Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was always quite happy with the way my Hyundai worked. Lights were controlled by twisting the stalk on the left side of the steering column. Twist it all the way counterclockwise, headlights are on. Twist it all the way clockwise, headlights are off. Parking lights are the setting in the middle and it's pretty much impossible to land there by accident.

I liked the simple 3-position switch a lot better than any automatic bullshit. And when the headlights were off, so was the dash, like God and Henry Ford intended, so you'll know for double sure if your lights are on at night.

I still contend that the 2001 Hyundai Accent was a drat well-designed vehicle in almost every way because everything was manual and it all made sense and even the seats were really loving comfortable. If you could still get them for $8000 new like they used to sell them, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

That belongs in a horrible engineering failure thread somewhere, because what the hell Honda.

Every car I've ever driven in my life lit the dash indicator only when the headlights were turned on. Every other setting produced no result on the dash (other than high beams, which turns on a blue indicator). Deviating from that convention seems like a great way to guarantee someone dies in a car wreck somewhere.

My VW has an indicator when the lights are off. Goes away when the lights are on. Good job there, guys!

(it's the DRL indicator)

On the plus side, I can't read the dash if it's dark out. Or rainy. Or overcast. Or if the sun went behind a cloud for a minute. So, I turn the lights on more often than most other people just to read my gauges.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

xzzy posted:

That belongs in a horrible engineering failure thread somewhere, because what the hell Honda.

It's not just Honda, a lot of new cars have indicators on the dash for when the park lights are on, without a separate indicator for the low beams, and if you're not familiar with the car and driving in well lit areas it's easy to not have the lights on.

The whole dayglow gauge cluster fad makes this a really frequent and annoying occurrence.

The next complaint I've voiced a few times, but it's always a newer Honda Civic that's driving around with their highbeams on, the sea of blue on the gauges makes the blue highbeam indicator blend in and combined with a stalked that doesn't move far enough back to be difficult to use when pushed back results in being blinded everytime I see one of these at night.

Another thing too, are newer cars not getting their headlamps aimed correctly from the factory? Just recently a friend had a rental 2014 Chevy Terrain with millage in the tens that had both headlamps clearly aimed upwards. And the new Corollas and accords/tsx/tlx with the LED headlamps throw a ridiculous amount of glare. Bye bye nightvision. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

It's not just Honda, a lot of new cars have indicators on the dash for when the park lights are on, without a separate indicator for the low beams, and if you're not familiar with the car and driving in well lit areas it's easy to not have the lights on.

I drive a 2013 Toyota and they seem to have remained sensible about headlights and dash indicators.

Plenty of other stupid things on that car but at least I don't drive around without headlights on. :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Another thing too, are newer cars not getting their headlamps aimed correctly from the factory? Just recently a friend had a rental 2014 Chevy Terrain with millage in the tens that had both headlamps clearly aimed upwards. And the new Corollas and accords/tsx/tlx with the LED headlamps throw a ridiculous amount of glare. Bye bye nightvision. :argh:

USDOT or somebody needs to define a maximum brightness for low-beam headlamps, it's getting loving ridiculous. I'm not sure the old Crown Vic's high beams are as bright as your average tall-rear end crossover's lows.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

USDOT or somebody needs to define a maximum brightness for low-beam headlamps, it's getting loving ridiculous. I'm not sure the old Crown Vic's high beams are as bright as your average tall-rear end crossover's lows.

There already are in the FMVSS.

Edit: 108

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 30, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

PT6A posted:

I think, if I were a cop, I'd just drive around at night writing large tickets to morons who don't turn their lights on. Seriously, I don't drive at night much, but every time I do, I see at least one (usually more) car going down the road without lights on. Turn your goddamn loving lights on, you horrible morons! Automatic lights are no excuse, in my opinion: they're there as a fallback. Personally, I always turn my lights to the full on position even though I have automatic lights, especially in bad weather or near dusk when I want to be sure they're on.

