Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

MourningView posted:

so you're saying you have a lot in common with them

Right down to the fact that I pay someone else to write my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FMguru posted:

The author of the story was the otherwise-beloved Dave McKenna, mostly known for his tireless efforts at documenting Dan Snyder's shittiness (and Dan Snyder's enthusiasm for suing people daring to document his shittiness).

Ooooooops.
I'm still befuddled as to why they felt the need to wade into this anyway. It's not like it's a common thing where a guy lies about playing football in junior high and high school.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm still befuddled as to why they felt the need to wade into this anyway. It's not like it's a common thing where a guy lies about playing football in junior high and high school.
I'm beginning to suspect that Al Bundy didn't score four touchdowns in one game for Polk High!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FMguru posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that Al Bundy didn't score four touchdowns in one game for Polk High!
Send an e-mail to Deadspin and they'll be on it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
This is nearly two months old, but here's a really good first-person account of being a basketball player in war-torn Ukraine this past year. I may be a bit biased since I went to Virginia Tech when Collins was there, but whatever.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/11453771/coleman-collins-season-war-torn-ukraine

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

joshtothemaxx posted:

This is nearly two months old, but here's a really good first-person account of being a basketball player in war-torn Ukraine this past year. I may be a bit biased since I went to Virginia Tech when Collins was there, but whatever.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/11453771/coleman-collins-season-war-torn-ukraine

We this the guy who had to live off of roaches for a while? Or was that some other player in a different country?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bill Simmons' weekly NFL picks column came out today, only it wasn't written by Bill Simmons. More ESPN intrigue ahead?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

Bill Simmons' weekly NFL picks column came out today, only it wasn't written by Bill Simmons. More ESPN intrigue ahead?

Barnwell's been writing it the last few weeks. I'd guess they're rushing to finish filming their NBA previews, since I think they were in the middle of shooting when he got suspended.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 18, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Barnwell has been doing it since the suspension started

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm guessing he wasn't allowed to write any content during the suspension, and since it just lifted on Wednesday there wasn't any time to get a picks column in.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Grantland Basketball Hour is on at 7pm ET on ESPN.

So hyped :mrapig:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Geno posted:

Grantland Basketball Hour is on at 7pm ET on ESPN.

So hyped :mrapig:
Wonder if Bill can get his good friend Magic Johnson to appear on it.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

FMguru posted:

Wonder if Bill can get his good friend Magic Johnson to appear on it.

Well, he did get Doc Rivers so anything is possible.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The live audience is really weird and the animations are all pretty stupid, but just the low-key basketball talk isn't bad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's basically a televised podcast. I don't know if I'll gi out of my way to watch it, but I'd definitely listen to it while I was folding laundry or something.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I liked it, but I felt like I had already heard half of the jokes/anecdotes/metaphors from the Grantland articles and podcasts. I also disliked the studio audience and over-reliance on animations, but the show definitely has potential as a low-key show that comes before the 30-minute pregame shows or in the timespots that Outside the Lines got.

bearic fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 24, 2014

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
ESPN put up an amazing #hottake. The condescending tone the piece maintains throughout is really a work of art.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11759055/mlb-royals-ned-yost-keeps-managing-win

quote:

So there you go. It was complicated. It was confusing. And you know what else?

It worked.

Somehow or other, whether the outside world approved or not, it worked. So maybe that's all that mattered. How about that for a theory?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Simmons has returned to Friday picks column duties. And if you expected to keep quiet on Goodell from here on out, well...that didn't happen.

"One more thing: Before we get to the Week 8 picks, I wanted to clear up my 2014 record against the spread. After three weeks, I was sitting at 25-23 … and then I didn’t make picks in this space for four weeks. So what’s my real record?

Well, if Roger Goodell can claim that Ray Rice deceived him on June 16, or that Goodell didn’t know what was on that second elevator tape, then I’m claiming that I went 58-0 against the spread from Week 4 through Week 7."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/week-8-picks-a-gambling-epiphany/

That's the first discussion of Goodell in the column, but certainly not the last. Looks like he's not going to back down in the slightest. Could be interesting developments ahead.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Simmons has returned to Friday picks column duties. And if you expected to keep quiet on Goodell from here on out, well...that didn't happen.

"One more thing: Before we get to the Week 8 picks, I wanted to clear up my 2014 record against the spread. After three weeks, I was sitting at 25-23 … and then I didn’t make picks in this space for four weeks. So what’s my real record?

