Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
How far out are we from having something this size:

e: broken table

wireless/bluetooth that provide excellent audio and good battery life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
So I just got a pair of Ultimate Ears 600vi's yesterday. This is the first time I've ever used IEMs, and I noticed while walking around with them that there's kind of a muted thud sound every time my heel hits the ground when I take a step. I'm not a heavy walker and don't put a lot of pressure down on my heels, so is this just kind of something you have to live with when walking around with IEMs? Seems like it could just be the vibration traveling up the wire maybe? Also not sure if I'm getting a terribly great seal with these. I dunno if that would have anything to do with it

Whodat Smith-Jones fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 31, 2014

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

So I just got a pair of Ultimate Ears 600vi's yesterday. This is the first time I've ever used IEMs, and I noticed while walking around with them that there's kind of a muted thud sound every time my heel hits the ground when I take a step. I'm not a heavy walker and don't put a lot of pressure down on my heels, so is this just kind of something you have to live with when walking around with IEMs? Seems like it could just be the vibration traveling up the wire maybe? Also not sure if I'm getting a terribly great seal with these. I dunno if that would have anything to do with it

100% cable noise.

You can use the clip that came with the headphones to give you some slack. Also wrapping the cord around your ears will help.

I use to use 600vi's daily and they definitely have quite a bit of cable noise… The two above suggestions help a lot, I was usually too lazy to do them though. The 600's are really meant to be wrapped around the ear, I hate how that feels though.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

ddogflex posted:

100% cable noise.

You can use the clip that came with the headphones to give you some slack. Also wrapping the cord around your ears will help.

I use to use 600vi's daily and they definitely have quite a bit of cable noise… The two above suggestions help a lot, I was usually too lazy to do them though. The 600's are really meant to be wrapped around the ear, I hate how that feels though.

Wrapping them around my ears doesn't really help much while walking around, although I'm wondering if maybe the amount of padding/support in my shoes could affect it (I've been wearing 4 year old desert boots, so not a lot there). I like the way they sound when I'm sitting still, but I live in a city and do a lot of walking, so maybe I didn't do my homework well enough and IEMs just aren't the best option for me. But in case anyone knows of a good alternative off the top of their head that are better for walking around...

Budget - $50-100, ideally, but maybe this is unrealistic?
Source - Mostly my iPhone or whatever I replace that with soon and my laptop
Isolation Requirements - Not really, but I'm open to it
Preferred Type of Headphone - I guess IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced is nice, but I think a lot of what I listen to is more mid-high focused
Past Headphones - The ones that come with an iPhone. Also have a pair of Grado SR80s, but that's a different animal
Preferred Music - I hate this question. I listen to a lot of "indie" bands, so I'm all over the place. Straightforward rock, pop, shoegaze, experimental, ambient, noise, country, some hip hop, electronic. I guess I need something that does everything well enough

I guess I should also mention that I picked out the UEs from reading Joker’s multi IEM review in the OP. Just not sure if anything else in the price tier I looked at is considerably better at reducing cable noise. I know he gave the UE 600vi a good rating in that area, but obviously it's an issue for me

Whodat Smith-Jones fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 31, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Red Robin Hood posted:

How far out are we from having something this size:

e: broken table

wireless/bluetooth that provide excellent audio and good battery life?

I suggest placing a stone in your ear and imagining your favorite music, reproduced perfectly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wrapping them around my ears doesn't really help much while walking around, although I'm wondering if maybe the amount of padding/support in my shoes could affect it (I've been wearing 4 year old desert boots, so not a lot there). I like the way they sound when I'm sitting still, but I live in a city and do a lot of walking, so maybe I didn't do my homework well enough and IEMs just aren't the best option for me. But in case anyone knows of a good alternative off the top of their head that are better for walking around...

The thump is from the cable hitting your clothing, not your shoes. Seriously, try wearing them with the cable going up and behind your ears rather than hanging straight down. There are very few IEMs that *don't* have some sort of issue with microphonics, it's just something that happens because of the way they're worn.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

grack posted:

The thump is from the cable hitting your clothing, not your shoes. Seriously, try wearing them with the cable going up and behind your ears rather than hanging straight down. There are very few IEMs that *don't* have some sort of issue with microphonics, it's just something that happens because of the way they're worn.

