Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

All the recruiters in the orlando area seem to be smoking hot young woman. The last one who contacted me, on her LinkedIn profile her previous job was assistant manager at an Abercrombie store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syg
Mar 9, 2012
I want to talk bonuses.

How many of your jobs are heavily bonus related? Our company pays what I think is a disproportionate bonus structure. We get a "guaranteed" christmas bonus thats around 30% of our salary. It's only done at our small corporate office and apparently has been that way forever. The issue is I'm not sure how to compare my current salary against other opportunities when this bonus is involved. I see a job for say a systems architect posted at $70k-78k and wonder, is it worth applying for if I'm currently making $70k+$21k every year?

Do most IT jobs pay large bonuses at the higher end of the field? Or is this an anomaly? For what its worth I'm in a smaller city.

Should I be comparing my salary+bonus at m current gig to the listed salary at other potential gigs since its not variable each year?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

You should focus primarily on salary+benefits(PTO,401k,Health Insurance) above all else. Many companies will offer bonuses but if you dig into details it's often unlikely it'll be hit.

If they focus and keeping focuses on the "potential bonuses" this is a large red flag.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Remote workers, can I get a "gently caress yeah" for $150 used Aerons?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Remote workers, can I get a "gently caress yeah" for $150 used Aerons?

I'll also give a "gently caress yeah" for Steelcase or Ikea Galant modular desks. But I don't live in NYC, so I have space.

syg posted:

I want to talk bonuses.

How many of your jobs are heavily bonus related? Our company pays what I think is a disproportionate bonus structure. We get a "guaranteed" christmas bonus thats around 30% of our salary. It's only done at our small corporate office and apparently has been that way forever. The issue is I'm not sure how to compare my current salary against other opportunities when this bonus is involved. I see a job for say a systems architect posted at $70k-78k and wonder, is it worth applying for if I'm currently making $70k+$21k every year?

Do most IT jobs pay large bonuses at the higher end of the field? Or is this an anomaly? For what its worth I'm in a smaller city.

Should I be comparing my salary+bonus at m current gig to the listed salary at other potential gigs since its not variable each year?

My bonuses are variable, but they're a significant part of my salary regardless. Average what you've made for the last few years and use that as a baseline for what you're willing to accept.

Also, unless you're in a tiny market, $70k-80k for an architect is highway robbery.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I was talking to our SourceFire professional services engineer today while he was in for our scheduled session. Dude works from home most days, travels to client sites maybe 1-2 days a week, and travels all over the world. How the hell does one land a job like this?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I was talking to our SourceFire professional services engineer today while he was in for our scheduled session. Dude works from home most days, travels to client sites maybe 1-2 days a week, and travels all over the world. How the hell does one land a job like this?

They are hurting on the DoD/Federal side for SE's with active clearances. Plus now that Cisco owns them, they get all the telework with telepresence benefits that Cisco offers to employees.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

It looks like something Robert Half would give candidates, and some of it is awfully finicky, but it's still what I meant by being able to pass an LPI sample test.

Missed this earlier.

Yea, it's probably not the best test but I'm trying to get a grasp on what's considered "basic linux skills" as sometimes it's kind of hard to tell where you stand.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I could ask this in the Linux thread but I'm sure others are in the same spot as me.

If I don't work in a Linux environment, what is a good series of steps to go from zero to hero?

I've got the Jang book, but it seems like it's written with someone more advanced in mind.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess I could ask this in the Linux thread but I'm sure others are in the same spot as me.

If I don't work in a Linux environment, what is a good series of steps to go from zero to hero?

I've got the Jang book, but it seems like it's written with someone more advanced in mind.

Buy linux cloud box. Buy domain. Setup email DNS web hosting. Install off shelf blogging software. Make it work. Start supporting said server. Find cool things on the Internet to do to said linux server.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been doing a bit of reading and talking to various linxy people. Basically, you have some IT Background but limited linux experience you start at the LPIC-1 through Edx or whatever resource then hit the RHCSA/RHCE.

That's my plan at least, ask me in 6-8 months and I'll let you know how it goes.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

Download Virtualbox and Ubuntu to get familiar.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Buy linux cloud box. Buy domain. Setup email DNS web hosting. Install off shelf blogging software. Make it work. Start supporting said server. Find cool things on the Internet to do to said linux server.

I actually did this, with the exception of mail. I can not figure that poo poo out.

Otherwise I think I'm going to follow the steps that other people have suggested.

There's a big jump between
sudo apt-get sl
and configuring postfix.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I actually did this, with the exception of mail. I can not figure that poo poo out.

Otherwise I think I'm going to follow the steps that other people have suggested.

There's a big jump between
sudo apt-get sl
and configuring postfix.

