Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm sure I'm not the first person to wish that these devs would marry or otherwise bond with Rimworld Man and produce a litter of gears and human innards with a factory setting for cyborg armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
What a ripoff. All that work to build the rocket defence and all I get is a place-holder model.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You're still a winner! :neckbeard:

E: Wheres your avatar from Zephyrine?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The journey is it's own reward.

Ugh. I want more factorio.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Thyrork posted:

You're still a winner! :neckbeard:

E: Wheres your avatar from Zephyrine?

It's a cropped down version of this image

Made by an (I believe) Russian artist who also made some WoW related art.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Guess i've seen his/her other work then. Thank ya kindly.

Factorio related: The next "big" patch isn't multiplayer, that will come in the patch after, correct?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Thyrork posted:

Guess i've seen his/her other work then. Thank ya kindly.

Factorio related: The next "big" patch isn't multiplayer, that will come in the patch after, correct?

If I'm reading their Friday Updates right, the first edition of multiplayer is coming on Halloween.
E: It will be a buggy, desyncing mess for anyone not on a LAN or T1 line, according to them.
E2: Gonna get my laggy factorio on :fap:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

If I'm reading their Friday Updates right, the first edition of multiplayer is coming on Halloween.
E: It will be a buggy, desyncing mess for anyone not on a LAN or T1 line, according to them.
E2: Gonna get my laggy factorio on :fap:

I never found myself wanting multiplayer added.

I want the combat balanced and enhanced.

I mean we have four different weapons (not counting pistols) But regardless of progression the combat shotgun outclasses the others.

And the turrets have ridiculous balance.

The Gun Turret has to be reloaded manually, twice the size of the laser turret but despite all the drawbacks it still just has a fraction of the damage of the laser turret.

The Laser Turret meanwhile doesn't use ammo. Can be placed with impunity and they don't even use power in practise. They only use quick bursts of electricity that are compensated for with accumulators.

In reality the laser turret doesn't burden your over all power grid what so ever.

Ironically the gun turret does burden your power grid if you plan to mass produce the ammunition needed to run a whole bases defence with them.

I would also like to see some way to use resources to engage the aliens mid-level. If you have Power Armour MK2 then you can clear the nests with ease but before that, clearing nests is a cumbersome mess of moving turrets around. I'd like to be able to build something that requires large amounts of fuel and metals at the expense of clearing nests. Like some sort of massive ballistic missile with a large range. Something just so I can spend my effort on clearing nests at an expense but without having to move 50 laser turrets closer and closer and then having to clean them up. Not to mention all the cable.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The combat pass is next.

I agree that turrets need a big pass, though I'd prefer it being "Mk3 Turret is gun-type" since Mk1 turrets, fully upgraded, can already burn ammo faster than a blue-inserter can feed it.

Laser turrets can breed complacency; I lost most of a base once when I lost power while away and thus ended up with zero static defenses.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

The combat pass is next.

I agree that turrets need a big pass, though I'd prefer it being "Mk3 Turret is gun-type" since Mk1 turrets, fully upgraded, can already burn ammo faster than a blue-inserter can feed it.

Laser turrets can breed complacency; I lost most of a base once when I lost power while away and thus ended up with zero static defenses.

Maybe a Mk1 turret that does mediocre bullet damage and then the MK3 needs actual bullets loaded into it.

As for laser turrets. I did lose power once but that was just during an experiment to see if I could run on 45 steam engines with 200 solar panels and 182 accumulators. Didn't work all the way to morning

I would like to see many more ways to generate power. Especially ways that don't require a constant supply of water. Like mining for uranium that would be rare but could be used in nuclear power plants.

The water pipes is probably my biggest problem with power generation. That and the steam engines take up too much space for the power they generate.

By the way. Does anyone know the optimal amount of steam engines/boiler per offshore pump?

I just took a design that I knew worked and then copied it over and over. 9 engines and 12 boilers per pump.

I would also have liked to see some form of exploratory mining. More rare materials with interesting uses. Rare gems, ores, metals and compounds

Currently you attain infinity copper/iron/coal and you're set to do whatever. The first field of Iron I started near lasted for an 84 hour game for me.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 20, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
In vanilla, not counting pipe throughput (which usually isn't an issue), the ratios are

13 steam engines to 17 boilers

10 steam engines to 1 pump

So in theory if you wanted to run a "perfect" system you'd have 170 boilers, 130 steam engines, and 13 pumps.

