Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Nate RFB posted:

Réalta Nua was ported to the PC in 2012 as three separate games/installs, one for each route (they share the same save file directory). A translation patch for this version was released relatively recently: http://realtapatch.tumblr.com/

This patch is better, it has the same translation as the one you posted but also adds all sorts of extra's that were PSVita only.

Including the vita soundtrack, the vita openings, and a bunch of other stuff.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/4745-Fate-Stay-Night-Realta-Nua-PC-version-Mirror-Moon-TL-insertion-project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Myurton posted:

This patch is better, it has the same translation as the one you posted but also adds all sorts of extra's that were PSVita only.

Including the vita soundtrack, the vita openings, and a bunch of other stuff.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/4745-Fate-Stay-Night-Realta-Nua-PC-version-Mirror-Moon-TL-insertion-project

That one is actually linked on the FAQ in Nate's link as well.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Yeah but how many people would think to actually read the faq?

I know I wouldn't.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's kind of a weird patch to set up, to say nothing of how many people probably downloaded it and tried to get it to work on the DVD version of FSN. It seems to me like it'd be a good idea to read as many instructions for it as possible :shobon: E: Although I'd completely understand skipping the asinine "watchme" for the patch on Beast's Lair.

As for the other patch while the Vita openings are pretty rad make sure you check the default options when you start it up. Its default setup is something like the original game version with all its warts and the Vita music remixes, both of which I suspect a good number of players will not want.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 29, 2014

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Why does everyone think the original Fate anime was so bad? It was my introduction to the franchise, and I liked it a lot. It made me a fan, and I've watched every Fate show that's been put out since then. Was it just an unfaithful adaptation? I've never really played (read?) any visual novels.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Keska posted:

Why does everyone think the original Fate anime was so bad? It was my introduction to the franchise, and I liked it a lot. It made me a fan, and I've watched every Fate show that's been put out since then. Was it just an unfaithful adaptation? I've never really played (read?) any visual novels.

The animation quality was kinda wonky at times, the mis-mash of elements from fate & UBW didn't really work and the infamous dragon-scene was ridiculous. It had some things going for it like actually showing Archers fight with Berserker from Fate and adding some sweet OST to the franchise. I guess I'd say it was ok but playing the VN some years later kinda soured me on it. :shrug:

Also, lets not forget.

I mean sure that sentence makes total sense within the context of the VN, not so much within the context of the anime. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For starters, it only adapted Fate which is easily the least popular route. FSN is supposed to be a story about how broken a person Shirou is and by only going through Fate you basically get no semblance of a character arc for him. You just get this annoying, doe-eyed, chauvinistic, and hopelessly generic shounen idealistic hero. It also attempted to shoehorn in elements from other routes in an attempt to amalgam it into some sort of representation of the full story. So you get parts like Sakura being Rin's sister getting revealed without any of the narrative weight or character development it is supposed to entail. The production values predictably were also quite poor. It isn't as outright bad as the *ahem* Tsukihime anime, but it is an aggressively mediocre adaptation no matter how you slice it.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
I have both the original F/SN anime and the Tsukihime anime on DVD sitting on my shelf, and while they're both sort of terrible, I don't actually regret the money I spent on the former. The latter? Eugh. I wish someone had told me how terrible it was before I'd spent money on it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Xoidanor posted:

I mean sure that sentence makes total sense within the context of the VN, not so much within the context of the anime. :v:

The very next line is "that's the way it should be." It makes perfect sense even in the anime, that screencap is just a joke that got really overblown.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ArchetypeBlue posted:

I have both the original F/SN anime and the Tsukihime anime on DVD sitting on my shelf, and while they're both sort of terrible, I don't actually regret the money I spent on the former. The latter? Eugh. I wish someone had told me how terrible it was before I'd spent money on it.

The Tsukihime anime fascinates me because I wonder what made the studio behind it look at the source material and go, "God, everything needs to be more depressing!"

I mean, I could at least understand the art direction, seeing as how Takeuchi's old sprites were very wonky, but the complete 180 change in tone and characterization...?

Compendium fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 29, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The very next line is "that's the way it should be." It makes perfect sense even in the anime, that screencap is just a joke that got really overblown.

I'd disagree. The anime notably toned down just how much Shirou cheated death troughout Fate by Avalon and since the dead ends obviously couldn't happen in the anime it kinda lost its meaning.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"People die if they are killed... that's the way it should be." *Returns the magical artifact that has been keeping him alive*

I'm sorry, but if you can't follow the reasoning in that it says more about you than the anime.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Meanwhile, in spinoff land....

How come the loli manga is also the coolest TM-related action manga?

E: Goddamnit why can't I put a timg inside a spoiler.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 29, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Because Ilya is the best Fate character and thus the manga starring her is automatically the best.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nope, still don't care.

Kyte posted:

How come the loli manga is also the coolest TM-related action manga?
Don't people like the Tsukihime manga?

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Eh, I guess the translation in the Fate anime was a little awkward, but it was on par for anime coming out at the time.

I was really puzzled when I found out the game it was based on wasn't a fighting game, tho.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't want to read that lovely manga, but goddamn that image is awesome and I kinda want to know the context behind it.

