Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GreenNight posted:

MSE is fine. Just don't click on URLS in spam emails and go to bad websites.

Adding to this, but you generally don't know what a bad website is, unless it's brazenly obvious. Malware can get placed in legit ad networks, as things like Cryptowall recently went through on yahoo.com's ad network.

Add things in like adblock plus, no script, block flash/java, etc. and occasionally run a non MS scanner (like malwarebytes' free version) and you should be decently safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim-may!!!
Jun 22, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

Probably the desktop window manager and/or your graphics card driver crashing.

Could also be a program leaking GDI Handles or similar, that will cause artifacting and failure to draw type of issues. Open Task Manager and add the GDI Objects column and see if anything continually rising.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We got these new computers in, HP EliteDesk G1 DMs. On all these computers, with the latest version of Acrobat Reader, various PDF's are missing pictures and images. All the other computers with these version of Adobe works great. I updated the graphic card drivers to the latest ver, but no dice. Is there anything else I'm missing? I don't want to use Foxit for just these new machines.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Nod32 still the go to for AV? Currently using MSE but apparently that's bad now.

I never looked back after using NOD32.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Avast and Bitdefender both have really good free versions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know if this has been mentioned in here before, but I guess Windows 10 will ship with the OneGet command line package manager.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned in here before, but I guess Windows 10 will ship with the OneGet command line package manager.

This is officially the best version of Windows ever.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm weirdly happy about the package manager. Favorite part of using Linux.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thermopyle posted:

Hot poo poo. Glad to see they're actually adding features instead of slapping on coats of paint.

So Windows 8 was really just a cruel prank played on desktop users while they were working on something interesting. Fair enough.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If it can make keeping packages up to date as easy as in Linux it really would be the best thing ever.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes, trying to play Blu Ray on my computer. I do not want to pay for/support PowerDVD etc.

A few years ago, This site's instructions allowed me to play Blu Ray in VLC. It's not working anymore/for the disc I'm using.

DvDFab Passkey works, but my trial's over, and I don't want to pay for it either.

MakeMKV's giving me data errors when I try to rip using it.

Any ideas? I figure this would have been sorted out by now.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Will OneGet hunt down dependencies or is it just an easily scripted way to install things from your own repositories?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I used find-package the other day, it said it couldn't and then it downloaded some stuff and then it worked. I don't know if that answers your question or not but it seems to be able to download what it needs to work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

thebigcow posted:

Will OneGet hunt down dependencies or is it just an easily scripted way to install things from your own repositories?

You install applications that work from it. When someone packages an application, they either include the dependencies, or if the dependencies are already on a repo, they configure the package as requiring that other package and then OneGet downloads it as needed.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
A friend of mine is saying that at work she and her coworker are using the same version of Outlook 2010, yet when they mark colored flags for emails, it does not show up in the other person's. Any ideas?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Cyra posted:

A friend of mine is saying that at work she and her coworker are using the same version of Outlook 2010, yet when they mark colored flags for emails, it does not show up in the other person's. Any ideas?

Aren't those just for personal organization? E: unless you're talking about priority, which aren't always "flags".

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Factor Mystic posted:

Aren't those just for personal organization? E: unless you're talking about priority, which aren't always "flags".

Apparently if you're on the same network you can use them in shared folders. I've never really used Outlook, so hell if I know.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I have a w2008r2 box I need to pass an IP to (other machine is linux) for hosting services.
I tried openvpn - one explicit necessity is that the real client IP is accessible to the windows machine; some clients are IP-whitelisted and it's a custom TCP protocol so things like X-Forwarded-For or equivalent are out. Openvpn results in the same 10.0.0.1 client IP to the server application, blocking anyone from being able to use it.

This has to be done over the internet, they are not on the same LAN, they are not in the same building, the 2008r2 box is behind a NAT, the linux box has 2 public IPs allocated, 1 used for itself, 1 to pass on for the 2008 to listen on.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cyra posted:

They don't show up if the other person is just sending/receiving email with a category flag, but if you're viewing a shared folder or you are a delegate to another's email where the categories have been assigned then you can view them there. The colour is entirely client-side though, so unless you're using the default categories they'll show up as grey if you haven't set the category up on your own Outlook, or in whatever colour you've set it up to be.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Ghostlight posted:

They don't show up if the other person is just sending/receiving email with a category flag, but if you're viewing a shared folder or you are a delegate to another's email where the categories have been assigned then you can view them there. The colour is entirely client-side though, so unless you're using the default categories they'll show up as grey if you haven't set the category up on your own Outlook, or in whatever colour you've set it up to be.

Thank you for this explanation, helped a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a go-to TOTP app for Windows? Need a Google Authenticator equivalent for my Dell Venue 8 Pro. The obvious search of the Windows Store reveals "google authenticator" but it doesn't look nice and i'm wondering if there's a crowd favourite. Of course whether or not it looks nice is really secondary to it actually -- you know -- working, but still..

