Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I have seen the error of my ways and shall soon update my blog with a wall of text concerning the gross defamation of my people's heritage that is caused by amazon selling rabbi halloween costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
This Italian guy I know dressed up as a Muslim. I think most people on here would love a concept like that!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Perdido posted:

This Italian guy I know dressed up as a Muslim. I think most people on here would love a concept like that!

You know Muhammad Hussan?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

dsriggs posted:

You know Muhammad Hussan?

No.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

my jeep is a cherokee and personally

Yup, totally the same thing.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I have some reservations about Renee's costume, but I don't think it's serious enough we should be getting injun-ctions to stop her wearing it again or anything.

Endorph posted:

gently caress racism, who did it ever beat?
Booker T, Wrestlemania 19.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wasn't Tatanka white?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The winners of Bryan and Brie's Twitter costume contest

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wasn't Tatanka white?

Tatanka was about the only dude ever in wrestling who played a Native American and actually was one.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wasn't Tatanka white?

No, Tatanka is native as all hell.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

The winners of Bryan and Brie's Twitter costume contest

Is that Edward Norton?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
umm Every single week he was referred to as "The Native American Tatanka" so I have no reason to doubt his ethnicity

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I can't find it now but there was an episode of WWE Inbox on Youtube and the questiong was something along the lines of "what was your favourite Halloween costume?" and Alicia Fox said it was when she dressed up as an indian and even did the hand on your mouth "woo woo woo" thing and apparently nobody cared. I was massively surprised that they included that in the episode...

but that's off the thread's topic so I appologise.

Here's a pic from twitter of some NXT women dressed up: Batman theme seems popular

link to tweet

Sasha Banks, Dana Brooke (presumably, from the mentioned accounts), Carmella, Charlotte Flair, Becky Lynch, Jojo.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wasn't Tatanka white?

He's Lumbee, if I remember correctly.

Perdido posted:

I've heard tale of a Canadian who purports he's an Hispanic in charge of an orphanage.

Seriously though, I was raised to believe that malice was the thing to get offended by. I may not be a Native American, but I don't see any malicious intent toward the Native American culture in Renee wearing a headdress with her Halloween costume. Now, it's one thing to be insensitive or ignorant to that fact, but if you're going to judge someone as offensive because someone else was offended, there has to be some actual offense on their part, y'know?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OmegaBR posted:

I've heard tale of a Canadian who purports he's an Hispanic in charge of an orphanage.

Seriously though, I was raised to believe that malice was the thing to get offended by. I may not be a Native American, but I don't see any malicious intent toward the Native American culture in Renee wearing a headdress with her Halloween costume. Now, it's one thing to be insensitive or ignorant to that fact, but if you're going to judge someone as offensive because someone else was offended, there has to be some actual offense on their part, y'know?

There is a difference between malicious racism and casual racism, but they're both still racist. She might have no clue that a lot of native Americans (other than 1/4 Cherokee guy here, I guess) find that poo poo super offensive. I'm not saying we stone her to death or anything, but maybe she should be made aware and not do it again because it still furthers awful stereotypes no matter her intentions.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

OmegaBR posted:

Seriously though, I was raised to believe that malice was the thing to get offended by.

You're right, and the people you're explaining this to have been going out of their way to demonstrate who is the most viscerally upset about anybody associated with WWE doing anything that can be interpreted as insensitive or offensive in any context, some of them uninterrupted for the better part of a decade, so you're not going to score any points here.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Go read the PYF Cosplay thread's recent racism/blackface derail and look at how stupid it was so you'll lose all your potential will to talk about it here too.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

my roommate dressed as a lego man and i think it's disgusting the sort of statement that makes to Plastically Inclined People

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Don't dress up as racial stereotypes especially if your ancestors probably have a hand in their genocide thank you very much.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
racism, and people posting about it on SA, are equally bad

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
imo racism is dumb, just like this derail

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't dress up as racial stereotypes especially if your ancestors probably have a hand in their genocide thank you very much.

Why you gotta take away my freedom like that? Do you have any idea how many races my ancestors hosed over to get those rights? Put yourself in my shoes, man.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

There is a difference between malicious racism and casual racism, but they're both still racist. She might have no clue that a lot of native Americans (other than 1/4 Cherokee guy here, I guess) find that poo poo super offensive. I'm not saying we stone her to death or anything, but maybe she should be made aware and not do it again because it still furthers awful stereotypes no matter her intentions.

What's the awful stereotype in wearing a headdress?

If you really want to play the "I"M OFFENDED" card, I'd argue it's a form of cultural appropriation, because I sincerely doubt that Renee Young was intending to mock or denigrate people with her costume...she chose it because she thought it looked cute or cool. That said, if you're going to get your knickers in a twist over something like that, you should be doing the same with Rusev, Santino and yes, El Generico because they're all playing on cultural stereotypes that could be viewed as offensive. You should also be getting pissed off with St. Patrick's Day, given that it's cultural appropriation of the Irish, as well as a whole laundry list of other poo poo that occurs in our culture (Batista's "tribal" tattoos, for example.)

