Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I only played through FF9 once, and while I liked it well enough, everyone saying it was a return to classic form kind of bothered me. I guess I have a higher tolerance for retro games because it's nothing for me to go back and play NES/SNES games or whatever, and FF9 didn't really do anything for me. The only characters I really enjoyed were Vivi and Freya, and I did like that she was keeping the Dragoon traditions alive.

Zidane kind of bugged me, too. He's a weak character, but really all his story beats and background fit with what the game was like. Of course Zidane is going to go (mashing X) around your back room looking for items and stuff. The red-fur monkey thing just invited Dragonball comments.

Edit: Amarant also comes so late that I don't really know what they were thinking. He seemed okay, but gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alternatively maybe they were thinking of Journey to the West, and not Dragonball.

Also I think one big difference with 9 and the older games is that you can win a fight in the latter in the time it takes for a battle in the former to load.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Nihilarian posted:

I hate to break it to you but Barrett is a terrorist and I'm pretty sure it wasn't just bad guys who were blown up by his bombs.

As for how good of a father he is, reread that last sentence.

Yeah, but would you consider Tifa and Cloud to be just as bad? Society drove the members of AVALANCHE to their actions. :colbert:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Srice posted:

Alternatively maybe they were thinking of Journey to the West, and not Dragonball.

Also I think one big difference with 9 and the older games is that you can win a fight in the latter in the time it takes for a battle in the former to load.

That's true, about Journey to the West. Still...
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3348.0
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939394-dissidia-final-fantasy/47297524
http://www.khplanet.com/forums/final-fantasy-ix/5191-zidane-saiyan.html
http://lauraneato.deviantart.com/journal/Proof-that-Zidane-is-a-quot-Particular-Saiyan-242774086

Can I also say that my feeling were kind of hurt the way Steiner was handled was a complete eyeshadow wearing joke? The knightly characters tend to be my favorite FF characters, and he was a shallow piece of poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Firstborn posted:

The red-fur monkey thing just invited Dragonball comments.

We've established earlier in the thread that the heavy Dragonball/Goku vibes in FF9 are what makes it the worst in the series.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Mega64 posted:

We've established earlier in the thread that the heavy Dragonball/Goku vibes in FF9 are what makes it the worst in the series.

I was missing for this, but I pretty much agree.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Firstborn posted:

That's true, about Journey to the West. Still...
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3348.0
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939394-dissidia-final-fantasy/47297524
http://www.khplanet.com/forums/final-fantasy-ix/5191-zidane-saiyan.html
http://lauraneato.deviantart.com/journal/Proof-that-Zidane-is-a-quot-Particular-Saiyan-242774086

Can I also say that my feeling were kind of hurt the way Steiner was handled was a complete eyeshadow wearing joke? The knightly characters tend to be my favorite FF characters, and he was a shallow piece of poo poo.

Not their fault people don't know about that reference.

I dig Steiner because I never expected the bumbling lackey to join my party (especially since you fight him in the intro) but heck, it happened and that was cool.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I just don't think he has much characterization, it's not so much that I don't think he's funny or don't appreciate joke characters. You didn't expect him to join because he also doesn't really "look" like a character that would be playable, I think. Maybe if his armor was asymmetrical and he had a midriff shirt or a tattoo on his face or something.

He's kind of Vivi's bro, though, so I tried to take him when I could. FF9 is pretty much the only FF I'd never go back and play, strangely. I'd play that FFIII remake before 9.

\/\/\/ Good point, redacted

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 30, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress you steiner rules

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, but would you consider Tifa and Cloud to be just as bad? Society drove the members of AVALANCHE to their actions. :colbert:

Plus Barret acknowledges what he did was wrong. It's a pretty good little exchange between him and Cait Sith.
I think the blood of a few thousand on Barret's hands might have been washed away by the millions or billions he saved later on.

Judging Barret only by his actions at the beginning of VII is like judging all of Cecil's character just by when he was a Dark Knight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Steiner isn't really a joke character. He's stubborn and is the butt of a lot of jokes but he's also one of the most dedicated members of the party, the one keeping them on track, kind of plays dad for Garnet in parts, etc. He's kind of bumbling, but he means well, and as the game goes on he grows into his ideal of a knight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is this a safe place? I want to how much I unironically love Dissidia.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dissidia is awesome chat is always welcome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Late for Barrett chat but I'm pretty sure he doesn't talk like mister T in the flashbacks. He seems to have picked that up in Midgar. I always thought that was kind of a neat detail.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love that there's costumes based off Amano art. I think we're in a place where we can have a dream-like FF side game or something completely based on whacky Amano stuff.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Firstborn posted:

He's kind of Vivi's bro, though, so I tried to take him when I could. FF9 is pretty much the only FF I'd never go back and play, strangely. I'd play that FFIII remake before 9.

You guys are nuts. FFIX is the 2nd best game in the series, after VI. I loved the characters and setting there. VII is third in the list. Note that I pretty much know nothing about Dragonball so ... and there is nothing wrong with Journey to the West vibes. You can see that in shitload of anime series, games and even movies.

