Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A physical build is probably worth checking out. There are a lot of skills in SMT IV I never got around to because after covering all 4 elements, a non-elemental attack, and healing, there weren't many skill slots left to play around with. Also, we have a thread for SMT4 here.

Also, use some of the conversation apps, especially on bosses. Not because they're useful, but because they're hilarious.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Wait, seriously?! I almost never used the StreetPass feature in SMTIV because the demons always ended up fusing into Slime or whatever. Dammit.

It threw me through a loop too, since I was just choosing the color randomly at first. I did end up with some very powerful low level demons this way, however, but I can see how it could get frustrating when you randomly go from Ancient of Days to High Pixie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GrandpaPants posted:

Nocturne was the only SMT I've played where it was a lot better to do a phys build on your main character than a magic build.

If only so you get the satisfaction of punching the poo poo out of Lucifer to make taking his throne all the sweeter :black101:.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

juliuspringle posted:

I just pissed away the last of my saved up PSN money on Harvet Moon: Back to Nature. Tell me what I need to know to not be poo poo at it unlike any other time I've ever tried to play a Harvest Moon. Usually I end up just saying gently caress it and using codes but I'd like to try it legit for once.

Print out the birthdays for the villagers and their favorite gifts. You can find out this information ingame but it's only through events or dialogue.

Don't just toss items on the ground. This counts as garbage. Make sure you put weeds and such into the bin.

Your first year is going to suck when it comes to festivals.

Upgrade your ax, watering can, and hammer.

Don't leave animals outside in the rain. Don't leave your puppy outside until he's grown.

If I recall, your crops can be watered twice a day.

Try to ship 100 of each crop for each season -- this unlocks special crops.

I can't remember too much beyond these.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Print out the birthdays for the villagers and their favorite gifts. You can find out this information ingame but it's only through events or dialogue.

Don't just toss items on the ground. This counts as garbage. Make sure you put weeds and such into the bin.

Your first year is going to suck when it comes to festivals.

Upgrade your ax, watering can, and hammer.

Don't leave animals outside in the rain. Don't leave your puppy outside until he's grown.

If I recall, your crops can be watered twice a day.

Try to ship 100 of each crop for each season -- this unlocks special crops.

I can't remember too much beyond these.

This is pretty solid. I'd only really add:

DO:
Get a basket ASAP
Take the basket with you when mining in the mining cave so you can cram lots of valuable ores in to sell; this is the best/only way to make any meaningful cash in winter.
Chop lumber like a motherfucker; you'll need it for house upgrades; can't get married without house upgrades.
Buy all the cooking utensils for sale on TV

DO NOT:
get exhausted while mining and lose your basket. Seriously stop at the point you literally fall over from exhaustion, but before you fall over and can't get back up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I used a physical build for SMT4 and while the very beginning was a little rough, the moment I got a decent physical skill the whole game got wrecked. It's perfectly viable.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
For SMT IV, I'm going to suggest that the money grinding DLC is more or less mandatory if you want to buy end-game gear or really mess around with the fusion system (to make an optimized team for the DLC bosses for example). There's nothing strictly requiring it but grinding up for a full Demonica set without it would take stupid hours.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

My dad is a dork and keeps nagging me to play Skyrim. The only video games I've played in recent years are FF12 and Dungeon Siege so I'm fully prepared to be out of my depth. What should I know before I jump in?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Aphra Bane posted:

My dad is a dork and keeps nagging me to play Skyrim. The only video games I've played in recent years are FF12 and Dungeon Siege so I'm fully prepared to be out of my depth. What should I know before I jump in?

There is literally nothing you need to know about Skyrim. It's a giant world where you can't really gently caress up, there's a bunch of annoying quests you can ignore (or do, but half the quests in the game are idiotic bullshit you'll regret spending time on), and none of your actions have any long term consequences.

