Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Like everything else, personal recommendations are the best way to go. Ask your friends or professors if they've had a legal issue and who their lawyer was (doesn't matter what kind of legal issue since you probably won't wind up using that lawyer).

Now go to that lawyer and say "hey can you recommend me somebody who might be able to help with issue x?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, but you should start with your insurance, and see what they offer. Did you have UIM (un-/underinsured motorist) coverage?

I've filed a claim but I'm still waiting for them to tell me the final amount. I just know it's gonna be crap. I was in the same situation 5 years ago and they gave me next to nothing.

I do have coverage for uninsured but since my insurance would have to pay out they'll raise my rates that much more.

Southern Vulcan fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 30, 2014

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007

Kalman posted:

Like everything else, personal recommendations are the best way to go. Ask your friends or professors if they've had a legal issue and who their lawyer was (doesn't matter what kind of legal issue since you probably won't wind up using that lawyer).

Now go to that lawyer and say "hey can you recommend me somebody who might be able to help with issue x?"

That's a good idea. I'll do that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Southern Vulcan posted:

I've filed a claim but I'm still waiting for them to tell me the final amount. I just know it's gonna be crap. I was in the same situation 5 years ago and they gave me next to nothing.

I do have coverage for uninsured but since my insurance would have to pay out they'll raise my rates that much more.

Have you gone to a doctor or anything? Like, documented?

Also, since you slammed into the car in front of you and totaled it, odds are your rates were going up, anyhow.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 30, 2014

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Southern Vulcan posted:

I was hit by an UIM who was clearly at fault and my rates didn't go up at all after the claim, so don't necessarily bet on that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Southern Vulcan posted:

IANAL. But some quick Googling tells me they aren't allowed to increase your premium for an accident that wasn't your fault.

"http://law.justia.com/codes/florida/2010/TitleXXXVII/chapter626/626_9541.html posted:

3.a. Imposing or requesting an additional premium for a policy of motor vehicle liability, personal injury protection, medical payment, or collision insurance or any combination thereof or refusing to renew the policy solely because the insured was involved in a motor vehicle accident unless the insurer’s file contains information from which the insurer in good faith determines that the insured was substantially at fault in the accident.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
I only hit the car in front of me after I was hit. I was completely stopped prior to the accident. I can't imagine they would make me pay for their car when it's not my fault the car hit me.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Have you gone to a doctor or anything? Like, documented?

I went to the ER afterwards. I got some spinal X-rays and a script for muscle relaxants.

One more thing I should have mentioned. Although the accident took place in Florida my insurance is from North Carolina. I kept my old insurance when I moved here for school.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Car insurance works by taking the process of going to Court, winning a judgment, and collecting on it and boiling it down to insurance adjusters deciding the most likely outcome and doing that.

Any damages you elect to have your insurance pay for, you will generally be "subrogating" those claims to your insurance company - handing them over in exchange for the money. Then your insurance company can go sue to get that money back for themselves. The types of damages that are recovered fall into a few totally unofficial categories:

1) Damage to Personal Property (your hosed up car and any expensive stuff inside that got broke)
- The value of these things is determined by appraisals, estimates, receipts, and ultimately agreement.

2) Personal Injury (your hospital bills)

3) "Pain and Suffering" as its called in Texas.
- What is your physical pain worth in $$$?

4) Most states do not allow recovery for things like time off work to recover, and 'this was really inconvenient for me and my family.'

Most states have their own laws about how insurance claims should be handled, and many states have an Insurance Board that actually writes the insurance policy that all drivers in that state use. What kinds of, and how much damage is covered by these policies is a state-by-state analysis. Your insurance adjuster is supposed to answer questions like this for you, and you're allowed to call them any time and ask.

You should certainly talk to a reputable and trustworthy lawyer, but expect him to talk to you about the risk of paying him $$$ to go get $$$ from some loving deadbeat who doesn't have enough $$$ to buy insurance. Ask the lawyer you talk to about whether the owner of the car could be liable. In Texas, that is called a "negligent entrustment" claim, and it almost never ever works. The thought here is that fault and damage arises from the negligent conduct, not the lack of insurance.

