Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Welcome to Codebreaker!

Codebreaker is a hybrid game of Survivor and Mastermind for 13 players.

In this game, there is an overall "code" made up of thirteen code segments, each in its own line. Each player is given one of the thirteen segments (all are seven-letter words) at the start of the game, as well its placement in the overall solution. A player's code segment is revealed to all participants when he or she is eliminated from the game. The first person to submit the correct code is the winner!

Please do not come into the game with pre-defined alliances! As this game is largely social with limited communication, it would be a significant and unfair advantage. Additionally, editing your posts is not allowed in this game!

Day Phase:
  • There will be a plurality vote in each Day to remove one player from the game.
  • When a player is eliminated, their personal code segment will be revealed to the thread.
  • The placement of the flipped code segment will only be revealed half the time - the second elimination, fourth, sixth, etc.
  • To vote for a player, post ##vote Poque in the thread. You can ##unvote, but it is unnecessary as another ##vote will cancel the first vote as well.
  • The Day does NOT end once a majority vote is received - the votecount at the time of the deadline is the final count. Votes received at :01 or beyond will not be parsed.
  • If there is a tie at the deadline, the first player who got to the tied vote is eliminated - unless the tie was achieved by an unvote, in which case the unvoted player is eliminated. For example:
  • 1) A 3, B 3 -> A 4, B 3 -> A 4, B 4 -> Deadline: A is eliminated, as s/he got to four votes first.
  • 2) A 3, B 3 -> A 4, B 3 -> A 4, B 4 -> A 4, B 5 -> A 4, B 4 -> Deadline: B is eliminated, as the tie vote occurred through the unvote.
  • Each player can submit one guess to the overall code per Day. This is covered in more detail in the "Guessing" section below.
  • Days will end at 9pm Eastern on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Night Phase:
  • Each player determines their lines of communication for the following Day during Night. This is covered in more detail in the "Communication" section below.
  • The results of the best guesses from the previous Day will be revealed. However, neither the name of the guessers nor the guesses themselves will be shown.
  • Sample results: "Eight players submitted guesses on Day 1. One player correctly identified 5 code segments. One player correctly placed 3 code segments. One player had 4 correct code segments one spot away from their correct placement." It will not be revealed if these players are the same person.
  • Communication outside the thread is NOT PERMITTED during Night!
  • Nights will end at Noon Eastern on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Guessing:
  • Each player can submit one guess of the overall code per Day. This is submitted via PM.
  • To make it easier to get results, guesses should be encased in (code) tags with each code segment on its on separate line.
  • The guesser will receive three pieces of information: the number of code blocks they have correctly identified, the number of correct code blocks they have placed properly, and the number of correct code blocks they have one line away from the correct placement.
  • The actual placement loops for the "one line away" requirement - if a player submits the first line's code at line 13, that counts as "one line away."
  • Withholding a guess on one Day does not increase the number of guesses for a later Day.

Communication:
  • During each Night phase, each player submits the name of one person they would like to communicate with outside of the thread for the following Day (no outside communication on Day 1).
  • This creates a two-way line of communication - for example, if Player A selects Player B, and Player B selects Player C, B will be able to communicate with both A and C outside of the thread for that Day.
  • These lines of communication do not carry over to another Day unless created again in the next Night phase.
  • A player can pre-submit their communication choice for later Days if desired.
  • Communication in the thread is always allowed - but all posts must be able to be interpreted by all players. No encrypted messages or things of that nature.

Game End:
The game ends the instant somebody submits the entire code in the correct order. Daily voting will continue until the game ends or there are two players remaining. If the game reaches two players but neither player correctly submits the code, each remaining player will have their code segment revealed and it becomes a showdown. The two remaining players will cycle through Day/Night phases as quickly as they can make their submissions - the first player to get it right will win!

Poque fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Example Guesses & Results:
Assume the actual code is as follows:
code:
WITCH
MUMMY
PANDA
SKULL
GHOST
If a player submits:
code:
WITCH
HAUNT
SKULL
PANDA
GHOUL
They would be told (without parenthetical information):
1. You have correctly identified 3 code segments (WITCH, PANDA, SKULL).
2. You have correctly placed 1 code segment (WITCH).
3. You have 2 code segments off by one spot (PANDA, SKULL).

If a player submits:
code:
SKULL
MUMMY
MUMMY
PANDA
WITCH
They would be told:
1. You have correctly identified 4 code segments (SKULL, MUMMY, PANDA, WITCH).
2. You have correctly placed 1 code segment (MUMMY).
3. You have 3 code segments off by one spot (MUMMY, PANDA, WITCH).

Notice that even though this player correctly placed the first MUMMY, the second one would still show up as being one line away. Guess wisely!

If you have questions that can be answered using this hypothetical code, please feel free to make "guesses" in the thread to get clarification.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Current roster:

1. ActingPower
  2. EXAKT Science
  3. Hal Incandenza
  4. merk
  5. MildManeredManikin
  6. Power of Pecota
  7. Rarity
  8. Strong Mouse
  9. Thanatosian
  10. winvirus

Eliminated players:
  1. Nevermore214 - SCAPULA (?)
  2. Byers2142 - GLASGOW (10)
  3. Somberbrero - ARSENIC (?)

