Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I'm glad this thread exists because otherwise I wouldn't know about this new way to waste my life. I have a depressing number of hours and 100% completion in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wonder if there are going to be new sins bosses. He covered all 7 already so I don't know how there would be more, but I also don't see there not being new miniboss sins.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Would be dope if it were the 7 virtues...

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I wonder if there are going to be new sins bosses. He covered all 7 already so I don't know how there would be more, but I also don't see there not being new miniboss sins.

I'm just spitballing here but "hard mode" versions based on the 7 heavenly virtues? Make it happen, Edmund.

edit: ^^sup^^

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Do we know if we will be able to preload this? I have a job interview on the 4th and then a 3 hour train home so I might attempt to play but I'm not sure how much time I will get between the before the train.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Well there's obviously the seven sins and the seven super sins but only Ultra Pride so he could probably add a few more tiers there for all of them? Super, ultra, alpha, omega, etc?

Dugong posted:

Do we know if we will be able to preload this? I have a job interview on the 4th and then a 3 hour train home so I might attempt to play but I'm not sure how much time I will get between the before the train.

It's probably not gonna be that massive so I doubt you'll be able to preload, that's for poo poo that's like 5+ gigs.
Edit: Yeah, I just looked and the game is 449 mb so even if you only have a few minutes you'll be fine.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

*opens shop*
*finds Avarice*
*whispers "gently caress"*

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Haven't 100% the original, but I'm pretty excited for Rebirth, all the changes so far seem great, even if I still don't give a drat about the overall theme of the game.

Honestly, I'm mostly excited for it to be another game I'll be able to play while listening to podcasts/audiobooks.

Hopefully there won't be horrible technical issues with the game on launch on PC as quite a few indie games tend to have.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
89% the original and I'm a-ok with that. I'll aim for better this time around.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't blame people for not 100% it after the expansion came out. It really hosed the balance over, which is probably my only real complaint about the game.

To be honest I find playing without the expansion to be a lot more fun.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Eonwe posted:

I don't blame people for not 100% it after the expansion came out. It really hosed the balance over, which is probably my only real complaint about the game.

I didn't mind it after thoroughly playing through the original; even though it probably made runs more RNG-dependent overall, more variety and challenge was really welcome. For a person new to the game I can imagine that starting off with the expansion unlocked would be awful, though. Since Rebirth has all the Wrath of the Lamb content built-in I imagine some of it's going to be unlocked staggered across runs, so a new player doesn't immediately hit all the tougher alternate levels and bosses on their first few playthroughs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've got the whole collection and all the no-hit achievements, but I can't figure out what necromancy it takes get the ???'s Soul and Eve's Bird Foot achievements to pop.

Whatever, it's a moral victory :colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eonwe posted:

I don't think that was the problem for me. I think the expansion was good for experienced players but really hurt the people who bought both the base and expansion together and started with Lamb content.

The only achievements I'm missing are Chest achievements and Dark Boy. I just don't feel like grinding along for them and burning out on the game right before Rebirth.

PostNouveau posted:

I've got the whole collection and all the no-hit achievements, but I can't figure out what necromancy it takes get the ???'s Soul and Eve's Bird Foot achievements to pop.

I got ???'s Soul by beating the Chest with Cain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've only know BoI with the Lamb DLC so hearing babies cry about how hard it is makes my cold, shriveled heart a little more disgusting.

Get on my level, idiots.

(I still don't have Platinum God)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Met posted:

I don't think that was the problem for me. I think the expansion was good for experienced players but really hurt the people who bought both the base and expansion together and started with Lamb content.

As someone who has been playing since before WotL came out, I agree. The expansion definitely brings with it a spike in difficulty and given how hard I found the vanilla game when I first started, it must be pretty crazy trying to start with WotL.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm honestly just glad Rebirth is making items actually work together so you don't hit situations where you get one good item and suddenly like half of the good items in the game are useless.

E:

Ariong posted:

As someone who has been playing since before WotL came out, I agree. The expansion definitely brings with it a spike in difficulty and given how hard I found the vanilla game when I first started, it must be pretty crazy trying to start with WotL.

Yeah the problem is that WotL both makes the game harder and introduces a slew of items that are terrible. WotL adds some really, really awesome powerups but also adds a bunch of stuff that's hot garbage (Pageant Boy and The Box really come to mind)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never played without WoTL and I can't imagine wanting to either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magres posted:

Yeah the problem is that WotL both makes the game harder and introduces a slew of items that are terrible. WotL adds some really, really awesome powerups but also adds a bunch of stuff that's hot garbage (Pageant Boy and The Box really come to mind)

I was playing the other day and got The Box as a reward for beating the first boss. It's no health boost but I didn't find it to be complete garbage.

It gave me Cancer though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
One thing they really need to address in Rebirth is the D6. Unlocking it is a challenge but Isaac is just too loving good with it. I could see giving him the D20 to reroll hearts and keys and stuff to give him an advantage but turning The Poop into Mom's Knife (extreme example) is way, way too powerful.

