Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Official Discord Link: https://discord.gg/TzbPAEB

-------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about the plastic model industry, so I can't answer that question. Unfortunately, I can't really make a statement on the plastic scale modeling kits, probably because I'd be eradicated from the industry if I made my true feelings known." - Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator of Gundam.

-------------------------------------------------

Previous threads:

Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk. III - 1/1 Scale Real Grade Nerds
Gunpla/Model Thread 2: Breakin' Plastic, Breakin' Bank

Welcome to Gunpla/Plamo/Robot Toy Thread 4.0. You know why you came here - you like anime robots and want to build and/or collect a lot of them. Sit down, relax, and grab your hobby knife as you enter the world of Gunpla. Any questions?

PMush Perfect posted:

That would kind of require buying a Gunpla to know about, wouldn't it?

TL;DR Guide:
Preparation
1. Buy an HG, that's High-Grade, it's the one a beginner wants to build. The HG Hi-Mock is a oft-recommended first kit and here's another one you might recognize, but any High-Grade you want to build will do. Just be aware that some of the older ones may not be in production any more, so could be more expensive.
2. Buy some nippers, an x-acto knife, and some sandpaper, some rough, some fine.
2b. Theoretically, you could get by with just using a pair of nail clippers and the little metal nail file on them, but it's probably gonna show. Bad clippers, in particular, are the #1 cause of stress marks, and can even result in breaking a piece off.
3. Buy a Gundam Marker, it's used for 'panel lining'. You don't really need to paint any these days unless you want to, but panel lining can make a world of difference.

Assembly
4. Try to only clip pieces as you need them, it's much easier than accidentally losing something because you cut it earlier. Make sure you're not cutting off some of the part itself. That can suck, and even ruin a kit if you gently caress up some really major pieces.
5. Clip a bit away from the part. Too close, and it's stress mark time. Then, cutting parallel to the plastic, shave the nub off with the x-acto knife, and sandpaper it with fine sandpaper until it's smooth. (Rough sandpaper is for when you're either not brave enough or it's too difficult to shave off the entire thing.
6. The instructions are usually pretty good, just follow them closely and make sure you don't mix up parts that are similar or mirrored.
7. Once you're finished, use your Gundam Marker to go through some of the recessed white plastic bits that would be metal panels on a 'real' Gundam. Take it slow, don't push too hard. Some people fill it out in every possible edge, give their gunpla a very hard-edge, well-defined look. Others go for only the more important parts, giving theirs a softer, slightly cartoonier look. Which you do is up to you.
7b. If you have colored Gundam markers, you can use them to cover up stress marks. Nice little trick for making your kits look a bit better.

Finished! Congratulations, you've made your first Gunpla and now have all the tools the next time you wanna drop $20 to kill a few hours.

COMMON "GRADES" OF GUNPLA

Super Deformed

Giant robots made to be cute. Simple builds, but generally lacking in part and color separation. Will require some experience with painting to really bring out their detail.

1/144 High Grade kits

More involved build than the above, better molded detail, better color separation with stickers only generally being used for small details, and better articulation/poseability.

1/144 Real Grade

Basically being Master Grades in a 1/144 scale, the RG line dwarfs other 1/144 kits (and many Master Grade kits) in terms of detail and complexity. Recommended that you have some experience with modeling before you take on a RG, as a high parts count combined with many small parts could make this a frustrating experience for beginners.

1/100 Master Grade

The flagship gunpla line, Master Grades are what fills the shelves of many Gunpla builders. Because of the high parts count, full inner frame assembly, and multiple marking sheets to add extra detail, these are kits for people with some experience in modeling. However, even with minimal effort, a MG can become an impressive display piece on any shelf.

1/60 Perfect Grade

A line for only the diehard Gunpla builders due to their extremely high parts count, required build time, and demand for shelf space.

Is Gunpla the only kind of model kits Bandai makes?

No, Bandai makes a poo poo ton of model kits based on other franchises, and between that and their smaller/failed Gunpla lines results in way too many different model kit lines to list off. Instead, here's a link that shows them off, ranging from DBZ to Macross to Star Wars: http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/etc_cata_e.htm

What if i'm really lazy though, and just want cool stuff to pose right out of the box. Is there anything for me?

Yes, yes there is.

Robot Damashii, The Robot Spirits

This is Bandai/Tamashii Nation's line of high-quality, highly detailed, solidly constructed, and extremely poseable robot action figures. Standing in at just shy of six inches and coming with loads of accessories, these figures put Bandai's earlier efforts such as In Action! and HCM Pro to shame.

Super Robot Chogokin

A line under the Tamashii Nations umbrella, Bandai created smaller, high-quality, extremely articulated robots under its already popular Chogokin banner. These figures include an impressive amount of die-cast construction for their size and are extremely well-crafted figures.

