Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I can't get into that Rich Gang at all. Quan has always been meh (and "meh" in that type of rap means you're actively making songs worse), and Thug is just way too inconsistent. Production does ok, but I think they'd be served by expanding a bit idk.

I think it's just too...soft? or something. 2 of my fav tracks this year have Migos (and one has Thug-Bricks and Freestyle) so it's not like I hate the style. I'll prob listen a bit more but outside of a couple tracks nothing seems to stand out at all.

I'm actually a bit excited to see what Carter V is gonna be like.

Totally agreed. Thug is loving irritating if you listen to him too long and is an idiot and RHQ still needs more...something.

I don't have high hopes for Carter V as everything he's released has been the same old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You might not like his style but you're mad if you think Young Thug is an idiot.

Also not sure if anyone posted it here but CarterV is due to be released in two parts, first part on December9

I don't hold too high hopes either. Every weezy release has us praying it'll be a return to form but it never is. Tha Carter series used to be the high watermark of his stuff but I guess Carter 4 ruined that.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 30, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Serious question what evidence is there that carter V will be good? The only song ive heard with him recently was that song with thug where he sounds almost indistinguishable the whole time

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
there isn't any, that's just what people say when a new carter is coming out

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That Tina Turn Up song was pretty good and he's been decent on features. It's the same reason people will still get excited about a Jay Z album. Solid discography and pretty much a living legend

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah but jay-z never fell off as bad as weezy. I love the guy but im pretty much done caring about his music since he obviously stopped caring too. Hope he proves me wrong but carter IV was one of the worst albums in recent memory.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I guess that's true. I actually never listened to Carter 4 but thought IANAHB2 was okay. Mixtape and old Weezy had great pride though. Carter V being good wouldn't surprise me at all

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

That Tina Turn Up song was pretty good and he's been decent on features. It's the same reason people will still get excited about a Jay Z album. Solid discography and pretty much a living legend

I can't think of a single person who was excited about Jay Z's samsung album (or honestly the 2-3 before that). I still think Jay Z is seriously overrated but that's not exactly a popular opinion I think.

Carter IV was junk, but IANAHB 2 was solid and Wayne's features and the couple singles he's released have sounded pretty good. That song with the Lox was way better than I had expected.

Also as an aside, I know some dudes here were digging the 100s stuff, and there was that thing where he said he was done with 100s or w/e. Seems like it's for real, here's what he's apparently doing now:

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/rainy-milo-100s-kossisko-bank-robber-clash-cover

Not what I expected at all. I would've loved him to go in a different direction in rap since I'm not a big fan of the pimp stuff tbh, but I could respect dude's talent (and perm).

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I can't think of a single person who was excited about Jay Z's samsung album (or honestly the 2-3 before that). I still think Jay Z is seriously overrated but that's not exactly a popular opinion I think.

Yeah that's why it sold 500k first week and went platinum after the million digital sales with Samsung. But Jay Z is irrelevant and totally fell off and no one really likes reasonable doubt and blah blah blah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Yeah that's why it sold 500k first week and went platinum after the million digital sales with Samsung.

this is bullshit though, it was all presold stuff on phones. smh if you think an album sold 500k for real on first week in 2013

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this is bullshit though, it was all presold stuff on phones. smh if you think an album sold 500k for real on first week in 2013

It's not bullshit.

1 million through the phone stuff
500 first week sales that didn't involve that
Double platinum within 2 months

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/jay-z-album-sales-500000-magna-carta-holy-grail_n_3609872.html

Hova the god

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

but thought IANAHB2 was okay.
LOL. Seriously?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

temple posted:

LOL. Seriously?

I wasn't exactly expecting Carter 1 or 2 or mixtape Wayne so for what it was yeah it was okay. That said I listened to it for like two days and deleted it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Man, I just can't really get into the Rich Gang mixtape. It's like... okay, I guess, feels sloppy or something.

