Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Thinking I might band up with some mates to order kits, does anyone have experience of such things? Besides saving on shipping, could we use this to get better prices at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Metal Build Destiny WoL was finally announced!

No way I'd buy it given the price, but those wings do look drat cool.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thinking I might band up with some mates to order kits, does anyone have experience of such things? Besides saving on shipping, could we use this to get better prices at all?

Not sure about any price savings but be wary, in the UK at least for shipments over a certain value you have to pay import tax, so make sure of any laws about that before you consolidate shipments.

Edit:Obviously this only applies if you're buying from HLJ or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BizarroAzrael posted:

Specifically if you order from hobbywave, their shipping is 12 dollars flat, so you don't just save because of combined shipping but because you're doing fewer transactions.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It has arrived!

Only slightly intimidated after a decade away from the hobby.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 31, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Khisanth Magus posted:

Only slightly intimidated after a decade away from the hobby.

Don't be. Proto Zero is not a complicated build.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't be. Proto Zero is not a complicated build.

He should get the Sazabi ver Ka. :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like I was right about the High-Mock. Accessory connection slots everywere you could ever want one. Looks like the ones in the backpack all have polycap inserts too :allears:.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
CURVED XACTO BLADES. Holy crap. Get them, use them, they work AWESOME for nub removal. Gripping the knife like a pen, push with just enough pressure slightly perpendicular to the surface, a few passes, it's CLEANLY CUT. Repeat gradually more parallel to the surface of the nub, and boom. It almost requires no thumbnail scraping.

Anyway, progress on Metal Gear Rex. The toe spikes and pistons were done in Alclad, hence why so little progress to show for a week's work (that plus the day job was ripping my eyes out from the sockets).

A lesson learned: Alclad the toe spikes AFTER they go through their socket parts. Two light coats of primer, two light coats of gloss base, and two light coats of duraluminum Alclad must've thickened it a bit. I had to shove 'em through and there are dings in the paint because of it. I may try to just tamp them down, or cheat and drybrush in Tamiya chrome given that if I put on more Alclad, it'll lower the luster.

Most seams are covered by the external armor parts so far. It's a very involved build but very well-engineered.

These metal pistons'll probably show a lot more than the ones I did for the Delta Plus, at least!

Kotobukiya could teach Bandai a lesson in engineering parts to fit - these tolerances are tight, and most of the major structural parts REALLY hold together. I'm not quite a fan of the brown used for some parts, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's not as fancy as the billion-piece Rex, but my Abigor's coming along nicely. It's still a WIP, and I've put no finish on any of the paint yet, but I've done enough of the color that you'll get the general idea. I wasn't sure which colors to go with originally but I settled on Tyrian Purple with bone and gold accents and I think it came out quite well. I haven't done any of the gold trim yet but I think the bone white works well with this base.

The thing's huge, by the way. Standing straight, the top of its head is shoulder-height on the Crossbone Maoh. The arms are in three joints and the dragon fangs are unassembled. I haven't started painting them yet because I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep the fins or try to fill the holes. My attempts to fill the seams on the lower legs... kinda failed miserably. I'm going to give it another try.

I'm also probably going to turn that Shenlong Nataku into a grunt. I like the way it looks with that beam rifle, and it shouldn't take much to turn the old featureless Endless Waltz heads into something.

Also, if you notice a little weirdness with the central eye, it's because I (very carefully) drilled into it from the back before putting the head together.

And then lightboxed it with a piece of flexible sprue from a Beam Saber. :awesomelon:

In case you're curious, here's the "before" picture when I was just piecing the thing together. The Deathscythe Hell Custom's got wonky proportions. Those hips, man!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

CURVED XACTO BLADES. Holy crap. Get them, use them, they work AWESOME for nub removal. Gripping the knife like a pen, push with just enough pressure slightly perpendicular to the surface, a few passes, it's CLEANLY CUT. Repeat gradually more parallel to the surface of the nub, and boom. It almost requires no thumbnail scraping.

Anyway, progress on Metal Gear Rex. The toe spikes and pistons were done in Alclad, hence why so little progress to show for a week's work (that plus the day job was ripping my eyes out from the sockets).

A lesson learned: Alclad the toe spikes AFTER they go through their socket parts. Two light coats of primer, two light coats of gloss base, and two light coats of duraluminum Alclad must've thickened it a bit. I had to shove 'em through and there are dings in the paint because of it. I may try to just tamp them down, or cheat and drybrush in Tamiya chrome given that if I put on more Alclad, it'll lower the luster.

Most seams are covered by the external armor parts so far. It's a very involved build but very well-engineered.

