Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I have an anecdotal story about the 360 battery life. I took my 360 off the charger at 5:30am yesterday before work and as of this post it's at 22%. So it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I had to charge my drat phone three times yesterday for reference.

Final battery level before it got onto the charger at 10am was 6%. I doubt anyone cares but the battery isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true. The 360 makes major sacrifices in usability (ie screen turning completely off almost immediately) to barely get through the day for most people. If it worked like yours I would be more happy with it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Behold the Microsoft wearable:

With the same idiotic screen as the Gear Fit, is there anyone on earth that can comfortably hold their hand to make a screen like that usable in landscape? Jesus.

Buying one! Cross platform and $199 seems like a good setup.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Three Olives posted:

With the same idiotic screen as the Gear Fit, is there anyone on earth that can comfortably hold their hand to make a screen like that usable in landscape? Jesus.

How do you look at that thing?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I really love my Fitbit Force and I was looking forward to replacing it with a Surge, but now I'm thinking I might want this stupid, stupidly named thing instead.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Three Olives posted:

I like the Gear Fit :saddowns:

Skywalker OG posted:

How do you look at that thing?
This and the gear fit display best on the inside of your wrist IMO.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true. The 360 makes major sacrifices in usability (ie screen turning completely off almost immediately) to barely get through the day for most people. If it worked like yours I would be more happy with it.
I run mine in Ambient mode and I never have to even think about the battery, it finishes every day (~16-18 hours) on 30-35%% :shrug: .

The battery is objectively worse than the other Wear devices out there but it's also fine to get through a day. If you want to make heavy use of watch apps then that may not be true but for checking the time and notifications it's perfectly good.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tunga posted:

I run mine in Ambient mode and I never have to even think about the battery, it finishes every day (~16-18 hours) on 30-35%% :shrug: .

The battery is objectively worse than the other Wear devices out there but it's also fine to get through a day. If you want to make heavy use of watch apps then that may not be true but for checking the time and notifications it's perfectly good.

Agreeing with this, especially with the latest update. avg 35-52% when i put it on the charger at night so far.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nthalp posted:

Agreeing with this, especially with the latest update. avg 35-52% when i put it on the charger at night so far.

Yeah even on a regular day (5:30a to about 7 or 8) I still end the day in the 20% range. I don't know what the settings on other peoples watches are that they have to baby them so much.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In other Moto 360 news:

http://phandroid.com/2014/10/29/gold-moto-360-amazon/

Amazon posted two gold models (one with a thinner strap), a silver model with a brown strap, and the previously announced official metal straps. And then they all disappeared again.

What happened to the original metal straps that Moto showed off on the first renders, those were really nice :( .

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 30, 2014

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Chasiubao posted:

I really love my Fitbit Force and I was looking forward to replacing it with a Surge, but now I'm thinking I might want this stupid, stupidly named thing instead.

I have a flex and I'm also considering swapping it out for this. The amount of sensors built in, along with the continuous HR monitor plus built in GPS? With compatibility for iOS, Android as well? I'm impressed Microsoft.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Vintimus Prime posted:

I have a flex and I'm also considering swapping it out for this. The amount of sensors built in, along with the continuous HR monitor plus built in GPS? With compatibility for iOS, Android as well? I'm impressed Microsoft.

It has IOS compatibility with its own MS health app, but do we know if it will interface with the apple health app too?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Vintimus Prime posted:

I was thinking of going with the Garmin Vivosmart myself (which has support with Apple HealthKit), but now I am only a few reviews away from buying this product instead! I too love all of the sensors, plus I read that it can push Twitter updates so I can jog and read the news at the same time! Nothing beats living in the future.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Reverse Centaur posted:

I get easily over 24 hours on my 360 on a charge...

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just ordered the Microsoft Band - will post pictures when it's here...

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

Just ordered the Microsoft Band - will post pictures when it's here...

Which os are you using? You'll definitely have to come back and give us your thoughts after using it a bit!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
I'm on a Nokia Lumia 1020 running DP 8.1.1

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The Verge has a first look with the Microsoft Band paired with an iPhone 6: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/30/7132901/wearing-the-microsoft-band-is-this-the-next-big-thing-in-fitness

These kinds of things always made more sense to me on the underside anyway, I guess I'd just be worried about whether it actually gets the battery life claimed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The Verge has a first look with the Microsoft Band paired with an iPhone 6: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/30/7132901/wearing-the-microsoft-band-is-this-the-next-big-thing-in-fitness

These kinds of things always made more sense to me on the underside anyway, I guess I'd just be worried about whether it actually gets the battery life claimed.

I wonder if the heartrate thing works when you're wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For those who still use Pebble, the android app rewrite is in beta and you can get it by signing up for the beta channel here:

https://developer.getpebble.com/blog/2014/06/12/Android-Beta-Channel/

-This version of the Pebble Android app has been re-written from the ground up to be more reliable and give a better user experience
-Notifications are now available from all apps. You should now disable Pebble Notifier or similar apps
-The new Notifications menu includes an All Apps option, where you can selection to receive notifications from any app on your device
-Some popular apps are selected by default
-Some apps in this list will be disabled if you have enabled built-in notifications (e.g. Gmail or calendar) to avoid generating duplicate notifications
-Remember to enable Pebble in the Android notification settings! You'll be prompted in the Pebble navigation drawer menu if you haven't done this
-In-progress phone calls can now be ended from your watch

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thermopyle posted:

I wonder if the heartrate thing works when you're wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist.
It should presumably work against any patch of skin. Arm hair might be a factor though.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I went to a Microsoft Store today to get my hands on a Band. It's very bulky in some places, unlike my current Force. Granted it's doing much, much more, but it's still something to get used to. One problem for people like me with child-like wrists is that the screen is just long enough that the Band doesn't lay fully flat against my wrist. I tried it with the screen on the outside and the inside, and HR monitoring works fine with the screen on the inside.

