Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I call Thug an idiot because he loving is. He doesn't care about anything. Every time he opens his mouth it's something stupid flying out. Everything he does is borderline gay which wouldn't be bad if he wasn't so in denial of it. Half his music is decent the other half is garbage mumbling he inherited from Wayne. Go look at any of his interviews. Look at that video in his "hood" he's trying so hard he's waving guns on wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

from comments i can tell this isnt going to be the most popular opinion but i thought that the future tape was actually just ok and kind of just ran together after a while. i usually love future i even liked honest

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVUCzkHKRE
Here is some Jay-Z that is somewhat recent.

Jay-Z is the G.o.a.t., what more can I say?? I am impressed with some of his new work, especially Magna Carta. Beach is better, for example, really bumps. I thought it was really great, you thought is was great, heck even your grandma thinks it was great.

e: ^^^ yeah i will agree that Young Thug is really annoying. He is like the Lindsay Lohan of rap.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Big Gucci Sosa out for streaming on some weird site

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

RBX posted:

I call Thug an idiot because he loving is. He doesn't care about anything. Every time he opens his mouth it's something stupid flying out. Everything he does is borderline gay which wouldn't be bad if he wasn't so in denial of it. Half his music is decent the other half is garbage mumbling he inherited from Wayne. Go look at any of his interviews. Look at that video in his "hood" he's trying so hard he's waving guns on wax.

what is this about thugger acting gay? it was the top rated comment on old english youtube for ages and i don't know what the gently caress

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Marching Powder posted:

what is this about thugger acting gay? it was the top rated comment on old english youtube for ages and i don't know what the gently caress

thug likes to crossdress sometimes and somehow this matters or affects his music because ________

still my favourite thug song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siS4RiQWlXI

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

RBX posted:

this is a youtube comment on a gucci song from 2005 with homophobic denial added in its incredible

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't sleep on that Boosie tape - there's some filler but it's not half bad. If this is cutting room floor poo poo then his album should be nice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

On the other hand, the new Chief Keef tape is absolute crap. The mix is so so bad.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

RBX posted:

lmao young thug has three children. thug gets hosed up on lean and does some silly poo poo like put on a dress and people still talking about him. also the first two Big Gucci Sosa tracks are really good, keef actually raps

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Appearance matters more in rap than any other genre and dressing/acting flamboyant like he does is gonna alienate people.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

Appearance matters more in rap than any other genre and dressing/acting flamboyant like he does is gonna alienate people.

his raging crossover popularity says literally the opposite

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

good electric posted:

lmao young thug has three children. thug gets hosed up on lean and does some silly poo poo like put on a dress and people still talking about him. also the first two Big Gucci Sosa tracks are really good, keef actually raps

You know how many down low men there are with kids? Why is there even a young thug defense force here? Get that mans nuts out your mouth.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

Kanye and ASAP Rocky are walking around in leather skirts, only person its alienating is like a bunch of washed up irrelevant rappers from the early 90s

Lord Jamar is really upset guys watch the throne

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I thought thugger was out, like kissing his boy on instagram and calling him bae or something

this does not affect his music which is imo very hit or miss

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Young Thug is good on like half the hook of Lifestyle.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Young Thug is a god drat genius. He put out like 4 mixtapes and got nothing but then Danny glover caught on and he put on a skity and everyone in the world is talking about him

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Young thug loving owns.

Except for that one time I saw him he was late to his set and only played like 3 songs but it was still good.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

RBX posted:

You know how many down low men there are with kids? Why is there even a young thug defense force here? Get that mans nuts out your mouth.

Me and my lover dripping!!!! Like always!!! #kissineachotherlove

Also here's a vid of e-40 with the reaction time that only lean and purp can bring you at this year's World Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4ruYn8ZSM

spoils fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 31, 2014

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

RBX posted:

You know how many down low men there are with kids? Why is there even a young thug defense force here?

this is a thread about rap music and he's good at rap music? if this was a thread about being all the way straight then yeah a thugger defense force would be a bit weird.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Young thug and Gucci Mane are my biological fathers no offense

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

snoops approval will never stop being cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fDqRIMfplQ

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Not to disregard a persons's individuality but "the media" loves to see black men wear dresses. Hiphop was the last bastion for black masculinity, if you care about things like masculinity and whatnot. Thugger is either insulting hiphop fans by thinking we can't handle an openly gay/queer/genderfuck artist or he is using those things for publicity.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

Not to disregard a persons's individuality but "the media" loves to see black men wear dresses. Hiphop was the last bastion for black masculinity, if you care about things like masculinity and whatnot. Thugger is either insulting hiphop fans by thinking we can't handle an openly gay/queer/genderfuck artist or he is using those things for publicity.

I'm not exactly sure it was the last bastion, nor that it's a past tense thing. I mean even going back you had songs in rap that were definitely soft. It's funny because I seem to remember Dave Chappelle talking about how hollywood always tries to emasculate black actors around the time he left his show. I think part of it is just having the contrast of dudes acting/behaving against (stereo)type, but I've come around more to the view that there is definitely something else there, at least subconsciously. I do think though that getting caught up with the surface trappings is a bit misleading-the vast majority of rap is still extremely masculine. Don't forget that Tupac was doing photo shoots in gold gstrings and whatnot.

