Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm still holding out hope that The Lopen turns out to be the hero of the whole goddamn thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Sanderson has said that the second half of the series would follow different characters. You may get your wish.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grundulum posted:

Sanderson has said that the second half of the series would follow different characters. You may get your wish.

If some/all of the interlude characters don't end up as main characters in the later books I'd be surprised. Especially since at least one of them appears to be of a different order than any of the people around Kaladin.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If some/all of the interlude characters don't end up as main characters in the later books I'd be surprised. Especially since at least one of them appears to be of a different order than any of the people around Kaladin.

I think Lift and Renarin are each going to be the focus of one of the Second Set books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From what I've heard, Brandon's considering

Lift, Renarin, Rysn, Jasnah, maybe Kaladin, and maybe Taln

but isn't totally fixed on them yet.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

From what I've heard, Brandon's considering

Lift, Renarin, Rysn, Jasnah, maybe Kaladin, and maybe Taln

but isn't totally fixed on them yet.

Eshonai (sp?) as well i think? or was she going to be in the first five... I remember something about that from the signing I went to.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Eshonai (sp?) as well i think? or was she going to be in the first five... I remember something about that from the signing I went to.

IIRC, she'll be a regular POV character in the next book, and the primary POV character in the book after, but I could be misremembering.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

senae posted:

IIRC, she'll be a regular POV character in the next book, and the primary POV character in the book after, but I could be misremembering.

Just checked the wiki, and it looks like you are spot on with this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So Eshonai is basically Marsh, right?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm thinking about checking out Elantris? Any good? It's been a little rough reading his pre-Stormlight stuff.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm thinking about checking out Elantris? Any good? It's been a little rough reading his pre-Stormlight stuff.

I enjoyed it, but I'm really really not picky. It's definitely weaker than his other stuff, but I would recommend giving it a try.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's obviously his first book, and the first third is REALLY slow. But the avalanche at the end is terrific fun.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Elantris is all right, but it's the roughest that reading Sanderson gets (excepting his unpublished books). He sticks to a strict POV rotation between his characters, where each chapter is told from the POV of the next in line which... doesn't work. If he was writing it now it might be better, but the three characters are basically "talentless privileged Vin", "really dull Elend (but with some neat magic)" and "battle-monk Sazed".

It's not the worst book in the world, but don't go expecting it to be as good as his other novels.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

senae posted:

Elantris is all right, but it's the roughest that reading Sanderson gets (excepting his unpublished books). He sticks to a strict POV rotation between his characters, where each chapter is told from the POV of the next in line which... doesn't work. If he was writing it now it might be better, but the three characters are basically "talentless privileged Vin", "really dull Elend (but with some neat magic)" and "battle-monk Sazed".

It's not the worst book in the world, but don't go expecting it to be as good as his other novels.

Hrathren is loving awesome. Everyone else is really hit or miss.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey sule, don't forget about Galladon, kolo?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hrathen is written like a more aggressive Mormon missionary from the early days of the church.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'll second this. I didn't really appreciate him until near the end of the book and when I look back only Hrathen and Galladon stand out in my mind.

Sort of general cosmos spoiler: Plus doesn't Galladon make an appearance in Stormlight Archives in an interlude?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I rather liked the male protagonist of the three in Elantris, but I'm a sucker for stories about hope in a hopeless place. I devour that kind of story. I guess it's one of the reasons I like Sanderson in the first place.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Yarrbossa posted:

Sort of general cosmos spoiler: Plus doesn't Galladon make an appearance in Stormlight Archives in an interlude?
Yeah he's one of the dudes wandering around the Purelake, I think looking for Hoid/Wit.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I just want to say that the use of the word "cologne" in a fantasy work in which there is no Germany is the sort of thing that would make a philologist like Tolkien spit his pipe out.

Otherwise, Words of Radiance was excellent.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Umbra Dubium posted:

I just want to say that the use of the word "cologne" in a fantasy work in which there is no Germany is the sort of thing that would make a philologist like Tolkien spit his pipe out.

Otherwise, Words of Radiance was excellent.

Yeah, he should have made up a word with a bunch of extra apostrophes and accents to show how different the word (not the meaning, just the word) is on Roshar. I mean, sure, every word we use has origins in older language, but the ones that are explicitly, you know, from older languages should have references to the language appendix and be meaningless outside that context.

This is one of the more bizarre criticisms I hear pop up every once in a while, and only in the context of sci fi and fantasy. Showing alien language is just so pointless and silly if all you're doing is creating a made up fantasy English. Contrast with Orwell and Newspeak, which actually had relevance to what he was trying to say, and the dumb Tolkien-esque fantasy obsession with made up words is just pointless window dressing. Bakkar and the Malazan books are the worst about this.

Velius fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2014

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's the heritage of having a linguist like Tolkien writing the genre-defining book. He started by writing the history of the various languages before even writing the history of the world, just to make sure his characters communicated realistically enough for him. Everyone else tried to mimic him, even if they didn't have a background in languages.