Some stuff, anyways:
Enter a waking dream state, get high if that's your thing.
Since you're probably playing on the PC, getting SkyUI from the mods thread is worth doing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 There's also a bunch of unofficial patches to fix bugs and poo poo.
Dual wielding and stealth are both overpowered, most destruction magic is underpowered. This doesn't really matter because the difficulty is a slider and if you specialize in destruction magic you can just set it slightly lower until it feels good to use.
Argonians get the best racial ability. I think the Redguards get a pretty good one too?

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

There is literally nothing you need to know about Skyrim. It's a giant world where you can't really gently caress up, there's a bunch of annoying quests you can ignore (or do, but half the quests in the game are idiotic bullshit you'll regret spending time on), and none of your actions have any long term consequences.
Awesome

quote:

Some stuff, anyways:
Enter a waking dream state, get high if that's your thing.
Since you're probably playing on the PC, getting SkyUI from the mods thread is worth doing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 There's also a bunch of unofficial patches to fix bugs and poo poo.
Dual wielding and stealth are both overpowered, most destruction magic is underpowered. This doesn't really matter because the difficulty is a slider and if you specialize in destruction magic you can just set it slightly lower until it feels good to use.
Argonians get the best racial ability. I think the Redguards get a pretty good one too?

Thanks! I'll try to keep this in mind.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Aphra Bane posted:

Skyrim belongs to the nords.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Aphra Bane posted:

Don't get shot in the knees.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Or do if your dream is to be a town guard. Oh ok something actually helpful now.

Buy the transmute spell.
Then buy iron ore, use transmute and it will become silver ore, use transmute again and it will become gold ore. Now turn it into gold bars at a smelter and use the gold bars to make lovely jewelry. Use lovely soul gems to enchant it and then sell the lovely jewelry and buy more iron ore. By doing that loop you can raise speech, smithing, enchanting and i think alteration. Assuming I remember everything correctly. It's a bit of a slow process but I feel worth the effort put in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Play the game for two hours while noting down everything about it that annoys you. Then find mods that fix those issues. It's much better to make the effort right away instead of being aggravated into restarting 20 hours in.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Cardiovorax posted:

Play the game for two hours while noting down everything about it that annoys you. Then find mods that fix those issues. It's much better to make the effort right away instead of being aggravated into restarting 20 hours in.

Also do try to complete 1 part of the main quest for every two sidequests...otherwise you'll suffer from the Elder Scrolls Tangent* where you start doing sidequests and gaining levels and gear so the main quest feels gimped.

*This happens to me on every playthrough.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

juliuspringle posted:

Or do if your dream is to be a town guard. Oh ok something actually helpful now.

Buy the transmute spell.
Then buy iron ore, use transmute and it will become silver ore, use transmute again and it will become gold ore. Now turn it into gold bars at a smelter and use the gold bars to make lovely jewelry. Use lovely soul gems to enchant it and then sell the lovely jewelry and buy more iron ore. By doing that loop you can raise speech, smithing, enchanting and i think alteration. Assuming I remember everything correctly. It's a bit of a slow process but I feel worth the effort put in.

You can find various precious gems in random loot all over the place (I once killed a wolf that had had apparently eaten a garnet), and they allow you to smith not-lovely jewelry. Since the finished product's value determines how much EXP you get for smithing, it may be worth it to hold off on making your jewelery until you've looted a cave or two and have some gems on hand.

Also, it's easy to go overboard with the method juliuspringle suggested, leaving you with a mid-to-high-level character that has 90 smithing, enchanting, and alteration, but next to nothing in weapons. Try to even things out so you don't get outclassed when the game sees that you're level 67 and adjusts enemy difficulty accordingly.

Other than that, just run around and have fun. Try out different builds and see what you like and what works for you. Argonians, as mentioned before, come with permanent water breathing, which is pretty spiffy, and their race power Histskin gives them once-a-day rapid healing that can get you out of a tight spot.