The couple I found don't have the ability to add via QR code which is a pain in the dick.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 31, 2014

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Martytoof posted:

The couple I found don't have the ability to add via QR code which is a pain in the dick.

Why don't you use NFC? What's wrong with YubiKey's software?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WorkingStiff posted:

Why don't you use NFC? What's wrong with YubiKey's software?

I've got a folder full of QR codes that I need to scan in to match my other google authenticator apps on my ipad and iphone. I can decode them and add them by hand but I'd rather not. Not sure about the Yubikey software, I'll check it out, thanks!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Is there a go-to TOTP app for Windows? Need a Google Authenticator equivalent for my Dell Venue 8 Pro. The obvious search of the Windows Store reveals "google authenticator" but it doesn't look nice and i'm wondering if there's a crowd favourite. Of course whether or not it looks nice is really secondary to it actually -- you know -- working, but still..

Huh, weird. Microsoft has one for Windows Phone, but strangely not for Windows 8.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have what is I'm sure an EXTREMELY simple question about some AD Home directory and folder permissions issues, but I'm new to working in IT.

I work on a small MSP team, most of whom are out today and the rest (well...the ONE other guy) is too busy with more important things to bother him with this (I also prefer not to look like a complete moron to him...I'm ok with looking like a complete moron to goons, though.)

A customer asked me this:

quote:

I have had a couple of users ask about the security of a particular folder that we created when we set up the VNXe file server.

It is named \\company-file\private\ and we map a drive to each user’s individual folder through their AD profile (see below). It’s been a while, so I don’t remember our conversations, but I think that we had set it up so that only the user and the domain administrator accounts could view the specific folder. But, I was working on another permission request and noticed that the //computer-file/private/ is set to “everyone”.

I might not be remembering this correctly (so if it’s not possible let me know) but is there a way to set up the VNXe so that the permissions default to only allowing the user and the administrator user access?

It looks like this:

I then went into Computer Management on the DC, brought up the server the folders are on, and got the properties of it from there:

From the research I did, it looks like I SHOULD remove the "Everyone" group from having any sort of access, even just read or list folder contents, right? My plan is to add Domain Admins to the Share Permissions and Security tabs and give full access, then remove "Everyone" entirely.

Since the user folders on \\company-file\private are the user's home directory in AD, they should still have full permission to do what they will there, just not ever see anyone else's directory/files, yeah?

V V V Oops, thanks...I mean, not a huge deal, it's not like a simple abbreviation of the company's name they use for their servers will give out much info, but fixing it now. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 31, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dunno about all that, but you didn't forget to blank the object name in the last pic did you? Since you went to the effort and all I just thought I'd check

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As you've got it right now, anybody can do anything in that folder. But as to your concern, you want to look at the actual user folders to see what those permissions are.

Having users be able to create folders in that folder may or may not be desirable, depending on how you provision accounts. If you somehow create that folder for the user before they login, then you don't want them to be able to make folders. If the folder isn't precreated, you want the user objects to be able to make the folder object on their first login.

This is how I've got my share setup. These folders are created by the user object on logon.
"CREATOR OWNER" has full control over Subfolders and files only.
A meta group of all users has Traverse folder/execute file, List folder/read data, Read attributes, Read extended attributes, and Create folders/append data (whether you use this last one depends on how your folders are created).

As for the actual "share permissions" (that first screenshot of yours) that should basically always be set to everyone full control, because your actual access control is done at the NTFS level, not the share level.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes, trying to play Blu Ray on my computer. I do not want to pay for/support PowerDVD etc.

Any ideas? I figure this would have been sorted out by now.

I haven't tried it myself due to lack of a BR drive, but http://www.leawo.org/blu-ray-player/ went free recently.
Can't vouch for it, but it appears to have been a reputable paid version before.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

Does anyone know of a fairly basic ERP system that is either low cost or free/open source, and isn't an unusable piece of poo poo? I work for a small manufacturer, and right now I'm using a lovely Access database that I made to keep track of what products went where, inventory, RMAs, and a few other things. One of the tables is up to 11000 entries, and the quieries take forever.

I've looked at Odoo, which used to be OpenERP, but their demo install looks like poo poo and is not intuitive at all. I'm open to web based or local install, whatever works well.

Thanks

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Risket posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

Does anyone know of a fairly basic ERP system that is either low cost or free/open source, and isn't an unusable piece of poo poo? I work for a small manufacturer, and right now I'm using a lovely Access database that I made to keep track of what products went where, inventory, RMAs, and a few other things. One of the tables is up to 11000 entries, and the quieries take forever.

I've looked at Odoo, which used to be OpenERP, but their demo install looks like poo poo and is not intuitive at all. I'm open to web based or local install, whatever works well.