In practice however, 4 boilers to 3 steam engines as a rule of thumb for small builds, or 13 boilers to 10 engines for larger ones, is just fine. (Steam engines do not lose efficiency with less-than-100-degree water, so any setup will convert fuel to electricity at the same rate; the only real concern is real estate. Technically 10 steam engines need ~13.077 boilers, but 13 is fine unless you just want to see the 100's, in which case use 14.

(Look at it this way: Boilers put energy into the water, steam engines take it out again. Boilers have a power rating of 390kW, steam engines have a listed max output of 510kW. Reducing these numbers gets you: boiler power = 13, engine power = 17. For the most part, you can use this same analysis for any modded boilers or engines. For modded pump:engine numbers, you'd have to dig into the definition files for the mod.)

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
0.11! Multiplayer! Gates! Tanks! Spitting biters, I think!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I haven't been paying too much attention, but are they leaving Multiplayer semi-functioning and going back to content, or wasting more time on multi?

I've been waiting on new content to start playing again and gates and a different enemy model aren't really enough to get back at it yet.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think you are going to need to wait until 0.12 for serious content. The roadmap says that version will have a proper endgame.

That said, I enjoy factorio enough that I am still going to give 0.11 a shot. Like you though, I am definitely hungering for new content.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I would much rather they do a ton of work on core engine things like multiplayer early on instead of it being half-assed and hard to implement in a bigger, complex codebase. I can wait for content.

forfeit
Oct 5, 2008
0.11.1 is out, with the test code that caused desyncs every 20 seconds removed: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6298

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Gibbo posted:

I haven't been paying too much attention, but are they leaving Multiplayer semi-functioning and going back to content, or wasting more time on multi?

I've been waiting on new content to start playing again and gates and a different enemy model aren't really enough to get back at it yet.

The only new content I know of in 0.11:

Gates for walls
Tanks
Spitting biters

If you are into modding there's a fair amount of new stuff (events when bots do stuff and write access to fluids are the things I'm interested in).

Also, multiplayer is a lot of fun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can only imagine the chaos that would result from multiple people each with different ideas all working on the same factory.

What I can imagine is glorious :allears:

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Neruz posted:

I can only imagine the chaos that would result from multiple people each with different ideas all working on the same factory.

What I can imagine is glorious :allears:

I played a 4 player game hosted by some streamer today. Sometimes it's kinda fun just to watch other people doing stuff. Surprisingly, there were only a few "you're doing it WRONG" moments.

Then again, after the first "running stuff manually because you don't even have belts" period, we kind of found our own things to do. Our base had two smelting facilities (one half feeding mostly just science packs, the other doing utility components like ammo and transport belts and walls and things. Once we had solar and accumulators, I ran off and made a bunch of radar stations in the wilderness.

The tank is a beast. Especially when you have one person wrecking things with it, and another following behind for light fire support and a giant stack of repair packs to keep the tank... tanking.

Oh, and when you die, you are warped to the origin, and then you have 10 seconds of free floating ghost time until you get respawned (back at the origin). Your inventory (inventory proper, toolbar, armor/weapons/ammo) are just gone.

Unless you're using my Scrap Mod.

ThereWillBeBitcoin
Oct 8, 2013
Hey guys. I'm loving this game. Just picked it up. Trying to play with a friend but we can't seem to get him to connect to me.

I know all about port forwarding and do it regularly for games. Never really have a problem with it.

I've seen a few people other places that say they have a similar problem, but no solution.

I realize the multiplayer just came out, so I guess maybe I'll just have to wait and see if someone comes up with something.

We are both running Windows 8.1 and are using the 0.11.1 release of the game.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be eternally grateful.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
One easily overlooked problem might be mod incompatibility. If (only) one of you bought the Furnace Operator package and thus has the Scenario Pack, which is technically a mod, that might be causing the issue; disable it.

ThereWillBeBitcoin
Oct 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply. We both got the Furnace Operator pack, but I did see something somewhere saying you shouldn't enable mods for online play.

Problem is, I don't see anything other than the base mod (which seems to be required to play) in the mods list. I have the scenarios available.

Is there somewhere else I can disable the scenarios?

