Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

uhh not much to look at yet

things i know how to do in maya:
  • create primitives
  • cut things
  • combine things into one object
  • apply phong shading to things

is this supposed to look like poo poo or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it's supposed to look like a spaceship

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

is this supposed to look like poo poo or

yes did you even read my post

I hate doing anything creative because I'm too much of a perfectionist so this is painful

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

your perfectionism certainly does not show

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the braggart in me is tempted to post some of my own 3d modeling stuff now

last week i needed a quick demo of a model with moving parts for class, so in the 20 minutes before it started i made a working 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine

ladies

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yes, I admit that the thing I made after downloading the CG software last night and posted because he asked me to is garbage. are you happy now

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah i know how to do that stuff already in lightwave anyway

this isn't a criticism
of
you but most pros that use pro software end up transferring between 18 different programs to do this poo poo

me

I do it all in blender

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

yes, I admit that the thing I made after downloading the CG software last night and posted because he asked me to is garbage. are you happy now

dude I'm sorry for putting you in this position! I appreciate your work and effort though, even if bloody is being a jerk/rear end in a top hat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

your perfectionism certainly does not show

don't be a dick

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

this isn't a criticism
of
you but most pros that use pro software end up transferring between 18 different programs to do this poo poo

me

I do it all in blender

to get a model from Lightwave to tf2 for one of my custom maps I had to model and unwrap it in Lightwave and then do the bones and animation in this garbage game modeler called milkshape 3d because it could read lightwave objects (no game uses them except serious sam and this supported serious sam, quake and quake derivatives) and output .smd files

then if you're lucky it compiled into an .mdl

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

this isn't a criticism
of

me

I do it all in blender

"when the only tool you have is a hammer, all the world's problems start to look like nails."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the point is that blender does all those things

maybe not AS well as others but famailiarity with the tool is the best thing

also
doc that woman I quoted is the blue lady I've been probated for many times. she's into
privacy

lungi I sometimes have great idea in head but modelling it is impossible! or
comes out poo poo. made 2 ships lately and both are ugly and unbalanced as gently caress

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

my students who see it are like "wow everything is so tiny"
why are you showing ur students ur privates?!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

the braggart in me is tempted to post some of my own 3d modeling stuff now

last week i needed a quick demo of a model with moving parts for class, so in the 20 minutes before it started i made a working 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine

ladies

post it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

doc that woman I quoted is the blue lady I've been probated for many times. she's into
privacy

i have no idea who the gently caress "blue lady" is (beyond being a troll moron judging by that tweet of hers that you RT'ed)

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

yo I've been doing some more work on my emulation site thingy for iOS, check it out: https://pocketga.me/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

i have no idea who the gently caress "blue lady" is (beyond being a troll moron judging by that tweet of hers that you RT'ed)

lol mate you need to bone up on your YOSPOS lore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also
lol she's not a
"troll" some people rightly believe that apple is out
to gently caress us

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doc u seem angry u need to take a chill pill

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

if this isn't trolling then i don't know what is

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
her name sounds like an extra rudder

ancillary tiller :xd:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

if this isn't trolling then i don't know what is

it's called sarcasm. she a pro privacy advocate

the only trolling was by me, retweeting it onto my YOSPOS twitter where I prayed it would have that effect ...

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

this game does not run well on my 2012 macbook air

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

heres a model i did almost a year ago lol, never finished unwrapping it never finished anything 3d related

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16225

i did most of the 3d models in this little asset pack me and some goons did a while back

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I looked last night for any of my old poo poo but apparently it's all been lost to the anals of time

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
rod rocket status:
OS X compiled okay but looks weird
iOS compiled okay but I can't sort how to get a provisioning distribution certificate for a new product that's not being compiled by xcode so I can put this poo poo into testflight

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like the light propagating volume isn't working

its an experimental feature which requires adding a line to an .ini in the editor

its what lights up 95% of the level, is that the "weird" part, the lack of lighting?

it also takes about 30fps off the frame rate so if it works poorly with it off i cant imagine how bad it would work with it on

that said, i can't imagine why its going so slow. perhaps the post processing? poo poo

also by default all the settings are cranked to epic

thanks for trying. an interesting process

also with ios i think you need to add controls somehow whic i havent looked into doing

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
yah all I did was basically export for each platform but ue4 seems to do its compilation automatically instead of handing off to Xcode like unity did so I'm not sure how to sign the binary properly for iOS
I had just assumed I was missing some shader level support for the volumetric lighting, I'll kick around in the settings tonight and see if I can get a working OS X build
the game feels fuckin fun though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
i have a GTX680 plz do the needful and send the rodrocket

