Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

go3 posted:

E-mail is great but e-mail as a file transfer medium makes me want to commit genocide and basically gently caress people who dont stop their users from turning .psts into storage lockers for literally everything

I worked at a place where they literally didn't know how to 'upload files' to a server and only emailed poo poo back and forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Bob Morales posted:

I worked at a place where they literally didn't know how to 'upload files' to a server and only emailed poo poo back and forth

Hi Bob I think one of the files on the server is broken I can't open it can you please help I have a meeting in 5 minutes the file name is
RE: RE: RE: FWD: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: FWD: FWD: RE: Meeting Minutes (Updated) (FINAL) (Additional Notes) Followup (1).doc
thanks
:byodood:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cenodoxus posted:

Hi Bob I think one of the files on the server is broken I can't open it can you please help I have a meeting in 5 minutes the file name is
RE: RE: RE: FWD: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: FWD: FWD: RE: Meeting Minutes (Updated) (FINAL) (Additional Notes) Followup (1).doc
thanks
:byodood:

I meant like, imagine a list of 100 customers, say an Excel spreadsheet, instead of uploading or importing it to the application that runs on the server, they email the file to newcustomers@xyz.com

It works like this for every process you can think of

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

All the recruiters in the orlando area seem to be smoking hot young woman. The last one who contacted me, on her LinkedIn profile her previous job was assistant manager at an Abercrombie store.

I swear everyone on LinkedIn uses a photo from 20 years ago. One woman I used to work with appeared to have her late 80's high school yearbook photo on there complete with amazing 80's hair and outfit. With ageism being a rampant thing I can't really blame people for doing so. But could you make it a little less hilariously obvious? I'm pretty sure the Senior VP of Marketing or whatever isn't 17.

Misogynist posted:

Remote workers, can I get a "gently caress yeah" for $150 used Aerons?

:argh: I scored a used Steelcase Leap off Craigslist for about $400 and thought I had gotten a deal.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My Linkedin photo is from 2 years before I grew a beard and when i was drunk off my rear end in Reykjavik. Seems to work well.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

go3 posted:

E-mail is great but e-mail as a file transfer medium makes me want to commit genocide and basically gently caress people who dont stop their users from turning .psts into storage lockers for literally everything

Our users like to upload the exact same files to our file server, SharePoint, their user drive, local drive, email to themselves and then put it in Dropbox (which we explicitly tell them is against policy). BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW :byodood:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

Before our switch to O365, our groupwise environment has NO limit on file sizes for attachments. We had users sending 1GB files to each other and clogging up the whole queue until it transferred. I wish I were joking.

Needless to say, having a 15mb limit on email now pissed a LOT of people off.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What the hell kind of data are your users sending?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sacred Cow posted:

Our users like to upload the exact same files to our file server, SharePoint, their user drive, local drive, email to themselves and then put it in Dropbox (which we explicitly tell them is against policy). BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW :byodood:

Hehe, our security guy received an email from Dropbox saying "We see that you have over 2,000 employees using Dropbox using the @companyname.com email address and we'd like to talk to you about Dropbox for Business :v:"

That was fun

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

We have a Box corporate account and the security guy pitches a fit about it whenever possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BigPaddy posted:

We have a Box corporate account and the security guy pitches a fit about it whenever possible.

We're paying for OneDrive for Business, Microsoft removed all storage caps two days ago, and I figured out how to sync an entire hard drive to it with folder redirection :getin:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

We're paying for OneDrive for Business, Microsoft removed all storage caps two days ago, and I figured out how to sync an entire hard drive to it with folder redirection :getin:

Isn't OneDrive still a sharepoint site collection or has this changed? If it is, there are significant storage limitations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

1:22pm EST, 10/31/14 :aaa:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

:argh: I scored a used Steelcase Leap off Craigslist for about $400 and thought I had gotten a deal.
To be fair, it's an older ('99?) Aeron, reconditioned but in great shape, but that means it has the old-style lumbar support instead of the new PostureFit, so I'm probably going to have to drop another $100 on that if I don't find a used kit.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Get your chair chat right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I just got this email

quote:

Position Sr. Linux Administrator
Location Training in Naples, FL & then in Maryland
Job Type C2H/ Contract

Job Description:
· 15 yrs + Linux System Administrator Experience.

lol.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hey look it takes time to grow a proper neckbeard ok. You can't rush these things or just fake it til you make it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

Hey look it takes time to grow a proper neckbeard ok. You can't rush these things or just fake it til you make it.