Go wander around. And watch out for bears :)

edit: Halted Stream Camp is a good spot to start your jewelry-making career, because there's a Transmute tome in the mine, along with several iron ore veins. Unfortunately, there are also several enemies there, including the bandits' boss man at the bottom of the mine. He's an orc, and he's pretty tough, so be ready to do everything you can to avoid having your skull split open if you go there.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Never grind in Skyrim, it's not fun, it makes the game not fun, and it's not exactly a hard game to start with. Just play the game, it's designed around slowly gaining skill and grinding anything will break the game and ruin it for you.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can find various precious gems in random loot all over the place (I once killed a wolf that had had apparently eaten a garnet), and they allow you to smith not-lovely jewelry. Since the finished product's value determines how much EXP you get for smithing, it may be worth it to hold off on making your jewelery until you've looted a cave or two and have some gems on hand.

Also, it's easy to go overboard with the method juliuspringle suggested, leaving you with a mid-to-high-level character that has 90 smithing, enchanting, and alteration, but next to nothing in weapons. Try to even things out so you don't get outclassed when the game sees that you're level 67 and adjusts enemy difficulty accordingly.

Other than that, just run around and have fun. Try out different builds and see what you like and what works for you. Argonians, as mentioned before, come with permanent water breathing, which is pretty spiffy, and their race power Histskin gives them once-a-day rapid healing that can get you out of a tight spot.

Go wander around. And watch out for bears :)

edit: Halted Stream Camp is a good spot to start your jewelry-making career, because there's a Transmute tome in the mine, along with several iron ore veins. Unfortunately, there are also several enemies there, including the bandits' boss man at the bottom of the mine. He's an orc, and he's pretty tough, so be ready to do everything you can to avoid having your skull split open if you go there.

Huh, I didn't know it boosted XP I just knew it made me more money. When it comes to fighting I have bound bow and bound longsword because they don't weigh anything and bound bow gives you 100 arrows and if you run out you just recast the spell to get more. If you go that way though invest in the skill (I don't remember what tree) that makes your spells silent so you no longer have to cast them before you enter a room with enemies.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Count Uvula posted:

Skyrim is best enjoyed by playing however the hell you want. Do try to avoid leveling up non-combat skills too quickly early on. On my first play through I had so much fun playing it as a burglary simulator in the first couple of towns that I had gained several levels from sneak, pickpocket, lockpick, etc. The game scales off your overall level so I was totally gimped by the time I made my way to my second dungeon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anything of note for Final Fantasy X, particularly if it's something that uniquely pertains to the HD release?

Aphra Bane posted:

As tempting as it may be to blow it off, stick to the main quest like glue until you get that 'fus ro dah' business you've heard so much about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Anything of note for Final Fantasy X, particularly if it's something that uniquely pertains to the HD release?
If you try to get everyone's ultimate weapons, you will utterly despise the game by the end of it. This goes double for 100% completion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you played the international release its identical but with some updated graphics and some rather poor remixes of the original remixes.

If you have not then be aware that after about the 1/3rd point of the story there is a point of return (walking to the area immediately after the boss spherimorph). After that point when you finally can once again return to areas you've visited several will be guarded with absolute bastard require tons of grinding superbosses. If you forgot something there you will have to beat them to get it which can mean herculean effort to get small bonuses or missed pieces for upgrades.

The most notable gently caress you boss is after beating the boss of Zanarkand ruins if you do not search the area for treasure you'll need to beat a superboss to get that treasure on the later return.

No there is no cutscene skip button added to this version despite it taking two years to make.

The ffx epilogue/bonus short story added in this version is atrocious on every conceivable level. Its a waste of your time and reads like a 10 year olds first attempt at fanfic.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Buy the transmute spell.