Good luck.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Alchenar posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&userid=11127#post433254345

Guess who ignored the thread advice to go speak to the landlord and negotiate an acceptable outcome and instead continued to play the brinksmanship game?

The irony here is that I wanted to stay then, and move now.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Southern Vulcan posted:

I went to the ER afterwards. I got some spinal X-rays and a script for muscle relaxants.

One more thing I should have mentioned. Although the accident took place in Florida my insurance is from North Carolina. I kept my old insurance when I moved here for school.

Also you should probably know that insurance companies love to absolutely gently caress over people with soft-tissue injuries like back and neck pain so you're definitely going to want a lawyer who knows what they're doing in this area. You're the doctor, so you probably know that you're at risk of on-going problems like whiplash or whatever, so definitely document the hell out of everything and make sure your condition is being tracked.

I don't practice anywhere near Florida so I can't make any kind of useful suggestion but maybe someone here will.

Good luck!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey Tampa guy, make sure you talk to a lawyer before you accept anything from your company. I don't know Florida's laws, but your uim insurance may try to stiff you.

Worst thing that happens is you go to a thirty minute consult for free and they say yeah you're hosed. Obviously you're not looking at this as a pay day but as a "can I please get a car again" deal.

Anyone from Florida have a consensus on Morgan and Morgan?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Southern Vulcan posted:

So this morning

I'm not injured in any major way

There is absolutely no way for you to know this and you should know that if you're a med student.

You are doing to feel like you got run over by a truck in the morning.

If you didn't go to the hospital or see your GP you need to go do that as soon as possible.

edit: new page, I see you did, so that's good. But you still won't know for sure and you will feel like rear end tomorrow.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kalman posted:

For example, if I wanted a divorce lawyer, would I be out of line by looking up personal injury lawyers and cold calling them to ask for a recommendation? Seems like that would just irritate them.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

For example, if I wanted a divorce lawyer, would I be out of line by looking up personal injury lawyers and cold calling them to ask for a recommendation? Seems like that would just irritate them.

That'd be a little weird. That's why I said ask your family/friends/profs if they've needed one, so it's at least someone you can get an introduction too.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Southern Vulcan, I want you to sit down. You're already sitting? Good.

Now clear your mind of all thoughts. Focus your mind's eye into a single point of light, and feel the universe fall away around you. Imagine the world goes silent and all you can hear is your own heartbeat. You have no emotions or thoughts, and time folds in on itself. You exist and nothing more

Maintain that state of mental purity.

And from that neutral place, evaluate the following:

"I just got hit by a reckless uninsured driver. I want to replace my car but I don't have the money. My insurance company would give me money if I asked, but then my rates might go up somewhat!"

If you have followed my instructions properly, then you will know the answer to your problem.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Southern Vulcan posted:

First of all I'm in the Tampa Florida area.

So this morning while driving to work I was sitting at a red light someone with no insurance and a suspended license slammed into the back of me at 70mph. She said she didn't see me because of the glare from the sun. Which even the cops noted was impossible as we were both traveling north at around 815am. The final result is their car, my car, and the car in front of me were all totaled.

The cops gave her 3 tickets- reckless driving, driving with a suspended license, and lack of insurance. Now the driver wasn't the owner of the car. I asked the cops about it and they said that the owner has a bunch of cars registered to his name and some of them are pretty nice. It means that even if she has no money he might and he'd be liable.

I'm a poor med student spending most of my money flying around interviewing for residency spots. Even with insurance I won't be able to get a car worth a drat. I'll be honest, my neck hurts and I'm pissed as hell this all got dropped on me. I know Florida is a "no fault" state but after talking to that cop it made me hopeful I could get some money out of her or the owner to help me get back on my feet and into a halfway decent car.

I've never spoken to a lawyer before and have no idea how to do this. I'm not injured in any major way- cuts and bruises, a big knot, and a sore neck. Nothing major. I didn't really lose any wages but I still feel like I'm entitled to more than the poo poo amount my insurance is gonna give me. Maybe I'm being too justice league about this but I feel like if you gently caress someone up you have the obligation to make it right.