I wore them with the cable wrapped behind my ears. I used the clip and also held my phone and the cable away from my body so the cable wasn't touching any clothing. Same result. Maybe the answer is just that it's something you have to deal with.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Narmoo S1 is one badass mofo. Bass like vPulse, treble and mids like a higher end IEM. Really good for the price! Awesome soundstage and build quality as well. Highly recommended for bassheads.
[edit] I REALLY like these suckers. Probably one of my favorite IEMs I have ever heard.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 31, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Heads up there's currently a deal on Massdrop for the Manufaktur editions of the DT 880 or 990.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
drat Turquoise looks sexy.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I wore them with the cable wrapped behind my ears. I used the clip and also held my phone and the cable away from my body so the cable wasn't touching any clothing. Same result. Maybe the answer is just that it's something you have to deal with.

That's not from the cable, it's occlusion effect, or bone conduction. The vibrations from walking travel through your body to your ears.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 1, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
More of a rant but I'm pretty unhappy with the Audio-Technica AD700s. My set is only about a year and a half to 2 years old, its been treated very well but last night the thin plastic bands that hold the ear piece to the upper assembly just snapped right off. Looking closer at it this seems like an obvious (or intentional) design flaw. All of the stress when the earcups are pushed out as it sits on your head gets put on this tiny 0.15" sliver of cheap plastic. I paid a good chunk of change for these so I'm pretty pissed off. I can probably jerry rig it together with crazy glue and duct tape but gently caress that. Looking at other sets in the Audio-Technica line I can see similar potential problems, I'm amazed I'm not seeing more negative reviews online.

I ordered a set of Sennheiser HD598s to replace these and won't be going near Audio-Technica poo poo again for awhile.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
That's pretty odd, I've had a pair of AD700s for like 4 years now and I was using them everyday, and they never broke on me. Sorry that happened to you.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I wonder if they changed suppliers for the plastic/PVC mold or if it was just a defect, I see some reviews mentioning the same thing but not many overall. It's just outside of warranty so I'm SOL unfortunately.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
The Ad700 were my "first" pair of real headphones. I owned them for 2-3 years where I put heavy use on them, approximately 3+ hours every day. I eventually bought some Ad900 and gave the Ad700 to my ex. The Ad700 are now 5 years old and the last I heard they were in good shape still. I then bought a new Ad900 which I had for a year and a half before "upgrading" to a used Ad2000. The ad900 received heavy 4+ hour use for the time I had them with no issues. The Ad2000 I had for a little over a year before running into financial issues and had to sell them, they were a year old when I bought them so by the time I sold them they were 2 years old with lots of use.

I now have the A900x and the W1000x, neither of which are getting too much use, admittedly, but I've not had any issues with the build of Audio Technica. Even so, 2 years of daily use for the ~$100 they cost is pretty solid.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 1, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sorry I've been reading the wrong model number here. I have the A700s, the closed ones. They have a slightly different design than the AD700, my bad. The ring for the AD700 runs all the way around the earcup, the one on my A700 only goes part way and the spot where they meet the upper arch gets a lot of pressure put on it. Looking at it now I'm actually amazed it lasted this long, its a lot of force to put on such a slim piece of plastic. The unbroken side of my headphones actually has a stress fracture there too in the exact same spot.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Righty, so I guess my question of which IEMs to get was a bit broad ... can you guys tell me which of the review sites in the OP is the most up to date for IEMs?

There was a great site that basically listed the best ones in each price bracket for a particular sound signature (which was how I picked my last set) but it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

More of a rant but I'm pretty unhappy with the Audio-Technica AD700s. My set is only about a year and a half to 2 years old, its been treated very well but last night the thin plastic bands that hold the ear piece to the upper assembly just snapped right off. Looking closer at it this seems like an obvious (or intentional) design flaw. All of the stress when the earcups are pushed out as it sits on your head gets put on this tiny 0.15" sliver of cheap plastic. I paid a good chunk of change for these so I'm pretty pissed off. I can probably jerry rig it together with crazy glue and duct tape but gently caress that. Looking at other sets in the Audio-Technica line I can see similar potential problems, I'm amazed I'm not seeing more negative reviews online.

