Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Not gonna lie, I snickered when I saw the DANGER on the wrists.

The fists are pretty dangerous as episode 7 taught us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Today was a supplies restock day since I want to pretty up my G-Self and touch up some of my older kits. I'm still in the beginning phases since I've yet to topcoat any of my kits. I might start doing that during winter break but who knows.

I'll also probably break down and order the rg exia because I loving love that suit

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about partially built kits?

Abigor always was one step removed from a Digimon® so I approve of this. The 1/144 EW bits work a lot better than I thought they would.

It is a goddamn tragedy about those blinding green, non-black-backed interior bits though. That is something you can do with all but the shittiest of brush paints, but you generally have to do it before the parts go together. It is good practice to follow even if your chosen color scheme does not violently clash with the actual molded plastic.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
New pictures of SOC GaoGaiGar have arrived:

Even S.D. GaiGar forms are possible.

Also, Robot Damashii Freedom and Justice Gundams:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 2, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

New pictures of SOC GaoGaiGar have arrived:

This thing is horrible.

In that I don't have it in my hands right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm experimenting with 00 Raiser to see if the main arm of the action base will sufficiently stabilize them without the little arm if you pose them flat-footed. I figure if his fat rear end doesn't tip over between now and when I get home, it'll be safe to use for when I do the Great Shelf of Tippy Bullshit (I want to do MG Unicorn and Sinanju to go with Nu and Sazabi, eventually).

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't built or bought any gunpla since RG were becoming popular but I kind of want this. I don't even know what it is.
Will it be fully colored like gunpla usually is or would it require paint?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Demicol posted:

I haven't built or bought any gunpla since RG were becoming popular but I kind of want this. I don't even know what it is.
Will it be fully colored like gunpla usually is or would it require paint?

Looked it up online and everything points to the kit... Im also curious what the heck this thing IS.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I think it's supposed to be a variation on Deep Striker Ex-S Gundam, but the size of it suggests it's bigger than a 1/100 scale. PG Deep Striker maybe? If so, holy gently caress that's gonna be a price tag with 3 zeros after it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it could pass for the 1/35 G-System Ex-s or whatever size that monster is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its a new Bearguy backpack.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahaha the gun is longer than the MG Ex-S box. Even I have to say no sometimes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

I think it's supposed to be a variation on Deep Striker Ex-S Gundam, but the size of it suggests it's bigger than a 1/100 scale. PG Deep Striker maybe? If so, holy gently caress that's gonna be a price tag with 3 zeros after it.

Actually it says it's 1/100 scale, in the triangle bit above the name.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bimmi posted:

It is a goddamn tragedy about those blinding green, non-black-backed interior bits though.

Yeah, I fixed that. The knees were one area I didn't think to touch since they're covered so thoroughly by the 'standing straight' pose. The green was made really obvious by my camera's flash but it wasn't too difficult to get a long brush loaded with black paint in the joint. The Abigor's got pretty fat legs.

I didn't get much done today, but I got a good start on one of the Dragon's Fangs.

I still have some major touch-ups to do but I think it came out alright!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Because I'm fairly new, I looked up the actual yen price for kits, to see how big the markup actually is, for being outside Japan.

It was a bad move because I just bummed myself out.

Anyway, rather than paying for expedited delivery, I'm now staggering purchases, so I get one a week, while the previous one is shipping.

This is how backlogs start, isn't it.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 3, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like others have said, yeah, it's a Mechanicore redesign of the Deep Striker, and it's apparently taking a lot more liberties than their Xi redesign, which looks amazing. Here's some more shots of it from earlier this year.

Though, even though I say I'm sold on it, I'm gonna wait on dropping the cash for it until I get their Xi in my hands. They sure can put out a great looking design, and I hear they love dropping metal parts in just for the hell of it, but I can't get over my worries about their quality. Especially for a kit that's less than 100 bucks.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 3, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Because I'm fairly new, I looked up the actual yen price for kits, to see how big the markup actually is, for being outside Japan.

It was a bad move because I just bummed myself out.

Anyway, rather than paying for expedited delivery, I'm now staggering purchases, so I get one a week, while the previous one is shipping.

This is how backlogs start, isn't it.

