Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It is more likely to be yet another hint at the upcoming new champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mierenneuker posted:

It is more likely to be yet another hint at the upcoming new champion.

Apparently named "Kalista", she's an ADC.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
So now we have The Arrow of Retribution and...the Spear...of...Vengeance? I guess?

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
gently caress madstone Udyrs, Telesmite Yi 4ever

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1611136098/35205689

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This guy might be flying to Riot because he asked if he could interview them over reddit for a school interview.

Lucky gently caress.

Well if past goon experiences are anything to go by, riot will pay for their flight, hotel, and cab fare. Then they will arrive at Riots' office and nobody in the company will have any idea who they are, or why they're there. Whoever isn't busy will give them a 10 minute interview then send them home.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Well if past goon experiences are anything to go by, riot will pay for their flight, hotel, and cab fare. Then they will arrive at Riots' office and nobody in the company will have any idea who they are, or why they're there. Whoever isn't busy will give them a 10 minute interview then send them home.

Yeah, it's kinda weird to consider the guy lucky over an interview.

Morello called me on the phone one time but I didn't get the job so I don't consider myself lucky.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I could really go for a free holiday, I'd consider that lucky.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I can't imagine a better outcome from a trip to visit Riot in California than them inviting me to California and expecting me to do nothing while picking up the tab.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
So lets talk about Graves, I have been getting very bored with my staple of ADC's and brought him out again recently and I don't know if much has changed but he just seems a lot more powerful now, I cant put my finger on why though.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
New event, Asia-targetted only:

It's supposed to be an end-of-year sendoff or something but I don't think they realise what a dong is (other than local currency)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 30, 2014

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

pioneermax posted:

So lets talk about Graves, I have been getting very bored with my staple of ADC's and brought him out again recently and I don't know if much has changed but he just seems a lot more powerful now, I cant put my finger on why though.

He's gotten consistent minor buffs for a while, and the change of the most efficient yellows going from armour to health means his passive is more powerful than it was before. His Q got the extra damage per bullet bumped to 40% from 35%, his R got buffs to the base damage and scaling on both main hit and the cone, his E got slightly cheaper. He's still not especially good, mostly because he's a lane bully that can't bully a lot of champions consistently and he's a midgame champion who doesn't have the strongest midgame. He's not a high priority balance fix or anything but it would be nice if Riot would either A) make his burst more relevant in late game so he could be a burst ADC at all points in the game or B) make him better midgame so he could be the midgame-y-est ADC. At present Twitch does his midgame "blow up a man" thing way better and then comically outscales him lategame, and Lucian is a better and safer bully/midgame threat.

edit: Comedy option, they could go for making him a shotgun brawler ADC: slash his range, change his passive to give him defensive stats for some kind of ADC stat and slash his AS and/or crit damage. That way he can tank out damage way better than other ADCs at the cost of lower DPS and less safety.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 30, 2014

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Graves has always seemed viable to me in the way that Draven has always been viable: If you win your lane hard you're set, if you don't you're in trouble.

Edit: Graves is my favorite ADC, something about him just feels really fun in a way that no other ADC does to me.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 30, 2014

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Graves has always seemed viable to me in the way that Draven has always been viable: If you win your lane hard you're set, if you don't you're in trouble.

I don't really agree, honestly. Draven is much snowballier than Graves, even if you don't do especially well in lane as Graves his QR burst is good in midgame teamfights, and he's not quite as risky as Draven. The problem is that QR burst doesn't have the multiplicative scaling that ADCs do, so once ADCs are doing 1000 damage an auto having a big AD nuke is kind of lackluster compared to having the AS and range to land two more auto attacks.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Disinterested posted:

I can't imagine a better outcome from a trip to visit Riot in California than them inviting me to California and expecting me to do nothing while picking up the tab.

Well it probably sucked for the goon who was looking for a job out of the deal.

For context, he had spent a bunch of time reproducing and documenting a bunch of longstanding bugs with Shaco who was unbelievably buggy at the time. Some one in charge of testing at Riot was super impressed and wanted to hire him on, and got the company to fly him out for a final interview (which is pretty weird for a QA spot but whatever). When he got there that happened.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

For context, he had spent a bunch of time reproducing and documenting a bunch of longstanding bugs with Shaco who was unbelievably buggy at the time. Some one in charge of testing at Riot was super impressed and wanted to hire him on, and got the company to fly him out for a final interview (which is pretty weird for a QA spot but whatever). When he got there that happened.