FFIX brings back the 4 person parties, there are multiple modes of transportation, more stuff to do, sidequests are decent, leveling and equipment system is interesting, and we get traditional class system back. I agree that Steiner is actually a decent characters once some char development occurs in the game. Garnet is pretty good along with Vivi, and Zidane is not all that bad compared to some other FF protagonists. Eiko though is ...

FFVI -> FFIX -> FFVII -> FFV -> FFX -> FFIV (PSP Version, don't like the 3D remake) -> FFVIII -> FFXIII (up to chapter 10) -> FFIII -> FFX-2. It's been too long since first couple FF games so I don't remember much and I disliked X-2. Didn't care much for 3 either (the remake).

The only bad part is that battles are a bit slow but you can increase battle speed in the menu, there are haste items/skills so that leaves some unfortunately not skippable animation during summons. Even for the latter, I think health regen/atb regen still kicks in so at least it's not a total loss.

Edit: On Dissidia - the 2nd game was pretty great I thought. It's an interesting twist on ARPG/Fighting Game certainly. On the other hand Chaos Rings (played the first two) is very meh.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 30, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Firstborn posted:

I love that there's costumes based off Amano art. I think we're in a place where we can have a dream-like FF side game or something completely based on whacky Amano stuff.

The Amano costumes are so good and translated really well into 3D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Late for Barrett chat but I'm pretty sure he doesn't talk like mister T in the flashbacks. He seems to have picked that up in Midgar. I always thought that was kind of a neat detail.

Yeah he did. You can see in the Dyne flashback for example. It's just inconsistent. (because it isn't in the Japanese version and so he kinda drifts in and out of having that speech quirk.) He isn't even like that throughout the main game stuff either. The translators don't do a great job with character voice for most characters. (Which actually hurts Cloud a lot since a lot of his stuff is based off character voice.)

Cloud is actually, to go back to an earlier conversation, a good example of how the subpar translation hurts the final product. Cloud having different speech mannerisms is kind of important but it only sort of half comes across in the English dialogue. (Mostly through stuff like "Let's mosey")

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 30, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Amano costumes are so good and translated really well into 3D

:fap:

I so badly want a game in Amano's style. Considering that Deva Zan thing he was working on turned out to be just a really bad book.

And for general Dissidia discussion, I really love what Nomura did for Garland. It manages to both compliment the Warrior of Light's design, while also being a nice amalgum of his sprite, FFIX's Garland, and even throwing in some poo poo like the skull earrings from Amano's Cloud-Sea Djinn, design, and adding the foreshadowing of him becoming Chaos into his armour - the faces on the knees, the little decorative horns on the top of his helmet. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 30, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really like seeing Amano draw whatever FF characters he wants even if he isn't the main artist for the game. I kind of like the way he drew the characters in 7, 8, and 10 better than how they ended up in some cases. I have to admit that I really like Nomura, too (his Batman though.. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/25/sdcc-2014-final-fantasys-tetsuya-nomura-redesigns-batman).

Edit: I also appreciate your input on FF9. Maybe I'll give it another go one day. I respect that.
Edit: I wouldn't mind a another game using Yoshida, either. I love the FFT & Vagrant Story art.

Edit: For completion, Amano's hilarious Batman:

(if I had the money this would be my avatar)

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 30, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My one real complaint about IX, character wise, is Amarant; they had some potential going for him there with Freya which you can see in some small ATEs and side moments, but it feels a bit squished, and his 'big character growth moment' with Zidane is barely a moment. You get more out of him in Treno and the Fire Shrine than anything.

Ironically, while I feel Zidane is a strong character in helping the rest of the cast, getting stuff done, etc., his own personal crisis is really short and lasts three fights (albeit with a fantastic soundtrack). Dagger, Vivi and even Steiner have a more consistent growth throughout the game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Krad posted:

So, what would Kiros be then? Not that he had a lot of personality going for him in the first place.

All my friends thought Kiros was black (or anime Michael Jackson). However, I thought he was Indian/South Asian since he used Katars.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ApplesandOranges posted:

My one real complaint about IX, character wise, is Amarant; they had some potential going for him there with Freya which you can see in some small ATEs and side moments, but it feels a bit squished, and his 'big character growth moment' with Zidane is barely a moment. You get more out of him in Treno and the Fire Shrine than anything.

Ironically, while I feel Zidane is a strong character in helping the rest of the cast, getting stuff done, etc., his own personal crisis is really short and lasts three fights (albeit with a fantastic soundtrack). Dagger, Vivi and even Steiner have a more consistent growth throughout the game.

