Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MJP posted:

Not a bad idea to get an HG or two or three before taking the plunge to an MG.

When learning the basics I, erased panel lines, un-rounded pieces, rounded pieces, sanded before putting together assembles creating off looking pieces, over sanded, stressed parts while holding them while sanding, snipped to much off with snipers, gouged into the plastic with an x acto while shaving, metal file sanding armageddon(metal files sand really loving good, aka too loving good), and there is probability some more stuff I did while practicing on HG kits. Just started my first MG last night and only completed the foot. I have high hopes for the jump up in size and in detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of metal files, these are the ones you want - they feel like around 400-600 grit and do a HEEEEELL of a job better than the set I got at Amazon. You'll want to use finer grits to clean up, but if you're gonna do basic sanding, start with these: http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/files/12-piece-needle-file-set-468.html

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have the tamiya ones, they can sand really loving good.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Tenzarin posted:

I have the tamiya ones, they can sand really loving good.

Same here. They can also be used as saws. :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Well since everyone else is doing it

ADDITIONAL BACKLOG CAME IN YESSSS

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

The Red Frame Kai is literally the original Red Frame with a different backpack and no beam rifle.

Like, the exclusive? These are the only new runners.

I know, but I'm a really big fan of the backpack and I think the sword/bow thing is incredibly dumb, so...

I also have basically no income and I can only build like two HGs a year and I've only built two MGs ever so I don't want to buy a version of the kit that's just gonna remind me that it's not the real version every time I look at it. Like the Proto Zero.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Son Ryo posted:

I know, but I'm a really big fan of the backpack and I think the sword/bow thing is incredibly dumb, so...

I also have basically no income and I can only build like two HGs a year and I've only built two MGs ever so I don't want to buy a version of the kit that's just gonna remind me that it's not the real version every time I look at it. Like the Proto Zero.

Proto Zero is totally the "real version" of the Wing Zero and I will not hear anyone say otherwise!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so the clips that hold the rg exia's shoulderpads to it seems kinda crappy. one of the ones on my astraea is loose and has stress marks. anyone else have that problem?

also, what the heck is this ultraman: http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-3/bandai-%E7%99%BC%E5%94%AE%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AA%E5%AE%9A-ultra-act-ultraman/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The ball joints that holds the Masurao's legs on are an absolute pile of dicks. As soon as you touch the knees to pose them, pop, leg has fallen off again.

It seems my main preference for designs seems to be 00 UN forces. My next planned purchase is the GN-X.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The ball joints that holds the Masurao's legs on are an absolute pile of dicks. As soon as you touch the knees to pose them, pop, leg has fallen off again.

It seems my main preference for designs seems to be 00 UN forces. My next planned purchase is the GN-X.

gn-x is great, its more like a standard UC gundam + it can light up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think hijo dels lemonade is going to get the hg00 one, not the MG, which is what hojo lemonade should get, as i also want one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

muike posted:

so the clips that hold the rg exia's shoulderpads to it seems kinda crappy. one of the ones on my astraea is loose and has stress marks. anyone else have that problem?

also, what the heck is this ultraman: http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-3/bandai-%E7%99%BC%E5%94%AE%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AA%E5%AE%9A-ultra-act-ultraman/

I had no problems with the RG Exia that didn't involve trying to slide one of the clear bits underneath the lip of a piece of armor.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

gn-x is great, its more like a standard UC gundam + it can light up

muike posted:

i think hijo dels lemonade is going to get the hg00 one, not the MG, which is what hojo lemonade should get, as i also want one.

Yeah, it was just the HG00 one I was planning on getting. I've only made 3 gunpla so far, I should probably stick with HG for now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
honestly you can go onto master grade whenever you want, unless it's a famously finnicky one like the ex-s or soemething. they're not any more difficult, just more time consuming.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

In that case, I might consider it. My main complaint about HG is that, since I enjoy the assembling part a lot, they're over too quick :allears:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Yeah, dude. Well over a decade ago, I went straight from a couple of the old Wing kits to a PG Mk II. It turned out just fine until it fell off that shelf. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

In that case, I might consider it. My main complaint about HG is that, since I enjoy the assembling part a lot, they're over too quick :allears:

Give it a shot then. Plus, the GN-X MG may be slightly easier to find right now, unless amazon has the HG

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

muike posted:

Give it a shot then. Plus, the GN-X MG may be slightly easier to find right now, unless amazon has the HG

Amazon has both. The MG is £39, which isn't too bad for an MG it seems.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Amazon has both. The MG is £39, which isn't too bad for an MG it seems.