I'll probably pick it up: the screen on the Surge looks kinda cheap and old compared to one that can do colours.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

mango sentinel posted:

It should presumably work against any patch of skin. Arm hair might be a factor though.

If you look at this presentation video from Microsoft, it seems that most of the people in it, is wearing it with the display on the inside of their wrists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEvjulEJH9w

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
God, watching all these reviews of the Band I see much too much of horrible arms and gross fingers and chewed nails. Small skinny child wrists, huge flabby potato wrists, callouses, hangnails, cuticles. Too close, a watershed in internet grossness.

That said I've ordered a Band - I hope it's not too clunky! I already have a watch on my left wrist, and bangles and such on my right. The right will get annoying while using a mouse but that's not really the sporty effort this thing is expecting so yes who knows.

Looking forward to tracking my sleep patterns and heart rate as I wake up screaming!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

If you look at this presentation video from Microsoft, it seems that most of the people in it, is wearing it with the display on the inside of their wrists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEvjulEJH9w

I can attest, having tried it on, that it will pick up your HR even when the display is on the inside of your wrist.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I wonder if the fact that even Microsoft has gotten GPS into their fitness band, will Apple include GPS in rev 1 of Apple Watch or are they too far along. Minus Cortana, it looks like it integrates well with iOS and Android, though the jury is still out with the Health program and Google fit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vintimus Prime posted:

I wonder if the fact that even Microsoft has gotten GPS into their fitness band, will Apple include GPS in rev 1 of Apple Watch or are they too far along. Minus Cortana, it looks like it integrates well with iOS and Android, though the jury is still out with the Health program and Google fit.

I have a hard time getting on board with Google fit, considering they've already launched and then shuttered one health tracking platform in the past, and it's only going to work with Android.

Healthvault has been slurping up all my health data for years across a variety of platforms & devices.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Went to the Microsoft Store today to burn some gift cards on the new band, and of course they are all out. The employees had perma-grins on their face and the place was swarming with people looking for the new band. It felt...weird...seeing that many people in the store (which is usually dead).

Finally, they have a product that's OOS and in high demand. After trying one on, however, it felt like a stiff dog collar on my wrist. Not sure I'm interested any longer, but GPS is a good addition.

Guess Redmond is popping champagne this weekend. They got a runner on their hands if eBay $350+ scalpers are any indication...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

The HP Smartwatch starting at only $350. It's better looking than the Pebble Steel but with way less functionality. I say Pebble Steel because it has iOS compatibility which is big for a new smart watch but at that price it is going to get murdered by the Apple Watch so eh, try again HP.

Actually, I take that back, Pebble owns the iOS smartwatch space now and with a solid development community and hardware I think it would be very difficult at this point to undercut them with the Apple Watch taking all of the higher end for obvious reasons so just give up unless you are going to license Google Wear or Pebble OS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Pebble is about 50% overpriced even at $150 or whatever it costs. There's some room there.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Aphrodite posted:

The Pebble is about 50% overpriced even at $150 or whatever it costs. There's some room there.

It's $99 now for the plastic. I use my Wear as my daily watch, Pebble for working out and when I occasionally forget to charge it (i.e. pass out drunk) and to be honest if I was still on iOS I would be completely happy with the Pebble, it's a solid, solid watch for $99 that keeps getting better, I honestly can recommend it enough even just as a backup watch for your Apple Watch.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Band doesn't have a Windows 8.1 metro app. That is dumb.

Also free 2 day shipping loses its luster when they don't ship the thing for 3 days. I doubt that my Band is headed out this weekend.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 1, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

...I would be completely happy with the Pebble, it's a solid, solid watch for $99 that keeps getting better, I honestly can recommend it enough even just as a backup watch for your Apple Watch.

And the pebble steel is just superlative. Battery life and basic notifications functionality is what I'm looking for right now and no one does it better than pebble.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Subterfrugal posted:

The Band doesn't have a Windows 8.1 metro app. That is dumb.

Also free 2 day shipping loses its luster when they don't ship the thing for 3 days. I doubt that my Band is headed out this weekend.

Yeah, ordering first thing on Thursday morning and not delivered until Monday? Launches need to be more immediate.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just tried on the band in store and holy poo poo is it uncomfortable. It didn't seem to confirm to wrists well and restrains a kind of boxy shape.

Seems pretty slick function wise though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have the fitness band paired with a Window's Phone? When you give an instruction via Cortana does it activate the phone's screen?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

It seems like a great feature to add in v2.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Reverse Centaur posted:

Ummmm I have another one

I just realized this face said I was 71 metres above sea level while literally on the Pacific Ocean.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's just using a different geodetic system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ohgodwhat posted:

It's just using a different geodetic system!

Yeah and it does ask for a reference elevation when you first choose the face. I guess I dramatically overestimated how far up the hill I was. RIP me next tsunami.