If I was to find a lawyer, how would I even go about looking? I see people on billboards all the time but I don't know if they're any good. I don't wanna end up with the "Better Call Saul" of Tampa bay.

So lawyers, help a legally dumb doctor figure out what way is up here.

Get a lawyer immediately. Also, your settlement/award will be based on your documented damages. Your lawyer may suggest that you get an MRI, CT Scan, and physical therapy.

The bad driver got a ticket for no insurance because she couldn't produce proof of insurance. That does not mean that the car was not insured, just that she couldn't prove it.

Your recovery is likely not limited to what that uninsured motorist owns but can probably reach to the car owner. In other words, the people at fault might not be judgment proof.

If there's a lawsuit then the frontmost driver will sue you, the person at fault, and the owner of her vehicle. Don't let this get you down, it's just how things work.

Most of all, get a lawyer. You probably have a good case that many lawyers would love to take on contingency.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007

patentmagus posted:

If there's a lawsuit then the frontmost driver will sue you, the person at fault, and the owner of her vehicle. Don't let this get you down, it's just how things work.

I would be sued? That's bizarre. So would I be liable for their damages or just the person who hit me? I don't feel like that's fair. I would have never hit anyone if I hadn't been slammed into first. I suppose the resounding advice is to get a lawyer. It's encouraging so many of you think I could potentially have a case. When I saw Florida was a "no fault" state I felt like there was no hope of getting a decent settlement.

I'll call some lawyers tomorrow morning and keep you guys updated.

Also flexeril is beyond useless. I guess that's good for me to have some firsthand experience with it before I hand it out future patients.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Anyone can sue for anything. Them suing you along with everyone else involved doesn't mean they'll win.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Southern Vulcan posted:

Also flexeril is beyond useless. I guess that's good for me to have some firsthand experience with it before I hand it out future patients.

What kind of schooling are they giving you doctors these days? Patient response to medication can be highly particular to the individual and your anecdote is not scientific data to rely on.

If you're having significant pain and day to day impairment of function, time to get another medical evaluation and a new prescription.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Southern Vulcan posted:

When I saw Florida was a "no fault" state I felt like there was no hope of getting a decent settlement.

No Fault just means you work through your insurance company who will make you whole immediately vs having to deal with other people's insurance who have no reason to keep you happy or believe your story since you aren't a customer. Have you filed with your insurance yet? If you think they're low balling you on the value of your car that's one thing but if they're giving you the fair value for the car but it's not enough to get the replacement you want then hitting the other guy's possibly-nonexistent insurance isn't going to change that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Southern Vulcan posted:

I suppose the resounding advice is to get a lawyer.

This is not the best advice the thread is giving you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also for goons who live in states which have car insurance full tort options, get the full tort option you loving cheap bastard.

Huh that's only in Pennsylvania

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Also for goons who live in states which have car insurance full tort options, get the full tort option you loving cheap bastard.

What is that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you pay for full tort, you can sue for all damages. If you have limited tort, you can only sue for medical expenses and a couple other things but NOT PAIN AND SUFFERING. Good god.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
In VA, pain and suffering doesn't exist.

Or maybe it's considered ubiquitous since you're within the state. But you get jack poo poo for it :(

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Living in VA is pain and suffering enough, we don't want your LIEBERAL lawsuits tying up our precious courts.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

euphronius posted:

And New Jersey has the option too, although I think adding the limited tort option is what got insurance companies to come back to NJ.

But FL appears to be limited tort, so Southern Vulcan has an uphill battle for pain and suffering.

"http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0600-0699/0627/Sections/0627.737.html posted:

In any action of tort brought against the owner, registrant, operator, or occupant of a motor vehicle with respect to which security has been provided as required by ss. 627.730-627.7405, or against any person or organization legally responsible for her or his acts or omissions, a plaintiff may recover damages in tort for pain, suffering, mental anguish, and inconvenience because of bodily injury, sickness, or disease arising out of the ownership, maintenance, operation, or use of such motor vehicle only in the event that the injury or disease consists in whole or in part of:
(a) Significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function.
(b) Permanent injury within a reasonable degree of medical probability, other than scarring or disfigurement.
(c) Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement.
(d) Death.

