Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cowman posted:

I need some help. One of the fans on my GTX 760 died so I ordered a new GPU cooler since the card is fine. I bought the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 3 since it has pretty good reviews and I thought it would be a simple swap. Obviously, it isn't. The instructions for installation are really bad and I can't comprehend them at all. On top of that, when I was searching around for an installation video or guide, many reviews had the nebulous claim of not needing some of the parts. Should I just send this back and get a different one or can someone help me figure out how to install this thing?

Card is probably under warranty unless its like pny garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Goddamnit nVidia, announce the next iteration of 970s already so I can rest assured I'm not falling into the early adopter/buyer's remorse trap.

I just KNOW that if I order now, there'll be a revision around the corner. Broader memory bus perhaps, full hardware compatibility for DX12...

Has anyone run some benchmarks on 3440x1440 yet? I would really like to make the jump, but also avoid the SLI route...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mcbexx posted:

Goddamnit nVidia, announce the next iteration of 970s already so I can rest assured I'm not falling into the early adopter/buyer's remorse trap.

I just KNOW that if I order now, there'll be a revision around the corner. Broader memory bus perhaps, full hardware compatibility for DX12...

Has anyone run some benchmarks on 3440x1440 yet? I would really like to make the jump, but also avoid the SLI route...

It's extremely unlikely there'll be a 970 refresh any time before their typical "it's almost Spring, nerds - here's some new poo poo" reveals around March/April with no intent to sell until late-ish May to early August.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Woot my 970s shipped. Will be here tomorrow.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

My 970 is sitting in a warehouse about a mile from where I work.

drat you UPS! :argh:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Start walking.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try this one, even though it still isn't technically 'single slot' - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836

And you could try finding this: http://www.techpowerup.com/206212/galaxy-intros-single-slot-geforce-gtx-750-ti-razor-graphics-card.html

Someone also found out that you could buy an old 6600GT (working or non-working) from eBay and slap it on a 750 or 750Ti, but that's a *small* HSF.

There are also single-slot Gainward 750s on eBay, but Gainward no longer has a US support network.

Turns out none of these options are feasible for me. Should I just settle for that GT 640 I originally linked?

edit: Talked to an NVIDIA support rep, and they said I'd be fine with the GT 640. The GTX 750 will of course perform better but not significantly so, according to them.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2014

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this at this point, but I'm going to post it hoping it is.

To potential or working game developers working on small/free projects: I contacted Nvidia regarding licensing HBAO+ and VXGI for a standalone, free game.

This was the response:

quote:

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your interest in our technology. We will be providing HBAO+ binaries for PC shortly on developer.nvidia.com. VXGI will still require some more time.

Thanks

Monier

So basically, yes if you're a professional game developer you can contact Nvidia and get either of these technologies now for a price, or if you're like me, you can wait a little while and they'll be available for free :)

I don't want to sound like a Nvidia fanboy, but I really doubt I'd get the same response if I contacted AMD about... (remind me what AMD has besides TresFX?). I really like how Nvidia really goes out of their way to support game developers and even write tutorials for free to aid in that.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

mcbexx posted:

Gigbyte already has a newer revision for the G1.

The only thing I'm worried about is everyone complaining about coil whine.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Swartz posted:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this at this point, but I'm going to post it hoping it is.

To potential or working game developers working on small/free projects: I contacted Nvidia regarding licensing HBAO+ and VXGI for a standalone, free game.

This was the response:

So basically, yes if you're a professional game developer you can contact Nvidia and get either of these technologies now for a price, or if you're like me, you can wait a little while and they'll be available for free :)

I don't want to sound like a Nvidia fanboy, but I really doubt I'd get the same response if I contacted AMD about... (remind me what AMD has besides TresFX?). I really like how Nvidia really goes out of their way to support game developers and even write tutorials for free to aid in that.

you don't have to license poo poo from AMD, TressFX is entirely open source, you can download the code today

how is that worse?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Amazon has the ASUS STRIX-GTX 970 for $350 (pre-tax) and free S+H. I just put in an order for one.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You basically said "I don't want to sound like an nvidia fanboy but let me just poo poo talk AMD for no real reason"

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

beejay posted:

You basically said "I don't want to sound like an nvidia fanboy but let me just poo poo talk AMD for no real reason"

I wasn't really trying to talk poo poo, I was seriously wondering: besides TressFX what does AMD has that Nvidia doesn't?

