Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gazpacho posted:

it seems to be a standard argument for lean init systems to say that "the kernel requires nothing from pid 1 except to be a process collector of last resort therefore that is all it must ever do"

there's never any thought of reading it the other way round, i.e. the kernel's special treatment of init, as long as it remains in place, constitutes a grant of responsibility for any feature that must hook into last-resort process collection to work correctly, and if this leads to bloat well maybe you should point the finger at the kernel and its unique treatment of this one process

tl;dr software architecture is politics

why cant we keep what we have now then since it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

kernel. It has the kernel of FreeBSD and the userspace of Debian.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

good troll

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sniep posted:

why cant we keep what we have now then since it works?
it "works" according to the POV that the whole system exists to glorify the kernel and if that's your POV well

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

gently caress wayland, mir is the best

also LOL no one gave a poo poo about wayland and it wasn't moving at all until Ubuntu said 'gently caress your stupid slow rear end, we'll make our own and it will be better' and Intel did one of those aww hell naww and wayland development make significant inroads.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was involved in porting GNOME to Wayland and working on Wayland way before Mir was announced. It was proceeding at a steady pace, and always has been, but nobody gave a poo poo about it.

Mir is serious demoware designed for mobile systems. It doesn't even support custom cursors.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
finally Linux gets a window server approximating what NeXT and NeWS had 25+ years ago to replace the X-Windows garbage

great job, high fives all around

wonder if there's a package for Raspberry Pi yet (Raspbian or whatever), and how much better it'll work

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol if you believe NeWS was a good idea

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"yeah let's just put a stack-based garbage collected language runtime in your high-performance display server responsible for rendering at 60fps. also everything is global and all applications can see all resources. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
quartz owns

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
http://forkfedora.org

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

hell yeah, I'll create my own fedora remix that comes with bc :getin:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

finally Linux gets a window server approximating what NeXT and NeWS had 25+ years ago to replace the X-Windows garbage

great job, high fives all around

wonder if there's a package for Raspberry Pi yet (Raspbian or whatever), and how much better it'll work

Weston.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Who made this?

Fork Debian had to of been made by a buttcoiner. They started the wiki.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it should rotate thru different configs to compare on each reload imo

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

would that make it gnu/debian/kfreebsd?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

the best part is that gnu/kfreebsd was one of two debian projects based on freebsd. they were in direct competition for some years

the other one attempted to use a freebsd libc/userspace with debian packaging.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

"yeah let's just put a stack-based garbage collected language runtime in your high-performance display server responsible for rendering at 60fps. also everything is global and all applications can see all resources. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?"

but enough about your javascript implementation of X

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
javascript X11 is pretty much the one good use of javascript ever

can't wait for it to reach the point where i can run gnome3 in the browser

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

javascript X11 is pretty much the one good use of javascript ever

can't wait for it to reach the point where i can run gnome3 in the browser

but my browser is already unusable

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Why hasn't the v8 engine been grafted onto the linus kernel yet

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

but my browser is already unusable

so was linux before gnome

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

Why hasn't the v8 engine been grafted onto the linus kernel yet

yeah why cant we write device drivers in javascript yet

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Tried that Wayland doohicky that Gnome can do now and it makes windows open and do stuff, but now I can't tap to click on my touchpad. Gotta use the lovely clicky bits on the touchpad. Some real competition for real OSes there.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

less than 2 months for 2014 to be the year of linux on the desktop

can we do it?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

we might manage 2 get it on one desktop

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
So everyone hates systemd but no one really knows why?

Also:

http://ubuntuce.com/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cardboard Box A posted:

obviously because it's not launchd

which good luck without the awesomeness that is Mach (or another microkernel with reasonable scheduling and IPC)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cardboard Box A posted:

imagine i took the effort to type the following in all caps with lots of exclamation marks and subliterate insults against poettering

it's not traditional unix arglebargle do one thing and do it well askldfjasdvn a monstrosity corrupting our pure bodily fluids buhhhhhhhh we are sysadmins hear us roar ffhfhfhfhfhfhf monolithic monolithic monolithic qwertyuiop real men write shell scripts

(it's the linux version of the tea party in other words)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

BobHoward posted:

(it's the linux version of the tea party in other words)
except mad hatter, not boston

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My question on debian-stable did not yield much laff. But this is the That they all used.

Also, one linked to an article that Pottering did not like Linus. Apparently high level kernel developers are fantasizing about killing him.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

How so? I've been using it as a day to day desktop for a few weeks now, and it works quite well.

with GDK_BACKEND=wayland? or with everything connecting via XWayland (which is apparently the default in 3.14) and just making GBS threads things up even more

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

i like systemd because anything that makes me less likely to look at bash scripts is good

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

agreed

it doesn't take very long to get used to the new conventions, but beardos gotta beard and get real mad at minutiae on the internet. oh no i have to spend a few hours learning something new, clearly the better use of time would be complaining + campaigning against it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
systemd im fine with

not a huge fan of journald over text logs tho

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

with GDK_BACKEND=wayland? or with everything connecting via XWayland (which is apparently the default in 3.14) and just making GBS threads things up even more

Either. It's not the default because some apps haven't been fully ported. We're looking at exposing APIs for apps to say they support native Wayland.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

IPvSH6T posted:

systemd im fine with

not a huge fan of journald over text logs tho

I think that's fair. I like the journal a lot more, personally, but it does take some getting used to. You can install rsyslog though and have it work fine.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box A posted:

Oh they know why, these are people who fell in love with Linux as a hip hop nerd os pasted together from awk scripts until it mostly kinda works, and as that fork fedora page demonstrates the init script system was one of the hippity hoppiest parts, if that gets cleaned up where will they find an outlet for their scripting creativity :stonk:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

forkfedora posted:

[ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ]
what is this, why is someone tagging strings with x to compare them in a bash script

i suppose it might be pulled in from sendmail upstream but i'm not finding it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

what is this, why is someone tagging strings with x to compare them in a bash script

i suppose it might be pulled in from sendmail upstream but i'm not finding it there

it's a cargo-cult practice you'll see a lot in bad scripts. i guess some shell once had a bug where empty variables caused a syntax error even if you quoted them or something? in any case it's unnecessary in that instance and whoever wrote that did not understand why they were doing it any more than you did.