That Future tape though :drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVgoy1n_ddY

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Dude needs to stop using so much autotune. Christ, that's unlistenable.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Yeah that's why it sold 500k first week and went platinum after the million digital sales with Samsung. But Jay Z is irrelevant and totally fell off and no one really likes reasonable doubt and blah blah blah

What does any of that have to do with anything? The last 10 albums dude made are essentially indistinguishable from each other. Dude's mastered putting out poo poo guaranteed to sell decent while while being entirely inoffensive and disposable (outside a couple of singles which will totally rock your uncle's wedding reception!). He's the Eagles, rap-version. Hell, Kanye outrapped him on Watch the Throne. He didn't fall off as much because he wasn't all that to begin with. Eminem also sels a ton, and he hasn't made anything worth a poo poo in over a decade, big deal. So a bunch of people who still get all their music news from MTV still buy his stuff, so what?

Dude is amazing at self-promotion though. Like in that realm he's definitely in consideration as GOAT.

I'm actually with you though on IANAHB 2. Probably the best thing he's put out since No Ceilings/Carter III (not a high bar admittedly, but it's solid).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I wasn't exactly expecting Carter 1 or 2 or mixtape Wayne so for what it was yeah it was okay. That said I listened to it for like two days and deleted it.
Even Wayne didn't like that album

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

temple posted:

Even Wayne didn't like that album

And?

alansmithee posted:

What does any of that have to do with anything? The last 10 albums dude made are essentially indistinguishable from each other. Dude's mastered putting out poo poo guaranteed to sell decent while while being entirely inoffensive and disposable (outside a couple of singles which will totally rock your uncle's wedding reception!). He's the Eagles, rap-version. Hell, Kanye outrapped him on Watch the Throne. He didn't fall off as much because he wasn't all that to begin with. Eminem also sels a ton, and he hasn't made anything worth a poo poo in over a decade, big deal. So a bunch of people who still get all their music news from MTV still buy his stuff, so what?

Dude is amazing at self-promotion though. Like in that realm he's definitely in consideration as GOAT.

I'm actually with you though on IANAHB 2. Probably the best thing he's put out since No Ceilings/Carter III (not a high bar admittedly, but it's solid).

It has to do with the fact that there are people who love his music despite the fact you said you didn't know anyone interested in his new stuff. Who do you think buys his albums? Beyonce fans? People in their 40's and 50's for that wedding reception crowd or whatever you're talking about (LOL). And the Em comparison is different: Eminem has a huge following of "I don't like rap other than Eminem" and dumb teenagers. Jay doesn't have that demographic, he has a huge following of fans of rap music.

You make it seem like Jay's just churned out friendly sing along songs his entire career because he rocks stadiums now with his wife or something. If you said any album in the past 10 years was that way I could see your point but there are two absolute, undeniable CLASSICS in that: Black Album and Blueprint.

I really could not agree with you less about this. Do you listen to music or do you just skim through it?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

And?

It has to do with the fact that there are people who love his music despite the fact you said you didn't know anyone interested in his new stuff. Who do you think buys his albums? Beyonce fans? People in their 40's and 50's for that wedding reception crowd or whatever you're talking about (LOL). And the Em comparison is different: Eminem has a huge following of "I don't like rap other than Eminem" and dumb teenagers. Jay doesn't have that demographic, he has a huge following of fans of rap music.

You make it seem like Jay's just churned out friendly sing along songs his entire career because he rocks stadiums now with his wife or something. If you said any album in the past 10 years was that way I could see your point but there are two absolute, undeniable CLASSICS in that: Black Album and Blueprint.

I really could not agree with you less about this. Do you listen to music or do you just skim through it?

Jay entirely has the Em demographic. They cater to the same type of people-the same ones who also listen to Macklemore and Drake. The same ones Kendrick's trying to get at with that cornball single he put out. It's top 40 pop stuff, entirely.

Also blueprint and black album were over 10 years ago. And I don't think either's a classic-they both have amazing production and some catchy singles, but Jay-Z's just kinda ordinary as an actual rapper.

Like that's the issue I've always had with him-he's just not that impressive as an actual rapper. I will say his ear for beats is really good. He rides a beat well and can adapt his flow and whatever, and he's not horrible, but there's nothing that makes him really stand out besides his production. He's entirely vanilla.

And it's because I do actually listen to music I don't like ordinary rappers. You do understand there's actual content between hooks, right?

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

T-Pain did a "Tiny Desk Concert" with NPR and the catch was that he couldn't use auto-tune or anything like that. Surprisingly dude isn't a bad singer at all, I never thought I'd say that.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/359661053/t-pain-tiny-desk-concert

e. I don't know if he's done tracks or stuff without autotune so this is the first time I hear him w/o it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Skeezy posted:

T-Pain did a "Tiny Desk Concert" with NPR and the catch was that he couldn't use auto-tune or anything like that. Surprisingly dude isn't a bad singer at all, I never thought I'd say that.

e. I don't know if he's done tracks or stuff without autotune so this is the first time I hear him w/o it.