A thing to remember is that, except for limited kits, they never really leave production entirely with Bandai. They may not make any of a certain kit for a year or so but it will be back someday. It's not like you'll never see it again. So if you're buying exclusives, then keep on, but otherwise try to get only what you'll build on the next month or two.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So in the last thread I was building up the Kotobukiya kit of Metal Gear Rex... I finished both legs over the weekend. Started on the head parts but I'm holding off until I finish painting the Liquid Snake figure. I have never painted a 1/100 human before oh god this is difficult if you have shaky hands and like coffee.

The smoke grenade launcher caps are just regular old Humbrol bronze enamel to give them some visual pop. This kit is literally all black and brown. It'll look better with decals to break up the monotony, but they're all dry rub. Pray for me, whatever patron saint governs the building of Japanese war machine toys.

I'm probably going to take off that one armor piece and the kneecap with the hatches to progressive-sand them a bit cleaner. I can't unsee the meh nub removal on them. All nubs were solely removed/shaved/cleaned up with a curved Xacto blade, and oh man does that technique work very, very well.

Only thing I don't like, I tried to do a metallic semi-wash on the grilles. It looks bleh. I might just strip the whole thing and deal with it, unless anyone knows a good idea to make grilles look cool.

Meanwhile, if you ever want to be humbled in any skills you've built, try to do a no-grade 1/144 15-year old kit with seams that just don't wanna sand together cleanly.

It was four sprues - FOUR - and could probably be built in an hour if you don't try to extra-thin the seams and sand 'em cleanly.

I'm contemplating painting the kit in hopes of seam hiding... one leg sanded cleanly on both front and back, the other not so much. It also screams for some kind of detailing and panel lining. Also, gotta love pre-translucent plastic beam sabers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm so hype to see this finished. Rex is one of my favourite mech designs ever.

Bimmi posted:

This seems less true now than it used to. Things will go out of production for extremely long stretches, some to the point where you might as well call them discontinued. If someone's asking $40 for a 1986 Gundam ZZ kit, that tells me it's been a good long time since any have been seen at retail, and I believe we're now a couple years into the 00 series being basically unavailable anywhere.

So, my advice would be "buy what you want when you can and backlogs be damned" unless you're comfortable with the idea of possibly waiting several years for your next shot at it.

My current plan is, since I get paid weekly, to buy one a week, to compensate for the long deliveries. So it's offset when one arrives while the next is being delivered.

So I bought the 1/144 Grimoire earlier.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 3, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

A thing to remember is that, except for limited kits, they never really leave production entirely with Bandai. They may not make any of a certain kit for a year or so but it will be back someday.

This seems less true now than it used to. Things will go out of production for extremely long stretches, some to the point where you might as well call them discontinued. If someone's asking $40 for a 1986 Gundam ZZ kit, that tells me it's been a good long time since any have been seen at retail, and I believe we're now a couple years into the 00 series being basically unavailable anywhere.

So, my advice would be "buy what you want when you can and backlogs be damned" unless you're comfortable with the idea of possibly waiting several years for your next shot at it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone attempted a fade/gradient with an airbrush? I plan on doing the base of the Mercurius' beam saber red and gradienting a light pink. Is it really just as simple as very thin lines of color, with progressively less back-pressure on the brush?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MJP posted:

Has anyone attempted a fade/gradient with an airbrush? I plan on doing the base of the Mercurius' beam saber red and gradienting a light pink. Is it really just as simple as very thin lines of color, with progressively less back-pressure on the brush?

My understanding is that it's much more a matter of layering and paint opacity.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

signalnoise posted:

My understanding is that it's much more a matter of layering and paint opacity.

This.

To get a good gradient you want to spray successive thin layers. Building up layers builds opacity, and the more opaque a the color, the closer to that actual color that section is.

One thing you can do for a beam saber, for example, is spray down some chrome, and then clear red on top of it. The clear red will start off looking pink, and the more layers you spray the more toward red it will go. If you want a good effect, you just have to build it up. On the bright side, because the layers are thin, it's pretty impossible to screw up unless you mess up a lot of successive layers. But then you can always start over.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suzaku posted:

This.

To get a good gradient you want to spray successive thin layers. Building up layers builds opacity, and the more opaque a the color, the closer to that actual color that section is.