Just gonna warn you now: MG GN-X can't stand for poo poo, so get an action base.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Just gonna warn you now: MG GN-X can't stand for poo poo, so get an action base.

Well, in a happy coincidence, like I posted a few pages back, I accidentally bought a 1/100 action base, not realizing bases came in different scales.

So I'm good on that front :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I actually have a spare base I use for holding the frame while I take individual pieces off to attach the armor. It frees up desk space, it gets some of the runners out of my way faster, and it lets me show off my progress! I need to get an AB2 for doing HG kits next.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

And the build of the main body is done. Just six accessories to go and this expensive as gently caress project will be done.

There are a lot of ways to fix up Destroy Mode's legs, but I went for the fastest (and ugliest): trim off the excess.

You can't really tell the difference without a side-by-side view though, and I've already locked my other MG Unicorn into place. So here's dalong's pics of HG and MG Unicorn.

Even with its legs cut Destroy Mode still towers over Unicorn Mode. I had to take the FA backpack off for this shot because I couldn't get FA Unicorn to stand up straight for the life of me.

These god drat things can't do anything on the ground, this is the last time I'm ever posing them off their ABs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I broke down and got Prime. I'm hosed.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

R.I.P. in a fully customizable plastic coffin, with additional compartment holds and back booster shipped via prime.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

you should probably make a budget instead of joking about your terrible impulse control with a bunch of other addicts.

At least you arent hoarding unbuilt kits like most of us

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

you should probably make a budget instead of joking about your terrible impulse control with a bunch of other addicts.

At least you arent hoarding unbuilt kits like most of us

I have no kits because I build quickly and don't paint/topcoat/glue/etc, just clip, sand, and assemble. I'm the only person here without a backlog. Everything I've bought, I've posted about and finished assembling. I still have like, extra hands to do for Exia, Build Burning, and 00 Raiser, but that's it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah Dickeye, your impulse control sucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

signalnoise posted:

Yeah Dickeye, your impulse control sucks

Look who's talking Mr Bad Taste In Robots.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

muike posted:

I have that problem, in fact my RG GP01's clips broke, so I had to (attempt) to glue the clips back. Pretty sure it's just plastic stress, which means that you shouldn't be taking the shoulders off.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ahaha oh my god,

they actually made a Goldion Hammer accessory. :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Ahaha oh my god,

they actually made a Goldion Hammer accessory. :allears:

Goldion Crusher. Also, I find it highly unlikely that will be sold to consumers. It might be a similar issue where when they were displaying the SRC figures they had a scale-accurate J-Ark/King J-Der to go with it.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
After the Hi-Nu in Nu Colors project, decided to go back and do something simple.

This build went by a lot quicker. Also for the hell of it, I painted the parts revealed for Super Mode in gold so they pop better. I think the result worked.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I just finished one leg of this MG and the way it is designed is just crazy detailed compared to the HGs. And it took me 3 hours :cry:.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I just built my first kit today :toot:

I made the mistake of being swayed by my favorite suit, and got the RG version of the MK-II Titans Colors.

How could I resist though, the box is so pretty.

Those things are probably the spawn of the devil and I hope I don't build any kits in the future with them.

The end result, some noticieable issues but I think I did pretty well for lacking pretty much every tool required for assembly. (My clippers suck rear end and the exacto knife I got has double sided blades so it was a pain)

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

posethatrobot.com

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The only other kits I can think of that require you to cut out wire are the MG FA ZZ/FAZZ and the BuCUE Kerberos. Nowadays Bandai just provides the proper length.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MG Gundam Mk II 2.0 required wire cutting, it was a pain in the rear end, and I'm pretty sure it's not really visible parts that require it.

EDIT: Kinda visible, it's the inside of the knees.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

mostly finished my F91 last night, just need to build the weapons.

Real fun kit, very small parts.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

muike posted:

As an owner of an MG GN-X gently caress those pontoon thruster things. Also getting the GN tau drive out is a huge hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I might just get the 1/144. I've only got one shelf of room for gunpla, and all the rest are 1/144, so it'll fit in a bit better.

Or at least, if I do get a 1/100, I want it to be a big centerpiece model.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 1, 2014

• Locked thread