Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Monster Strike is the latest of dragonesques to hit North American shores (gently caress you Europe). Featuring a weird hybrid of billiards and pinball (or Metal Walker if you ever played that) and designed by SFII and Final Fight alum Yoshiki Okamoto, it's become so popular in Japan that it's even managed to dethrone Puzzle & Dragons as the nation's top grossing app.

Here have a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAqXX1iRJpY

Here have an IRC
#monstrike@irc.synirc.net
and a friendslist
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDIVpwTy-da91e1rd_029b3O5RbTOBpQKjiv5kks2iE/edit#gid=0

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-strike/id906287108?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.mixi.monsterstrikeUS
- APK: https://app.box.com/s/fefmzf8nf9vuockeicuk

Co-op
This game supports co-op with up to four players, each controlling a monster. Not only are rewards duplicated for each member of the party, only the party leader spends stamina to run the dungeon. This allows players to chain run dungeons and helps play sessions last much longer than the average dragonesque. We use LINE to manage lobby invitations, as the app is natively supported by Monstrike itself. You'll need a phone number or a Facebook login to sign up. Join the goon group by scanning the QR code from "Add Friends" from within the app:

You get 5 stones for the first ten unique players you co-op with and 1 stone for the next 90 thereafter (make sure to turn on push notifications), leading to a huge windfall of premium currency early on in the game to get your box up and running. The game is balanced around co-op, even featuring dungeons exclusively playable with others, so party early and party hard.

Rerolling
The bad news is that this game has a fairly brutal rerolling process as far as scarcity of keepable monsters goes. The good news is that rerolling is super fast compared to PAD or Terra Battle, and due to modularity and co-op, whatever monster you end up keeping is viable all the way to endgame. If you're using iFunbox or a rooted Android to reroll, the file to delete is data10.bin. Otherwise, you'll have to download hotfixes every reroll attempt. Don't reroll on data because you'll use up a lot of bandwith redownloading everything each time.

The tier list, according to the latest version available in Japan, is below. Since our gatcha is currently not as strong as Japan's, I've added other monsters considered pretty good for our standards. Bolded monsters are what are currently attainable in America.
S tier:
Aladdin
Margarite
Belphegor
Yggdrasil
Red Riding Hood
Zeus
Arthur

A tier:
Sakamoto Ryouma
Napoleon
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Beethoven
Hunter King
Striker
Alice
Tini

B tier:
Uesugi Kenshin
Agnamute X
Mustang/Wildcat
Heracles
Athena
Agnamute (separate from X)
Harley X (NOT the regular version, who is considerably worse)
Satan
Loki
Odin

Other keepables:
Nanami
Nobunaga
Nobunaga X
Eclipse
Merlin
Apollo X
Mundus/World
Yukimura

Other game features that I'm explaining because people will ask otherwise
The primary method of increasing your monsters' levels is by feeding them Expies. You can get these from the friend hatcher, from Expie dungeons (check the Expie Forecast for when the next scheduled one will occur), or from bonus stages at the end of a dungeon tier. There are monsters that look similar to Expies called Backs which are only good for being sold for cash.

Luck affects the probability of obtaining additional drops at the end of a mission. If you're in co-op, each participating player gets a roll depending on the Luck of their lead monster. With lots of Luck, fun things like this can happen:

You can increase your Luck by fusing monsters in the same evolutionary line to each other. Yes, this means your hot REM exclusives probably aren't going to max out on luck unless you're an omega-tier hyper whale.

Monsters can evolve or ascend. Evolution takes stoans and sharls, obtainable as mission rewards from clearing normal dungeons, as rare drops from normal play, or as more common drops from daily dungeons. Divine Sharls are super rare and only come from the Hard versions of these dungeons, but are slightly more common on weekends. You also get one free Divine Sharl by clearing a certain co-op dungeon. Ascension requires monsters to perform, obtainable as boss drops from rotating dungeons. You can switch between evolutions or ascensions at any time provided you have the necessary materials.