These metal pistons'll probably show a lot more than the ones I did for the Delta Plus, at least!

Kotobukiya could teach Bandai a lesson in engineering parts to fit - these tolerances are tight, and most of the major structural parts REALLY hold together. I'm not quite a fan of the brown used for some parts, though.

It already looks very complex/detailed for just the feet. I'm going to pick one up next paycheck.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BlitzBlast posted:

A new Metal Build will be announced at the end of the month. Can't wait for another $250+ beauty I'll look at pictures of but never buy.

When a friend told me it was the Gold Frame Amatsu Mina I thought he was joking, but nope! Are you all ready for a mold Bandai can whore out even harder than Exia?

Gold Frame, Gold Frame Amatsu, Red Frame, Red Frame Powered, Red Frame Kai, Red Dragon, Blue Frame, Blue Frame L, Blue Frame G, Blue Frame D, Blue Frame 2nd L, Green Frame, frame doesn't look like a word anymore, if they really go for it they can branch out to the Strikes, oh my god this is the death of Metal Build

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I just don't "get" Astrays.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

I just don't "get" Astrays.

What's there to get? Relatively simple designs based around the Strike that you can add whatever the gently caress to because who cares. Want your Gundam to turn into a dragon? It's a dragon. Want to stick like five swords and twenty knives on it? Go ahead. Give it a bigass claw? Sure, why not. Katanas? poo poo, why haven't we been giving these things giant katanas all along?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
From GundamGuy's blog: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/10/metal-build-new-product-teaser-promo.html

"METAL BUILD Gundam Asstray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina"

Unintentional typo, or G.G. giving his opinion on this reveal. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill take a strike rouge ootori metal build

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mecha Gojira posted:

What's there to get?

Approximately a hundred variations on the same boring theme, apparently.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
And yet we still haven't got a proper Red Frame or Red Frame Powered MG, aside from that one BHOS version of the original Red Frame.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Red Frame Kai is literally the original Red Frame with a different backpack and no beam rifle.

Like, the exclusive? These are the only new runners.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

The Red Frame Kai is literally the original Red Frame with a different backpack and no beam rifle.

Like, the exclusive? These are the only new runners.

and you'll all buy it! vote with your wallet. Do as I say, not as I do

speaking of buying recolors

I made a thread to buy them from people in Japan. I'm sure they would be willing to grab more if you make it worth their while.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676273

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 31, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My action base arrived, so I can finally put the Mk2 in a bit more of a dynamic pose.

My (to this point, the Masurao is due to be delivered today) collection as it stands!

(Also, the seller of the action base put a handful of japanese hard candy in the bottom of the box. I fear I may be addicted.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is that a 1/144 model on an large action base?
It works fine as you see, but the 1/144 bases might offer even more flexibility for you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

...I didn't even realize there were different scales for action bases.

Well, it works anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

...I didn't even realize there were different scales for action bases.

Well, it works anyway.

There are Action Base 1 and Action Base 2. One is HG only and the other is HG and MG. There's a small block of text on the paper insert, it's really easy to miss.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

speaking of buying recolors

::backlog intensifies::

Blackchamber posted:

It already looks very complex/detailed for just the feet. I'm going to pick one up next paycheck.

Thus far it's like a more linear MG kit. It's got an internal frame that isn't as meant for detailed display, but structural integrity. I've never built a PG kit, so I can't speak to comparison against that, so YMMV. Thus far the internal parts are quite well covered to the point where there are no seams - for example, the toe spike holder plate covers up two seams that had nubs I was less than clean at removing and was using extra-thin cement to dissolve bad white marks. The point is basically moot now.

Whatever type of plastic Kotobukiya uses is a bit stiffer than Bandai, so you really do need to get a clean series of nub removal cuts to bring the nub to just shy of 1-2mm height. At that point it's so much easier to remove, doubly so with the curved blade but I started out with standard #11 blades. Those did fine enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god, the Beargguy F boxart :allears:

The Ez-SR has it's boxart as well, and it looks like the close-quarters version's packing its own Build Knuckles.

The EZ-Arms pack has new pictures as well. Much as I like the look of it, I'm not that thrilled about the backpack-mounted weapons being designed for specific sides. It'd be nice if you could buy two sets and mount a pair of the same.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I wrong in thinking that the first picture totally looks like the big Beargguy is bitch-slapping the little one?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh my god, the Beargguy F boxart :allears:

The Ez-SR has it's boxart as well, and it looks like the close-quarters version's packing its own Build Knuckles.

The EZ-Arms pack has new pictures as well. Much as I like the look of it, I'm not that thrilled about the backpack-mounted weapons being designed for specific sides. It'd be nice if you could buy two sets and mount a pair of the same.