However seeing as how I just opened a can of worms: my apologies to AMD. I've had some AMD cards and never had issues with them.

quote:

you don't have to license poo poo from AMD, TressFX is entirely open source, you can download the code today

how is that worse?

It's not worse, that's pretty good actually. I didn't know that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Gigbyte already has a newer revision for the G1.

The only thing I'm worried about is everyone complaining about coil whine.

Where did you see this? Whats new/different?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I'm not sure if this is actually that new or not, but here;

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041190871#post1041190871

Seems like some people are having better luck with coil whine with the 1.1 rev.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

calusari posted:

Okay, now show me where I can freely get the Mantle SDK.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Mantle is still in beta/limited access, but when ready for release it will be freely available, as I understand it. Devs can apply to join the beta.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AMD has also made quite a lot of information about the GCN architecture public. I don't think Nvidia has published anything equivalent about Kepler or Maxwell.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Should I wait to RMA my card until they have a 1.2 revision or should I do it now and get the 1.1? My card has coil whine but only at super high frame rates. Is coil whine more than an annoyance? I'm guessing they don't cross ship, I have to mail my card back and they ship me a new one? Do they pay for return shipping and any idea on the turn around time?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

r0ck0 posted:

Should I wait to RMA my card until they have a 1.2 revision or should I do it now and get the 1.1? My card has coil whine but only at super high frame rates. Is coil whine more than an annoyance? I'm guessing they don't cross ship, I have to mail my card back and they ship me a new one? Do they pay for return shipping and any idea on the turn around time?

Coil whine isn't hurting your card, it's just an annoyance. It's from the literal coils in the power circuitry vibrating, and used to be fixed by just dropping some hot glue on them. It's pretty much impossible to do that with current cards though, since no one makes them with exposed coils anymore.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

beejay posted:

Mantle is still in beta/limited access, but when ready for release it will be freely available, as I understand it. Devs can apply to join the beta.

Yeah, I'm just annoyed because I want to have a look at it without having to go through hoops registering as a developer, especially since we have zero plans to use it at work, being Unreal licensees.

There have been claims that Mantle allows manually controlling Crossfire, which I am certain is bullshit but no way to know for sure.

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 30, 2014

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Saw that poo poo and RMA'ed my card immediately. "Anecdotally, my old rev 1.0 cards whined like a dolphin at the dentist." just like my card. I had luck with suppressing the whine with Nvidia Inspector and oc'ing the jesus out of the card but as soon as I returned the card to its original settings it would whine like crazy. After paying so much money for a piece of hardware, I just want it to work properly without having to jam up the volume before sitting next to the computer becomes tolerable. Then again, the next card I get might whine even louder. :shepicide:

Kornjaca fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I have the 1.1 rev which I bought from newegg last week and no coil whine at all. I think with how quickly they have been going out of stock chances are if you buy from now on you will get a 1.1 rev card.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 30, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My MSI GTX 980 (gaming edition) just shipped today. Please tell me we're not on a revision watch for MSI, too!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

pmchem posted:

My MSI GTX 980 (gaming edition) just shipped today. Please tell me we're not on a revision watch for MSI, too!

Just peel the fan sticker really carefully. That poo poo is really stuck on.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

And the price wars continue! AMD's flagship Radeon R9 290X graphics card prices cut to an insanely compelling $300

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
But think of the amount of money you'd save on the power bill if you went with the GTX 970!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

DaNzA posted:

But think of the amount of money you'd save on the power bill if you went with the GTX 970!

Poopsock 14 hours of games a week at $0.20 per KWH and that's $15 a year.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

Poopsock 14 hours of games a week at $0.20 per KWH and that's $15 a year.