The daily dungeon schedule is as follows:
Monday: Light & Dark
Tuesday: Fire
Wednesday: Water
Thursday: Wood
Friday: Gold Turtle money day
Saturday: Mixed Fire/Water/Light
Sunday: Mixed Wood/Dark

Morlings allow you to increase the stats of your monsters above what is normally attainable. Different Morlings specialize in each stat, and you can feed same-stat-type Morlings to each other to stack buffs before feeding them to your desired monster to save on money.

Striker Jr. is a rare drop from the friend hatcher. While his base stats suck his stats can be buffed to a high number after being fed Morlings. He's pretty much a whale trap for this reason though.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
can you explain this game to people who aren't obsessive japanospergs, OP?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

can you explain this game to people who aren't obsessive japanospergs, OP?

You have monsters that are represnted by orbs that you fling around a battlefield and smack other monster orbs / enemies like they were billiard balls

edit: here have a gif I pulled from some random youtube video

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 30, 2014

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It's a weird game of marbles where everything you hit shoots lasers.

You also have a bunch of anime-ized gods and poo poo turned into said marbles to do your bidding, who get more powerful via cannibalization.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Roll an Arthur. Join the Arthur squad. :v:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Roll an Arthur. Join the Arthur squad. :v:

:smuggo: pssshhh, scrub lord, real goons roll Zeus or go home.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Question - are any of the Special Event dungeons worth doing right now? Any useful drops I should be aiming for?

Also, this game is friggin' ridiculous when it comes to giving away stones:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dragon enthusiast posted:

You have monsters that are represnted by orbs that you fling around a battlefield and smack other monster orbs / enemies like they were billiard balls

edit: here have a gif I pulled from some random youtube video

SilverMike posted:

It's a weird game of marbles where everything you hit shoots lasers.

You also have a bunch of anime-ized gods and poo poo turned into said marbles to do your bidding, who get more powerful via cannibalization.

OK. Thank you for the prompt explanation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DaveWoo posted:

Question - are any of the Special Event dungeons worth doing right now? Any useful drops I should be aiming for?

Also, this game is friggin' ridiculous when it comes to giving away stones:

Considering how this game's setup, and that via Line groups you can basically play co-op 24/7, you really only need 2 solid units and the event ones all seem pretty terrible compared to the 5* REM stuff. Especially Zeus/Arthur and even Hunter/Striker/OdaX/Merlin/YUKIIIIMURAAAA are all noticeably better. If you started with Arthur or Zeus you really only need one more solid unit at most for when you play with only 2-3 people.

Once more units hit the US then some of the 100+ stones I have will get spent but the event units only seem to be there as trophies, fodder for ascension(?), or use if you have gotten gently caress-all from the REM. Even some of the 4* REM stuff is probably still better though.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I'm in as DontMindMe (445,372,061,480). I started playing when it popped up on Neogaf.

I got sick of re-rolling and went with Wildcat, but somehow managed to get Zeus later on thanks to the 50 stones from playing co-op matches.

jbitt
Dec 22, 2009

sencerly,
Originally I thought I wouldn't like this game, because it has the exact same skeleton as PAD and a lot of the monsters are similar, but holy poo poo is this game fun.

I really love the coop.

Currently I have an Arthur and a Striker my id is 267 623 910 671.

Let's do things.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
So I initially rolled a Hunter King and since it was like my 40th reroll I decided to keep it. Seemed like a pretty good monster, leveled him all the way to max and am currently waiting on obtaining enough drat consumables to evolve him.

Meanwhile yesterday I did the 10 rolls for 50 orbs thing on the hatcher and got an Apollo X. I've only leveled him up a bit but his attack stat is already surpassing HK's and the other stats are comparable, even without any morling boosts, and in battle I'm getting more utility out of his abilities so far.

Am I missing some key element of why HK is ostensibly higher on the tier list? Is his strike shot better than I think it is? Does he become absurd after he evolves?

Basically I guess I'm still acclimatizing myself to what does or doesn't make a monster good in this, stats- and abilities-wise.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

dropkickpikachu posted:

So I initially rolled a Hunter King and since it was like my 40th reroll I decided to keep it. Seemed like a pretty good monster, leveled him all the way to max and am currently waiting on obtaining enough drat consumables to evolve him.

