Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
A few weeks back, a user came to me with a question. She brings a piece of paper with her, places it on my desk, and says that she's having trouble with this site (our intranet).

I was confused about why she didn't IM or email me the address, but at the same time it was kinda :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

joe944 posted:

... Losing just one more person would make my job VERY difficult and would almost put me into an always on-call situation, which I absolutely will not deal with. ...

You've just described my current situation, after having passed the last six months to alert the upper management on the huge pile of risks if this would arrive. Guess what? Did nothing.
Having strong technical competences on Dynamics Ax makes me more than confident I'll find something better paid so I tried to play nice. There are still* some people here I appreciate. But now, I'm pissed off, and so I've got two interviews in the next week (and a huge pile of opportunities, here in France having Ax / MorphX / X++ in you CV gets you a call in half a day.).

My regret : I haven't jumped off the board earlier. My contractual 3 full months before leaving will be really long, but seeing the alarmed face of some when they'll understood that playing with fire is a bad idea will be nice.

(*) I'll be the third to get out, and I count at least six other people on different services who are on the verge to do the same. Shame, they're the good ones. That's what you get in a company which doesn't understand the value of HR.

Get the gently caress out. Now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pram posted:

I just got this email

lol.

To be fair 15 years Linux sysadmin is quite possible. that's around when Linux hit the mainstream.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here work as a consultant or "infrastructure engineer" at a collocation for data centers? Had some interesting offers passed my way, seems like a good mix of private IT vs. public facing consulting/architecting. Kinda interested in what it's actually like.

Sounds loving awesome, but it's a day of the week ending in Y

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

feedmegin posted:

To be fair 15 years Linux sysadmin is quite possible. that's around when Linux hit the mainstream.

I think the idea is that a linux admin with 15 years of experience would never go for a contract to hire position.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

What's the job description?

code:
Develop and/or use tools for systems and infrastructure automation and operation
Freedom to use “the right tool for the job” whether that be PowerShell, Python, Ruby, or something else
Evaluates new emerging technologies (hardware and software)
Expand knowledge in the areas of new development and trends
Manage, automate, monitor and troubleshoot cloud and network infrastructures
Provide reliable, efficient, and secure Infrastructure implementation, design, and engineering
Provide documented architectures, engineering designs, and implementation plans for traditional and cloud-based solutions utilizing industry best practices
Maintain and ensure maximum sustained performance of networks, server, and storage systems
Be available for on-call support and be flexible to work on non-regular hours
Perform ongoing preventive and corrective maintenance
Dunno, probably should run a year or two at my current place. I do like the come in sometime between 9-10 or work from home.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

I think the idea is that a linux admin with 15 years of experience would never go for a contract to hire position.
The bigger :psyduck: is that people still believe there's a difference between 6 years and 15 years of Linux administration experience.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Maybe my view has been soured by the people I work with, but I feel like you'd be just as likely to get candidates that have had the same year of experience for 15 years, and will just do things 1999 style, rather than people that have been truly learning and growing for 15 years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

feedmegin posted:

I've been playing around with Linux since 1999 where do I apply :smugdog:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe my view has been soured by the people I work with, but I feel like you'd be just as likely to get candidates that have had the same year of experience for 15 years, and will just do things 1999 style, rather than people that have been truly learning and growing for 15 years.
I interviewed this guy a few years ago. He looked like Linus Torvalds, showed up to the interview in something halfway between a polo and a t-shirt, and his answer to every question I asked him about scripting was "I would use Perl." I asked him an algorithms question about how he would find all the duplicate files in a directory, and his answer was "I would use Perl," no elaboration given.

This works the other way too, though. You get these Javascript kids who want to use Node for everything, even simple scripts that would be 100% more readable in Ruby or Python or even Perl. Hammers and nails, and all that.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 2, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I get bored too quickly to do the same thing for 15 years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

psydude posted:

I get bored too quickly to do the same thing for 15 years.

You could do Linux admin for 15 years bouncing through all kinds of different stuff

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

You could do Linux admin for 15 years bouncing through all kinds of different stuff
And that's why asking for 15 years of Linux admin experience is dumb. Furthermore, what relevance is redhat linux 5 to today's distros? Unless, I guess they could still be running redhat Linux 5, which might explain their need.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone here ever taken an IT internship from their college? Would they recommend it?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Race Realists posted:

Has anyone here ever taken an IT intern course at their college? Would they recommend it?

