Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Well, Kiefer technically hasn't voiced Solid Snake ever. Just Big Boss. I guess the switch is partly because they're no longer effectively the same character, personality-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Walker posted:

Well, Kiefer technically hasn't voiced Solid Snake ever. Just Big Boss. I guess the switch is partly because they're no longer effectively the same character, personality-wise.

No but Hayter already voiced Naked Snake / Big Boss, so its still a switch.

Can't get into Sutherland myself. :smith: Hayter was soooo good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Soooo, enough of dumbshit.txt, I found a friend with a copy of Drakengard 1 any tips for before I commit sudoku?

Use a guide, spam the poo poo out of Arioch.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

No but Hayter already voiced Naked Snake / Big Boss, so its still a switch.

Can't get into Sutherland myself. :smith: Hayter was soooo good.

Only reason i'm still on board is that it feels logical that Solid Snake and Big Boss will see screen time together and maybe Hayter comes back then. Well, and that the game looks like it's gonna be a good game. But i'm just as excited about MGS:TPP as i was about Shadow of Mordor at this point, which is still a fair bit, but it's not "holy poo poo new MGS, DROP EVERYTHING" and just "new cool game possibly".

Edit: Oh, this isn't even the MGS:TPP thread D:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 20, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anything for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days]? Last KH game i played was 2 and playing this at least i'm not lost in the plot but it does play kinda differently.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Anything for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days]? Last KH game i played was 2 and playing this at least i'm not lost in the plot but it does play kinda differently.

Fire, Fira, and Firaga all behave very differently from each other. The same can be said of all spells. The standout is Blizzara which sets a mine-like freezing trap that'll freeze just about anything and frozen enemies take MEGA damage from physical attacks.

Similarly, Roxas will perform vastly different comboes depending on what gear/keyblade he's equipped with.

Curaga is pretty useless in Single player.

You can replay just about any mission in the game all you want. I would suggest doing this to test out new spells/gears/decks in environments and encounters you're already familiar with.

When all else fails, limit spam.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

When all else fails, limit spam.

some things never change

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Some stuff for Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall Director's Cut:

• The pregenerated builds are solid embodiments of the main "classes" but the system is essentially classless. Study each one in the second "finishing points" screen to get an idea of what attributes/skills are important.
  • Seriously consider making your character from scratch however, as it will give you the maximum build points to work with and some pregens have some wasted allocation. For example, the pregen Mage has >1 Strength, which you will never need for that "class".
  • For those beginners, the easiest types of characters to play at first are medium-ranged direct damage dealers, namely 100% pure spellcasting mage or quickness/ranged combat/rifles street samurai. Note that mages now
    need some measure of Intelligence to cast the best spells.
  • Biotech of 2 is recommended to be able to see enemy HP in combat, and at 3 it enables some Karma rewards in the early game that partially reimburse investment into the skill.
  • In Dragonfall you are able to avail yourself of hired NPC runners as per the base game, but you also have a team who will work for free and can cover most of your bases. You can also pick up a few optional "free" team members at different points in the game to round things out.
  • Among the best (most-used) Etiquettes are Corporate, Security and Gang. Academic is also frequent (without many rewards) and the remainder are fairly rarely used.
  • One of the biggest changes in the Director's Cut is that cover and armor have become much more integral to combat. Armor points are explicit and directly reduce damage dealt, so armor piercing attacks and spells are much more important. Medium and heavy cover effectively negate criticals and reduce damage taken, while light cover simply reduces damage taken. Being "out in the open" or "flanked" means minimum of 1.0x damage. The rest of these points address the DC.
  • Melee strikes will "pop" targets out of cover for a round, as will certain special attacks. It's not quite X-Com but the DC changes to combat have definitely pushed it into that direction.
  • It is possible to reach the 50K nuyen mark before you run out of main missions to help with the fundraising - if you like, you can go meet your contact early for some added content.
  • A human mage, engaging all side missions and progressively buying attack spells to round out and fill their "spellbook", can expect to finish the game with upwards of 25K nuyen extra, and have enough Karma to max Willpower and Spellcasting and have healthy amounts in many other Attributes and Skills, so try out different things.
  • Even for Magic-using classes, there is a cyberware item that costs 0 Essence and semi-replicates Glory's ability that doesn't affect your cooldowns so don't forget to keep checking with the clinic.
  • The Lodge missions are odious but the ultimate reward is pretty worthwhile.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 22, 2014

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

Some stuff for Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall Director's Cut:

Could I stick this on a regular Dragonfall wiki page?