Meanwhile yesterday I did the 10 rolls for 50 orbs thing on the hatcher and got an Apollo X. I've only leveled him up a bit but his attack stat is already surpassing HK's and the other stats are comparable, even without any morling boosts, and in battle I'm getting more utility out of his abilities so far.

Am I missing some key element of why HK is ostensibly higher on the tier list? Is his strike shot better than I think it is? Does he become absurd after he evolves?

Basically I guess I'm still acclimatizing myself to what does or doesn't make a monster good in this, stats- and abilities-wise.

http://www.monsterstrikedatabase.com/tierlist.html

This list has good explanations about why each monster is ranked the way it is. Often it's due to their evolved stats/abilities.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Ah, thanks, that link is a lot better than just a list of names in terms of helping explain the mechanical reasons the monsters are on the list. Now to figure out how to go about getting those monsters I need to ascend him...

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I've been playing this game for a few days already. Its extremely addictive. While the game does give out a lot of free orbs but I noticed that unless your hatched monsters are part of the top tier lists they are almost completely worthless. I started with Sanada because I got sick of rerolling. I managed to roll Nobunaga X, Lancelot, Lin Zi from all the free stones later on and out of all of them the only real good one is Nobunaga X. Compared to all the Arthurs and Harley X you see in co-op games I feel useless. Although it says Sanada is good with ascension, getting the monsters needed for it is going to take forever to come around, and even longer to complete the dungeon enough times to see multiple drops of the same monster needed for the ascension.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Anyone have a quick and dirty guide to setting up co-op games? Every time I try to join or host a random game it'll go through the location data business, never pulls up anyone for me to join, and nobody ever joins me. Is that strictly for playing within the same area? Through line works -sometimes- when I join, but whenever I try to host and join through the link I make it never seems to let me go through? I'm probably loving something up but the whole process seems really obtuse for being a really fun game otherwise.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Anyone have a quick and dirty guide to setting up co-op games? Every time I try to join or host a random game it'll go through the location data business, never pulls up anyone for me to join, and nobody ever joins me. Is that strictly for playing within the same area? Through line works -sometimes- when I join, but whenever I try to host and join through the link I make it never seems to let me go through? I'm probably loving something up but the whole process seems really obtuse for being a really fun game otherwise.

The game was originally local co-op only (much like Monster Hunter) and the true online co-op was only recently added in a bit of a hack job, assumedly for the western release (much like Monster Hunter).

Does Monster Strike appear to be completely restarting whenever you kiln your own LINE group? There's a thing that happens where your lobby resets to the last instantized one if you run out of RAM and MS gets put into suspend mode.

Note that the yellow "search for players" button is strictly for local play (within a few miles) while the green one is for creating online lobbies.

When you make a lobby and post it to the chat room, you need to click on the link yourself to join the room you created. Tabbing back to the game won't do anything. If you join somebody else's room and nothing shows up, usually that means either the host hasn't joined yet or he/she has already started the quest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I put together a google spreadsheet so people can add their profile info which should make it easier to find others to add to your friend list without having to scan over posts in the thread itself:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDIVpwTy-da91e1rd_029b3O5RbTOBpQKjiv5kks2iE/edit?usp=sharing

Able to toss it in the OP?

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

dragon enthusiast posted:

The game was originally local co-op only (much like Monster Hunter) and the true online co-op was only recently added in a bit of a hack job, assumedly for the western release (much like Monster Hunter).

Does Monster Strike appear to be completely restarting whenever you kiln your own LINE group? There's a thing that happens where your lobby resets to the last instantized one if you run out of RAM and MS gets put into suspend mode.

Note that the yellow "search for players" button is strictly for local play (within a few miles) while the green one is for creating online lobbies.

When you make a lobby and post it to the chat room, you need to click on the link yourself to join the room you created. Tabbing back to the game won't do anything. If you join somebody else's room and nothing shows up, usually that means either the host hasn't joined yet or he/she has already started the quest.