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Perdido posted:

cultural appropriation

please no

also i wore my bjj gi as my halloween costume, did i accidentally offend brazilians or asian folk?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're such a hypersensitive, well-intentioned retard that there's indelible documentary proof you thought Vince McMahon was going to have Michael Cole call Barack Obama a negro on live television. This is not a funny ironic exaggeration or misinterpretation, your hosed up rear end retard brain actually thought that would happen on the basis of the Spanish word for black being used to differentiate a guy wearing a black mask from a guy wearing a blue version of the same mask. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441241&userid=165453#post396359465

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

You're such a hypersensitive, well-intentioned retard that there's indelible documentary proof you thought Vince McMahon was going to have Michael Cole call Barack Obama a negro on live television. This is not a funny ironic exaggeration or misinterpretation, your hosed up rear end retard brain actually thought that would happen on the basis of the Spanish word for black being used to differentiate a guy wearing a black mask from a guy wearing a blue version of the same mask. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441241&userid=165453#post396359465

can you quote this for people w/out archives so we can all have a laugh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
holy poo poo that post is from 2011

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

please no

I don't really subscribe to it personally. But it's funny how everyone thinks Rusev is a great character, despite basically being a horde of Russian stereotypes. But that's okay, because reasons.

quote:

also i wore my bjj gi as my halloween costume, did i accidentally offend brazilians or asian folk?

That depends. Were you wearing a black, white or blue gi?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Perdido posted:

I don't really subscribe to it personally. But it's funny how everyone thinks Rusev is a great character, despite basically being a horde of Russian stereotypes. But that's okay, because reasons.

That depends. Were you wearing a black, white or blue gi?

white

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Shima Honnou posted:

imo racism is dumb, just like this derail

You thin-skinned assholes are missing how awesome this tweet was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Perdido posted:

What's the awful stereotype in wearing a headdress?

If you really want to play the "I"M OFFENDED" card, I'd argue it's a form of cultural appropriation, because I sincerely doubt that Renee Young was intending to mock or denigrate people with her costume...she chose it because she thought it looked cute or cool. That said, if you're going to get your knickers in a twist over something like that, you should be doing the same with Rusev, Santino and yes, El Generico because they're all playing on cultural stereotypes that could be viewed as offensive. You should also be getting pissed off with St. Patrick's Day, given that it's cultural appropriation of the Irish, as well as a whole laundry list of other poo poo that occurs in our culture (Batista's "tribal" tattoos, for example.)

I think Rusev and Santino are both kind of offensive, at least really racially broad and tone deaf to what decade we're in. Also I officially consider it part of St Patrick's Day festivities to find a bar with an Irish bartender who will spend the day laughing at all the silly Americans doing things Irish people never do.

Do I pass? I really just think Renee should pick a costume next year that isn't based on a racial stereotype. Seems reasonable to me.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

quote:

I think the Negro thing is a can of worms that should be handled by someone with decent writing skills and tact in order to cause as little offence as possible, especially in America where racial tensions run high even to this day.

So of course the WWE shouldn't do it, what the gently caress's wrong with you people? Muhammed Hassan teach you nothing about race relations in WWE?

quote:

No, I'm looking at the word Negro being put into the hands of Vince McMahon. Do you want "Perhaps we should have Sin Cara NEGRO as president, I mean COO" words to come out of Cole's mouth?

You don't give choking hazard toys to two year olds and you don't give Vince anything that can be used as a racial epithet to a mad old racist millionaire.

quote:

Mohammed Hassan did a mock terrorist execution of the Undertaker and they decided it was okay to broadcast on the day of the London terrorist attacks.

I'm not leaving anything off the table.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Yuriy posted:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Realtalk you really shouldn't be wearing a war bonnet unless you're an actual honored Native American warrior (which I doubt Renee is) and the trend of people wearing them for fashion is really awful. Here's a good article about it.

It hasn't really sunken in with people as a whole that it's a bad thing to do though and Renee hopefully and most likely wasn't being actively racist when she decided to dress up as a dead native american for halloween, but the thing to do isn't to yell at people for pointing out that she did a dumb thing, really

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I think Rusev and Santino are both kind of offensive, at least really racially broad and tone deaf to what decade we're in. Also I officially consider it part of St Patrick's Day festivities to find a bar with an Irish bartender who will spend the day laughing at all the silly Americans doing things Irish people never do.

Do you ask him to write "gently caress off" in the foam of your Guinness, too?

quote:

Do I pass? I really just think Renee should pick a costume next year that isn't based on a racial stereotype. Seems reasonable to me.

I really don't give a poo poo. I just find it funny that people are praising the Bulgarian man playing a caricatured Russian while simultaneously bitching about "awful" racial stereotypes and thought I'd point it out. :shobon:

Perdido fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 2, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it is a nuanced situation and it's possible for something to be simultaneously racist, and also not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things that are racist. I think it's probably a bit much to say that people who aren't freaking out over Renee Young's lack of knowledge about the concept of cultural appropriation are "without human empathy", because, jesus loving christ.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

hahahah ty

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You wanna talk about racism and cultural appropriations?!?! You wanna talk about racism and cultural appropriations?!?

Then go ahead fellas, I'm not gonna stop you geez.