I don't know how much the Director's Cut changes, and whether those changes mean it needs its own dedicated wiki page.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Centipeed posted:

Could I stick this on a regular Dragonfall wiki page?

I don't know how much the Director's Cut changes, and whether those changes mean it needs its own dedicated wiki page.
Maybe just stick "(and all further points speak to the Director's Cut)" after the first time I mention Director's Cut and it should work if you want to do it that way.

E: n/m I just made the edit to my post.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 22, 2014

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Anything for Wing Commander 1+2? Going to buy it on GOG soon, and I've never played any of them before. In particular, what sort of control scheme should I be using?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

Maybe just stick "(and all further points speak to the Director's Cut)" after the first time I mention Director's Cut and it should work if you want to do it that way.

E: n/m I just made the edit to my post.

Thanks - I've put the tips on the wiki.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Some real simple tips for people just beginning Arcanum.

-Failing to pick a lock will jam it for one day
-When looting corpses, click on the body icon to see what equipment they have - the first screeen only shows the contents of their pockets, not what they are wearing/wielding.
-You can enter and exit combat mode at will by pressing R.
-To attack friendly characters or bash open chests and doors, hold down alt and click, while in combat mode.
-Here some of the more obscure acronyms used:
ED - Extra Damage
ER - Electrical Resistance
FR - Fire Resistance
FT - Fatigue
HT - Health
MSR - Minimum Strength Required
MR - Magick Resistance
NP - Noise Penalty
PR - Poison Resistance
RNG - Range
TH - To Hit

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just started Mass Effect 3, any points of no return or any other missables?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

I'm paraphrasing the wiki here: There is a clear endgame point of no return when you visit the Cerberus base. I think there's even a pop-up, but yeah, once you're in you're essentially locked in. There's also a halfway point in the game that changes things quite a bit on the Citadel; if I remember right, it's triggered by reading an urgent email after a few Priority missions, so if Traynor says you have one, wrap up your current sidequests before reading it.

A lot of the ambient fetch quests and "side with person A or person B" deals are one act only, acts being divided by Priority missions (I think it goes Palaven, Sur'Kesh, Tuchanka, etc.). They mostly serve as a source of extra spacebucks, but there are a few good story and character-related sidequests that are easily overlooked due to being tied to some tertiary nobody you have no reason to go out of your way to visit. If you want to be thorough: check your email often, check your local map when on the Citadel for any highlighted names, and before you head off to the next Priority: Wherever mission, do a quick jaunt around the Citadel and your ship to see if any of the ambient dialogue gives you a quest.

While not permanently missable, every mission has weapons, armor pieces or mods stashed somewhere that you can pick up for free. If you miss them, prepare to pay out the rear end when they pop up in one of the Citadel's stores.

im cute fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 29, 2014

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

It's a long shot, but does anyone have any advice for King's Field IV: The Ancient City?

EDIT: besides what's on the wiki?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Some real simple tips for people just beginning Arcanum.

-Failing to pick a lock will jam it for one day

Even though I last played Arcanum over 7 years ago, I am more irritated than I should be that I never found this out.

By the way, any more good advice for Legend of Grimrock, besides what's in the wiki? That game kicked my rear end the last time I tried it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Polite Tim posted:

Treat the Priority missions on Tuchanka, Rannoch, and Thessia as points of no return for sidequests. Also any sidequests in the From Ashes (Eden Prime) and Omega DLCs must be finished before completing the DLCs. Leviathan has no sidequests to my knowledge and you can come back for Citadel's side content whenever.

For DLC timing, complete From Ashes no later than immediately after Priority: Palaven. Start Citadel no sooner than right when Priority: Cerberus HQ comes up.

There are no missables in the missions themselves. Any pickups that are missed will go on sale somewhere on the Citadel so worst case scenario you're out a few thousand credits.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

paco650 posted:

It's a long shot, but does anyone have any advice for King's Field IV: The Ancient City?

EDIT: besides what's on the wiki?

In the first cave, your goal is to find an egg to trade for a fire magic crystal. Find a second egg and trade the second one to the guy on the second floor of the small temple for a crystal vial.

Unlock the blue healing water as soon as possible. Don't do serious exploring until you have it. You'll need to kill a spider boss and clear a room with dozens of rapidly respawning skeletons.