Soul of Chogokin

Major league robot toy collecting right here. Highly expensive, but extremely well built, well-detailed die-cast super robot toys are the name of the game, loaded with more accessories than you'll ever know what to do with. A Soul of Chogokin figure will make an excellent centerpiece to any collection.

Revoltech

Kaiyodo's long-running line of small, extremely poseable action figures. These highly detailed figures come with included stands and numerous accessories. The secret to their ability to strike and hold any pose comes from the use of the Revoltech ratcheting joint. Very reasonable price-point.

Okay, I want to buy this stuff. Where's a good place to go?

Amazon.com - Prime Shipping on many kits, reasonable North American prices.
Hobby Link Japan - Watch for sales and shipping specials.
Hobby Search
AmiAmi - Best prices around, great for pre-ordering though they can sell out quickly.

Thanks to Mecha Gojira for his OP, which helped make creating this one a lot easier.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
BECOMING A PRO GUNPLA PAINTER

Airbrushing tutorial - courtesy of Youtuber Vegeta8259 "Henry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLgjhT6Rds (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oiXbH4gbUo (part 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txfCqcYTY8M (part 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxJ399qGw0 (part 4)

GUIDE TO WORKING WITH STYRENE

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3678195&perpage=40&pagenumber=672#post493482170

COMPLETED GOON PROJECTS

1/144 HG Hygogg - peeNamaste: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=104#post443234048

1/100 MG Unicorn Gundam - Midjack: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&userid=129320&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post443349490

1/144 HG Gundam X/Gundam Double X - Oblique Angle: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=37&perpage=40#post439047576

1/144 HG Psyco Gundam - PoptartsNinja: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&userid=136166&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post439148249

1/100 MG Full Armor Unicorn Gundam "Chimera" - ACES CURES PLANES: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3678195&perpage=40&pagenumber=142#post445393993

1/144 RG Build Gundam Mk.II - Broken Loose

1/100 MG Exia Gundam RII - BlitzBlast

Null of Undefined posted:

Sup thread, I just spent over 1k on a resin printer + supplies to make my dreams finally come true

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 5, 2021

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Where is the Tomino picture and quote.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All of the HG Raider's wings red is from a sticker, what a mess.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

"I'm sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about the plastic model industry, so I can't answer that question. Unfortunately, I can't really make a statement on the plastic scale modeling kits, probably because I'd be eradicated from the industry if I made my true feelings known." - Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator of Gundam.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Posting in this thread because I hate my wallet and I hate all of you.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sorry about that, OP is still a WIP. Tomino quote and picture are added.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thank you. Please remember to not buy Gundams.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Cool, a new thread. Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: Build Fighters still working as intended, but this is pretty good.

I need to take pictures of all the stuff I've finished at some point. But that means I hafta pose those robots, and at least one of them want an action base pretty badly. Not to mention panel lining. And I need to decide on faces for my Beargguy-san. And most of them require topcoat.

I can post a picture of my completed/WIP boxes shelf, at least?

The five actual kits on the right aren't out, due to my work on them being kinda crap. The Strike Freedom actually isn't finished, because I require some gloves to stop from smudging up the wings. I have learned that I hate RGs in my Gunpla journey so far, though? :confuoot:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

(e): never mind

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 2, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zwingley posted:

Cool, a new thread. Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: Build Fighters still working as intended, but this is pretty good.

I need to take pictures of all the stuff I've finished at some point. But that means I hafta pose those robots, and at least one of them want an action base pretty badly. Not to mention panel lining. And I need to decide on faces for my Beargguy-san. And most of them require topcoat.

I can post a picture of my completed/WIP boxes shelf, at least?

The five actual kits on the right aren't out, due to my work on them being kinda crap. The Strike Freedom actually isn't finished, because I require some gloves to stop from smudging up the wings. I have learned that I hate RGs in my Gunpla journey so far, though? :confuoot:

whats with all these casuals making GBS threads up the thread. your addiction isnt even that crippling

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Fauxtool posted:

whats with all these casuals making GBS threads up the thread. your addiction isnt even that crippling

I'll get there eventually. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zwingley posted:

I'll get there eventually. :v:

Don't get there. Never get there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fauxtool posted:

Those 4 RG kits are in the wrong stacking order.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Guess I have to post this at least once per thread:

note: this photo is several years old, and the back wall is now almost totally obscured by a giant stack of HGs, MGs, and random miscellania. Also, my collection 20 years ago covered approximately five times the wall space it does here.

So please, tell me more about your loving backlogs.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The 50 Shades trailer but when he opens the door it's that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My favourite bit is the recessed light that illuminates the top shelf and nothing else. The gunpla is blocking out the light.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Can we organize a Goon meet to Bimmi and Fauxtool's house so we can get those loving kits built? Or at least get them drunk and then take the kits for ourselves while they are asleep? I call dibs on 1/60 Wing Zero, PG Skygrasper, 1/100 legend, and PG RX-78-2.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The gunpla is blocking out the light.