That said, cologne can be jarring. What if a writer used "Parisian" as an adjective, or talked about Parmesan cheese? Some things are closely tied to the cities that created them, so referring to them necessarily reminds readers of those earth cities and can ruin the suspension of disbelief.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

It's a magic book, it takes an outlandish language you won't understand and translates it to something you understand.

Like the TARDIS.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wit even makes a point about how they call Axe-Hounds Hounds despite not knowing what a hound actually is, there is some history to their language they don't know about.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

socialsecurity posted:

Wit even makes a point about how they call Axe-Hounds Hounds despite not knowing what a hound actually is, there is some history to their language they don't know about.

I don't know if it's a full plot point, but it's obvious that humans aren't native to Roshar. I remember something about horses as well. Pretty much anything that is from Shin is suspect as well.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Meanwhile, I find the characters that use contemporary English expressions to be far more jarring. Like that character that used the word "awesome" constantly. That was so bad that when the preview chapter was posted, I was sure it was an early draft and the language would be fixed later.

There's a balance between "talks in a ridiculous made-up language" and "talks like a 15 year old kid from Nebraska".

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 1, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The phrase Awesome means something that implies Awe. Wonder.

I wont judge you for what breaks the fantasy, but keep an open mind. Its hardly: "Talks like a 15 year old kid from Nebraska." ;)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Thyrork posted:

The phrase Awesome means something that implies Awe. Wonder.

I wont judge you for what breaks the fantasy, but keep an open mind. Its hardly: "Talks like a 15 year old kid from Nebraska." ;)

There's a world of difference between the classic usage of the word ("those mountains are awesome" -- indicating that they are awe-inspiring) and the colloquial, hyperbolic American English usage ("I'm awesome, I do awesome things, time to be awesome!"). The latter is how it was used in the book.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Meanwhile, I find the characters that use contemporary English expressions to be far more jarring. Like that character that used the word "awesome" constantly. That was so bad that when the preview chapter was posted, I was sure it was an early draft and the language would be fixed later.

There's a balance between "talks in a ridiculous made-up language" and "talks like a 15 year old kid from Nebraska".

No she was saying something non-English because it is a fantasy universe with no Earth and isolated planets except for a handful of intrepid explorers. The odds that it spontaneously evolved a language exactly the same as English (and exactly the same as the mistborn planet and every single other planet in the cosmere) are astronomical.

The author helpfully translated it to the nearest Earth English equivalent.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My only issue with the language in WoR was that I expected a "higher" manner of speaking from the light eyes. It was a minor distraction, but Sanderson isn't a linguist.

I'll take modern English words over terrible made up languages (Tolkien was amazing, everything since is a pale imitation) any day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xachariah posted:

No she was saying something non-English because it is a fantasy universe with no Earth and isolated planets except for a handful of intrepid explorers. The odds that it spontaneously evolved a language exactly the same as English (and exactly the same as the mistborn planet and every single other planet in the cosmere) are astronomical.

Ok but Lift is literally the worst character in the history of fiction. I am so depressed that we have to read her as a POV character in later books.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

nucleicmaxid posted:

Ok but Lift is literally the worst character in the history of fiction. I am so depressed that we have to read her as a POV character in later books.

You're wrong and dumb

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xachariah posted:

Including the third-person narrative?

quote:

Her stomach grumbled. When had she last eaten? She’d used a lot of her awesomeness practicing earlier. She probably should have stolen something to eat. She wasn’t quite so awesome when she was hungry.

quote:

The vines grew super-fast, curling about one another in a tangle that formed a face.

And so on.

[edit]
I get what he was going for here, it just doesn't work for me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

You're wrong and dumb

I am objectively correct, sorry bro.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

nucleicmaxid posted:

I am objectively correct, sorry bro.

Wrong again.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rumda posted:

Wrong again.

Nope.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

She's not the worst but if I wanted to read about a character powered by 'awesome' I'd read a NaNoWriMo entry.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

She's not the worst but if I wanted to read about a character powered by 'awesome' I'd read a NaNoWriMo entry.

Yeah, in the end that's what it is. It goes from decent-ish writing into suddenly writing that could've been done by a 17 year old writing their first NaNoWriMo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sanderson's early drafts definitely look a lot like Nanowrimo stories--he's said more than once he always writes Nanowrimo style and blazes through a first draft and then gets to work.

I think there's something important there and that's why he and the others have harped on it more than once on Writing Excuses: a lot of aspiring writers complain about variants on writer's block, but if this is really a frequent problem for you then you aren't going to make it as a writer. Writing out the story is the easy part. The real work is turning the story into something anyone would want to read, after it's all written out.

I mean that's kind of the entire point of Nanowrimo, but that just demonstrates how most people that want to think of themselves as writers will never get anywhere with it, because they lack the skill to craft the words into a bahgawd novel.

And then after you have successfully crafted your words into a bahgawd novel, even that is relatively easy. Just wait until you've got a contract and a professional editor gets hold of it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Including the third-person narrative?

And so on.

[edit]
I get what he was going for here, it just doesn't work for me.

Those aren't third person really, those are her thoughts.