A course to be a an intern? If anything, you should take an internship asap if you can get one.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

adorai posted:

And that's why asking for 15 years of Linux admin experience is dumb. Furthermore, what relevance is redhat linux 5 to today's distros? Unless, I guess they could still be running redhat Linux 5, which might explain their need.

That's a really good point that I never thought of. What good is 20 years of Linux sysadmin if you're stuck there and have never built a LAMP stack? Side note, I just now learned that the AMP in LAMP all released their first stable versions in '95. Was that coincidence?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

A course to be a an intern? If anything, you should take an internship asap if you can get one.

I meant to say plain IT internship from the college. My bad.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Race Realists posted:

Has anyone here ever taken an IT internship from their college? Would they recommend it?

Yeah if you aren't awful at whatever skill set the internship is for. We interned a dude in our security group and he didn't really know much of anything; as a result we couldn't involve him in anything fun.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recruiter question: I'm in a relatively small industry, and I've recently come across a job posting that interests me a lot. Unfortunately I'm very worried that if I submit my CV directly word will get back to my current company. Is there a protocol for this? I know a few recruiters who operate in this industry, would they be able to put me in with some kind of anonymity? Or is this just something I have to wear.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I started my current job last May and was immediately thrust into support work that had nothing to do with the Automation work I was hired for. I understood at the time. The department was short staffed and I've worked for the company before so I was familiar with the product. It was easier for me to support it on the short term than it was to train one of the new hires and deal with their growing pains. Cut to over a year later and I'm still working on those same support tasks. Small things related to the Automation work I was hired for would creep in on occasion but for the most part I was still doing the job I left 3 years ago. I'd point out areas where we could fix a system permanently instead of applying another band-aid but there was always some reason we couldn't move forward with it. A few months ago the company hired another ex-employee to be an Operations Architect and he starts rolling out Puppet and Rundeck and converting some of our bad manual processes to jobs that can be executed from self-service tools... effectively taking the roll I was originally hired for. Now I remember one of the reasons I left this company originally.

So I guess it's YoTJ time. I've got a third round interview on Friday. Wish me luck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

adorai posted:

I agree asking for 'x years experience in y' is stupid in general.

A better thing to say would be 'beginner/advanced/expert' level of x, but everyone is going to have dfferent definitions of that.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

BurgerQuest posted:

Recruiter question: I'm in a relatively small industry, and I've recently come across a job posting that interests me a lot. Unfortunately I'm very worried that if I submit my CV directly word will get back to my current company. Is there a protocol for this? I know a few recruiters who operate in this industry, would they be able to put me in with some kind of anonymity? Or is this just something I have to wear.

I would talk to the recruiter(s) and get their take. Explain your situation down to the "who can't find out" level and see if they can help you. It's pretty rare, but from time to time I'll submit a resume with last company and name removed, but it's usually piggybacked with a call over to the company explaining. It kinda necessitates an existing relationship with HR or the hiring manager. If your industry is that small though, it's not like it's going to be hard to figure out so ymmv.

This is where it really helps to have a trusted recruiter who will shoot you straight even if they can't help you.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks, I bit the bullet and submitted it anyway, since it was posted directly on a job site by the company itself rather than an agency. I just noted in my cover letter that confidentiality was appreciated given the size of our industry. Not much more I can do than that I think.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

BurgerQuest posted:

Thanks, I bit the bullet and submitted it anyway, since it was posted directly on a job site by the company itself rather than an agency. I just noted in my cover letter that confidentiality was appreciated given the size of our industry. Not much more I can do than that I think.

Can't win if ya don't play!

J
Jun 10, 2001

I want to get WDS/MDT setup. Unfortunately I'm facing a problem: volume licensing, or lack thereof. My understanding is that we don't have imaging rights without a volume license for windows. There is no way in hell I would ever get the $ approved to buy a volume license that would cover all of our computers, at least not going by the quotes I'm getting on Microsoft's site. Most of our computers are just running OEM keys. What's my best path to getting this environment converted over to a volume licensing setup? Do I just need to get a smaller volume license and then add more licenses to that count over time once I can get more $ approved?

