Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
I'd like to extract video and audio from a .MKV-container for a project in Adobe Premiere. It's okay if the video-file ends up being a .TS-file since I can import that straight into Premiere, but the audio-file needs to be something usable, like MP3. I know there's a lot of software out there to extract and software convert, but I have not found something that will extract and convert to something I can import into Premiere at the same time. Does anyone know if such software exists? I've tried MKVextract and tsMuxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FFmpeg? It can handle every conceivable container and can encode/decode/transcode to and from almost every video and audio format.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

The_Franz posted:

FFmpeg? It can handle every conceivable container and can encode/decode/transcode to and from almost every video and audio format.
I've just downloaded this but I'm seeing no .exe-file. Am I missing something?

edit: Wait. I'm guessing I'll need the windows package
edit2: Got it now. Not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm not good with software that has no GUI.

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 29, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

If you just need to separate the audio and video from the mkv without transcoding anything, then something like this should work:

code:
ffmpeg -i input_file.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec none video_out.ts -vcodec none -acodec copy audio_out.mp3

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

The_Franz posted:

If you just need to separate the audio and video from the mkv without transcoding anything, then something like this should work:

code:
ffmpeg -i input_file.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec none video_out.ts -vcodec none -acodec copy audio_out.mp3
That should work I'm sure. But I'm not really sure where to put the file that I'd like to extract.

edit: moved the file to a new directory and typed in the exact same line. "Unknown encoder 'none'"

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 29, 2014

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Try this package for both multiplexing a mkv file and extracting streams.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Rosoboronexport posted:

https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Try this package for both multiplexing a mkv file and extracting streams.
This should be the only option. MKVtoolnix will very easily (and with a GUI) extract the streams from the MKV container.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Just tried MKVtoolnix. I'm still running into the problem that Adobe Premiere will NOT import the extracted files. I now have an .h264 and a .dts file. These are not supported. Basically I'm looking for something that extracts and converts both video and audio to something that I can use in Adobe Premiere without losing (a lot of) quality. I'm not sure if something like this exists.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Ninja fetus posted:

Just tried MKVtoolnix. I'm still running into the problem that Adobe Premiere will NOT import the extracted files. I now have an .h264 and a .dts file. These are not supported. Basically I'm looking for something that extracts and converts both video and audio to something that I can use in Adobe Premiere without losing (a lot of) quality. I'm not sure if something like this exists.
[h/x]264 - http://www.x264pro.com/
DTS - http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=98&lang=en

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Thanks. Do you know if there are free alternatives?

Spelter
Jul 18, 2007
Are you puissant?

Ninja fetus posted:

You may need to repackage the raw H.264 stream into a .MP4 file, which is the normal container format for H.264. Not many apps will accept raw H.264 but they are normally OK with MP4 files. You can do this with MP4Box - http://gpac.wp.mines-telecom.fr/mp4box/ or straight from the MKV with Mkv2Mp4 - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163050.

Unfortunately I've never heard of being able to package DTS audio in an .MP4 file. You probably will have to decode the audio to PCM or re-encode it to AAC in order to package it in the same .MP4 file.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Well. I figured it out. Used Tsmuxer to put the whole thing into a .ts-file. Hardly any quality loss there (maybe none, not sure how this works, just going by eye). Then I found a freeware program to convert the original mkv to an mp3 (320 kbps). That'll do. Still it surprises me it's so hard to find a piece of software to do all of it at once with a bunch of presets. Should be possible.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Ninja fetus posted:

Well. I figured it out. Used Tsmuxer to put the whole thing into a .ts-file. Hardly any quality loss there (maybe none, not sure how this works, just going by eye). Then I found a freeware program to convert the original mkv to an mp3 (320 kbps). That'll do. Still it surprises me it's so hard to find a piece of software to do all of it at once with a bunch of presets. Should be possible.

Why? Premiere is for video editing/encoding, and both H264 and DTS are already encoded. It's expecting uncompressed formats that would be straight out of the input device (e.g. RAW video, or WAV audio) so that any manipulations wouldn't incur a further quality loss.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

nexxai posted:

Why? Premiere is for video editing/encoding, and both H264 and DTS are already encoded. It's expecting uncompressed formats that would be straight out of the input device (e.g. RAW video, or WAV audio) so that any manipulations wouldn't incur a further quality loss.

H.264 is capable of encoding video losslessly. Regardless, there are many devices which encode captured footage lossily; particularly consumer hardware.

The reason good transcoding utilities aren't so easy to find is because it's something users rarely want to do, not because it's improper use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MeGUI should have all you need to extract, compress, and repackage video and audio files. I used it to extract streams from an .mkv file so it could play on my PS3, especially since MKV2VOB wanted to recompress it instead.

The .mkv file was Star Wars: Despecialized Edition :v:

• Locked thread