I did prevail in a personal injury claim while under limited tort in NJ, but it was a motorcycle accident where I spent months learning to walk again, years to do so without a limp and have permanent range of motion issues in my shoulder.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I think PA has similar language and the courts have strictly construed it.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
Just so I'm clear, I did file an insurance claim. I was going to do that regardless of what happens to my rates. I just mention those because I remember how much they went up 5 years ago when I was in the exact same situation and I'm trying to head off another spike.

I spoke to a lawyer today who wants to move forward with this as a personal injury case. She sounded pretty enthusiastic about my chances and odds of getting at least something in addition to the insurance claim. She's agreed to work for 25% of the final claim so I'm not paying for anything out of pocket. She also agreed to help me properly appraise how much my car was worth. She said that insurance companies typically lowball car values so they don't have to pay out as much and this would help me raise the value of my car thus raising the claim. She's doing this as a courtesy for moving forward with the personal injury case.

I didn't sign anything yet. She said she'd let me have till Monday to think it over. It seems like a pretty good deal. I could get a bigger insurance claim and have the chance at more through a personal injury suite. It would require some time on my part but I think it's doable. Is there any reason this isn't a win/win? Is there something big I'm missing here?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm confused. What just happened?

It seems like someone was told to get a lawyer and they did. What is this thread coming to?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Motronic posted:

It seems like someone was told to get a lawyer and they did. What is this thread coming to?

It's sense.

Now for people to stop second guessing their lawyers in a public forum...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Southern Vulcan posted:

She's agreed to work for 25% of the final claim so I'm not paying for anything out of pocket.

Is there something big I'm missing here?

Double-check who covers costs in the interim (court fees, investigation costs, experts if needed, etc.)

Motronic posted:

I'm so proud right now I'm tearing up a little. We succeeded, guys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Southern Vulcan posted:

Just so I'm clear, I did file an insurance claim. I was going to do that regardless of what happens to my rates. I just mention those because I remember how much they went up 5 years ago when I was in the exact same situation and I'm trying to head off another spike.

I spoke to a lawyer today who wants to move forward with this as a personal injury case. She sounded pretty enthusiastic about my chances and odds of getting at least something in addition to the insurance claim. She's agreed to work for 25% of the final claim so I'm not paying for anything out of pocket. She also agreed to help me properly appraise how much my car was worth. She said that insurance companies typically lowball car values so they don't have to pay out as much and this would help me raise the value of my car thus raising the claim. She's doing this as a courtesy for moving forward with the personal injury case.

I didn't sign anything yet. She said she'd let me have till Monday to think it over. It seems like a pretty good deal. I could get a bigger insurance claim and have the chance at more through a personal injury suite. It would require some time on my part but I think it's doable. Is there any reason this isn't a win/win? Is there something big I'm missing here?

WHO IS PAYING THE COSTS OF TRIAL

FOR ONLY 25% ITS PROBABLY YOU

Personal Injury - > doctor's deposition + testimony - > $3,000 +

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007

euphronius posted:

WHO IS PAYING THE COSTS OF TRIAL

FOR ONLY 25% ITS PROBABLY YOU

Personal Injury - > doctor's deposition + testimony - > $3,000 +

Excellent point. This was not mentioned at all. I'll follow up on that. I can't afford to front that kind of cash. If she does expect me to do that I'll have to find another lawyer.

This is why I ask questions. I've never done anything like this before and I'm learning an awful lot. I really appreciate you guys' advice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is doubtful you will find a lawyer that will front costs. If they do they are going to take ~ 50% PLUS recoup their costs.

BUT MAYBE A DOCTOR"S TESTIMONY WONT BE NECESSARY.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Aren't expert witness fees covered by court costs in the US?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dwarf posted:

Aren't expert witness fees covered by court costs in the US?

In death penalty cases, usually.
In non-capital criminal cases, rarely.
In non-criminal cases, no.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wait, insurance claims typically involve assigning the cause of action to the insurance company. Is that not the case in florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Or maybe because she's in med school she can find a doc who will testify pro bono.