Someone please photoshop Stallman's hair into a jugend so I can show the hipsters with scraggly beards what they actually look like when they grow it out longer than their hair.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell kind of data are your users sending?

A lot of Photoshop and Illustrator files. Oh, and they were using email for versioning for those huge files too. Management balked at the idea of buying an actual CMS because OMG MONEY!?. I have a foot out of the door here before the whole company implodes.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

15 years lol suck my dick.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dark Helmut posted:

So yeah, I had a few beers after hockey last night and came home to find your statement more objectionable than I do this morning. After a cup of coffee, I just find it childish and I probably should have ignored it. Part of me wishes I had phrased my comeback differently, but I didn't so let's keep the party going.

I am not and will never be here to white knight the staffing world. It's a pit of snakes and I get why there is so much animosity. All it takes is one bad experience... I lurk and post here to see just what some of these objections are so I can make sure I'm not doing them. (like calling people resources) However, I maintain that as an IT professional it's well worth your time to build partnerships with a good local recruiter or three. They are your extra sets of eyes into the market and might be able to toss you a life raft if your ship suddenly sinks.

It's true, I do what I do to make money. But I think we all do, don't we? But part of the job I love is mentoring. Helping others find a job or change career trajectory is hugely rewarding.

Since (while trying 6 different ways to insult me) you asked, I don't have a degree. I got about 2 years into my Info Sys program and then I got offered a sweet desktop gig at a "major financial institution" and I bounced out and ran with it. It was 1998 so they were literally handing out IT jobs then. Sorry, no student loans here. While doing that job, I also managed a bar a few nights a week. After that I was an independent contractor for about 7 years, doing commercial and (gasp) residential networking/desktop/server work. That job was a hustle, and I learned that I was more interested in the customer/relationship piece of the job than the tech part. I love technology, grew up on computers, still love gaming, and I like keeping tabs on the new tech stuff.

There is no degree in staffing. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I probably won't do this forever. But I enjoy it immensely and it's exciting. No 2 days are the same and there is always a new fire to put out.

As to your description of what I do? Yes, some days I do some keyword matching. But unlike Venkat the remote recruiter from 6 states or an ocean away, I meet almost all my candidates in person and get to know them. I also meet my clients and visit their offices in the hopes to understand their culture and needs better. Clients pay us to bring them top talent and specific skill sets, but they also pay us to find great junior people with good potential. In short, we function as an extension of (or directly as) their HR department. I don't need to know everything about every technology. My knowledge pool is an inch deep and a mile wide. It's just a bit deeper on the infrastructure side than app dev because I used to do it. My role is to have the people skills you so clearly don't have. Just like the guy from Office Space.

Best of luck in your search.

I had a little too much to drink as well. I apologize, your initial post came off on me wrong. Insulting me on your last sentence didn't help but I'll ignore it because it's wrong. Lets just get back to the thread.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Due to conflict at my employer, it looks like I'm going to officially be the most senior member of my very short-staffed team. I'm not willing to say exactly what happened yet as the final outcome has not been reached, but let's just say that "ninja moves" and police were involved.

Currently I'm leaning towards weathering the storm and grabbing onto as much power as I can, and possibly making the jump to management at some point. Other members of my team have different ideas and don't want to deal with the situation, so just going elsewhere would be the route of least resistance if things took a turn for the worse here. Losing just one more person would make my job VERY difficult and would almost put me into an always on-call situation, which I absolutely will not deal with.

So, any advice on how to deal with crazy situations like this, and perhaps ways to leverage to my advantage? Also, I have two job slots opening next week for sr. linux sysadmins doing web operations in sunnyvale. :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Have an exit plan just in case someone puts the kibosh on your nascent power accumulation and/or thinks you being on call 24/7 is totally cool

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hope for the best, and plan for tropical drinks on a beach somewhere like Milton at the end of Office Space.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

joe944 posted:

Due to conflict at my employer, it looks like I'm going to officially be the most senior member of my very short-staffed team. I'm not willing to say exactly what happened yet as the final outcome has not been reached, but let's just say that "ninja moves" and police were involved.

Currently I'm leaning towards weathering the storm and grabbing onto as much power as I can, and possibly making the jump to management at some point. Other members of my team have different ideas and don't want to deal with the situation, so just going elsewhere would be the route of least resistance if things took a turn for the worse here. Losing just one more person would make my job VERY difficult and would almost put me into an always on-call situation, which I absolutely will not deal with.