Or... you can use console commands, set your smithing, enchanting, and alteration to whatever level you feel comfortable with, and skip tedious grinding that does nothing but increase your numbers. Take the time you saved and go walk on a treadmill to lower other numbers.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
FFX

Seriously, some of the Celestial Weapons suck loving rear end to go after. Forget about them unless you're really into being pissed at videogames.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Which ones ARE worth going after, or will it be readily apparent?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yuna, Auron, Tidus, and Wakka if you can actually tolerate blitzball.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Basically, the way they work is that each one comes in three parts: The weapon, the Crest, and the Sigil. The Crests are all findable in treasure chests in places, and the only tricky one is Tidus's, because if you don't get it at your first opportunity, Dark Bahamut will push your poo poo in when you try to go back for it. When people say "don't get the weapons," they mean the Sigils, which are all based around minigames in some way.

The list goes as thus:

Yuna: The easiest by a mile, the only difficulty is not missing the Destruction Sphere treasures in Besaid or Macalania Temples, else you'll have to fight a superboss to get those. You need to defeat rival summoner Belgemine in Requiem Temple in all 8 of her Aeon battles.

Auron: Pretty easy if a bit tedious, you need to catch a bunch of monsters for the monster arena.

Rikku: Nothing too serious, you need to play hide and seek with a bunch of Cactuars in the desert.

Wakka: This can go either way depending on how you feel about Blitzball, because you're gonna need to play a fuckload of Blitzball.

Kimahri: Do a pain-in-the-rear end butterfly catching minigame in Macalania Woods. Nobody cares about Kimahri anyway, so skip it.

Lulu: Dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row on the Thunder Plains. Please do not do this one, because it is annoying as gently caress.

Tidus: Complete the highest level Chocobo race with a net time of less than 0 seconds. Please do not do this one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

It wont be. That said yunas is easy fun and provides rewards along the whole process. Aurons is really good and doable but time consuming even if it provides rewards along the way. Rikkus is the third easiest but is mostly tedium to unlock. If you looooooove blitzball after a lot of it you'll get wakkas.

Tidus lulu and khimaris celestial weapons are horrible nightmares to collect. Do not attempt them unless you are obsessive beyond measure.

On the note of Aurons celestial weapon and a tricky boss. When you first reach an area called the calm lands and can begin monster capturing make sure to capture one of every monster and complete the are collection quest. The reward is an item that when placed on a defensive item makes you immune to death. It turns a very difficult multistage puzzle boss with a very very long custcene before the fight into a pushover and is highly recommended if you don't want to memorize that cutscene dialog.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Tidus's was only hard because we didn't have youtube videos that showed you exactly what to do back in the day.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kimahri's problem is that he's a jack-of-all-trades in a game where every other character has a speciality. What this actually means is, you can spec him to dabble in any other character's grid and either get a decent character with a lot of application or just have him take another character's path for extra damage/magic/healing, etc. For example, IIRC, you can get Khimari down Rikku's path on the sphere grid with little trouble. This gives you a speedy character who can steal and, because a lot of his weapons have the same Piercing mod as Auron, take out heavy enemies with little trouble. As a bonus, with a bit of grinding, you can even do this before Rikku joins up. Yuna and Lulu also have their paths available to Kimarhi fairly early on as well, and having a character with extra healing potential is never a bad thing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PJOmega posted:

Or... you can use console commands, set your smithing, enchanting, and alteration to whatever level you feel comfortable with, and skip tedious grinding that does nothing but increase your numbers. Take the time you saved and go walk on a treadmill to lower other numbers.

Yeah this. The first time you play the game, play it normally. From then on, if you want smithing/enchanting, use console commands. The result is the exact same except that you're saved 1-4 hours of your life (which you'll waste playing Skyrim.)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
I didn't think getting Tidus' ultimate was all that hard. Lulu's was a huge exercise in tedium though, I gave up on both hers and Kimahri's.

I think the best party once you get to end-game stuff is Rikku/Tidus/Wakka, since they have overdrives that can hit a bunch of times for max damage. Wakka's makes you play blitzball, but getting Jecht shot (search GameFAQs, it's not completely missable but if you don't get it first try you'll have to wait a while) and just passing to Tidus all the time makes that trivial.