If you replaced Amarant with Lani the game is improved by a lot. She has an actual personality and you fight her her/run into her twice. She makes a lot more sense as 'deadly assassin turned ally" and could play off the rest of cast really well. She's gruff and take no poo poo which was a niche they didn't really have.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The last several pages have changed my opinion of many of you. I won't name any names, but I believe you all know who you are

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Huh. There was an cancelled action game that took place in Ivalice: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Just about all of the Tetsuya Nomura re-designed Amano FF characters in Dissidia are awesome. My favorite has to be Warrior of Light, though. With Dissidia he went from a literal nobody who was in that one piece of art to one of my favorite FF character designs. Hell I don't even think he was a character before Dissidia was released, when most people thought of "FF1 protagonist" I'm sure most people thought of the red-haired fighter. I know I did.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'll agree with that, and add that one of his alt costumes is red-haired fighter, anyway. That look is just based off the Knight class.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mischitary posted:

Just about all of the Tetsuya Nomura re-designed Amano FF characters in Dissidia are awesome. My favorite has to be Warrior of Light, though. With Dissidia he went from a literal nobody who was in that one piece of art to one of my favorite FF character designs. Hell I don't even think he was a character before Dissidia was released, when most people thought of "FF1 protagonist" I'm sure most people thought of the red-haired fighter. I know I did.

It's a mashup of the Amano art and the Knight. I remember Nomura actually saying that him and Garland were the two hardest characters to design because there's so little characterization to them. I mean, with Garland he just had to have him connected to Chaos in some way and say "I, Garland, will knock you all down!" and he was golden. Warrior of Light was much more of a clean slate, which I felt really made him an entertaining character.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
FF9 has by far the best-written cast in the series, dragged down somewhat by the fact that some of the later party members don't get enough comparative screentime. As a whole, the characters are consistently fleshed out in ways that absolutely no other game in the series does. Most Final Fantasy characters get maybe 1-2 scenes dedicated to them if they're lucky, and that's that. Vivi alone has as many defining moments in FF9 as the collective cast of an entire other FF game. This is one of the main reasons why it's the best game in the series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Zidane's Protect Girls doesn't protect Quina, so I guess we know his views on the issue.

"No fat chicks"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

FF9 has by far the best-written cast in the series, dragged down somewhat by the fact that some of the later party members don't get enough comparative screentime. As a whole, the characters are consistently fleshed out in ways that absolutely no other game in the series does. Most Final Fantasy characters get maybe 1-2 scenes dedicated to them if they're lucky, and that's that. Vivi alone has as many defining moments in FF9 as the collective cast of an entire other FF game. This is one of the main reasons why it's the best game in the series.

The whole Active Time Event system was really a thing of beauty. It felt like a lot of love went into providing little scenes of the characters doing things away from the main action.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The GIG posted:

Real talk how many JRPG have black dudes that aren't Wesley Snipes, Ving Rhames, or Sitcom Dad? Not even mad at it, just wondering since those seem to be the go to for characterization.

Reddas in FF12?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Senator Chuckles posted:

Yeah, FF has never really been realistic in terms of time-line and numbers. Vivi is 6 months old, Baron has like 100 people, and no civilization is more than a thousand years old.

RPGs show places like Baron as small areas because:

1. Memory limits.
2. Development priorities.
3. Gameplay.

Nobody wants to spend 15 minutes walking through a castle and town while trying to dodge hundreds and thousands of NPCs. Complaining about a town's size in a video game is like complaining about how your character's bigger than a house on the world map. Games tend to have huge holes in their badly written stories but complaining that major towns aren't giant clusterfuck areas that you take forever to navigate is pretty bad.

If you want something to complain about, how about the fact that so many fantasy settings are post-apocalyptic/golden-era stuff?

Pureauthor posted:

FFV GBA PSX.

Gonna fight Karl Boss and go hunt some Y Burns.

The Black Stones posted:

FFXIV. Hands down, the amount of work they put into it and all the great puns and jokes that they manage to get in there are amazing.

FFXIV is just amazing in general.

I'd be cool with about half as many ASOIAF references.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mischitary posted:

You can get this armour in FFXIV, but the helm is a collectors edition piece where all the rest is dropped from Crystal Tower part 1. Its a decent set to have and you can glamour it so your better gear looks the same as it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/rabtf7/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-enter-the-fray-trailer

I'm more interested in the FF15 footage at the end than type 0, since I heard the game itself wasn't too good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked type-0, as my only complaint was the grinding that assumed you were using either the multi-player or sleep function. If they can either lower the level requirements or improve grinding in the early-middle stages of the game it'll be cool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna fight Karl Boss and go hunt some Y Burns.

Just be wary of Dinglberries.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They said they're rebalancing Type 0 since there's no multiplayer so who knows maybe it'll work out

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

RPGs show places like Baron as small areas because:

1. Memory limits.
2. Development priorities.
3. Gameplay.

Nobody wants to spend 15 minutes walking through a castle and town while trying to dodge hundreds and thousands of NPCs. Complaining about a town's size in a video game is like complaining about how your character's bigger than a house on the world map. Games tend to have huge holes in their badly written stories but complaining that major towns aren't giant clusterfuck areas that you take forever to navigate is pretty bad.

Naw, I completely agree with you on that. I was referring to this old ultimania-type book that was floating around that had a bunch of wonky information about the planet (circumference was the size of a small continent, everyone's height and weight was off, etc).

Found it over here http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ff4comp.htm#Baron , but in retrospect, it doesn't really look official. Baron's population is listed as 3500.

Senator Chuckles fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Oh wait, nvm.

I missed this post.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/rabtf7/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-enter-the-fray-trailer

I'm more interested in the FF15 footage at the end than type 0, since I heard the game itself wasn't too good.