Not enough to read it though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Last I checked the entire crew is in an alternate dimension to rescue Miya, and it turns out that Miya is basically alternate dimension Ilya. Her brother is alternate dimension Shirou, and he was imprisoned after trying to bust Miya out of her lovely life. Young Gilgamesh (I think) busted him out, and presumably he's off to try to save his sister again because it's not like rotting in a prison for a couple of months would make you weaker.

Also that is not Ilya to the side of him, but her past self given form by absorbing the powers of the Archer class card, which conveniently mirror EMIYA's powers. No, really.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't want to read that lovely manga, but goddamn that image is awesome and I kinda want to know the context behind it.

Not enough to read it though.

If you skip to the end of Zwei you get to the alternate world arc where most of the cool stuff happens.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Last I checked the entire crew is in an alternate dimension to rescue Miya, and it turns out that Miya is basically alternate dimension Ilya. Her brother is alternate dimension Shirou, and he was imprisoned after trying to bust Miya out of her lovely life. Young Gilgamesh (I think) busted him out, and presumably he's off to try to save his sister again because it's not like rotting in a prison for a couple of months would make you weaker.

Also that is not Ilya to the side of him, but her past self given form by absorbing the powers of the Archer class card, which conveniently mirror EMIYA's powers. No, really.

There was also the throwaway line about the alternate world being the past of the "notes" world, on the brink of destruction, with Miyu being a natural Grail which the bad guy wants to use to transform the humans in the "new humans" of Notes, permitting them to survive the Grain

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Keska posted:

Eh, I guess the translation in the Fate anime was a little awkward, but it was on par for anime coming out at the time.

I was really puzzled when I found out the game it was based on wasn't a fighting game, tho.

Honestly, it's kind of like Higurashi, where if you haven't read the source material you won't understand why everyone thinks the adaptation is kind of rear end. I know plenty of people who thought the original Fate anime was pretty good, but none of them ever read the VN either, same with Higurashi.

As its own thing it's not terrible, it's just not good comparatively.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Fate anime is justified entirely because it gave me Liam O Brien as Archer and Grant George as Gilgamesh. Then Fate/Zero took the latter from me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The problem for me is mainly that by adapting the first route, you basically miss out on all of the main themes of the story - the idea of the two choices Shirou makes, in UBW, and in HF. Without that theme, Fate's story is just a series of events that happen. Some baddies appear, get nuked by overwhelming firepower, happy ending. Only UBW and HF are interesting as fundamentally stories about protagonists having realisations about themselves.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I guess you can get the same sour feeling as the VN reader if you watch Deen's Fate AFTER UFOtable's Zero +UBL + HA movie.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Fangz posted:

The problem for me is mainly that by adapting the first route, you basically miss out on all of the main themes of the story - the idea of the two choices Shirou makes, in UBW, and in HF. Without that theme, Fate's story is just a series of events that happen. Some baddies appear, get nuked by overwhelming firepower, happy ending. Only UBW and HF are interesting as fundamentally stories about protagonists having realizations about themselves.

"It is time for your confession, Emyia Shirou."

KoB
May 1, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

The Fate anime is justified entirely because it gave me Liam O Brien as Archer and Grant George as Gilgamesh. Then Fate/Zero took the latter from me.

Also Lancer and his GAY BULGE

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KoB posted:

Ah yes, how could I forget the Gay Bulge? God that dub was the loving best.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

KoB posted:

My Celtic literature teacher pronounced it that way too and he assuredly did not know about fate/ stay.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

My Celtic literature teacher pronounced it that way too and he assuredly did not know about fate/ stay.

maybe he was hitting on you

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Scrree posted:

"It is time for your confession, Emyia Shirou."

Man people rag on Fate but it has some real good bits to it people just forget about. Going down into Kotomine's basement funhouse is some seriously unsettling poo poo.

Also no Kyte, Magical Girl Lyrical Ilya is not better than the Tsukihime manga. Hell, it's not even better than Melty Blood or Melty Blood: ReAct.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Prisma Illya owns what are y'all going on about.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the correct pronunciation, doesn't stop it being funny.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Hollow/Ataraxia epilogue question: how is everyone still alive? i get rin, sakura and rider being there but saber is there too and lancer is mentioned as being alive still. is it basically just some kind of perfect parallel world where no one except for kotomine died?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Prisma gives me Gilgamesh being funny and awesome, I want more of that.

Beef Waifu posted:

That's a shame as so far it seems like the English dub producers have done a good job keeping some of the casting in-jokes; such as Alucard being Kotomine (Crispin Freeman).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's honestly more of a casting gag at this point that Jamieson Price voices George Nakata characters what with the fact he voiced both Nero Chaos in the Tsukihime anime and Kirei in both Deen anime.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Budget Cop posted:

Hollow/Ataraxia epilogue question: how is everyone still alive? i get rin, sakura and rider being there but saber is there too and lancer is mentioned as being alive still. is it basically just some kind of perfect parallel world where no one except for kotomine died?

Sequel is in the Eclipse section, which is non-canon/ero stuff, so it's not meant to be taken seriously and doesn't follow any of the F/SN routes follows up the Carnival Phantasm route.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 30, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Tsukihime manga owns in case anyone was wondering

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i read the tsukihime manga recently and was Shiki heroically threatening to rape ciel in the original because that was pretty silly

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah. It wasn't any less silly in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Tsukihime manga owns in case anyone was wondering

Those scenes are not even half as dynamic, though.

Which is, y'know, kind of important in an action manga.