Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

VarDovoli posted:

Wondering how many in this thread even play an instrument :)

Can you only have an opinion on music if you play an instrument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I find it sorta hilariously sad that there are people who think "entry level" is a Thing in musical taste, t b h

e: this is an opinion brought to you by a player of no instruments and a knower of no theory.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Can you only have an opinion on music if you play an instrument?

Kind of a stupid question isn't it? Looks as though you just want to pick apart what I posted instead of checking out the music. I was "wondering" how many in this thread are musicians because, most of the sheep listen to the crap that's fed to them on the local airwaves. Lot's of people that listen to metal actually play. I guess that by choosing the word "even," I kind of set myself up for this. I find it refreshing that there are so many posts here linking really good metal. I meant nothing more by the statement.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
SHEEP

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

VarDovoli posted:

Kind of a stupid question isn't it? Looks as though you just want to pick apart what I posted instead of checking out the music. I was "wondering" how many in this thread are musicians because, most of the sheep listen to the crap that's fed to them on the local airwaves. Lot's of people that listen to metal actually play. I guess that by choosing the word "even," I kind of set myself up for this. I find it refreshing that there are so many posts here linking really good metal. I meant nothing more by the statement.
It is best in life, to only patronise art that is good; for example: Metal music, which is NOT crap for sheep to eat.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
gently caress yeh dude

I saw Gojira last week. I'd describe myself as a casual fan and they put on a really good show. Extremely tight musicians and the setlist was great. Go see em if you haven't.

I met Alex Webster from CC last month, he was a really cool guy. He introduced me to his friend that used to be in CC and Origin. We pretty much shot the poo poo on metal and the bass for a while (I play an instrument~)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
<-- plays an instrument

*adjusts monacle*

(sips tea with pinky extended, adjusts headphones to hear Archspire more clearly)

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Bruce Boxliker posted:

gently caress yeh dude

I saw Gojira last week. I'd describe myself as a casual fan and they put on a really good show. Extremely tight musicians and the setlist was great. Go see em if you haven't.

I met Alex Webster from CC last month, he was a really cool guy. He introduced me to his friend that used to be in CC and Origin. We pretty much shot the poo poo on metal and the bass for a while (I play an instrument~)

Nice man. I'll bet it was a great time talking to them. I got to talk to the CC guys after a show in New Orleans a few years ago at the House of Booze (Blues).

For those of you that are aspiring check this girl out... 4/4 with some 7/8 in parts if you know what I mean. Good stuff that's not hard to watch :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yw8aaqnnrg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

I'm fairly certain that noted World of Warcraft player and goony motherfucker George Fisher does not take his job that seriously. Cannibal Corpse is awesome for what it is. I hope you both get Followed Home Then Killed.

I was listening to a streaming metal station once and he introduced a live version of "hosed with a Knife" as being "one for the ladies". I think there's at least some self-awareness there.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"one for the ladies".

:skeltal: That's good poo poo right there!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like this plan, say stupid things on the internet and then when people call me on it complain they didn't read between the lines.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

xzzy posted:

I like this plan, say stupid things on the internet and then when people call me on it complain they didn't read between the lines.

I will assume that this is directed at me and if so, I will also assume that you can't tell the difference between and explanation and complaining. Also, please show me where I was "called" on anything. If in fact I was, it was so weak and inept that I missed it.

hungry_mantis
Nov 28, 2013
no matter what your opinion may be on cannibal corpse, i have always liked them because they always bring great bands out with them on headlining tours. plus their shows are usually packed

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Hope everyone's having a merry loving hell old Finnish metal day. Stone loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKduDhR7Y1Q

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

VarDovoli posted:

Nice man. I'll bet it was a great time talking to them. I got to talk to the CC guys after a show in New Orleans a few years ago at the House of Booze (Blues).

For those of you that are aspiring check this girl out... 4/4 with some 7/8 in parts if you know what I mean. Good stuff that's not hard to watch :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yw8aaqnnrg

Yeah we've all seen Meytal Cohen play old songs

Instead watch this girl who plays like a champ and doesn't have to wear high heels to get attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NZImxGQEFY
https://www.youtube.com/user/tkmdr

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

I like this day, do I have to play an instrument to participate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUs3TgYRPQ

:whatup:

I've discovered this really weird Finnish death metal band Nomicon recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i0RhECiMdQ

It feels like listening to a Demilich song put together in really weird ways, except with a vocalist more like Hellwitch. Discovering really quirky tech metal demos is always fun.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014
Wow she's killa.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
bolt thrower

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Weird is kind of a hallmark for Finnish DM, about 80% of their death/grind scene decided to play fusion or death n roll after about 1992. See Xysma for a great example of this (Yeah still rules as an album).