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
r u on the osx?
it's already available for windows

ahemeni, google for "enable lpv ue4" it's simply adding a line to an ini file [on windows at least]. there are a
couple things u need 2 do in game [disable
static lightig, turn on dynamic global illumination on loght] but they should be set on my game anyway so it should just work

there is a
quick change to graphical settings in the editor somehwre maybe u need to do that? because apart
from lpv my game doesn't use anything graphical intensive: I've previously tested the post progressing on and off
and it makes less than a frame
difference

ue4 has an amazing
built in performance recorder function that will record exactly what functions in what objects or what part of the rendering is slowing down game or what's causing acute slowdowns

also thanks! I'm glad u think it's a
bit fun. I've always enjoyed thrust games
so it's great 2 b able to make my
own

I've added a bullet time mode and also a auto hover button so players can hover in one spot for whatever reason with little effort

u can switch between ships with 1 2 and 3 too
although I've only tweaked ship 1 for
balanced play and the other ships are ugly anyway :/

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 1, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ahmeni posted:

yah all I did was basically export for each platform but ue4 seems to do its compilation automatically instead of handing off to Xcode like unity did so I'm not sure how to sign the binary properly for iOS

there seems
to be different settings for development vs
shipping settings and I read somehwre the shipping setting was mainly for "the app
store"
so maybe that's it?

I mean I dream a lot
and one day in my dream I finishe this game then buy a Mac and refactor the game for iOS

because I rely on global illumination to light level the GI isn't just a graphical added bonus but necessary so maybe I need some kind
of light that doesn't make shadows and lights everything at a background/ambient level so player can see levels

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I wanted to make some dynamic stuff for my web page so I converted what was flat files into php + mysql. I've never coded or done any database things so I'm learning a lot of things.

wish I had more time to gently caress around with it.

yes yes I know, php is dumb poo poo for idiots but it's doing a p good job of teaching me coding basics. if the webs page was something more ambitious I'd learn Django or node.js, taht's probs the next step once I get it working on this stack.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
careful because the long term effects of php exposure are a love of taco bell and other poor life decisions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ahmeni posted:

careful because the long term effects of php exposure are a love of taco bell and becoming TBC

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ahmeni posted:

I had just assumed I was missing some shader level support for the volumetric lighting, I'll kick around in the settings tonight and see if I can get a working OS X build
the game feels fuckin fun though

High-wattage dry hits do, in fact, suck. At least it was 90W on a .5Ω 24ga dual coil setup in a Mutation X so it wasn't nearly as hot as a dry hit on a .2Ω build with the same atty on a mech (fun fact: that ~70W dry hit was infinitely worse). It was definitely a big dry hit but at least it wasn't scorching hot. Dry hitting Kayfuns at 30W sucks in its own special way since every single bit of air that gets through that tiny tight draw is going to be loving burning hot on top of that lovely dry hit taste. There's just not a lot of coil surface area there to work with, even on a 28ga build.

You can't just think of watts and vapor temperature as being linearly related; coil surface area plays a big part in how hot your vape will get, along with airflow through the atty. Steam-engine actually has a handy little calculator for heat flux density (in mW/(mm^2)) on their coil wrapping page and I pay close attention to that when I'm building coils since that in combination with knowing the airflow of the atty I'm using will give me a very solid idea of how hot my vapor is actually going to get when I use the coil on a mech or how many watts I should set my box to in order to get the heat I want. Airflow will determine the size of the clouds; heat flux density will determine how hot those clouds get.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next shipment of randyjews, I can't wait to try the blueberry cinnamon waffles and to re-up on the Grasspearry Elixir, that stuff is amazing.

computer toucher posted:

yes yes I know, php is dumb poo poo for idiots but it's doing a p good job of teaching me coding basics. if the webs page was something more ambitious I'd learn Django or node.js, taht's probs the next step once I get it working on this stack.

Pretty much everything you eat and drink has some amount of propylene glycol in it, sauces, salad dressing, chips, soup, ice cream, bread, soda, juice, hot dogs, everything. Not to mention most flavorings and scents use pg as the base to the solution. Soap, deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics, air fresheners, candles, and a ton of other stuff. It would be easier to list everything that doesn't have pg, it's an incredibly useful chemical.

That's what's kind of funny about this fireball thing, especially in the light of all the press vaping has gotten recently, if pg was harmful we would all be dead by now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
uh huh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that kinda owns. its a world so far away from mine. i have to bury myself in a fake rocket world with rocket babes just to escape reality

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
rip 290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hmm