I checked this out yesterday it's pretty interesting. Drankin Partna is my poo poo.

The thing I'm not sure if people understand though is that autotune doesn't automatically make you able to sing or whatever, and a lot of the dudes using it aren't trying to cover their voice or whatever, it's an actual decision because they're trying to work with that sound (Future was mentioned earlier, and he's another big one for that). Like using autotune isn't really that different from using electric vs. acoustic guitar-it's often a choice because you want particular sounds rather than not being able to sing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Skeezy posted:

:drat: that is not how I thought his singing voice would sound.

alansmithee posted:

The thing I'm not sure if people understand though is that autotune doesn't automatically make you able to sing or whatever, and a lot of the dudes using it aren't trying to cover their voice or whatever, it's an actual decision because they're trying to work with that sound (Future was mentioned earlier, and he's another big one for that). Like using autotune isn't really that different from using electric vs. acoustic guitar-it's often a choice because you want particular sounds rather than not being able to sing.
True. I've actually *used* autotune (fun with a karaoke host who had autotune on a laptop).

I don't mind autotune a lot of the time when it is used as a stylistic choice (though as I mentioned above I don't like Future's use of it on that track at all)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just didn't expect him to have that good of a singing voice. His reason for using auto-tune was to "do something different" not so much "I can't sing".

Honestly now I want an album of him singing naturally. I wasn't expecting it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Alan doesn't believe any rapper is above average.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I just didn't expect him to have that good of a singing voice. His reason for using auto-tune was to "do something different" not so much "I can't sing".

Honestly now I want an album of him singing naturally. I wasn't expecting it.
Dude could probably drop a sweet R&B album with a different stage name and nobody would know

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

It's not bullshit.

1 million through the phone stuff
500 first week sales that didn't involve that
Double platinum within 2 months

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/jay-z-album-sales-500000-magna-carta-holy-grail_n_3609872.html

Hova the god

well i stand corrected. that's insane

new Boosie tape out in ten minutes!
http://www.datpiff.com/Boosie-Bad-Azz-Life-After-Deathrow-mixtape.660415.html

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
At the RTJ2 event, Nas debuted a new song with a Dilla instrumental. They're calling it "produced by Dilla" but I don't really consider rapping over one of Dillas instrumentals him producing the song. But whatevs. Also, shots fired @ Jay

http://www.rap-up.com/2014/10/30/nas-debuts-j-dilla-produced-single-the-season/

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

Serious question what evidence is there that carter V will be good? The only song ive heard with him recently was that song with thug where he sounds almost indistinguishable the whole time

I think the singles have been good. Believe Me and Grindin are fun songs.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Doughbeezy fired some shots back at Hoodstar Chantz

https://soundcloud.com/doughbeezymusic/doughbeezy-southeast-281-no-chantz

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I had no idea about this. You just made my fuckin day.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dear God this tops the time Mack Wiggles threw serious shade at Junkyard Jeff

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New tape from Da Mafia 6ix too (the Three 6 reboot). Their tape last year was surprisingly great. This is turning out to be a nice day.

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/30353/da-mafia-6ix-hear-sum-evil.html

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't sleep on the Future tape. It's basically an album. Production, lyrics and everything are top notch.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
So's new self-produced album sounds like he's more influenced by oneohtrix point never than 808 mafia http://www.audiomack.com/album/hip-hop-vital/back-from-the-dead-2

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

imo Hov falls in that category where his personality and impact have significantly more to do with his popularity than his actual work. If Big is the JFK of rap Jay-z is Reagan :laugh:

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

rofl

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hahahah

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

imo Hov falls in that category where his personality and impact have significantly more to do with his popularity than his actual work. If Big is the JFK of rap Jay-z is Reagan :laugh:

No Music Discussion > Yo! NMD Raps (Remix) feat. R&B - Jay-Z is the Ronald Reagan of Rap

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Waiting for the Killer Mike Jay Z diss rap myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So does that make Kanye West the Vladimir Putin of rap?

...and what does that make 50 Cent?