If you can get the lamp stack down, everything Internet wise builds off that. You just start replacing stuff with other stuff. Bye Apache to nginx. Bye MySQL to PostgreSQL. Bye php to Python or God forbid perl. Throw in some Ruby on Rails and mongrel and mod proxy.

Email is of course terrible and should be outsourced. Seriously gently caress email. gently caress everything about email. If any of you are primary email admins I pity you and hope you save the last bullet for yourselves.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

jaegerx posted:

Email is of course terrible and should be outsourced. Seriously gently caress email. gently caress everything about email. If any of you are primary email admins I pity you and hope you save the last bullet for yourselves.

I had never touched email until 11 months ago, and at this point, I want to say gently caress it and go back to smoke signals and carrier pigeons.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

When you're referring to Python/Ruby/Perl for Linux Administration gigs, how much programming is involved here? Or scripting...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

When you're referring to Python/Ruby/Perl for Linux Administration gigs, how much programming is involved here? Or scripting...

Supporting the app. So like python is eggs. Ruby is gems. Perl is modules. You need to ensure that poo poo is correct. It's hell on earth especially with perl. Cpan is terrible but pypy and the gems are good. Generally in web apps now they lock down to a specific version and release in those. Docker and containers will save us all soon.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Supporting the app. So like python is eggs. Ruby is gems. Perl is modules. You need to ensure that poo poo is correct. It's hell on earth especially with perl. Cpan is terrible but pypy and the gems are good. Generally in web apps now they lock down to a specific version and release in those. Docker and containers will save us all soon.

What's confusing to me, is Linux Administrating is well an administration job yet I need to be a programmer too?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What's confusing to me, is Linux Administrating is well an administration job yet I need to be a programmer too?

Depends on where you end up and want to go. I think every good tech has a little programmer in them. It's so we can automate the tedious stuff. It could be bash or Python or powershell. You need a basic understanding of it to really exceed.

E: I really don't know how to say it any better. I've never been a traditional linux sysadmin. I've always had to troubleshoot code and write my own. Maybe someone else can chime in. Bash though is a serious must know. It will save you so many hours and make you a hero in the eyes of your peers.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 31, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Short answer is yes. Windows admin is slowly going this way, too.

Long answer is that it's mostly short scripts users will never see that you don't have to collaborate with anyone on and you can use almost any tools you want. So it's different/nicer than development.

But yes, good admins have a little programmer in them. I'd almost say you can't be a good admin without it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Read an RHC[SA|E] study guide. Read (or skim) the RHEL/CentOS or Fedora admin/deployment guides.

Mostly, start actually using it. Find a real use for it. Not just blogging or DNS or email, necessarily, but think of the stuff you do in PowerShell, then do it in Linux. Write scripts to organize your music library by identifying with musicbrainz and tagging with an id3 library. Set up Usenet automation. Play games. Use Windows as little as possible, and you'll run into problems. Solve them. Googling the error message (or just the symptoms and the app name) will help a lot.

Remember how you got good with Windows? Same stuff.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Oh poo poo I forget and should've mentioned it since friends of mine started it. Trueability.com is a linux testing site. They have weekly quizzes and tests for people to practice on.

Please have at it. It won't hurt you.

I helped with the first set of quizzes and now other companies are enlisting them to quiz people on the new techs like docker.

It conciently doubles as a job recruiter site so you might get hits from employers.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

jaegerx posted:

Those who can do. Those who can't recruit.

Or those that realize "doing" is not their calling leave it to the pros and find an easier path to making a six figure income while helping others accelerate their careers.

Good generalization though... You're probably the 1 out of 100 people I talk to where the conversation ends with a curt "best of luck in your search".

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 31, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think that there are shitheads in every line of work. We've probably all run into shithead sysadmins and shithead recruiters.

We all know that a highly skilled and motivated sysadmin is worth their weight in gold, I'd say the same is true for a recruiter.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

Or those that realize "doing" is not their calling leave it to the pros and find an easier path to making a six figure income while helping others accelerate their careers.

Good generalization though... You're probably the 1 out of 100 people I talk to where the conversation ends with a curt "best of luck in your search".

That's fine. You'd be the recruiter I didn't want to deal with. You're in it for the money according to your post. You want the 6 figure salary to place me into mine. I'm glad your art degree is finally paying off. Your dad would be so proud. Let me know when you pay off the student loans you took to take a job to place me into a job I enjoy and am good at.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

mattfl posted:

All the recruiters in the orlando area seem to be smoking hot young woman. The last one who contacted me, on her LinkedIn profile her previous job was assistant manager at an Abercrombie store.

Man recruiters must be so qualified. What department store did you manage before dark?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Man recruiters must be so qualified. What department store did you manage before dark?