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

J posted:

I want to get WDS/MDT setup. Unfortunately I'm facing a problem: volume licensing, or lack thereof. My understanding is that we don't have imaging rights without a volume license for windows. There is no way in hell I would ever get the $ approved to buy a volume license that would cover all of our computers, at least not going by the quotes I'm getting on Microsoft's site. Most of our computers are just running OEM keys. What's my best path to getting this environment converted over to a volume licensing setup? Do I just need to get a smaller volume license and then add more licenses to that count over time once I can get more $ approved?

As far as I'm aware you only need one Volume Licence (of the appropriate type) to give imaging rights for all your machines. See http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing-faq.aspx

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BigPaddy posted:

We have a Box corporate account and the security guy pitches a fit about it whenever possible.

Wait, what's their beef with Box?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Cheradenine posted:

As far as I'm aware you only need one Volume Licence (of the appropriate type) to give imaging rights for all your machines. See http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing-faq.aspx
I can confirm this as I went through it a few months ago. My reseller even got someone from Microsoft's licensing department on the phone to verify.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was wondering, is there any way in Office365 to restrict how people in the office can email-blast everyone? My last job didn't have a published All Users group but this place does, and with the turnover we have it's only a matter of time before someone sends an office wide nastygram and everyone is distracted for the rest of the day.

I know that recalling messages with Exchange hasn't really functioned for the past several decades, but maybe there's something else like a way to pre-screen emails if they are blasted to groups of people from non-management?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Does anybody know what software Microsoft or CBT Nuggets use for their training videos? I'm thinking specifically about CBT and their ability to scribble, write and zoom on their presentations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

I was wondering, is there any way in Office365 to restrict how people in the office can email-blast everyone? My last job didn't have a published All Users group but this place does, and with the turnover we have it's only a matter of time before someone sends an office wide nastygram and everyone is distracted for the rest of the day.

I know that recalling messages with Exchange hasn't really functioned for the past several decades, but maybe there's something else like a way to pre-screen emails if they are blasted to groups of people from non-management?

There's a couple of ways to do it. You can moderate the list, or restrict it to certain people.

We have a poo poo ton of 'everyone <function/location/business unit>' that we restrict heavily to basically corporate communications, HR, IT, and facilities. All the options are in the Exchange admin center under recipients/groups and of course via Powershell

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've been sitting through a presentation today and learned a new buzzword *~Hybridity~*

I'm glad I'm remote so I can bang my head against the desk without anyone seeing me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I've been sitting through a presentation today and learned a new buzzword *~Hybridity~*

I'm glad I'm remote so I can bang my head against the desk without anyone seeing me.
That sure sounds like a best-of-breed hybrid solution you've got there, Bob.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, my company used to have company cellphones as a perk for it's employees back in the glory days when it was still a startup, and didn't quite have the cash to pay everybody proper wages.

My boss (Head of IT) just pushed through to have that perk removed, and have the company stop paying for said cellphones.

The list of people with these phones is heavily skewed toward upper management, and entrenched people.

These fireworks are going to be glorious.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo... our people got pissed off when we went to Buy Your Own Device... It's all about saving money though, we drop like 40K a month on company cell phones.

Misogynist posted:

That sure sounds like a best-of-breed hybrid solution you've got there, Bob.

Uh huh

quote:

HYBRIDITY
hy·brid·i·ty
[hahy-brid-i-tee]
The seamless extension of on-premises infrastructure to the cloud that enables
application and data mobility while retaining control via existing people,processes, tooling, and automation

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

skipdogg posted:

*Azure team woots silently*

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So reach for the stars when applying for jobs etc etc, but if a job asks for a specific cert, but I don't have that cert (but am willing to get that cert and it's on my mental road map anyway), how should I spin that?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm getting paid extra to use my personal cell phone, $60 a month I think?

That's fair

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm required to put my cell phone in my email despite not being reimbursed, so I'm writing off 100% of it on taxes because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Would it be better just have it as a tax write-off as opposed to getting a stipend?