As for Thugger, I actually appreciate that (to my knowledge) he's not said anything about all the gay poo poo. He's not insulting anyone-who he may or may not be loving isn't really the business of the general public. It's not his duty to become some gay icon or whatever (if that's how he rolls). TBH that would actually help him more than anything cause you'd get like 90% of the press behind him for being a gay rapper and all the flaws in his music would be ignored/whitewashed.

As a totally unrelated aside, Yung Lean's album is better than I first thought. Don't get me wrong I'd really want his production team to work with other people but his songs are solid in their own right. I didn't mind it before but it's grown on me a lot.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 31, 2014

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Migos was cool last night.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

As for Thugger, I actually appreciate that (to my knowledge) he's not said anything about all the gay poo poo. He's not insulting anyone-who he may or may not be loving isn't really the business of the general public.
He's broadcasting it on social media. He owes his fans the truth. They are supporting him in whatever means. When he posts pictures wearing dresses, people are going to ask questions. For Thug to deflect makes him seem like a bullshit rear end person and holds ulterior motives. I think a lot of people would sour on him while some might praise him. But there is nothing to praise when he won't stand for something. He's playing it both ways like how Nicki Minaj played gay when she first came out (and people called her out for it). Don't treat people like fools. Ask Mr. Cee, be free.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

40 lbs to freedom posted:

his raging crossover popularity says literally the opposite

I know it's 2014 and we're all tripping over ourselves trying to be as PC as possible but the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet. People thinking he's gay will get him fans because it's fashionable but it's still alienating others for the same reason.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

alansmithee posted:

As a totally unrelated aside, Yung Lean's album is better than I first thought. Don't get me wrong I'd really want his production team to work with other people but his songs are solid in their own right. I didn't mind it before but it's grown on me a lot.
I didn't like Unknown Memory as much as Unknown Death at first but I think it's actually a really good album. What Lean lacks as a rapper (which is a lot) he definitely makes up for by having a vision for his music and a cohesive sound. And amazing production. Yung Sherm, Gud, and Whitearmor are amazing. I'm also surprised Kyoto didn't make the album.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Maybe he's straight and just likes to crossdress? Maybe he's bi and doesn't know how to talk about that?

Who gives a gently caress, if you like him great if you don't, great, but you should be less concerned about someone else's sexuality. There is no need for him to "be honest" with you, it's his business, not yours. He doesn't owe you poo poo, much less "the truth" because it's not your business.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

temple posted:

He's broadcasting it on social media. He owes his fans the truth. They are supporting him in whatever means. When he posts pictures wearing dresses, people are going to ask questions. For Thug to deflect makes him seem like a bullshit rear end person and holds ulterior motives. I think a lot of people would sour on him while some might praise him. But there is nothing to praise when he won't stand for something. He's playing it both ways like how Nicki Minaj played gay when she first came out (and people called her out for it). Don't treat people like fools. Ask Mr. Cee, be free.

Who cares

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Maybe he's straight and just likes to crossdress? Maybe he's bi and doesn't know how to talk about that?

Who gives a gently caress, if you like him great if you don't, great, but you should be less concerned about someone else's sexuality. There is no need for him to "be honest" with you, it's his business, not yours. He doesn't owe you poo poo, much less "the truth" because it's not your business.
Asking a question and expecting an answer isn't a personal insult.
Obviously I and a lot of other people do. There is a context here of the emasculation of black men in media. And I think Thug is a black man in the media. Y'all realize that rappers are real people in the real world and not comic book characters, right?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Wezlar posted:

I didn't like Unknown Memory as much as Unknown Death at first but I think it's actually a really good album. What Lean lacks as a rapper (which is a lot) he definitely makes up for by having a vision for his music and a cohesive sound. And amazing production. Yung Sherm, Gud, and Whitearmor are amazing. I'm also surprised Kyoto didn't make the album.

As someone who didn't like Unknown Death but enjoyed the new album, I think Lean has found what his strengths are (mainly, singing catchy autotuned hooks over great production) and he improved his flow to boot. He's not a great (or even good) rapper, but I think he knows that isn't the appeal of his music at this point.

I recently gave the new Logic album a try. Was expecting some Redditcore like Gambino or Hopsin but walked away pleasantly surprised. He sounds a bit derivative of Kendrick and Drake, but his flow is great, the production is solid, and he has some interesting things to say. Anyone know if his mixtapes are worth checking out?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

temple posted:

Asking a question and expecting an answer isn't a personal insult.

Obviously I and a lot of other people do. There is a context here of the emasculation of black men in media. And I think Thug is a black man in the media. Y'all realize that rappers are real people in the real world and not comic book characters, right?

The much bigger issue is expecting that you or others have a right to know the details about a public figure's sexuality, or that his expression of his own (somewhat ambiguous) sexuality is part of a plot to emasculate black men.