So, any advice on how to deal with crazy situations like this, and perhaps ways to leverage to my advantage? Also, I have two job slots opening next week for sr. linux sysadmins doing web operations in sunnyvale. :)

My company was bought out, and our senior admin fled immediately. I took over the network side of operations; they didn't offer me his position, and to be honest, I'd much rather have a second voice to help fight the good fight. What happened? Management decided they were doing just fine without a senior guy and eliminated the position. Now I'm stuck with double the work at non-senior pay, and our UNIX guy has been on call since 2013. Don't be us.

I would get management to confirm that there will be an opening for his position, and definitely let them know that you're interested in filling it. If you are passed over, that's a vote of no confidence, and looking elsewhere is a much more reasonable alternative to waiting for things to improve.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Part of the problem is that the previous role was both technical team lead and manager, which is a fault of upper management to properly staff the department. This will be remedied and there will be a split lead/management role, however, I think it would be too early in my technical career to go for a pure management role. Not sure if they plan to have another official team lead in title, since that would warrant giving me another raise but I'll have to discuss that at some point.

We aren't short staffed to the point of only being 1 or 2 people, but there are many issues that either myself or one of a short list of developers has to step in and troubleshoot/fix. I really can't complain much because things are running quite smoothly, I just don't have the manpower to accomplish the big project work that I want done in a timely manner. For over a year now I've been migrating chunks of our infrastructure that hadn't been touched in 5-7 years over to our puppet environment, so I have quite a few things that I'd like to see completed for reputation's sake and pride. Definitely going to be keeping my eyes open for better opportunities though.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

joe944 posted:

We aren't short staffed to the point of only being 1 or 2 people, but there are many issues that either myself or one of a short list of developers has to step in and troubleshoot/fix. I really can't complain much because things are running quite smoothly, I just don't have the manpower to accomplish the big project work that I want done in a timely manner. For over a year now I've been migrating chunks of our infrastructure that hadn't been touched in 5-7 years over to our puppet environment, so I have quite a few things that I'd like to see completed for reputation's sake and pride. Definitely going to be keeping my eyes open for better opportunities though.

There's Tier I work, and there's senior work. I've been doing for a year what you're planning to do (even have a list of all the things I set out to fix), and quickly found that not being in a senior role means I can't grow as much because the bulk of my day is still spent doing Tier I/day-to-day tasks. Don't be me. It sounds like your options are 1) senior work + senior pay, 2) senior work without the pay, 3) the status quo, 4) worse than the status quo. If you have the option to push for #1, even something like a team lead and not a full manager, I'd do it. I settled with #2, and pending a frank discussion with management at the upcoming employee reviews, it may take leaving to improve the situation.

Contingency fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 1, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On the same subject...

A few years ago I started a new gig. Before we go live, there's a eight-week training class. As always in Corporate America, everything is disorganized the trainer while totally cool is very new at her job. There's one guy we'll call Bob. Bob spends the majority of his time playing facebook games and socializing with the trainer. Whatever.

The last week hits and Bob realizes that he shouldn't have have screwing around. He attempts a coup, we need to go to management and tell them our trainer sucks and we aren't ready. On personal level, I'm pretty disgusted that Bob's gaming our trainer with his charisma and in my haste I called him out - maybe you shouldn't have been dicking around on Facebook all day long? Bob, doesn't like this and despite being in and working for one the biggest corporations in the world tries to make it physical. He gets close, pinches me and I'm positioned against a wall. Inside, I want to destroy this person but I know he's trying to goad me into a fight. I simply keep sitting in my chair, he ends walks back to his desk.

The rest of the class is shocked but kept silent. I thought about going to HR but there is a bit of truth to what he said. The class is disorganized, we're trained on a earlier version and on the wrong platform. It's not impossible but difficult and I can tell everyone is very nervous. It's probably easier for myself since I've done this kind technical work before. The trainer is also really well liked as a lot of us tended to be quite adventurous in our personal lives and while unprofessional we greatly enjoyed her stories about tripping on acid downtown.

How would you guys have handled this?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 1, 2014

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

On the same subject...

A few years ago I started a new gig. Before we go live, there's a eight-week training class. As always in Corporate America, everything is disorganized the trainer while totally cool is very new at her job. There's one guy will call Bob. Bob spends the majority of his time playing facebook games and socializing with the trainer. Whatever.