[edit] Could the dissenter not even link a good Deicide album? Come on, it's not like there's more than two of them.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I was listening to a streaming metal station once and he introduced a live version of "hosed with a Knife" as being "one for the ladies". I think there's at least some self-awareness there.

He's been introducing "hosed with a Knife" that way for years. It's quite the bon mot.

I saw CC on some catastrophe of a festival tour with Gwar, In Flames, and a few others maybe ten years ago. George Fisher called my wife and I "a couple of faggots" for sitting halfway up the pavilion seating eating rice krispie treats instead of joining the other 200 or so attendees down in the pit.

That's my Corpsegrinder story, and I play several instruments

Anyway, the new Dawnbringer dropped yesterday. It's good, full of riffs and self-indulgent guitar wankery that would make J. Mascis blush, but I feel that while on the one hand he's honing his sound toward something very consistent, they're in danger of contracting Amon Amarth disease and putting out the same record over and over.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The Clit Avoider posted:

[edit] Could the dissenter not even link a good Deicide album? Come on, it's not like there's more than two of them.

legion is god tier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z37idiyphig

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
It is.

Here's one of the best releases to come out of France. Utterly brilliant, atmospheric death metal.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Weird is kind of a hallmark for Finnish DM, about 80% of their death/grind scene decided to play fusion or death n roll after about 1992. See Xysma for a great example of this (Yeah still rules as an album).

I sometimes wonder if aliens landed in Finland. Demilich, Skepticism, Thergothon, Cartilage, Endermic, Funcunt, Paraxism... so many inexplicable bands came out of there. Especially bizarre when you consider that such a huge portion of Finnish metal sounds like unicorns vomiting glitter. (That's not meant as an insult, a lot of those bands are pretty fun.)

Also, gently caress yes Catacomb! Does the :cthulhu: schtick really well.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

The Clit Avoider posted:

Now there's something wrong with the Deicide that I chose to link? LOL 2, 11 same thing I'm guessing. Yeah that's right, Glen Benton has put out 11. Facts? I guess Six Feet Under is poo poo too right?

This sucks too I'm guessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLBAYR_BRc

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The point was there are only two good deicide albums. Which was pretty clear, barring mental dysfunction.

And yes, 6 feet under suck, as do dying fetus.

forever the best version of into the grave. Sick disgust eternal!

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

The Clit Avoider posted:

The point was there are only two good deicide albums. Which was pretty clear, barring mental dysfunction.

And yes, 6 feet under suck, as do dying fetus.

forever the best version of into the grave. Sick disgust eternal!

According to who? You? What makes your opinion right?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Dude you're getting way too offended by someone not liking something you like.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

VarDovoli posted:

According to who? You? What makes your opinion right?

Well you see he plays guitar

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You gotta admit he has you there

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

Dude you're getting way too offended by someone not liking something you like.

LOL nah man. I think it's funny actually.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Wrong again. I'm a drummer. I've been playing music since I was 6. My mother made me take piano lessons for 7 years as a child. At about 12 I started playing snare in concert band in school. My parents ended up buying me a Gretch kit and I ended up in Jazz Band in school. I've played lots of different genres over the years from country, or funk to metal.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
That's a super sick skull poster there.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

That's a super sick skull poster there.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey could you please shut the gently caress up for a while and stop replying to every goddamn post.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's been a year and a half since Imprecation released this and drat, it's still incredible. I can't quite describe the feeling of it, but it has a very controlled, dark feeling and atmosphere to both the sound and progression of the album.

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/satanae-tenebris-infinita

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 30, 2014

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
All death metal bands that aren't Dismember are terrible

y'all can stop bickering now

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

het posted:

Hey could you please shut the gently caress up for a while and stop replying to every goddamn post.

Yeah sure man. Could you get a loving personality and not be a dick?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Who's the best dummer in the world, VarDovoli? Joey Jordison or Mike Portnoy?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really don't think Something Awful is the website for you.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

I really don't think Something Awful is the website for you.

LOL Awww I'm not liked because, I stand up for myself? Fair enough.

Stoat posted:

Who's the best dummer in the world, VarDovoli? Joey Jordison or Mike Portnoy?

I'd vote for Buddy Rich.

Peace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No, it's because you came into a metal discussion thread that's been going on for years and were shocked that people weren't talking about stuff that most of us discovered in high school and have moved on from. Then your response to all of that was effectively "that's just your opinion, man," thus contributing even less to the discussion then you would by posting "Have you guys heard of Deicide???" and leaving.