I actually saw this happen (I think) about an hour ago as I was cycling home. There was a van ahead of me at a red light with no lights on, and in the middle of the next hill a police car came ripping past me, flicked the blues'n'twos on and pulled them over.

I almost crashed straight into the police car I was so suprised. :aaa:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was always quite happy with the way my Hyundai worked. Lights were controlled by twisting the stalk on the left side of the steering column. Twist it all the way counterclockwise, headlights are on. Twist it all the way clockwise, headlights are off. Parking lights are the setting in the middle and it's pretty much impossible to land there by accident.

I liked the simple 3-position switch a lot better than any automatic bullshit. And when the headlights were off, so was the dash, like God and Henry Ford intended, so you'll know for double sure if your lights are on at night.

I still contend that the 2001 Hyundai Accent was a drat well-designed vehicle in almost every way because everything was manual and it all made sense and even the seats were really loving comfortable. If you could still get them for $8000 new like they used to sell them, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

My KIA works the same way, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My mom's old ML Benz had the most confusing lighting setup with a dash-mounted knob with too many detentes.

Someone should write a letter to Japanese automakers asking them why the hell their gauges have to be lit up at all times. It's always beige Corollas and grey Odysseys playing ghost on the highway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

I think, if I were a cop, I'd just drive around at night writing large tickets to morons who don't turn their lights on.

You'd probably also get your rear end chewed out by your sergeant for not writing enough profitable tickets. In most states this is a non-moving violation making the fines lower and easier to fight in court.

This is largely why the police rarely enforce anything outside of speeding/moving violations or DUI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How is that not a moving violation.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

xzzy posted:

I drive a 2013 Toyota and they seem to have remained sensible about headlights and dash indicators.

Plenty of other stupid things on that car but at least I don't drive around without headlights on. :v:

Yep. My 2011 Tundra is very sensible, and has excellent lights. They are also adjustable so if I'm towing a trailer I can lower the beams so as not to blind people. I'm glad most vehicles I've driven don't have dumb lights, otherwise I'd be that guy :/

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BraveUlysses posted:

My main grind is that cars should have two options: when you leave your headlights on and turn off the car, the lights turn off and no buzzer sounds (like subaru does) and then you never have to turn them on or off again.

Other option: headlights turn on with every start and you can select to turn them off if you want, but they always turn on when you start the car.

I have the opposite problem - turning on the headlights turns all of the dashboard lighting OFF. Unless I give the dash a good whack, which brings everything back on. Such are the joys of owning a shitbox.

At least GM simplified the process by having a giant pushbutton on the dash that turns the headlights and a smaller button that turns on the parking lights.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

If I was a cop for a day I would park myself at an intersection where I know people are gonna block it despite the loving sign saying don't block the intersection. Just walk over and point to the sign and write the ticket. All day long. I would make the city thousands. Seriously gently caress you people. I want to go straight and you are apparently more important than me and get to block me in. gently caress you so loving much.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Ford's autolights work just fine! I often turn mine on early, but usually I don't even have to touch the switch at all except to turn on the fogs about once or twice a year.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

N is for Nipples posted:

Ford's autolights work just fine! I often turn mine on early, but usually I don't even have to touch the switch at all except to turn on the fogs about once or twice a year.

Word, they're also tied into the wipers starting at interval, so more often than not they're on when they should be and the fogs work like actual fog lights in the Focus

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
This morning on a auto ferry the car in front of me rolled back into my car because the parking brake wasn't set when the ferry started moving. No dent or paint transfer but boy did it piss me off.

Edit: the driver was so dumb he asked if it was my car or his that moved.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Alright full post time was on my way to work on my normal route and hit this curve now there are a ton of cars parked on both sides of this road every morning.

I was going through 35-40ish and because of the cars in black i could not see what was up ahead. As i come out of the turn i see a flock of geese walking across the road in single file completely blocking it. I got on the brakes and swerved left into the sand which you can see of course sand is not good for traction so i went up into the wet grass. I instantly see a no parking sign post the car was pushing straight because my foot was planted firmly on the brakes with the abs slamming away. Thankfully i spent all summer autocrossing and let up a little and the car started turning again and i glanced hard off the signpost. It could have been much worse . I went back during lunch to snap pics and those fucks were blocking the road again. I swerved and honked at them and they didnt even look at me fuckers.