Asking a question of a private matter and expecting an answer--particularly when the answer can be polarizing, or in other cases (not this one) represent a danger to the person answering actually is quite insulting. (see also why California was the first state to ban the gay/trans "panic" defense for murder/assault)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kenshin posted:

The much bigger issue is expecting that you or others have a right to know the details about a public figure's sexuality, or that his expression of his own (somewhat ambiguous) sexuality is part of a plot to emasculate black men.
I don't know what he's doing. That's why people ask.

edit: When you post something on instagram, you lose the right to play the "my private life" card.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Young Thug doesn't represent all black people. He can dress and do whatever he likes I don't really care, that is just on him. And no you still have a private life if you post poo poo on instagram what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

temple posted:

I don't know what he's doing. That's why people ask.
And I get that, but the point is that you can ask but he is under no obligation to tell people.

I'd like to say his answer shouldn't matter but fact is it probably would unless the answer is "hey dudes I'm 100% straight but sometimes I like to dress up in wacky stuff that gets me attention" because there are a lot of people out there who will decide they hate (or, sometimes just as badly, love) somebody because of their sexuality. Maybe dude actually is gay but doesn't want the media attention that would bring because it would distract from the kind of music he likes to make. Or the inevitable references in rap tracks for the next decade about being "as gay as Thug".

The REAL Goobusters posted:

And no you still have a private life if you post poo poo on instagram what the gently caress is wrong with you.
Also this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

I recently gave the new Logic album a try. Was expecting some Redditcore like Gambino or Hopsin but walked away pleasantly surprised. He sounds a bit derivative of Kendrick and Drake, but his flow is great, the production is solid, and he has some interesting things to say. Anyone know if his mixtapes are worth checking out?
I never got into his mixtapes but yeah, the album is very good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kenshin posted:

And I get that, but the point is that you can ask but he is under no obligation to tell people.

I'd like to say his answer shouldn't matter but fact is it probably would unless the answer is "hey dudes I'm 100% straight but sometimes I like to dress up in wacky stuff that gets me attention" because there are a lot of people out there who will decide they hate (or, sometimes just as badly, love) somebody because of their sexuality. Maybe dude actually is gay but doesn't want the media attention that would bring because it would distract from the kind of music he likes to make. Or the inevitable references in rap tracks for the next decade about being "as gay as Thug".
When people asked Cam why he wore pink, he answered. He didn't deflect or make some 3rd wave post modern deconstruction of gender roles. He thought the poo poo was fly. He started a movement. When Kanye wore kilts, he answered. He thought it was fly. He's different. He does dope poo poo. I like those guys.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

temple posted:

When people asked Cam why he wore pink, he answered. He didn't deflect or make some 3rd wave post modern deconstruction of gender roles. He thought the poo poo was fly. He started a movement. When Kanye wore kilts, he answered. He thought it was fly. He's different. He does dope poo poo. I like those guys.

Why do you have to answer again? Who cares just let the man rock whatever the gently caress he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

See, but it's nobody's business. He puts it up on twitter/instagram or w/e so his fans can see what he's doing. There's no problem asking questions, but if he ignores them or says it's none of people's business, that's cool. Because it really isn't. And from everything I've read and whatnot Thugger supposedly always been like this, even before he was known and w/e. That's where Nicki caught some flack-she was straddling the fence or w/e trying to get interest that way. And as for Mr. Cee it wasn't like it was his choice you can only be caught with tranny hookers so many times before it becomes a pattern.

Robert Analog posted:

I know it's 2014 and we're all tripping over ourselves trying to be as PC as possible but the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet. People thinking he's gay will get him fans because it's fashionable but it's still alienating others for the same reason.
Yeah people still ain't universally down with that poo poo. I'm not even sure if it would get him "fans" so much as some extra buzz and some critical immunity for a bit. I mean it's not really helped Leif out that much.

Kenshin posted:

Yeah that's pretty spot on. Like if dude would've started out wearing all hoodies and boots or something, then suddenly when he got popular started rocking dresses and calling dudes hubby I'd think that would definitely make a stronger case.

I do think there's definitely elements of the media that do, consciously or otherwise, work to emasculate black performers but I'm not sure if that's the case here. I mean in a way it's kinda a more extreme version of some of the discussion about Lil B when he was first starting to get known.

And since I'm throwing asides in my posts, I'll say I agree largely with what the other dudes mentioned about Yung Lean. He's definitely found his niche, and is working to minimize his weaknesses (mainly his rapping) and bring his strengths to the forefront.

Another aside (I'm starting to go over various albums from this year, there's still some things I wanna give more listens to) is that both the Pyramid Vritra album and EP from this year are really really good. I actually think I prefer the EP, but regardless they're both really strong releases. Think less abrasive Shabazz Palaces. Or less nihilistic Gorgeous Children. Or a more realized, focused Metro Zu. I'd also say it has some similarities to Yung Lean, although I think that may give the wrong ideas (since dude's a much better rapper, but it has a lot of the same focus on the ambiance and mood created from the production vs. the lyrics/vocals). I'm also really digging almost all of this kind of stuff I hear. What I'd really like is to see some of these dudes start working with folks in the UK Bass scene.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 31, 2014