Edit: also, make sure Kimahri at least has steal, since you can get him there much earlier than you get the actual thief character. There's also a mountain path area towards the end where he (and only he) can steal some useful items.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alcharagia posted:

Basically, the way they work is that each one comes in three parts: The weapon, the Crest, and the Sigil. The Crests are all findable in treasure chests in places, and the only tricky one is Tidus's, because if you don't get it at your first opportunity, Dark Bahamut will push your poo poo in when you try to go back for it. When people say "don't get the weapons," they mean the Sigils, which are all based around minigames in some way.

The list goes as thus:

Yuna: The easiest by a mile, the only difficulty is not missing the Destruction Sphere treasures in Besaid or Macalania Temples, else you'll have to fight a superboss to get those. You need to defeat rival summoner Belgemine in Requiem Temple in all 8 of her Aeon battles.

Auron: Pretty easy if a bit tedious, you need to catch a bunch of monsters for the monster arena.

Rikku: Nothing too serious, you need to play hide and seek with a bunch of Cactuars in the desert.

Wakka: This can go either way depending on how you feel about Blitzball, because you're gonna need to play a fuckload of Blitzball.

Kimahri: Do a pain-in-the-rear end butterfly catching minigame in Macalania Woods. Nobody cares about Kimahri anyway, so skip it.

Lulu: Dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row on the Thunder Plains. Please do not do this one, because it is annoying as gently caress.

Tidus: Complete the highest level Chocobo race with a net time of less than 0 seconds. Please do not do this one.

It's worth doing all the Destruction Sphere puzzles anyway, because it nets you a powerful extra Summon.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's worth doing all the Destruction Sphere puzzles anyway, because it nets you a powerful extra Summon.

This is very true. The fact that that summon also looks badass as hell is also an incentive.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Some real simple tips for people just beginning Arcanum.

-Failing to pick a lock will jam it for one day

ffffffffffffffff SERIOUSLY? :suicide:

All the other tips can be replaced with "read the manual". Seriously, do it.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Baldur's Gate II, anyone?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Cheat. This is not the kind of game you play for the combat.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

There's probably a fair bit upon the wiki. Anyhow the smartest thing you can do at the outset is to read up on what the spells do so you know what to go for. Offhand magic missle remains good all game, horrid wilting is broken good, timestop too if you go into the expansion and skulltrap does more damage than fireball at higher level because fireball is capped at 10d6 while skulltrap keeps going to like 20 I think. More importantly to save you some time you need to know how to strip magical defences from enemies. A lot of the tougher ones will have x magical resistance which is x percent chance your spell does nothing. There is handily a spell called lower resistance or something for that. They can also employ defences against physical attacks which breach counters and defences against magical attacks may need something like Khelben's warding whip. Or if you take the paladin companion he has a good chance to dispel all that handily.

If you figure out what spells you need the sorcerer is probably the most broken class in the game.

Oh yeah lower numbers are good for armour class as in ac -10 is way better than ac 10 and for your attacks (thaco) lower numbers are also better.

Once you get out of the starter dungeon you have options to go to a lot of places, there isn't any urgency on the main quest.

Its a really big game and you can easily miss a lot so its worth taking the time to explore and talk to people.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Ohhh this is that game. Oh no

Cardiovorax posted:

The idea of modding makes me feel like an old grandma intimidated by strange technical wizardry, but I love that this is something I can theoretically do so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks for all the tips, people. (I made it to the first town and am already feeling a bit agoraphobic :derp:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aphra Bane posted:

The idea of modding makes me feel like an old grandma intimidated by strange technical wizardry, but I love that this is something I can theoretically do so I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Trust me, it's worth it. Skyrim is already an amazingly fun game. Mods only make it even better, and there are some seriously inspired ones.