This is true on a metaphysical level as well.

Most of my pre-1999 collection lives in stacking Rubbermaid drawers now. Got 23 of these things and they're all full:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I call dibs on any dope MGs and also the shelving.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

Can we organize a Goon meet to Bimmi and Fauxtool's house so we can get those loving kits built? Or at least get them drunk and then take the kits for ourselves while they are asleep? I call dibs on 1/60 Wing Zero, PG Skygrasper, 1/100 legend, and PG RX-78-2.

come on over, anything you build here you can keep

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I seem to recall asking about your 1/100 V2A and V2B last time. Or did I PM midjack?

I'd wave my backlog dick, but I'm actually starting to work through it now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Literally The Worst posted:

I call dibs on any dope MGs and also the shelving.

I may someday part with my models but you won't have my storage without a bloody fight to the death.

BlitzBlast posted:

I seem to recall asking about your 1/100 V2A and V2B last time. Or did I PM midjack?

Must have been him. Gonna be a while before I get back in any kind of sale mode though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Enough posting unbuilt kits and post built kits!

Wait, poo poo. Mechanicore, stop. I can't take this, you're going to kill me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd wave my backlog dick, but I'm actually starting to work through it now.

I don't think it was me - I've never had either of those.

I'll spare the hoarders reject pix this thread and just say that Bimmi is the only one who will admit to surpassing my stockpile on this board.

If any of you guys are having a tough time finding a particular kit, PM me or post here before getting scalped on ebay or something. I've sold a few to people who were in need and am thinking that's not a bad way to free up space and help someone else have fun too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I call dibs on any and all Star Wars kits. And I guess GP-02.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Enough posting unbuilt kits and post built kits!

What about partially built kits?

Kitbashigor Hell Custom's about 85% done. I still have some major touch-ups to do, and the Dragon Fangs are nowhere near done. I'm praying I can duplicate the work I've done on this left one--I made a mold of the Abigor's central eye so when it's done both Dragon Fangs are getting three Zanscare bug eyes too.

If it comes out looking OK.

If it doesn't, I get to carefully chip-away green stuff to revert them to their natural state. :smithicide:

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012
Would this be the right place to post for advice? A long while back, I was subtitling Dai-sentai Goggle V (I swear I'm still working on it, I'm not in denial) and my girlfriend bought be a Goggle Robo model from like 1983. I've got plenty of experience with gunpla, but this whole "you need to paint and glue the drat thing" part is kind of intimidating, especially since some of the areas that need paint are absurdly small.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
FineScale Modeler has a nice little freebie guide on their site that covers the basics pretty well:

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/Files/PDF/How%20To/EasyScaleModeling.pdf

Their forums are also a good place to get info and advice on pretty much anything related to the hobby.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Midjack posted:

I'll spare the hoarders reject pix this thread and just say that Bimmi is the only one who will admit to surpassing my stockpile on this board.

Goddammit now you're going to make me post a current picture of my Gundam closet, aren't you?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

New thread, and I'm just starting a project for the first time in ten years. When I was a child, I only did snap together. Now I'm doing a Thunderbolt Zaku II in a Build Fighters color scheme. :dance:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Warmachine posted:

New thread, and I'm just starting a project for the first time in ten years. When I was a child, I only did snap together. Now I'm doing a Thunderbolt Zaku II in a Build Fighters color scheme. :dance:

That's awesome, I love the Thunderbolt variations. I've only glanced at my sprues and its go so much more detail than the stock Zaku.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Bimmi posted:

note: this photo is several years old, and the back wall is now almost totally obscured by a giant stack of HGs, MGs, and random miscellania. Also, my collection 20 years ago covered approximately five times the wall space it does here.

this is what I meant in the last thread when I told people that a backlog of 15 kits isn't so bad.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
How did I start this discussion when I didn't even post a backlog. :saddowns:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Looking back at that Mechanicore 1/100 Deep Striker, I decided to use the comparison shots to measure out how long that thing would be fully built and extended. Using my MG Ex-S's box as a base, looks like the thing will be a good four and a half feet long. I can't help but feel they're getting ahead of themselves with this one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why is there a zippo can in that picture, do you use lighter fluid to start up the engines?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tenzarin posted:

Why is there a zippo can in that picture, do you use lighter fluid to start up the engines?

Lighter fluid can be used for panel line washes, at least. There are probably like 12 other uses for it that I don't know of, though. :shobon:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bimmi posted:

I'm glad to see this is a even bigger problem with small plastic robots than it is with small plastic tanks and airplanes

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
I guess since new thread, I'll post completed robots instead of backlog.

First painted kit that I finished a while ago. Probably my favorite.

Then

and recently (that I can't finish now because university sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Not gonna lie, I snickered when I saw the DANGER on the wrists.