FYI, you are coming across as an insufferable twat right now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am a network engineer in an ISP. We're currently hiring and the interviewees generally get paraded around the departments so that those running them can have a mini interview with them. I keep getting this sprung on me with no warning so I've been flapping between generic interview questions or technical questions which invariably make them squirm. Does anyone have any good suggestions for questions that can give me a bit of insight into the interviewee's personality? I've not really done this before.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

KennyTheFish posted:

FYI, you are coming across as an insufferable twat right now.

Seriously? This guy is bragging about his 6 figure income on placing people into jobs when his only real role is reciting the questions the techs wrote down for him and then transcribing them for the techs to review.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Oh poo poo I forget and should've mentioned it since friends of mine started it. Trueability.com is a linux testing site. They have weekly quizzes and tests for people to practice on.

I helped with the first set of quizzes and now other companies are enlisting them to quiz people on the new techs like docker.

It conciently doubles as a job recruiter site so you might get hits from employers.

This looks pretty neat. It seems to be aimed at people a little more advanced than I am but I guess that's probably the best place to learn.

I checked the forums and found some advice on getting started:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

This is super basic but that's what I need right now. I already knew most of this but it filled in some holes where I didn't know what I didn't know.

Edit:

Following up with this guy:
http://nixsrv.com/llthw

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 31, 2014

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Seriously? This guy is bragging about his 6 figure income on placing people into jobs when his only real role is reciting the questions the techs wrote down for him and then transcribing them for the techs to review.

Sounds like someone's a little jealous

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm a Windows guy but sites like that trueability.com are really useful for brushing up on Linux, because I never use it day to day.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

jaegerx posted:

your only role is rebooting computers right

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

jaegerx posted:

What I'm gathering from this is that you're upset that, despite being "incapable" by your standards, he makes a lot more money than you. So who's the failure here?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
It's almost like some recruiters sell employers to prospects, and some sell prospects to employers :o:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's plenty of terrible recruiters out there, but there's also some really good ones. And they're usually highly compensated because they earn their firms a lot of money, which is universal for senior sales positions across industries.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

jaegerx posted:

This is a really cool site. Signed up, interested to see all it's got to offer.

Speaking of this type of thing, anybody else used http://www.codecademy.com/ ? I started doing their Python training and it's really well done.
I've been going through that and starting to go through the problems at http://acm.timus.ru/ and feel like I'm learning a lot.

Also, I did that one Intro to Linux course from EdX mentioned above, really enjoyed it.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

jaegerx posted:

So yeah, I had a few beers after hockey last night and came home to find your statement more objectionable than I do this morning. After a cup of coffee, I just find it childish and I probably should have ignored it. Part of me wishes I had phrased my comeback differently, but I didn't so let's keep the party going.

I am not and will never be here to white knight the staffing world. It's a pit of snakes and I get why there is so much animosity. All it takes is one bad experience... I lurk and post here to see just what some of these objections are so I can make sure I'm not doing them. (like calling people resources) However, I maintain that as an IT professional it's well worth your time to build partnerships with a good local recruiter or three. They are your extra sets of eyes into the market and might be able to toss you a life raft if your ship suddenly sinks.

It's true, I do what I do to make money. But I think we all do, don't we? But part of the job I love is mentoring. Helping others find a job or change career trajectory is hugely rewarding.

Since (while trying 6 different ways to insult me) you asked, I don't have a degree. I got about 2 years into my Info Sys program and then I got offered a sweet desktop gig at a "major financial institution" and I bounced out and ran with it. It was 1998 so they were literally handing out IT jobs then. Sorry, no student loans here. While doing that job, I also managed a bar a few nights a week. After that I was an independent contractor for about 7 years, doing commercial and (gasp) residential networking/desktop/server work. That job was a hustle, and I learned that I was more interested in the customer/relationship piece of the job than the tech part. I love technology, grew up on computers, still love gaming, and I like keeping tabs on the new tech stuff.

There is no degree in staffing. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I probably won't do this forever. But I enjoy it immensely and it's exciting. No 2 days are the same and there is always a new fire to put out.

As to your description of what I do? Yes, some days I do some keyword matching. But unlike Venkat the remote recruiter from 6 states or an ocean away, I meet almost all my candidates in person and get to know them. I also meet my clients and visit their offices in the hopes to understand their culture and needs better. Clients pay us to bring them top talent and specific skill sets, but they also pay us to find great junior people with good potential. In short, we function as an extension of (or directly as) their HR department. I don't need to know everything about every technology. My knowledge pool is an inch deep and a mile wide. It's just a bit deeper on the infrastructure side than app dev because I used to do it. My role is to have the people skills you so clearly don't have. Just like the guy from Office Space.

Best of luck in your search.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 31, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well said Dark Helmut.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Dark Helmut posted:

Best of luck in your search.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
E-mail is great but e-mail as a file transfer medium makes me want to commit genocide and basically gently caress people who dont stop their users from turning .psts into storage lockers for literally everything