Well poo poo, I could be saving well into the thousands a year.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

DaNzA posted:

I would buy AMD but they seem to ask for a minimum of 750w PSU, whearas the 970's I'm looking at ask for about 500w (using Corsair 650w).

I pay a flat rate for electricity though so I couldn't give a toss about that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
GPU power supply recommendations have less to do with reality than they have to do with worst-case scenarios, like some moron buying a fire-hazard PSU and blaming the new video card for the ensuing explosion because "it worked *before* I put in your lousy card, so obviously the card was the problem!"

Though that said, 750W isn't really off the mark for pairing a 290X with an FX-9590. :shrug:

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Today I'm upgrading from a radeon 6870 to a MSI GTX 970, running BF4 on ultra instead of medium / low is gonna be sweet :allears:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Factory Factory posted:

GPU power supply recommendations have less to do with reality than they have to do with worst-case scenarios, like some moron buying a fire-hazard PSU and blaming the new video card for the ensuing explosion because "it worked *before* I put in your lousy card, so obviously the card was the problem!"

Though that said, 750W isn't really off the mark for pairing a 290X with an FX-9590. :shrug:

In regards to these PSU recommendations, I want to get a second GTX 970 for SLI, but I'm not sure my PSU can handle it (though pcpartspicker seems to think so).
I have a Corsair TX650 that's around 3 years old. Think I can manage to squeeze SLI out of it?

The rest of my system is a bit old and not really a big power draw:
2500k CPU (OC'd to 4.2Ghz)
Cheap Asus motherboard
8gb RAM
Hard drive
SSD
Sound card

Swartz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 30, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jan posted:

There have been claims that Mantle allows manually controlling Crossfire, which I am certain is bullshit but no way to know for sure.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

I wouldn't be surprised if GL-next and DX12 had a similar level of control over multi-GPU scenarios since developers want it and it means that the IHVs wouldn't have to spend time building support into their drivers for every application.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Swartz posted:

In regards to these PSU recommendations, I want to get a second GTX 970 for SLI, but I'm not sure my PSU can handle it (though pcpartspicker seems to think so).
I have a Corsair TX650 that's around 3 years old. Think I can manage to squeeze SLI out of it?

Cheap Asus motherboard
8gb RAM
Hard drive
SSD
Sound card

always good to have some headroom: more efficient, less heat/noise. eVGA has some really nice rebrands

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Swartz posted:

Cheap Asus motherboard
8gb RAM
Hard drive
SSD
Sound card

You could very well fit three 970s on that PSU without hitting its cap (you'd be close though and there likely wouldn't be enough connectors), two will be well and truly reasonable. Two 145w cards, +150w rough overestimate for the rest of system still gives you 200w headroom.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I would buy AMD but they seem to ask for a minimum of 750w PSU, whearas the 970's I'm looking at ask for about 500w (using Corsair 650w).

I pay a flat rate for electricity though so I couldn't give a toss about that.

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/10/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_sli_4k_video_card_review/10#.VFGlkS6zQnq

SLI 980s not even cracking the 500w mark v 290Xes pushing 750 :stare:

The CPU used in that test was a 3770k at 4.8ghz of all things, so I'm sure that needed a decent voltage bump as well.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BurritoJustice posted:

You could very well fit three 970s on that PSU without hitting its cap (you'd be close though and there likely wouldn't be enough connectors), two will be well and truly reasonable. Two 145w cards, +150w rough overestimate for the rest of system still gives you 200w headroom.

Thanks for that answer.

Unfortunately though I found that my motherboard is not SLI compatible (P8P67 rev 3.1, not deluxe or pro) :(

I guess I'll wait and do the following:
Upgrade my system when SkyLake comes out, get a non-lovely mobo (last time I'll use the parts picking thread for mobo recommendations...sorry guys but that list has screwed me twice now), sell GTX 970 4gb and get 2x GTX 970 8gb when they come out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Swartz posted:

This was the response:

TressFX isn't an AMD exclusive anymore, they made it available to everyone so that it works with Nvidia cards too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wow. This is pretty crazy, doesn't the 290X generally fall between the 970 and 980.