Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

General Battuta posted:

200k is long for a debut fantasy novel. Your sweetspot is like 100-120k and if you're really good you can edge up from there. There are some debut fantasy novels which are long, but that doesn't stop shorter from being better in a lot of ways, including your chances of getting a deal and the amount of money they have to spend to print your book.

Ah, yeah, from a first novel perspective that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't thinking about it necessarily from that angle.

Speaking of, how long is yours if you don't mind my asking? If you're allowed to divulge such information, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

gently caress that, nobody cares about word counts. What's important is the typeface. What's your book going to be set in, Battuta? Verdana Modern? Tahoma Light? If I see a single loving serif on those pages, I will end you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I find waiting awhile useful. During that interim, I forget what I meant to write; that permits me, when I return to the draft, to find stupid errors (for example, "loaves" where I meant to write "loves") and unclear phrases more easily. Otherwise I would probably gloss over mistakes, only seeing what I'd intended to write, and miss vague portions, understanding what I meant and failing some critical theory of mind poo poo since nobody else will know what the hell I was going for.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
For 200k guy:

Cut the novel in half, then work on another 100k for a trilogy.

Don't try an wrap up the first 100k in any meaningful way. Just cut it in half wherever the 100k mark is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ah, yeah, from a first novel perspective that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't thinking about it necessarily from that angle.

Speaking of, how long is yours if you don't mind my asking? If you're allowed to divulge such information, of course.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

gently caress that, nobody cares about word counts. What's important is the typeface. What's your book going to be set in, Battuta? Verdana Modern? Tahoma Light? If I see a single loving serif on those pages, I will end you.

Right now it's 140k and it's entirely in Courier New :v: It gained 20k in edits because I got permission to do a few more scenes I wanted, and it'll lose the Courier when it actually gets typeset.

Space from a work is really valuable. It helps you detect errors and weak passages like RedTonic said, and I think it's the only way to get a sense for the shape and pacing of a novel-length work - especially if you've been jumping around the manuscript pruning and shoring things up. It's just a question of whether you think you'll lose all your energy and drift off.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 31, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PoshAlligator posted:

For 200k guy:

Cut the novel in half, then work on another 100k for a trilogy.

Don't try an wrap up the first 100k in any meaningful way. Just cut it in half wherever the 100k mark is.

Are you Brent Weeks? :aaa:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Haha at first I thought you meant you gained 20k after editing and was like, "That's not how it's supposed to work!" but after reading it a few times I realized what you were saying.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 31, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Haha at first I thought you meant you gained 20k after editing and was like, "That's not how it's supposed to work!" but after reading it a few times I realized what you were saying.

No, that's what I meant! Now we can use this editorial feedback to improve my post :eng101:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

General Battuta posted:

No, that's what I meant! Now we can use this editorial feedback to improve my post :eng101:

Well then, nevermind! How did that happen? Did you feel inclined/did your editors ask for more backstory and whatnot?

Moved this post down here from my previous to keep things chronological.

At about what stage of polish would you say your manuscript was at when you first started querying it around? I ask because the last novel I wrote--which, at the time, I thought would be the first I'd attempt to get published--ended up falling into that lovely pit of death-by-editing hell. I'm hoping my next project goes better, and considering I'm actually outlining the story this time instead of going full-throttle discovery mode, I'm confident it will, but I'm still wary of falling into the same editing trap.

I know it's probably hard to quantify, since "polish" is kind of an ambiguous idea that changes from writer to writer based on how they feel they're at with a specific story, so maybe it's easier to ask: when do you know you've done the best you can with a story?

Edit: that's also basically an impossible question to answer so no worries if you're unable to.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 31, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Right now it's 140k and it's entirely in Courier New :v:
For the sake of your own sanity, change it before you start reading. Ignore that, for some reason I read it as Comic Sans.

I'd also heard 100k is a good target for fantasy, so it might be an idea to see if there's somewhere around the 100k mark you can split it - just to make the debut a little less daunting, if nothing else.

Finally I just checked King's On Writing and he recommends 'two drafts and a polish', and leaving it for six weeks before editing. Bear in mind though that he's a professional who has nowt else to do all day and also recommends 2k words a day.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 31, 2014

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For the sake of your own sanity, change it before you start reading.

GB's novel is actually legit for-real getting published, so his publisher/editor probably asked him to do it in Courier for their own purposes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Question for all of you: How do you decide when to give up on a piece you're writing? I'm writing a short story to get the engine going again, and the further it goes, the clearer it is that there's no weight to the story and it's a string of "thing happens, nobody cares". I've been trying for the past few weeks to hammer in new ideas into it that will make it less dry and bland, but nothing's coming to light. It's occurred to me to gloss over that and just type out words to focus on other aspects like prose and dialogue, but then again, why not try to sharpen those skills on a story I actually care about?

Basically, where's the tipping point between "This can be salvaged in future drafts" and "gently caress it, next idea"?

re editing: After I completed NaNoWriMo in 2012, I reread it and nearly deleted the whole thing. It took me two years to be able to go back to it and finally admit that there were enough good ideas in there to merit a second draft. King's recommendation of six month is probably a bit much, and it's going to vary from person to person, but definitely give it a week minimum.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

inthesto posted:

Question for all of you: How do you decide when to give up on a piece you're writing? I'm writing a short story to get the engine going again, and the further it goes, the clearer it is that there's no weight to the story and it's a string of "thing happens, nobody cares". I've been trying for the past few weeks to hammer in new ideas into it that will make it less dry and bland, but nothing's coming to light. It's occurred to me to gloss over that and just type out words to focus on other aspects like prose and dialogue, but then again, why not try to sharpen those skills on a story I actually care about?

Basically, where's the tipping point between "This can be salvaged in future drafts" and "gently caress it, next idea"?
minimum.