Oh my god it's like if Layzner and Dragonar had a baby!

Also that Beargguy F boxart is too much! :allears:

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Slowly making progress on my MG Zaku. Only an hour or two at a time so I've only completed the chest but the detail is amazing. This is my first model in 8 years and I'm taking my time to savor the experience.

1/100 Nemo for scale

Bonus Nemo

I also found some of the skeletons in my closet (hand painted gloss enamel camo, looks as terrible as it sounds) and will post pics later.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

kinda wished i picked that zaku up when it was on sale for $35 or whatever a few weeks back. I've considered the hg but it just doesn't compare. Almost done panel lining Turn A mg, i think this has gone through 75% of my black pour type marker.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

This weekend's project has arrived.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A nice cup of coffee and some gunpla, my ideal sunday afternoon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

This weekend's project has arrived.

Take care when you rotate the side skirts on the legs. Its a semi tight fight that likes to twist when you rotate it. I broke one when I was moving it around, it was easy to fix with plastic cement though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You know, this thread is a very bad influence for me. Now that I'm getting back into the hobby, I'm going "Oh, I also want this model. I should grab this model when it comes out!" Although for some reason, despite it not being my favorite gundam show by any means, most of the stuff I want is from Wing. Have my Proto Zero, but also want the MGs of the Epyon, Tallgeese, and then the Tallgeese III when it comes out next year. Probably a Deathscythe Hell as well, although I really do prefer to TV show one. The one non-Wing model that is high on my list is getting a new MG Hi-Nu since my original one was stolen was a storage locker some stuff was temporarily in after moving was broken into and cleaned out.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 31, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

::backlog intensifies::

Thus far it's like a more linear MG kit. It's got an internal frame that isn't as meant for detailed display, but structural integrity. I've never built a PG kit, so I can't speak to comparison against that, so YMMV. Thus far the internal parts are quite well covered to the point where there are no seams - for example, the toe spike holder plate covers up two seams that had nubs I was less than clean at removing and was using extra-thin cement to dissolve bad white marks. The point is basically moot now.

Whatever type of plastic Kotobukiya uses is a bit stiffer than Bandai, so you really do need to get a clean series of nub removal cuts to bring the nub to just shy of 1-2mm height. At that point it's so much easier to remove, doubly so with the curved blade but I started out with standard #11 blades. Those did fine enough.

Well I've never built anything above HG so far. I have a MG I'm waiting to do until I've developed more skill, and I have one of the Girls und Panzer tanks on my backlog that has a surprising amount of pieces for. I really loved the Rex (and the MG games, if my username wasn't clue enough) so I definitely want to build one now, and of course see yours built so I can see how it all looks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

All I can say is thank gently caress the Masurao comes with it's own stand, because this thing will NEVER stand under it's own power.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Well I've never built anything above HG so far. I have a MG I'm waiting to do until I've developed more skill, and I have one of the Girls und Panzer tanks on my backlog that has a surprising amount of pieces for. I really loved the Rex (and the MG games, if my username wasn't clue enough) so I definitely want to build one now, and of course see yours built so I can see how it all looks.

Hi5 Girls und Panzerbro, I bought the StuG and an Strv-103C model kit to learn how to build tanx. After failing spectacularly at the Strv, I sent the StuG out for commission building because I suck at normal models, and the early camo frightens me :ohdear:

Not a bad idea to get an HG or two or three before taking the plunge to an MG. I don't have much time to build during the week, and it took me something like 2 months to build the MG Zaku II 2.0. The actual building and instructions aren't tough at all, it's just a lot more parts. The skills you'll wanna develop are definitely just more or less nub removal. Bandai does a good job with the armor - individual pieces are intended to be removable, and as such I didn't have many seams to join on the Zaku II and drat near none on the Delta Plus - but it pays off to get the nubs done right. Decals, too. Do yourself a favor, get the waterslides.

If the first rounds of MG Rex kits are any indication, though, BUY IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Took me a while before HLJ had any. I think Amazon has the black version for $80-$100ish. I put in an order while they were on backorder and jumped on paying for it, and got lucky at around 6500 yen. Shipping with other smaller kits wasn't TOO awful, so if you wanna get other stuff from HLJ that may be your best option.

Maybe if enough people buy this we'll get the Shagohod... or even better, the TX-55.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Whelp, I was almost getting into building the Delta Kai but then I found that the V fin broke at some point. Guess I'll come back to this later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He should get the Sazabi ver Ka. :unsmigghh:

You say that but I actually did the Sazabi vKa as my first MG.

• Locked thread