I ordered a set of Sennheiser HD598s to replace these and won't be going near Audio-Technica poo poo again for awhile.
Sorry about the AD700s, but you'll be very happy with your Sennheisers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

landofcake posted:

Righty, so I guess my question of which IEMs to get was a bit broad ... can you guys tell me which of the review sites in the OP is the most up to date for IEMs?

There was a great site that basically listed the best ones in each price bracket for a particular sound signature (which was how I picked my last set) but it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while.

Theheadphonelist.com

No one on this earth has more experience with IEMs than joker. Not that I know of.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I moved to a new apartment recently that apparently has razor thin walls that do nothing to stop noise. I'd like a pair of headphones that I can use while gaming that will both insulate me from crying babies and also insulate the people in my building (including the crying babies) from me playing videogames. My budget would be around $150-300. Guess I'd be plugging them into my PC (which doesn't have a dedicated sound card if that matters)? I also guess I'm looking for full size either Supa-Aural or Circumaural. I have no experience with headphones other than the ones that come with Apple products. I tried looking through some of the resources in the OP but was quickly overwhelmed.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 4, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

I moved to a new apartment recently that apparently has razor thin walls that do nothing to stop noise. I'd like a pair of headphones that I can use while gaming that will both insulate me from crying babies and also insulate the people in my building (including the crying babies) from me playing videogames. My budget would be around $150-300. Guess I'd be plugging them into my PC (which doesn't have a dedicated sound card if that matters)? I also guess I'm looking for full size either Supa-Aural or Circumaural. I have no experience with headphones other than the ones that come with Apple products. I tried looking through some of the resources in the OP but was quickly overwhelmed.
Sony MDR-V6 or 7506 (they're the same) would be a good reference headphone to start with. It's circumaurual and under $100. It's neutral, so if you want something bass-heavy, it won't be the right choice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

NVX XPT100 regularly go for under $100 on SonicElectronix. They're my favorite closed headphone under $100. If you want to go higher, something like the Mad Dogs or Audio Technica A900x are worth considering.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ordered a set of HD598s today :dance:

Really looking forward to them. I've enjoyed Sennheisers in the past but this would be the nicest set I've owned this far.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So far so good on my Sennheiser HD598s. The build quality on these is a noticeable step up from the Audio-Technica headphones I came from, hopefully they last longer. The performance is noticeably better as well in every respect except bass.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Sony MDR-V6 or 7506 (they're the same) would be a good reference headphone to start with. It's circumaurual and under $100. It's neutral, so if you want something bass-heavy, it won't be the right choice.

Midorka posted:

NVX XPT100 regularly go for under $100 on SonicElectronix. They're my favorite closed headphone under $100. If you want to go higher, something like the Mad Dogs or Audio Technica A900x are worth considering.

Thanks for the suggestions, I like all of these.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Janissary Hop posted:

Here are some options in closed, over/around the ear headphones under $300
sony mdr v6/v7506 ~$100- a bit treble heavy
audio technica ath m50 ~$150- a bit bass heavy, comfy
vmoda m100 $300- mids are a bit recessed, built like a tank, look cool

If you dont care what they look like and dont plan to abuse them, the ath m50 is a great buy. Someone mentioned the mad dogs, which are decent but aren't as good as the m100s at the same price, plus the mad dog is lacklustre without an amp afaik. the a900x is probably more comfortable than the m50, but also has less bass.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I like all of these.

As someone who's used all of the headphones being recommended, none of them really hold a candle to the XPT100. The XPT100/HM5 are basically closed budget Sennheiser HD600 and I'm not the only one who thinks that. They share a lot of characteristics of each other and the HM5/XPT100 make all other budget balanced options look like inferior products imo.

Edit: The Sony's mentioned come off as shrill with lacking in low-end, the highs are grainy and I find that these really aren't very good for listening to music. I see them used in studios a lot and I can only imagine it's because they are built to last, are cheap, and in their day there were pretty much all that was readily available for closed cans, people hate change. They've been outshined now.