Where i went off

Sign

Shows how close to the fence i got

And the rim damage

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sure sounds like you were going too fast for conditions and reacted poorly. Sorry, you might be the person we share the road with.

(I have been there before, just saying, the difference is I drat well know it was my fault and don't blame anyone or anything else for it.)

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
I was going too fast to react to that but all that sand and wet grass sure didnt help. Also drat sure im not swerving next time ill slam the brakes and keep it straight for anything smaller than a dog .

Torn Quad Jones fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Yeah I don't like it when people swerve to avoid animals without a second thought. I'm glad you went to the kerb instead of oncoming traffic. My missus scared the poo poo out of me late one night when she encountered a possum crossing the freeway late at night. She slammed on the brakes, went from 100km/h to 40km/h and swerved across 4 lanes trying to miss a loving animal. We were just lucky there was no traffic at all.

Oh, and she still ran the little bastard over.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Next time, remember that even an entire family of ducks will do less damage than a single curb. You can't hose curb rash off your wheels!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're probably pretty lucky that signpost wasn't your young father time traveling to see what his son would become or you could have killed him, with his last thought before the both of you ceased to exist was that his son drives like a madman.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Idgi why people don't just run (small) animals down. Their life is worth much, much less than your own. People have weird values.

Thump thump.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Some of the Sheep posted:

Yeah I don't like it when people swerve to avoid animals without a second thought. I'm glad you went to the kerb instead of oncoming traffic. My missus scared the poo poo out of me late one night when she encountered a possum crossing the freeway late at night. She slammed on the brakes, went from 100km/h to 40km/h and swerved across 4 lanes trying to miss a loving animal. We were just lucky there was no traffic at all.

Oh, and she still ran the little bastard over.

I'd actually go ahead and drive into the oncoming lane to run over a possum. loving garbage monsters.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

You're probably pretty lucky that signpost wasn't your young father time traveling to see what his son would become or you could have killed him, with his last thought before the both of you ceased to exist was that his son drives like a madman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S75Rfva9O8

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Strabo4 posted:

Idgi why people don't just run (small) animals down. Their life is worth much, much less than your own. People have weird values.

Thump thump.

When they start getting the size of a mule deer is when you start to run into some real issues.

Those Canadians don't give 2 fucks about anything. And bullshit they loving fly somewhere for the winter, those lazy fat fucks fly from town to the river and that's loving it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Strabo4 posted:

Thump thump.

Haha that reminds me of the joke about how they put in speed bumps after a child gets killed in the street, and how parents of the deceased kid then have to drive over those speed bumps every day.

Thump thump.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jaegerx posted:

If I was a cop for a day I would park myself at an intersection where I know people are gonna block it despite the loving sign saying don't block the intersection. Just walk over and point to the sign and write the ticket. All day long. I would make the city thousands. Seriously gently caress you people. I want to go straight and you are apparently more important than me and get to block me in. gently caress you so loving much.

I encountered this guy earlier today:

"Well, I may be 50 feet from a crowded intersection in the middle of rush hour, but I need to change lanes right the gently caress now because I'm an idiot who couldn't possibly go straight and circle the block. Enjoy being stuck behind my dumb rear end for an entire light cycle!"

Like that Louis CK bit posted earlier: the dude could've just gone straight (he was in the going-straight lane anyway) and fixed his fuckup by taking a simple tour around the block, but that would've only satisfied 99% of his requirements!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Raluek posted:

Next time, remember that even an entire family of ducks will do less damage than a single curb. You can't hose curb rash off your wheels!