That all makes a lot of sense now! Thanks!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I'm new to this style of game, what should I be doing with a 2nd Zeus? Keeping him as a sub or feeding him to my main Zeus or something else entirely?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SilverMike posted:

I'm new to this style of game, what should I be doing with a 2nd Zeus? Keeping him as a sub or feeding him to my main Zeus or something else entirely?

Keep him. If nothing else you'll have him as a sub when you play solo or with 1 other person in co-op. Feeding rare summons to each other doesn't seem worth it at all in this game.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Yep, i fed my dupe Arthur and regretted it 5 mins later :< Oh well...

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Is it possible to throw your account on multiple devices using the backup feature, or does it lock on out when you activate the other?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The save structure is pretty similar to how PAD works so I'm guessing it will work, but you may get strange issues like stamina not appearing correctly or monsters not existing when they should.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
Is there a benefit to doing the 10 hatch pull for 50 orbs vs doing a single pull for 5 orbs each? Other then time?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

henn and potion posted:

Is there a benefit to doing the 10 hatch pull for 50 orbs vs doing a single pull for 5 orbs each? Other then time?

I think 10 pull normally guarantees you 4* and above, but with the event going, there should be no difference. Maybe it has higher 5* drop rate, but I don't think it does

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

gwrtheyrn posted:

I think 10 pull normally guarantees you 4* and above, but with the event going, there should be no difference. Maybe it has higher 5* drop rate, but I don't think it does

single pulls guarantees rares, while the 10 at once guarantees super rares.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Suicide Pacmen posted:

single pulls guarantees rares, while the 10 at once guarantees super rares.

Right now everything is guaranteed "super rares"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you got a Zeus, his Ascended mats are rotating in
http://us.monster-strike.com/news/extreme_event_quests_111_-_114.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Is there any word in Japan if/when Arthur's going to get an Ascended form? Zeus seems like he'd be SS Rank considering he can Ascend and take his already strong-as-gently caress 6* form to an even stronger form.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I had a poke around and couldn't find where its installed on android, I have my phone rooted but I just can't seem to find the folder :s

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Where do you farm Divine Sharls?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bengy81 posted:

Where do you farm Divine Sharls?

the op posted:

Divine Sharls are super rare and only come from the Hard versions of [daily] dungeons, but are slightly more common on weekends. You also get one free Divine Sharl by clearing a certain co-op dungeon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I ran through the normal dungeons until the co-op one with the divine sharl unlocked. It's not too hard to progress to that point if you have a decent leader and subs, or play co-op with people who aren't terrible or using 4* garbage.

Fatherwolf
Aug 2, 2012

What?
I am going to give this game a try as it seem like a cool way to do thing, i will put my account name when i am done re-rolling.

edit: re-rolled and did the tutorial a lot and nothing yet. Sadness.

edit 2: Finally rolled into an Arthur.

Fatherwolf fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 2, 2014

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So I rerolled A LOT because I am a huge nerd and now I have some leftover accounts for people who just want a 5* monster. Let me know on IRC or make a post here if you're interested.

A
HarleyX
Yukimura
Mundus

B
ApolloX
LancelotX

D
Hikari(apparently, really blehh, but it's 5*)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

This game is loving PAD x a billion in terms of crack-like "JUST ONE MORE" addiction. Time to re-roll like a savant.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yesterday I did a few co-op runs with random people and in one run I had an unlisted 5 star and a 4 star as the players helping me. I have a max level Queen Arthur and regular Arthur (yeah I rolled 2 of them :smuggo:) and holy poo poo it was the hardest goddamn challenge I ever had. The 4 star player kept ramming damage walls, which they weren't immune to, and they had something like 6k hp and 4.5k attack. It was painful and I can't stress how much running a 4 goon Zeus/Arthur murderteam trivializes a lot of fights in this game. Especially if you're chatting in IRC to plot out when to stall, or burn skills or whatever.

neurotech posted:

This game is loving PAD x a billion in terms of crack-like "JUST ONE MORE" addiction. Time to re-roll like a savant.

Congrats on your eventual Arthur or Zeus. :v:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Congrats on your eventual Arthur or Zeus. :v:

How many re-rolls did it take you guys before you got a keeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
One. :toot:

• Locked thread