The XPT100/HM5 have a slightly warm leaning neutral sound that has the sound stage reminiscent of an open headphone. They come with an extra cable and an extra set of pads. Sound quality to price ratio is honestly unmatched for closed headphones in the $100 range.

Audio Technica M50 I think sound like garbage. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for any reason. The bass is overemphasized, mids are too recessed, and the highs are shrill. They clamp heavily when new and are built to last, but the sound presentation is incredibly narrow. There's no sense of width or depth to the sound, all of the noise hits at once. It's congested, loud, and confusing to listen to.

I know nothing about the M-100 so I can't begin to comment.

The A900x are slightly bassy and energetic headphones. They fit a bit loose, but music is a joy to listen to on them. I heard them at Best Buy and finally got a trade going for them. They happily hang on my wall next to my W1000x.

Mad Dogs are incredibly detailed and the most balanced/clean sounding headphone listed here. If you want a balanced and detailed sound, go with these.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 4, 2014

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Would these be fine for gaming? Especially a really sound intensive game, like Counter-strike? I have heard this is a great company, but I'm not sure about the model. It seems like a pretty exceptional deal as well.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I haven't heard any of the HM5-alikes, but it looks like I should. Are you familiar with the nad viso hp50 or the focal spirit pro? They're close in price to the mad dog, and are supposed to perform better.

10bux posted:

Would these be fine for gaming? Especially a really sound intensive game, like Counter-strike? I have heard this is a great company, but I'm not sure about the model. It seems like a pretty exceptional deal as well.

audio technica is indeed a good company, but they have better offerings, like the a700

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

absolem posted:

I haven't heard any of the HM5-alikes, but it looks like I should. Are you familiar with the nad viso hp50 or the focal spirit pro? They're close in price to the mad dog, and are supposed to perform better.

audio technica is indeed a good company, but they have better offerings, like the a700

I have only heard great things about the NAD and the Spirit Pro, I'm going to try to get my hands on them actually.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
ATH-M50x is going for 120 dollars at massdrop!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
A friend of mine needs a new head-set. They're not exactly King Dollar, so their standards are low. What's the best low-budget headset with a microphone, where 'low budget' is ~$35?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Can someone recommend some clip on headphones like this that I would primarily use for listening to the radio and podcasts from a ml3 player while sleeping?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003DKL56W

I've tried ear buds and I'm not a fan of how they feel. As long as they are cheap and can make human speech sound listenable, I don't care about much else, just want to see if anyone has anything they like

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Drunk Badger posted:

Can someone recommend some clip on headphones like this that I would primarily use for listening to the radio and podcasts from a ml3 player while sleeping?

I've tried ear buds and I'm not a fan of how they feel. As long as they are cheap and can make human speech sound listenable, I don't care about much else, just want to see if anyone has anything they like

These are cheap and widely recommended http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415276471&sr=8-2&keywords=koss

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have been using those headphones for years. They're pretty amazing for less than $20. The clips can be annoying but you can mess with them to better fit your ears.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

Why headphones and not a pillow speaker? My mother-in-law got a cheap one for just such a purpose a few years back and loved it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What are the best IMEs for around $100 nowadays? A friend of mine is looking for some to replace his endless chain of lovely earbuds and I was gonna recommend ER4 that I have but they're still like almost $300 and he'd probably also find detachable cables useful (though I never had a problem with mine).

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Why headphones and not a pillow speaker? My mother-in-law got a cheap one for just such a purpose a few years back and loved it.

I'll be using them for things like listening to conferences and meetings at work where I probably shouldn't be using a pillow. Not a bad idea though for my main use, but I imagine a pair of headphones will also be cheaper

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

What are the best IMEs for around $100 nowadays? A friend of mine is looking for some to replace his endless chain of lovely earbuds and I was gonna recommend ER4 that I have but they're still like almost $300 and he'd probably also find detachable cables useful (though I never had a problem with mine).
Here's a pretty good list, sort by price and start looking at the reviews in your price range. "Best" is so subjective, it's hard to recommend one without knowing what sound signature they prefer. A basshead probably wouldn't like the Ety house sound too much, though if they do like that sound, then the Hifi Man RE-400 or Etymotic HF5 would be pretty good ones.

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Or, if you're lazy:

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/