Poque fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ooh, intriguing! I'm in!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Yeah, I'm definitely in this one.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I'm gonna keep my eye on this as well. I'm certainly cool to play, but I'm gonna have to wrap my head around the rules.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Bastard.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
^^^^ hahahahahahahaha ^^^^

ActingPower posted:

I'm gonna keep my eye on this as well. I'm certainly cool to play, but I'm gonna have to wrap my head around the rules.

The OP is pretty long, but it's mainly just detailed to help avoid ambiguity. In short, you make a guess to the full code and vote somebody out in the day, and set up OOT communications for the following day at night.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Sounds interesting; I'd like to get in on this.

Do you need separate PMs for guesses and declarations of who we're communicating with, or can we just send you one? Are we allowed to change the person we're communicating with once we've told you, provided we do it before the end of the night? Are the words going to have a theme or commonality, or is that something we'll have to figure out on our own?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'll hop in on this! It sounds like a lot of fun!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds interesting; I'd like to get in on this.

Do you need separate PMs for guesses and declarations of who we're communicating with, or can we just send you one? Are we allowed to change the person we're communicating with once we've told you, provided we do it before the end of the night? Are the words going to have a theme or commonality, or is that something we'll have to figure out on our own?

1) You can combine PMs if you'd like. For the most part, your guesses and communication requests will happen in separate phases (guesses must be done during the day, communication requests are due by the end of the night) - but since I'm allowing people to submit communication requests for later days during earlier days (i.e. it's near the end of day 1, and you might be busy during the night, so you submit your day 2 comm request early), it could happen. I have no problem with it.
2) Yeah, since there's no OOT communication during the night, it's fine to switch that up before the next day begins. But once a day has started, that line of communication is set until the following day.
3) The only ways you'll learn code words are through a player elimination (which will always be true) or by being told it by somebody else in the game (but they could lie!) - there's no theme, so guessing somebody's code word would be an impressive feat.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Are we allowed to post our code/position in the open in the thread if we so choose?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thanatosian posted:

Are we allowed to post our code/position in the open in the thread if we so choose?

Absolutely.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Added a clarification in the OP:

Poque posted:

Communication in the thread is always allowed - but all posts must be able to be interpreted by all players. No encrypted messages or things of that nature.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

Communication:
  • Communication in the thread is always allowed - but all posts must be able to be interpreted by all players. No encrypted messages or things of that nature.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Thankfully, ZXing is super-easy to find on Google.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MUMMY

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

SPYDER

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

THE CROW FLIES AT MIDNIGHT

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

THE CROW FLIES AT MIDNIGHT

ERIC DRAVEN LIVES

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

REDRUM

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would like to play since this is not Mafia

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Sure.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I didn't review this game did I? I reviewed someone's code game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

I would like to play since this is not Mafia

This is a trick to draw the people who are on break or just done with Mafia games back in.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

merk posted:

Nope, not mine. Maybe an Opop game?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

BRUCECHEN

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

It's was Byers'.

This look cool but I'm pretty sure I'm too dumb to play. I'll give it a shot anyway!

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I will play

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Are you still taking signups? If so I am interested.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yep still going! Just need one more now!

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Take me!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sweet, that fills us up! I was planning on starting us off on Monday with the first deadline set for Wednesday.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I will be sending out codes and segment placements at noon eastern - about 90 minutes!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A note about counting votes -

This game will operate using VoteFinder. You can see our game's page at http://votefinder.org/game/codebreaker . You don't need to sign up for anything, it just scours threads to find votes. As such, it's important to properly format your votes as described in the OP. Bolding is required for votes!

You can force a refresh of the vote count on that page or wait 5-10 minutes for votefinder to find it. I will also add an auto-refreshing votecount into one of the first few posts of the thread, as well. Keep in mind that the only vote count that is official is the one that happens right at the deadline - votes can be changed any time up to :00! Votes at :01 or beyond will not be counted.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can we make cool survivor votes instead if we want?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
PMs are out - the game begins!
It is now Day 1!

There is no communication outside of thread on Day 1.
Day 1 ends on Wednesday, November 5, at 9pm Eastern.

I'm always available to answer questions, whether in the thread or via PM. Feel free to submit guesses against the hypothetical code in the second post if you want more examples of how the system works.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (13): ActingPower, Byers2142, EXAKT Science, Hal Incandenza, merk, MildManeredManikin, Nevermore214, Power of Pecota, Rarity, Somberbrero, Strong Mouse, Thanatosian, winvirus

There are 13 living players. The elimination is based on a plurality vote!

The current deadline is November 05th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MildManeredManikin posted:

Can we make cool survivor votes instead if we want?

Sure, if you want. But you can always unvote....

• Locked thread