Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

just install fedora already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

keyvin posted:

My programmer/engineer friend said I should install arch

he is neither a programmer nor a friend.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the pecking order for yospos os recomendations should go os x > fedora > whatever idc

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

keyvin posted:

Can someone please explain to me what Canonical hopes to accomplish with mir? What do they gain? AFAIK they don't actually have a hardware partner for tablets, and their phone kick starter failed. They are splitting development efforts from the other distros for a vapor product line.

To the person that wanted to know what desktop that was in my screen shot, it was Razor-qt. Lxde and Razor have merged (which is the first time I have heard of that happening) because they had the same design goals, and LXDE is moving to QT.

Also, I found this gem on canonical's website.
Most of this stuff is in China. There really are Ubuntu-branded kiosks at the mall and computer stores selling Canonical-supported stuff there. I'm pretty sure they really do have a phone / tablet partner or two lined up but I'm also pretty sure you won't see it in the US.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

does canonical actually make money?
Anything other than downloaded CD images containing an Ubuntu mark requires permission from Canonical. This includes obvious stuff like Dell/System76 PCs shipped with Ubuntu, but also cloud VMs like on Amazon and Azure. The majority of cloud VMs out there are running Ubuntu, so I imagine this is real business.

Also the fact that Microsoft is paying Canonical is kinda lol.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

keyvin posted:

I don't know if I am ready to run an operating system this advanced. Its like alien technology to me. So advanced its incomprehensible.

same but os x op & i am ready

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

keyvin posted:

With all these problems I think I am going to wait another year and see if Linux gets easier to use. I tried in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013, and now 2014. I think they may get everything polished and usable on the desktop in 2015 though.

lol

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I just thought I'd offer this for someone who is afraid of editing a file in vi(m), it's really not that scary; you only need about 10 or 20 commands to be able to edit files fairly efficiently. An IBM developer wrote this handy cheatsheet and it's easily enough to figure out how to move around, edit and save a file.

Just remember there are two modes, you hit esc to go into command mode and can hit i to go to insert mode and enter text, starts in command mode typically. Use hjkl to move around the file while in command mode or play nethack. To quit out you can use :q (:q! to force), or :x to save and exit (all while in command mode). Probably don't hit capital :X instead as that may prompt to encrypt the file depending on the version, which you probably don't want at this point. Another handy command is :/text, hit enter and it'll bring you to that string in the file (case sensitive).

If you ever have the opportunity to see someone good work with vi or emacs it makes a lot more sense.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 4, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

I just thought I'd offer this for someone who is afraid of editing a file in vi(m), it's really not that scary; you only need about 10 or 20 commands to be able to edit files fairly efficiently. An IBM developer wrote this handy cheatsheet and it's easily enough to figure out how to move around, edit and save a file.

Just remember there are two modes, you hit esc to go into command mode and can hit i to go to insert mode and enter text, starts in command mode typically. Use hjkl to move around the file while in command mode or play nethack. To quit out you can use :q (:q! to force), or :x to save and exit (all while in command mode). Probably don't hit capital :X instead as that may prompt to encrypt the file depending on the version, which you probably don't want at this point. Another handy command is :/text, hit enter and it'll bring you to that string in the file (case sensitive).

If you ever have the opportunity to see someone good work with vi or emacs it makes a lot more sense.

source you are quotes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kill you are...linux??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

normal schmucks like me
don't flatter yourself

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

The majority of cloud VMs out there are running Ubuntu

Lol no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

don't flatter yourself

Schmuck
noun, Slang.
an obnoxious or contemptible person.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in a nutshell i was saying all linux desktop software is targeting an audience made up entirely of obnoxious and contemptible individuals

see also:
greybeard
beardo
neckbeard

i'm not sure why all these words reference facial hair

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ShadowHawk posted:

The majority of cloud VMs out there are running Ubuntu, so I imagine this is real business.

No really, what ?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in a nutshell i was saying all linux desktop software is targeting an audience made up entirely of obnoxious and contemptible individuals

see also:
greybeard
beardo
neckbeard

speak for yourself, spergbeard

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

jre posted:

No really, what ?

Yup, Amazon and Openstack majority VMs are running Ubuntu not RHEL. NYSE runs Ubuntu too, :lol:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how could there possibly be openstack statistics you dunce

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im just making poo poo up. ubuntu #1 os for kvm and xen deployments

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Yup, Amazon and Openstack majority VMs are running Ubuntu not RHEL. NYSE runs Ubuntu too, :lol:

You're just seeing a disproportionate number of emails to the OpenStack(tm) making list because ubuntu users don't have support contracts with red hat.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

how could there possibly be openstack statistics you dunce

Because there are openstack conferences and meetups, heaven forbid spaceman asked around who is using what. Canonical even have it on their site.

http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/openstack

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thanks for this canonical marketing bullshit moron

look at this, mirantis is #1 too!! crazy

https://www.mirantis.com/company/about-pure-play-openstack/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
at a conference, and meetup, every openstack operator EVER filled out a grand census and ubuntu was #1

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

thanks for this canonical marketing bullshit moron

look at this, mirantis is #1 too!! crazy

https://www.mirantis.com/company/about-pure-play-openstack/

Mirantis uses Ubuntu :ssh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mirantis doesnt 'use' anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the entire point of fuel is its vendor neutral

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

the entire point of fuel is its vendor neutral

give me fuel
give me fire
give me that which i desire

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

was there ever any env-free os?

plenty, one example would be the classic Mac OS, also the Lisa OS and many other non-DEC-inspired systems (of which Unix counts here)

that's one reason "in the beginning was the command line" is absurd. early computers ran a program immediately upon boot and weren't interactive, and then command lines for many interactive systems were much more "menu-like" than "program-like"

the minicomputer OSes for DEC hardware are where command lines like today's took shape; Unix was built for such a system by people who had used similar systems, and so was CP/M and its clone QDOS

I expect the DEC command lines were more programming-like because they were trying to cram interactivity into as small a size as possible, while IBM and other mainframe vendors basically only gave you batch processing until you could afford enough computing resources to do a nicer UI (like forms on a 3270)

quote:

or at least env-free build system?

tons, most non-programmable build systems are like that. THINK Lightspeed Pascal & C, Metrowerks CodeWarrior, etc. I think Turbo Pascal was like that too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
go only needs one env :smuggo:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

give me fuel
give me fire
\

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

see also:
greybeard
beardo
neckbeard

It's either because everything in tech is misogynist, or women have a lower incidence of autism. Maybe both.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Foo posted:

give me fuel
give me fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ndZojUeaQ

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

jre posted:

No really, what ?

pram posted:

Lol no

https://community.csc.com/community/cio-engage/blog/2014/03/23/the-most-popular-cloud-operating-system-is

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Coming Soon: New Blog Community

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

They're counting contractless Ubuntu and paid Ubuntu as one unit. If you counted RHEL and CentOS together, that would win.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

They're counting contractless Ubuntu and paid Ubuntu as one unit. If you counted RHEL and CentOS together, that would win.
Ubuntu has a majority, not a plurality. If you combined all non-Ubuntu Ubuntu would still have more.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like debian for non-mac computes that dont need a screen cuz they are just server.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

ShadowHawk posted:

Ubuntu has a majority, not a plurality. If you combined all non-Ubuntu Ubuntu would still have more.

no wonder the internet loving sucks so bad

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

So debian is the most popular? idk this is confusing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
at least we can all agree that ubuntu is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

at least we can all agree that ubuntu is bad

it's the windows xp to debians windows 2000