Magic crystals give you 50mp when used so you can store them and use them to power Earth Heal. This trick becomes less useful once you have red water.

You may want to grind Earth Heal levels because it slows enemies at level 3, but that will take many, many casts and you need to be at less than max hp or a cast won't count.

Until you unlock repairs you'll need to swap weapons frequently as they degrade. Sturdier weapons last longer. The elemental knives are strong early on but degrade quickly.

You stun enemies when you hit them for at least 1/3 of their health. Be careful if you're fighting an enemy you're not stunning. You won't interrupt its attacks when you hit it so you will leave yourself exposed.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Catalina posted:

By the way, any more good advice for Legend of Grimrock, besides what's in the wiki? That game kicked my rear end the last time I tried it.

In combat you want to always keep moving. Don't face tank mobs.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Draile posted:

In the first cave, your goal is to find an egg to trade for a fire magic crystal. Find a second egg and trade the second one to the guy on the second floor of the small temple for a crystal vial.

Unlock the blue healing water as soon as possible. Don't do serious exploring until you have it. You'll need to kill a spider boss and clear a room with dozens of rapidly respawning skeletons.

Magic crystals give you 50mp when used so you can store them and use them to power Earth Heal. This trick becomes less useful once you have red water.

You may want to grind Earth Heal levels because it slows enemies at level 3, but that will take many, many casts and you need to be at less than max hp or a cast won't count.

Until you unlock repairs you'll need to swap weapons frequently as they degrade. Sturdier weapons last longer. The elemental knives are strong early on but degrade quickly.

You stun enemies when you hit them for at least 1/3 of their health. Be careful if you're fighting an enemy you're not stunning. You won't interrupt its attacks when you hit it so you will leave yourself exposed.

Thanks!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Catalina posted:

You can cheese-fight some enemies by opening a gate, swatting at them, then closing the gate.

You can get all the food you need somewhere on the 2nd through 4th level(it's been a long time) where there's a section of the level behind a gate where snails or slimes(it's been a LONG time) will spawn every so often, and you can kill them to get stuff to eat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is all of that stuff necessary for Mass Effect 3? I don't recall at any point of the game, including the mission on the Citadel, that locks anything out prior to attacking Cerberus HQ.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

al-azad posted:

Is all of that stuff necessary for Mass Effect 3? I don't recall at any point of the game, including the mission on the Citadel, that locks anything out prior to attacking Cerberus HQ.

Some sidequests do fail (or are cancelled depending on how you look at it) if you activate the next Priority missions. Notably once you complete Priority: Tuchanka, your next visit to the Citadel starts Priority: Citadel II, which fails a bunch of the side missions you can have picked up there earlier (most of them of the "go here, scan planet, find gizmo" variety).

It's quite easy to avoid. Just be sure to scan all systems before you go on the next Priority: Whatever mission. The game even handily keeps track of percentages, so it's not as bad as that sounds, since you can skip a lot of them as you find things. For most, the hardest bit is finding the person on the citadel you have have to hand the gizmo to. In the end it only means you miss some points for the Warscore, and with the patched version that came with the Extended Cut Ending dlc, which lowered the amount needed, you can probably still get the best ending even if you miss a few points here and there.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 30, 2014

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I just pissed away the last of my saved up PSN money on Harvet Moon: Back to Nature. Tell me what I need to know to not be poo poo at it unlike any other time I've ever tried to play a Harvest Moon. Usually I end up just saying gently caress it and using codes but I'd like to try it legit for once.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shin Megami Tensei 4 finally came out in Europe today. Other than following a guide to get the Neutral ending, is there anything specific to this game I should be aware of? I'm an old hand at the series, so I know most of the common pitfalls typical to Megaten games. Also, what DLC should I get/avoid?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
All of the DLC for SMT4 is either:

-grinding maps where enemies drop huge amounts of money/exp/app points
-silly costumes
-endgame superbosses with plot relevance that you can fuse after you beat them

I didn't bother with the costumes, but the money and EXP grinding maps can be helpful. Don't get the app points one unless you really hate the game's balance. Obviously you should actually wait till you know if you like the game/need more of a challenge to buy the story DLC.

e: should mention that since armor greatly affects your stats, the Traje de Lujes costume, while sort of weird to look at, is actually the best armor in the game.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4 finally came out in Europe today. Other than following a guide to get the Neutral ending, is there anything specific to this game I should be aware of? I'm an old hand at the series, so I know most of the common pitfalls typical to Megaten games. Also, what DLC should I get/avoid?