From what I understand from people I know who work there and have also applied there Riot flies people out for final interviews for basically every position in the company.

A friend who is in the middle of applying for a player tech support job had two separate rounds of phone interviews, a full day of in person interviews after he got flown out from the east coast, and is still waiting to have like two final interviews over Skype before the process is complete.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

This guy isn't applying for a job though.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Sexpansion posted:

Edit: Graves is my favorite ADC, something about him just feels really fun in a way that no other ADC does to me.

I might be missing something here but isn't every character viable if you win your lane hard ?

Graves just feels a bit better granted I haven't had 30 games with him yet so time will tell.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

pioneermax posted:

I might be missing something here but isn't every character viable if you win your lane hard ?

Graves just feels a bit better granted I haven't had 30 games with him yet so time will tell.

Yes, but some champions are also viable if you don't. Graves is not one of those champs.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I do feel like Graves has one of the most pronounced feeling advantages when coming back into lane with a BF sword roughly 8-9 minutes in. A point blank buckshot + auto with that extra 50 AD is the strongest I could feel as an ADC at that stage in the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The way I build Graves is the same way I build Quinn: load up on pen and let those bases shine.

Lane with Leona and rush a brutalizer and your combo deletes people before they can respond.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

If you have the money to buy a B.F. Sword or a brutalizer on first back, which is a better purchase?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

For context, they asked him to design a champion as part of the interview process and he made "a stealth tank" which remains the worst champion idea I can think of.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

The Crusher posted:

If you have the money to buy a B.F. Sword or a brutalizer on first back, which is a better purchase?

Easily BF. If you have to choose between pickax and boots/dagger or Brut, though, Brut wins out.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
For some additional context, it's probably better for everyone if riot doesn't hire you since they pay nothing.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Transient People posted:

Easily BF. If you have to choose between pickax and boots/dagger or Brut, though, Brut wins out.

Yeah I figured, it's just so hard for me to visualize the value of armor pen. I know it's amazing, but calculating why it's good compared to the other stats isn't as apparent. I constantly wish I could set up straw dummies in practice LoL matches with adjustable armor/mr or other stats and just see how things react in practice instead of theory.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

The Crusher posted:

Yeah I figured, it's just so hard for me to visualize the value of armor pen. I know it's amazing, but calculating why it's good compared to the other stats isn't as apparent. I constantly wish I could set up straw dummies in practice LoL matches with adjustable armor/mr or other stats and just see how things react in practice instead of theory.

A good rule of thumb is that AD is a little better in the early game and arpen is a little better late game. But the values are not that far apart.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Always get BF or large rod on every champion if you can because getting that much gold is a real pain in the rear end.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

psymonkey posted:

Always get BF or large rod on every champion if you can because getting that much gold is a real pain in the rear end.

This is exactly why I bought BF on Nami at my first back. It's kind of like the Triforce Rule. If you can afford it, you have to buy it.

Edit: Only okay when you're playing with friends who will call you a pussy if you don't do it. (And conversely call you a lovely support when you do)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

The Crusher posted:

This is exactly why I bought BF on Nami at my first back. It's kind of like the Triforce Rule. If you can afford it, you have to buy it.

Edit: Only okay when you're playing with friends who will call you a pussy if you don't do it. (And conversely call you a lovely support when you do)

I was playing J4 last night and the triforce rule went into effect and immediately after buying it I dunked the enemy Lucian and 100 - 0ed him in like 2 seconds, it was very satisfying.

Tark
Sep 29, 2005
What's the best team build to deal with heavy, tanky bruiser comps? My premade 5's team always loses against really tanky bruiser teams as we just can't seem to deal with them. Obviously Ryze is a great pick against those comps due to high sustained damage and being a natural counter to AD, but that's it for obvious picks. Most recent loss was against Heca/Mundo/Janna/Tankyish Jayce/Lucian who just roamed where they pleased due to tankyness & being uncatchable, and in teamfights we just couldn't get to their back line due to all that peel and disrupts & the super heavy front line. Is it just better placement and targeting, or is there something obvious in what we should be picking against them?