Well, if Roger Goodell can claim that Ray Rice deceived him on June 16, or that Goodell didn’t know what was on that second elevator tape, then I’m claiming that I went 58-0 against the spread from Week 4 through Week 7."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/week-8-picks-a-gambling-epiphany/

That's the first discussion of Goodell in the column, but certainly not the last. Looks like he's not going to back down in the slightest. Could be interesting developments ahead.

I've gradually lost interest in Simmons every year for about the last 5 years, but if he wants to constantly take shots at Roger Goodell, I fully support that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Man, the way Simmons is holding a grudge it's like he wanted a job in the NFL league office and got turned down.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It might indicate that he really is on the outs with ESPN and doesn't really give a gently caress if they suspend him again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Simmons didn't get in trouble for going after Goddell. He got in trouble for 1) bluntly calling him a liar and 2) daring his bosses at ESPN to do something to him for bluntly calling him a liar (and they did). Goddell is still fair game for criticism.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Seriously the majority of espn's coverage has been negative towards goodell. It was the stupid childish way he did it that got him in trouble. The column would have been pulled if they cared

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Seriously the majority of espn's coverage has been negative towards goodell. It was the stupid childish way he did it that got him in trouble. The column would have been pulled if they cared

It wasn't a column, it was a podcast and ESPN absolutely did pull it down and have been chasing after people reposting it on Youtube as well.

edit: Oh you mean the latest one, yeah I don't think they care about that

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mornacale posted:

Man, the way Simmons is holding a grudge it's like he wanted a job in the NFL league office and got turned down.

Simmons went after Stern all the time ranging from the silly (Stern rigged the Ewing draft, Jordan's first retirement was actually a suspension) to the serious (Stern turned a blind eye to PED usage in the NBA, Stern stole the Sonics from Seattle). I don't think this new gimmick of taking shots at Goodell signifies anything other than the man's an easy target.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Simmons went after Stern all the time ranging from the silly (Stern rigged the Ewing draft, Jordan's first retirement was actually a suspension) to the serious (Stern turned a blind eye to PED usage in the NBA, Stern stole the Sonics from Seattle). I don't think this new gimmick of taking shots at Goodell signifies anything other than the man's an easy target.

Which means that if Goodell goes on Simmons podcast, Simmons will not only stop criticizing him, but will become his biggest defender.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Eh, Simmons always maintained even after going after Stern that the good Stern did far outweighed the bad. Plus he asked Stern to admit he rigged the draft, which Stern brushed off. Also, he admitted that Stern's decision making in the last few years made him lose some respect for him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This bears cross-posting. John Clayton sent a present to Ron Wolfley for ending Brian Bosworth's career.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Holy poo poo. Also that top comment...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
John Clayton owns, even if I can't think of a single insightful thing he's ever said.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

John Clayton owns, even if I can't think of a single insightful thing he's ever said.
John Clayton is responsible for one of the best commercials of all time, so I don't give a poo poo if he's not insightful.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

joepinetree posted:

Which means that if Goodell goes on Simmons podcast, Simmons will not only stop criticizing him, but will become his biggest defender.

Simmons shat on Stern like a million times despite those interviews.

Any media member who sends a player a gift for ending another player's career because the player made his job hard is a piece of garbage. What a piece of poo poo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Crazy Ted posted:

John Clayton is responsible for one of the best commercials of all time, so I don't give a poo poo if he's not insightful.

It seriously never gets old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHZZ5bwASU

HEY MOM I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT :smuggo:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Simmons's last 10,000 word Brady/Manning rant is the Simmonsiest thing he's simmonsed in awhile.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Simmons's last 10,000 word Brady/Manning rant is the Simmonsiest thing he's simmonsed in awhile.

Guys, this is going to be my most idiotic theory yet!

*Tom Brady doesnt take charge because older sisters*

See, I told you!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bill Simmons is badass.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bill Simmons is my hero because he's created a wildly successful career out of being a massive goober homer baby

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Spoeank posted:

Bill Simmons is my hero because he's created a wildly successful career out of being a massive goober homer baby
This is why Now I Can Die In Peace is great, it's like watching the evolution of a dingus in real time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What on earth is this hot garbage? Did Kevin Durante gently caress this guy's girlfriend? Because the article itself doesn't give me any good reason why "Kevin Durante loving sucks".

http://deadspin.com/gently caress-kevin-durant-1654209438/

Yeah I know, it's Deadspin. But I don't expect vitriol like this from them unless it's Drew Magery talking about anything that normal human beings enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

To be fair, it's a really catchy song.