Thanks

I don't have any suggestions for ERP software, but if your needs are simple enough you may be able to take care of your performance problems by moving off Access and onto a real database. MSSQL Express is free with some sizing limitations, otherwise look into a database running on Linux.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Many moons ago, I asked for a piece of software what could lock down an XP computer to make it more or less function as a glorified web browser with a few extra features (using Word, ability to print, ect).

I was universally recommend the now discontinued Windows SteadyState.

It is awesome. I still use it on said XP machine. But now I need something equivalent for Windows 7.

I read somewhere that SteadyState would work with Win7. it does not.

In researching alternatives, all the alternatives seem to be software which would, in essence, return the computer to its pre-configured state every time it was rebooted. So while in use, the user can gently caress up the machine in all kind of ways, but once they're done, you just reboot and its back to how you want it.

That works to a certain degree I guess, but what I like so much about SteadyState was its ability to reallly lock down the computer. How it doesnt ALLOW a user to do anything like that. No need to reboot, cause it never lets them do anything I don't let them do in the first place. This is what I need for my Win7 computer. I need to allow only a whitelist of certain programs to even run, not let people write files to anywhere except designated folders, ect.

Is there anything that does that nowadays, for Win 7?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

Many moons ago, I asked for a piece of software what could lock down an XP computer to make it more or less function as a glorified web browser with a few extra features (using Word, ability to print, ect).

I was universally recommend the now discontinued Windows SteadyState.

It is awesome. I still use it on said XP machine. But now I need something equivalent for Windows 7.

I read somewhere that SteadyState would work with Win7. it does not.

In researching alternatives, all the alternatives seem to be software which would, in essence, return the computer to its pre-configured state every time it was rebooted. So while in use, the user can gently caress up the machine in all kind of ways, but once they're done, you just reboot and its back to how you want it.

That works to a certain degree I guess, but what I like so much about SteadyState was its ability to reallly lock down the computer. How it doesnt ALLOW a user to do anything like that. No need to reboot, cause it never lets them do anything I don't let them do in the first place. This is what I need for my Win7 computer. I need to allow only a whitelist of certain programs to even run, not let people write files to anywhere except designated folders, ect.

Is there anything that does that nowadays, for Win 7?

User Account Control at high settings is going to stop a lot of the stuff that you needed special software to protect you against with Windows XP.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What about automatic logout after inactivity, or whitelist folders/programs?

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Microsoft is making it really hard for me to buy a digital copy of 8.1 with my student discount. My new system doesn't have a disc drive but I live in Canada, and the website says that the student discount is unavailable at this time :confused: I went to a Microsoft store, but they didn't seem to know what was happening. Or maybe I was unable to articulate my problem (always a possibility since I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So playing around with this parental controls/user access stuff. Parental Controls claims it will ONLY allow program which you select. I selected Word, Chrome, and thats it. Log on to account: For everything it blocks, it pops up an annoying window letting you know its blocked (quite annoying), and then proceeds to let me launch IE, Paint, Soltaire, ect...

So that seems like a poo poo job at controlling the computer. What a piece of poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

So playing around with this parental controls/user access stuff. Parental Controls claims it will ONLY allow program which you select. I selected Word, Chrome, and thats it. Log on to account: For everything it blocks, it pops up an annoying window letting you know its blocked (quite annoying), and then proceeds to let me launch IE, Paint, Soltaire, ect...

So that seems like a poo poo job at controlling the computer. What a piece of poo poo.

Are you trying as an admin? If you're an admin it will say it's blocked but allow you to override it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

vivisecting posted:

Microsoft is making it really hard for me to buy a digital copy of 8.1 with my student discount. My new system doesn't have a disc drive but I live in Canada, and the website says that the student discount is unavailable at this time :confused: I went to a Microsoft store, but they didn't seem to know what was happening. Or maybe I was unable to articulate my problem (always a possibility since I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about).

So you're able to buy a physical copy with your student discount? If you don't have access to a USB DVD drive, you could maybe get a friend that has a drive rip it as an .iso file (you can use something like ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/), and then use Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to put that onto a USB stick as a bootable device.

If you were looking more for dealing with Microsoft suggestions, I don't know, sorry. :x

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

vivisecting posted:

I haven't checked Dreamspark lately, is it available on there for free?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I haven't checked Dreamspark lately, is it available on there for free?

Actually yeah, you're right. I just checked and it's there. FWIW I have a Premium account, not sure if it's the same for a standard one.

Fake edit - Windows 10 is also on there, I've been playing around with it at work when I have spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Are you trying as an admin? If you're an admin it will say it's blocked but allow you to override it.

Nope, I signed out as Admin and logged into my new locked down account and it let me run all kinds of stuff I didnt white list.