Edit: Now that I look at it, I realize I actually only have the freeplay and sandbox custom scenarios. I thought I remembered seeing the ones listed on the site, but I guess not. It's the same for my friend. So now I don't understand why we don't have the scenarios. We did the upgrade account thing...

I also realized that I can't actually start the "new hope" campaign. Both me and my friend get this error: : Unknown key: "Error while running the oninit: ...Data\Roaming\Factorio\temp\currently-playing\control.lua:39: attempt to index field 'wall' (a nil value)"

Edit 2: Tried deleting all of the AppData\Roaming\Factorio\ files and having the game re-generate them. Didn't help.

ThereWillBeBitcoin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Heh, looks like the campaigns broke with 0.11

(Tried it myself, same result.)

The way items are defined and referenced changed a lot in this last update. In general they've been ignoring the campaign stuff, so I don't know how long it'll be before they fix it.

Sorry I couldn't help with the multiplayer thing :/

e:They know and it's going to be fixed.

ThereWillBeBitcoin
Oct 8, 2013
Well I solved the campaign thing actually. You can fix it manually if you want:

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6298&p=49758&hilit=stone+wall#p49758

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The tank is hilariously powerful.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It won't let me put efficiency modules in electric furnaces in the new version. I am hoping it is a bug. It just says the message "__1__ can't be used in __2__"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Filthy Monkey posted:

It won't let me put efficiency modules in electric furnaces in the new version. I am hoping it is a bug. It just says the message "__1__ can't be used in __2__"

That's odd, they work fine for me.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Any one already doing unlicensed updating 0.10.x mods that seem to be abandoned?

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Multiplayer is everything I had hoped for. Horay.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I'm liking multiplayer so far but every single time a biter attacks an object and both of us are near it, or a biter attacks a person, or a biter gets near us sometimes, it just desynchs and breaks.

Right now my save is 'corrupted' because a buddy got bit and desynched, and whenever he tries to connect it immediately throws a desynch error, reconnects, and desynchs again.

I'm not upset at it since it's still brand spankin' new but I don't think I can play with buddies right now.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Wow logistics bots really dumbs things down. I was really proud of my mousetrap-esque network of arms and conveyor belts.

Now it's just. Place a chest where it is and then a chest where it should be and if you have enough if those drone-hives then it gets there and ten times faster too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I just ignore bots, because I don't find them fun. Routing conveyors and trains is more fun, and it looks better IMO.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Truga posted:

I just ignore bots, because I don't find them fun. Routing conveyors and trains is more fun, and it looks better IMO.

What about repair bots? I already have a hundred laser turrets at every little remote oil rig with double thick walls and losses are still incurred every now and then from attacks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably use those if I got to the point of needing them. I never played long enough/built big enough yet, so I'd just go and repair stuff manually once an hour or so.

Which reminds me, now that there's multiplayer I gotta start poking my friends and finally get a big game going.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zephyrine posted:

Now it's just. Place a chest where it is and then a chest where it should be and if you have enough if those drone-hives then it gets there and ten times faster too.

I know isn't it wonderful :allears:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Neruz posted:

I know isn't it wonderful :allears:

I just wish the converybelts weren't capped at such a low speed.

They also have issues with making turns. The cargo on the belt gets stuck and scrapes against structures and it slows the whole thing down.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I haven't seen the cargo getting stuck and scraping on things but the slowdown during turns is just physics in action and is why a lot of people use faster belts on corners (a blue corner on a red straight for example), once you've gotten to the point at which you have all blue belts you're supposed to be transitioning to logistics bots which are the next upgrade from blue belts.

I think some mods introduce even faster belts than blue belts but that seems excessive to me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bots are good for two things: Chopping down forests and delivering things to your inventory.
If you can't leave your factory, build a bunch of things and use up a bunch of materials, then come back to your factory, arms extended in the air, yelling "come to me, my minions!" then you can't play anymore.

Yes I realize I posted something similar to this earlier in the thread.

Thyrork posted:

I always assumed the drones were a solution to item conveying that might be otherwise impossible, because you built your base funny.
But that's, like, too easy.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 2, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I always assumed the drones were a solution to item conveying that might be otherwise impossible, because you built your base funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Drones are basically the final answer to logistics; anything to anywhere without regard for terrain.

They do take a fair chunk of infrastructure to get going though and you need to upgrade their carrying capacity a bit before they really come into their own but once you have a good solid drone swarm going they are so much better than belts for everything except short distance transportation.