One thing you can do for a beam saber, for example, is spray down some chrome, and then clear red on top of it. The clear red will start off looking pink, and the more layers you spray the more toward red it will go. If you want a good effect, you just have to build it up. On the bright side, because the layers are thin, it's pretty impossible to screw up unless you mess up a lot of successive layers. But then you can always start over.

What if I want the core to be red and the edges pinkish? Would I just do the chrome/red candy coat, then do very thin pink layers progressively outwards?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I was all ready to blow my latest paycheck on a MG Tallgeese II and some more 1/100 X kits when I stopped, looked at the Gundam X shrine in the corner of my room, and realized I have enough kits.

It's like I'm learning!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MJP posted:

What if I want the core to be red and the edges pinkish? Would I just do the chrome/red candy coat, then do very thin pink layers progressively outwards?

You may want to use a regular brush

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

MJP posted:

If you wanted the candy look and wanted the red in the center, you'd spray the whole thing with a light coat of clear red to get the light pink color, and then spray subsequent coats over less and less area from the center each time. The more coats on an area, the darker it becomes, so you want the most coats in the center.

If you're not wanting to do a clear over chrome candy look, and you want to just use red and pink paint, you can do that, too. In that case, you have a couple of options. You can either paint the blade red, and start layering on pink for your gradient along the outside of the blade, or you can paint the whole thing pink, hit the center with red, build out that gradient, then do a second gradient with pink and white for the edge highlight. As long as you have a precise enough airbrush, the second method would be a little easier.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

I was all ready to blow my latest paycheck on a MG Tallgeese II and some more 1/100 X kits when I stopped, looked at the Gundam X shrine in the corner of my room, and realized I have enough kits.

It's like I'm learning!

But if you don't buy a new X kit how will you mount a Satellite Cannon on your Plan-B once you finish it?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ActionZero posted:

But if you don't buy a new X kit how will you mount a Satellite Cannon on your Plan-B once you finish it?

By using the double satellite cannon from the old 1/100 Double X, of course! Also, G-Falcon

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

BlitzBlast posted:

It's like I'm learning!

You should instead buy 8 1/144 X's and the resin kits to convert them into GX-Bits.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a good database for all the awesome NGs? Dalong is lacking, and a lot of the cooler looking odd suits and MSV apparently never got a HG release. Where's my HGCC Kapool, Bandai. :argh:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It's like I'm learning!

I know what those words mean, but in that order they make no sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Suzaku posted:

By using the double satellite cannon from the old 1/100 Double X, of course! Also, G-Falcon

Uznare posted:

You should instead buy 8 1/144 X's and the resin kits to convert them into GX-Bits.

You two joke, but I've already gotten both 1/100 DXs as well as two extra HGAW GX's with accompanying resin G-Bit conversions.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You two joke, but I've already gotten both 1/100 DXs as well as two extra HGAW GX's with accompanying resin G-Bit conversions.

I've gotta ask, why the fascination with the Gundam X?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Who's joking? I saw the Double X/G-Falcon set in one of your pics. :colbert:

I mean, if you're not going to use the satellite cannons as hip-mounted swing cannons a-la Freedom, then what ARE you going to do with them?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was actually planning on giving the 1/100 X Divider's backpack to the MG X, painting it Rick Aller's colors (aka turn the purple into teal) and then replacing it with the 1/100 Double X's backpack since I hosed up that kit so hard.

everythingWasBees posted:

I've gotta ask, why the fascination with the Gundam X?

Because it is a Good Show with Cool Designs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BlitzBlast posted:

Because it is a Good Show with Cool Designs.

Agreed; here's hoping for an HGAW Leopard at some point in 2015.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Agreed; here's hoping for an HGAW Leopard at some point in 2015.

At some point, it would be nice to get HG Daughtress and Jenice kits, too. The old LE kits aren't exactly great.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Muv-Luv-Alternative-Eclipse-Plastic/dp/B00KJB0LK4/ref=pd_ybh_1

just got pushed back to december 31st HMMMMM probably never coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Yay I'll be able to pick up my Turn X tomorrow!!! I'll be able to start it as soon as I finish my Deathscythe Hell! Let's see where I'm at with the Deathscythe

Oh.

Sanding sure takes a while. (Sorry for lovely camera phone pic)