The last week hits and Bob realizes that he shouldn't have have screwing around. He attempts a coup, we need to go to management and tell them our trainer sucks and we aren't ready. On personal level, I'm pretty disgusted that Bob's gaming our trainer with his charisma and in my haste I called him out - maybe shouldn't have been dicking around on Facebook all day long? Bob, doesn't like this and despite being in and working for one the biggest corporations in the world tries to make it physical. He gets close, pinches me and I'm positioned against a wall. Inside, I want to destroy this person but I know he's trying to goad me into a fight. I stay slient, he ends walks back to his desk.

The rest of the class is shocked but kept silent. I thought about going to HR but there is a bit of truth to what he said. The class is disorganized, we're trained on a earlier version and on the wrong platform. It's not impossible but difficult although probably easier for myself since I've done this kind technical work before. The trainer is also really well liked as a lot of us tended to be quite adventurous in our personal lives and while unprofessional we greatly enjoyed her stories about tripping on acid downtown.

How would you guys have handled this?

First one to HR wins. You were physically intimidated by Bob, and although you don't want to make a big deal of it, you'd like it to be documented so it doesn't continue to be a problem.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

joe944 posted:

There's clearly a power vacuum and honestly if you think you can, then do it. Life is too short to put up with bullshit but I'd do both. Go for the management position and look for a new gig simultaneously.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

joe944 posted:

Part of the problem is that the previous role was both technical team lead and manager, which is a fault of upper management to properly staff the department. This will be remedied and there will be a split lead/management role, however, I think it would be too early in my technical career to go for a pure management role. Not sure if they plan to have another official team lead in title, since that would warrant giving me another raise but I'll have to discuss that at some point.

If your environment was previously a shitshow, there's big advantages to being the only admin for a little while. You get the chance to basically remake the infrastructure and the processes around it in your own image, and fix all the bullshit accumulated from years of inertia. If nothing else, it can be an awesome experience learning about your own limitations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Contingency posted:

First one to HR wins. You were physically intimidated by Bob, and although you don't want to make a big deal of it, you'd like it to be documented so it doesn't continue to be a problem.

If I go to HR, it's my word against his - right? If when he confronted me, someone in the class did something I would have been more inclined but I couldn't gauge - at least at the time - where loyalties lied.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Misogynist posted:

If your environment was previously a shitshow, there's big advantages to being the only admin for a little while. You get the chance to basically remake the infrastructure and the processes around it in your own image, and fix all the bullshit accumulated from years of inertia. If nothing else, it can be an awesome experience learning about your own limitations.

That's essentially what I've done with roughly 80% of the environment so far, which is one of the reasons things have been so stable as opposed to two years ago. I'm also a senior in title and pay, while the other guy was in the 150 range I'm fairly close, so my situation really isn't terrible. It's really just a WTF moment with so many potential outcomes.

I suppose my thought is where to go from there, once I'm done re-building and get the itch to do something different.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

If I go to HR, it's my word against his - right?

Right. It's also about control of the narrative. If there will be a discussion, it would be in your favor to have it be why he felt it necessary to bring in physicality more so than it would be about you participating in a heated discussion. You casting it as a problem that you're not demanding disciplinary action over lowers the odds anything will come of it, and thus require less investigation into both sides of the story.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

If I go to HR, it's my word against his - right?

Not with witnesses

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mewse posted:

Not with witnesses

Again, if when he confronted me someone spoke up it would have been a lot easier but nobody did.

Having the initiative and a paper-trail is very helpful. I never thought of it like that before. Thanks Contingency.

Once we went live, he ended up quitting the second day.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

Again, if when he confronted me someone spoke up it would have been a lot easier but nobody did.

You said the rest of the class was shocked. That means they saw, right? So what if they didn't speak up RIGHT THEN? Big public setting, people don't want to stick their neck out and make waves (see: your entire response to the situation). You go to HR, you make a formal complaint, and a competent HR department will interview everyone in the room, in private where they may feel more comfortable talking about it. That's if Bob doesn't immediately fold the instant HR comes to him with a formal documented complaint. Some people act much differently to people above them than they do otherwise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Good point.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here work as a consultant or "infrastructure engineer" at a collocation for data centers? Had some interesting offers passed my way, seems like a good mix of private IT vs. public facing consulting/architecting. Kinda interested in what it's actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the job description?