Actually if those were the same kind of birds he had to avoid earlier, then those are Canada Geese. In which case, gently caress them. My parents have pond-side property and they crap all over the lawn. Sure it may not smell but left to their own devices every square foot of lawn gets covered in goose poo poo. They have to set up motion sensitive water sprinklers in the spring and summer to discourage them from roaming the lawn. Without those sprinklers, they'll persistently come back no matter how many times they get chased off the property. I wish I could kill them but (aside from it being a hassle to get a gun in NJ) they're protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and a permit is needed to hunt them. :argh:

So in the end, Torn Quad Jones, you avoided a federal offense by not hitting those geese assuming you didn't have a permit to hunt them. :v:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Edward IV posted:

They have to set up motion sensitive water sprinklers in the spring and summer to discourage them from roaming the lawn. Without those sprinklers, they'll persistently come back no matter how many times they get chased off the property.

Wait, geese don't like water? Nature is stupid.

For content, came across a slightly crooked Crown Vic the other night on the way home from work. At the stop light, it was fully in the left lane, and used about 25% of the center lane. Also, no lights were on. I left it behind on the green, only to have it go by a little while later at a much higher speed than my 5 over. Still at the same angle, too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dear semi drivers. Is it *really* necessary to move into the far left lane on I-10 to pass the other three semi's that are already traveling side by side blocking the other three lanes, when you are only doing 0.5 mph faster than those other three guys and you are all doing 10 under the limit? Really?

:argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Flint Ironstag posted:

Geese don't like sprinklers. If you don't do something to get them to leave the area, they will return to the same exact area and nest year after year.

My old office used to house a business that was "environmentally friendly" and full of Greenpeace types who loved that they had real Canada geese really mating on their roof right now oh my god the goslings I bet they're so cute AIGH AIGH MY loving EYES AND HAIR STOP making GBS threads ON ME WHAT THE poo poo WHAT IS ALL THAT SCREAMING OH gently caress THE MALE KEEPS ATTACKING MY CAR AND ME WHEN I GO FOR LUNCH WHAT THE gently caress GET ON THE GROUND GET ON THE GROUND NANCY NO

So every year, after they went bankrupt and we inherited their stupid moss roof building, we basically had to hire a guy who would come and spray a pressure washer at them and then hide in his truck.

This is what they're like, for 24 loving hours a day. The female just bitches constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dk9Cg1Gss

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 31, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Flint Ironstag posted:

They don't like water suddenly getting sprayed into their face and I don't like it myself either. Plus, they're pretty noisy when they go off. Ideally, the sensitivity of the sprinklers gets set so that the geese are well within firing range when the sprinklers go off. We may not be able to kill them but that doesn't mean we can't cause them distress.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

The Locator posted:

Dear semi drivers. Is it *really* necessary to move into the far left lane on I-10 to pass the other three semi's that are already traveling side by side blocking the other three lanes, when you are only doing 0.5 mph faster than those other three guys and you are all doing 10 under the limit? Really?

:argh:

Yes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Lemme tell you 'bout loving up for the sake of an animal. They found an injured swan on a railroad bridge, the train was stopped in order to get it a veterinarian on the spot, delaying but mainly cancelling a shitload of trains as a result. JUST loving NAIL IT YOU loving TREEHUGGER, WE USED TO BE VIKINGS, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN KICKED OUT OF THE VILLAGE IF IT HAD BEEN THE OLD DAYS.
(These are the people we share a rail with?)

Fattig posted:

"Driving like (a) Jehu" is a Swedish term that I didn't even know was Bible-related.

It's all about "driving like a kukslukande tarmsörplare till trädkramararsle" these days. This beautiful goddamn language.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
NYC shut down service for an hour or two when some kittens were found on the tracks.
http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/kittens-shut-subway-service-45-minutes-article-1.1440740

There was a mayoral election going on at the time and, of course, it ended up as a question in the debates.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
A friend of mine has worked at a vets office for a long time and the number of people who will bring in a smashed squirrel or an idiot sparrow that brained itself on a window is just amazing. They usually do the courtesy of gassing and incinerating them when the person who brought it in realizes surgery and stuff actually costs money. Someone once even brought in most of a deer that had just destroyed the front of their car.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

What an rear end in a top hat, taking two spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't blame a dude for wanting to keep the dings off his doors.