Honestly, it seems like you've reached it and I think you know you have. Scrap it and move on.

That's a bit odd, seeing as I just made a post not too long ago talking about how I edited a piece to death, but if you're not seeing substantial progress despite the edits you're making (and if it's becoming less and less enjoyable to the point where you loath doing it), then it's definitely time to move on. And you know what? That's okay. Not every story is meant to get published. Hell, most stories aren't meant to get published. I have the fortune of knowing a couple successful authors in real life and both of them have novels in their desk or on their hard drives that'll never see the light of day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GB's novel is actually legit for-real getting published, so his publisher/editor probably asked him to do it in Courier for their own purposes.
I read it as Comic Sans :doh:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I read it as Comic Sans :doh:

Now that would be something!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Somehow I unbookmarked this thread over a month ago and I was thinking how weird it was that no one posts anymore. Oops. How have you guys been? I see Sithsaber got banned. I want to get plugged into the Thunderdome.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I've been planning on doing NaNo all October and hadn't really thought much about it until this morning. In the shower I think I worked out the loose structure of the whole thing and that's pretty neat, considering I had hoped to hammer it out before starting to write last month. Maybe it's easier to come up with ideas if you can let yourself just write it.

Also I think everything about is really lame but I'm going to write it anyway and worry about making it good later. I think NaNo is a good drive to let myself do that as that's not how I usually operate.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What is this fascination everyone but me has with sans serif?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Look at that, it is November. That's a terrible month to have as a writing month for college students. I'm still on the outlining phase of my novel. I'm on a spreadsheet creating every scene in order and figuring out what happens. It's not very much fun but I keep stalling out on past projects by getting completely lost in the details, so I think I need it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm going to do nano-lite. 1k a day, which should still leave me time to pump out a 'romance' short every other week.

Hell, it's working out better than job seekers. Just.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
How many pages per thousand words are books, usually?

Like, NaNo has people writing 50k, how many pages is that?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Depends a bit on typeface, page size, etc., but generally speaking, about 250-300 words per page.

So a Nano novel would be in the 200 page ballpark.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Liam Emsa posted:

How many pages per thousand words are books, usually?

Like, NaNo has people writing 50k, how many pages is that?

My 98k novel was 318 double spaced pages (TNR, 12 pt font) so 50k would be between 150-175

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
So I've been feeling pretty lovely and figure that now's as good a time as any to get back into editing. How do people get their lazy bones into gear when they have no idea how to edit? I've got some really good feedback, and I know what I want to do, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to restructure things and cut stuff out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm aiming for 500 words a day minimum with no advanced prep.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

I'm having a little trouble with tense while writing. Is the following sentence using past-tense correctly?

"She released an audible sigh of relief as he shrugged in resignation, his weary voice and slumped posture indicating that he was tired of the conversation."

It's mostly the -indicating- that makes me worry that I am messing up tense.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Looks correct to me, at least in that respect. "-ings" can be overused, and when they do it can make the tense look murky, but grammatically, and in small doses, they're fine.

It is cluttered, though. For one thing, I'd remove "as" and add a period. The way it is now, "She" looks like she's supposed to be the subject, but then "he" starts to dominate the rest of the sentence. It'd work better as two.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

There's nothing grammatically wrong with it. Stylistically, on the other hand, it's cluttered. You really shouldn't load your sentences up with that many clauses.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Subway Ninja posted:

"She released an audible sigh of relief as he shrugged in resignation, his weary voice and slumped posture indicating that he was tired of the conversation."

"released an audible" is completely pointless. "She sighed" means the exact same thing.

"in resignation" is telling. And did he really shrug as she sighed, or did one thing happened before the other? People abuse "as" too much because they think it sounds nice, but it muddles meaning.

"his weary voice" "slumped posture" and "indicating he was tired of the conversation" are all telling.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
He shrugged, then she sighed.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Hse shrugighed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Subway Ninja posted:

She released an audible sigh of relief as he shrugged in resignation, his weary voice and slumped posture indicating that he was tired of the conversation.
"He shrugged in resignation. She sighed, relieved. It was over. His weary voice and slumped posture told her he was tired of the conversation."

Maybe it's just the 4am editing talking, but I mentally replaced 'sighed' with 'grunted like Tim Taylor' and woke up my wife laughing.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey how do I stop not writing. I need to know asap thanks.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Stop playing video games.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

I'd suggest you try sitting down and writing. Or stand, whatever works for you!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Martello posted:

Literally this.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

I don't

I don't understand

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I have to basically put myself into solitary confinement to break a bad jag of not writing. Like, unplug my cable router, put my phone in airplaine mode in the other room, and tell everyone not to bother me for an evening. And then when I have no other choice but to write, I still dick around for a couple hours before I bring myself to start.

The good news is that once I start writing I get into a grove and its easier to keep working, and it's easier to come back to the story the next time, and the next time. But starting is hard.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Y'all need to set a daily time aside just to write and nothing else, preferably a time when you almost never have anything else going on and nothing to distract you.

For me, that time is 5 AM to 6:30 AM (so right when I wake up basically). I have a coffee pot set to auto-brew at 4:40, then I get up at 4:50, grab a mug and sit my rear end down. Hours adjust a bit on the weekend based on how late I stay up or if I'm too hungover to write (which does occasionally happen, but I'm writing every day during the week so I don't beat myself up over it).

Get into the habit of making that your dedicated writing time every single day and eventually you'll reach the point where you basically can't get through your day without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

When I finish writing for the day I email a backup copy to myself. Every single day of July has an email from myself with a doc file attached. So in a weird perverse way, you wind up making a game where you want to ensure that you have a new backup in your inbox at the end of each day. It's enough to make you go "...Well gently caress it I might as well do a bit."

• Locked thread