Met posted:

I was playing the other day and got The Box as a reward for beating the first boss. It's no health boost but I didn't find it to be complete garbage.

I'm fine with the Box or Pagent Boy being restricted to maybe the first two floor when getting that kind of boost is good. Maybe isolate them to secret rooms so they don't pollute the pool of needed items?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only bought the game after WotL, and got them at the same time on sale. I 100% the game after something like 300 hours. I started playing without the expansion after Steam made the option to turn off DLC from the Steam interface. I only played that way for a while, as I missed becoming an overpowered god. (I'm pretty much always trying to kill myself to get Guppy mode.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, count me in as another who's only played it with WotL included. I didn't get into Isaac until a couple weeks after the expansion dropped in fact. I love the game, but I am so not good at it. I've been playing that long, and I still haven't unlocked the chest yet. I have like, three sheol runs and three cathedral runs to complete (not an identical set of characters there). What I'm saying is I stink on ice.

Also, it's totally killing me that I don't get paid til Monday and have to wait until then to pre-order.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Met posted:

I mean when you get Cancer out of it that's basically best case scenario - it's one of the best trinkets in the game. Imagine getting bad trip pills, a penny, half a heart, and a useless trinket. And now you know why I absolutely hate seeing The Box.

Honestly The Box and/or Pageant Boy aren't the worst as first floor drops, but when you're really hurting for something good in like Necropolis and get The Box, it's pretty frustrating.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I had no idea how fast I could preorder when it became available. :toot:
Except am moving and will be without internet from the 3rd to the 17th. :suicide: :shepface:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any chance you're on a laptop and can go download it at a coffee shop or something?

Alternately if you can get a usb wifi card for your desktop and get it via tethering from your phone. Half a gig isn't that much data

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Sometimes I'm relieved to see The Box, when I'm missing a vital bomb or key to grab something potentially important elsewhere on the floor, like an item room or more rarely a secret room.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Magres posted:

Any chance you're on a laptop and can go download it at a coffee shop or something?
I'm not too worried, I might link-up my phone's dataplan depending on the installation size and what else I need to use my plan for in those weeks.
I just laughed at the coincidence. :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Pretty freaking excited about this game. Bummed it won't unlock until I'm at work. Would love to be on it at midnight Tuesday.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Magres posted:

The Box is good though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Box is a good item and great if you get it early. If it's bad it's only bad in the sense that an HP upgrade is bad when you have like 10 hearts and you need damage.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah hope the RNG is better on boss drops this time. The above mention pageant boy seem to appear more then anything, which always gave you barely five cents.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Cat of Nine Tails is the boss item I'm never happy to see. Box blows it out of the water.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Tracula posted:

One thing they really need to address in Rebirth is the D6. Unlocking it is a challenge but Isaac is just too loving good with it. I could see giving him the D20 to reroll hearts and keys and stuff to give him an advantage but turning The Poop into Mom's Knife (extreme example) is way, way too powerful.

Don't play as Isaac! I love bending the game to my will with D6 abuse!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As crazy good as the D6 may be, Cain will always be my default. Never having to worry about pills and almost always winning games of chance is matvelous.

Well, if I get an arcade my current run time will extend by 20 minutes.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
The Box owns, how could you hate it? It's way better than +1 red heart and given the choice I'd go with the Box every time.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

One change I hope to see in Rebirth is making the horseman bosses less common. The boss fights in BoI are awesome, and it's a real bummer that a subset of them that show up a lot are just (usually minor) variations on the same fight. Knowing what drop you're going to get before the fight even starts is pretty lame, too.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

One change I hope to see in Rebirth is making the horseman bosses less common. The boss fights in BoI are awesome, and it's a real bummer that a subset of them that show up a lot are just (usually minor) variations on the same fight. Knowing what drop you're going to get before the fight even starts is pretty lame, too.

I'd be cool with that if cubes of meat came from somewhere else. The horsemen are more miniboss-y anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah, these are the most tedious boss fights as well.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
EDIT: poo poo, I meant to post this in the old Isaac thread. Well, it's still worth crowing about... and hopefully Rebirth's new coding will prevent silly Flash poo poo like this from happening.

Just in time for Rebirth, I have finally achieved Dark Boy! The game only thinks I've gotten 93/97 secrets, though, so no plat god yet. I know I've gotten those secrets before (I've been at 96/97) and I know why it's doing this (stupid flash and cookies affecting how the game works), so I'll just have to re-unlock the missing secrets to get plat god... I sure hope I don't need to find Ultra Pride again.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 2, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Still can't figure out why they didn't subtitle it Afterbirth. I mean jfc it writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Oberleutnant posted:

Still can't figure out why they didn't subtitle it Afterbirth. I mean jfc it writes itself.

That'll be the expansion. First there's the rebirth and then the afterbirth.