It's already pretty easy for a SMT game, but the money/app points/EXP item grinding DLCs destroy any semblance of fairness. Would only recommend them if you're steamrolling through the game to get Chaos/Law endings. I think there are some free item DLCs that require minimal effort to get some good gear, but it eventually will be outclassed by stuff in shops.

One thing unique to SMT4: do activate the streetpass feature. It doesn't really matter which demon to bench because it's going to fuse A LOT, but it will also accrue a lot of stat bonuses and skills (which you can then write over in the compendium), bring back a lot of useful items, and adds another counter to the streetpass-reliant special attack.

al-azad posted:

It's not necessary since, like GhostBoy said, the worst you'll miss out on is war assets and cash. But there are some unique conversations and occasional side missions that pop up by taking your time and exploring a bit.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

paco650 posted:

the streetpass-reliant special attack.

The what now? :psyduck:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

The what now? :psyduck:

IGN posted:

Demons attached to the cards you receive can aid you in battle with the DDS Skill. Received cards are shared amongst all save files.

Using DDS Skill in battle will cause all of your cards to be used. The more cards you have, the stronger the DDS Skll will be.

You can hold a maximum of 12 cards. If you receive more cards than that, the old ones will be automatically deleted in the order received.

In this case, cards = people you've streetpassed with. You yourself attach a demon to a card (white card = no fusing just stat-ups, black card = fuse randomly) and it gets sent around too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The money and experience DLCs are fine since they relieve some of the tedium. It's just the app point one that messes with the balance a bit too much.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

One thing which can throw people off - there is no defense stat. Vitality is gone, and armor for the MC only affects your resistances. This of course means resistances and weaknesses are even more important than ever.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Catalina posted:

You can carry a single item on your cursor and still move normally. This item has no encumbrance, meaning you can have a fat container full of random packratty stuff with no penalty. The only issue is you'll probably get tired of constantly putting it down to do other things.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

paco650 posted:

(white card = no fusing just stat-ups, black card = fuse randomly)

Wait, seriously?! I almost never used the StreetPass feature in SMTIV because the demons always ended up fusing into Slime or whatever. Dammit.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

theshim posted:

One thing which can throw people off - there is no defense stat. Vitality is gone, and armor for the MC only affects your resistances. This of course means resistances and weaknesses are even more important than ever.

I was wondering about that. So far I'm getting +7 hp and +3 mp at level up. Is there no way to add to that outside of equipment?

Speaking of, I'm putting 2 points into Mag/Agi and the remaining point into either Str or Luck at level up. Is it safe to avoid Dex for the most part, or is this going to bite me later on down the line?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Speaking of, I'm putting 2 points into Mag/Agi and the remaining point into either Str or Luck at level up. Is it safe to avoid Dex for the most part, or is this going to bite me later on down the line?

Dex has greater effect on physical skills than Str. I find it's generally safer to specialize in physical or magic in 4 than in Nocturne, but I didn't play that much Nocturne so :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I was wondering about that. So far I'm getting +7 hp and +3 mp at level up. Is there no way to add to that outside of equipment?

Dex is superior to strength. It provides a 1.5 multiplier to attacks while strength only gives .7 agility is super critical as it determines who goes first which typically means which side wipes.

There are incenses throughout the game which raise stats but they aren't particularly common.

Make sure to check for quests regularly they're good XP items and money

The skills your character can hold level up to a maximum of 8. For status spells each level jp just knocks one mp off the cost but for offensive skills it makes them stronger. Find a skill you like and make sure demons carry it to subsequent generations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Strength makes the basic sword attack hurt more, Dexterity is the same for your gun. Both attributes increase the damage of your physical Skills but Dex increases it by a lot more than Str does.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Lacking a 3DS to play the game myself, I'm going to go with how the press turn system worked in the other games that had it and say that mixing physical and magic capabilities is pointless. Pick one or the other, with magic being the categorically better choice due to resistance exploitation and increased resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Captain Walker posted:

Dex has greater effect on physical skills than Str. I find it's generally safer to specialize in physical or magic in 4 than in Nocturne, but I didn't play that much Nocturne so :shrug:

Nocturne was the only SMT I've played where it was a lot better to do a phys build on your main character than a magic build.

SMT4 is definitely more of a magic build game.