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Were your damage dealers buying arpen or magpen? Because if tanks or bruisers were that overpowered on their own, you'd see them played everywhere.

If you need specific counters, I'm pretty sure Vayne is really good against them, if you can secure her space for her to autoattack freely (with peel). MiniGnar, Shyvana and Vi also have %Health damage, but Vayne is probably your best choice.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kog'maw is a tank shredder between the passive percent magic damage on his W and BORK being so good on him.

Tark
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah we had Karma and Trynda in the team, from which Trynda couldn't reach their squishies at all due to Janna+Heca pushing him way back, and Karma obviously couldn't do much but watch. A support with more control to help keep them in bay would probably have been better.

Now that I checked, my Trynda & Panth did not buy Last whisper and only one had cleaver. Duh. Even in silver they should know better. I was the Ryze with 50k damage done, rest of the team were at 20.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Why would trynd have cleaver I dont get it

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Honestly Graves' lategame is absolutely fine, he has a solid steroid on his E and an appreciable amount of burst/range and mobility for a mid-range ADC. The problem is that Lucian is an OP fucker right now and overshadows anything Graves wants to do but Lucian is pretty perma ban at the moment so you can be Lucian-lite.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Tark posted:

Yeah we had Karma and Trynda in the team, from which Trynda couldn't reach their squishies at all due to Janna+Heca pushing him way back, and Karma obviously couldn't do much but watch. A support with more control to help keep them in bay would probably have been better.

Now that I checked, my Trynda & Panth did not buy Last whisper and only one had cleaver. Duh. Even in silver they should know better. I was the Ryze with 50k damage done, rest of the team were at 20.

Yeah, penetration is the bane of tanks and bruisers. Remind your team to buy that. I know I forget to buy LW all the time when I ADC!

If your support likes damage-dealing but Karma isn't suiting your teamcomp, have them try Zyra and Vel'koz. Vel'koz is more positioning-intense, but they're both very squishy and have no escapes, so if they're used to Karma being able to just E away laughing, they might need an adjustment period.

Something that the lolsoc guy said in one of his videos is the alternative strategy to dismantle an enemy team from front to back, rather than diving the squishies. If the enemy team has a strong front line with a Janna support and you can't reach their carries, it becomes a viable strategy to attempt to melt the tanks as fast as possible so that your team can then reach the squishies unmolested. The squishies might still live due to Janna's peel, but at least you guys will be able to take a tower or inhibitor out of every teamfight.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

How Rude posted:

Honestly Graves' lategame is absolutely fine, he has a solid steroid on his E and an appreciable amount of burst/range and mobility for a mid-range ADC. The problem is that Lucian is an OP fucker right now and overshadows anything Graves wants to do but Lucian is pretty perma ban at the moment so you can be Lucian-lite.

No, he doesn't. Graves not having mobility is his big flaw. Compare with the other midrange ADCs - Vayne, Lucian, Ezreal (midrange attack range, anyways), they all have spammy dashes or blinks. One dash every eight seconds if you can auto and do nothing else at all for its buff duration is too little for a midrange ADC, especially one as small as Quickdraw.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Graves is the cool dude champion who you gotta be a cool dude to play

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Quickdraw is perfectly fine as a mobility move. It's the exact same mobility range as Lucian's Relentless Pursuit and both moves have pros and cons that uniquely fit their champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
While it's not as spammable, the attack speed steroid rewards offensive play with it because you lower the cooldown faster based on number of attacks dealt. You can do some serious damage as Graves lategame if you wait for the right opportunity to use your E offensively. You can quickly change targets with your E too because the more you are killing someone with it the faster it's cooldown goes back down and the sooner you can put your steroid back up, which causes your offense to feed into more offense.

edit: While the mobility isn't nearly as great as Lucian or Ezreal he has smoke screen and his passive to keep him in the fray for a longer amount of time, while the other two like to move in and out of combat, which suits their kits over Grave's more sustained damage + burst combination.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread