Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
If I checked my VIN and it qualifies for the recall, but my car isn't showing any symptoms (yet), should I still try and go ahead with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ringo Star Get posted:

If I checked my VIN and it qualifies for the recall, but my car isn't showing any symptoms (yet), should I still try and go ahead with it?

Yes, because when you put the clutch in going 55 mph and the car dies, it is pretty unnerving.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Only time I've run out of gas was in my 95 and the gas gauge loving lied to me. It wasn't even half into the red :(

Just be glad you didn't run a diesel out of fuel.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, because when you put the clutch in going 55 mph and the car dies, it is pretty unnerving.

I don't know, having a bunch of underpaid mechanics screw with my cars central nervous system for no specific reason sounds risky.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

howling_mad posted:

I don't know, having a bunch of underpaid mechanics screw with my cars central nervous system for no specific reason sounds risky.

lolol having the people that are trained to do the proper repairs on my car (for free!) is too scary, I think I'll just drive around until the problem causes an accident and solves the issue for me :v:

good plan

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

howling_mad posted:

The recall is for vehicles with the 2.0 Ecoboost engines, which includes a lot of Fusions/Escapes/other. It's not like they have never seen the engine or the problem.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

howling_mad posted:

You cannot be serious

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

whitey delenda est posted:

You cannot be serious

He sounds

howling mad

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Only time I've run out of gas was in my 95 and the gas gauge loving lied to me. It wasn't even half into the red :(

Just be glad you didn't run a diesel out of fuel.

I've done that before, and I keep a 5/8 wrench in both trucks because of it.

Also, holy poo poo did today make up for yesterday.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

howling_mad posted:

versus the guys on the line that built the car in the first place who are basically NASA guys right

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Do any AI peeps have current or previous experience of the EP3 Civic Type R (the thread-appropriate 01-06 "breadvan")?

They are currently amazing value in the UK, but even amongst owners opinion seems to be completely divided. Either they're totally reliable, bonkers and the best car ever (bar a few easily fixable foibles), or they're the DC5/Accord Type R's retarded cousin, torque steer worse than a Viggen (!) and handling is either wild understeer or snap-oversteer into a tree.

I won't realistically be able to throw one around my local b-roads unsupervised before I buy, so I thought I would ask goons - do they actually go around corners? Are they all grip, like your boring modern cars, or can you actually slide them around in the space available on a normal road?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Saga posted:

Do any AI peeps have current or previous experience of the EP3 Civic Type R (the thread-appropriate 01-06 "breadvan")?

They are currently amazing value in the UK, but even amongst owners opinion seems to be completely divided. Either they're totally reliable, bonkers and the best car ever (bar a few easily fixable foibles), or they're the DC5/Accord Type R's retarded cousin, torque steer worse than a Viggen (!) and handling is either wild understeer or snap-oversteer into a tree.

I won't realistically be able to throw one around my local b-roads unsupervised before I buy, so I thought I would ask goons - do they actually go around corners? Are they all grip, like your boring modern cars, or can you actually slide them around in the space available on a normal road?

'All grip' is a fairly accurate description from the few I've driven, but not these did all have fairly expensive and high quality tyres on (not sure what one would be like on Supercats or whatever the UK equivalent is)

I didn't notice any real torque steer but that's probably because there isn't a lot of torque (I was cross shopping cars with a lot more of that like the 3 MPS)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dissss posted:

'All grip' is a fairly accurate description from the few I've driven, but not these did all have fairly expensive and high quality tyres on (not sure what one would be like on Supercats or whatever the UK equivalent is)

I didn't notice any real torque steer but that's probably because there isn't a lot of torque (I was cross shopping cars with a lot more of that like the 3 MPS)

Thanks!

That sounds a bit disappointing, as anything with a lot of grip will be useless on our B-roads. You really need something that will reach its grip limit at reasonable speeds (other than by plowing on in understeer), otherwise you'll end up bored, dangerous or more likely both. From there, it's a short step to posting on VW Vortex.

We had a Clio 182 for a while, and while the engine was nice, with the stock tyres the chassis basically had the same problem of too much grip. My Impreza has much less, which means, despite the AWD, you can drift it round a corner going half the speed. Unfortunately, it also has the crash safety of most things old enough to handle that well, and I've got two kids to cart around.

I might be best just upgrading the 'pretzel to a new-age WRX estate I mean hot hatch. I've had a go on a mate's PPP, and it did seem to have the same basic balance to it as the older car. My only concern is that my lovely non-turbo Impreza is basically indestructible, whereas with a used WRX I'm presumably just waiting for a head gasket, big-end bearing or ring to let go.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
People (at least think they) want grip, and hotter cars usually don't have less grip, so unless you buy a poverty spec 60hp Pug, I think you're poo poo out of luck.

PS. Just get a Superduke and come back to CA.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Less grip may be more fun to sling it around, but it's mechanically inferior.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

People (at least think they) want grip, and hotter cars usually don't have less grip, so unless you buy a poverty spec 60hp Pug, I think you're poo poo out of luck.

PS. Just get a Superduke and come back to CA.

People apparently do want more grip, just not me. :) I checked with my tame racing driver friend last night and was told the CTR is actually lots of fun and very "chuckable", so it's probably a good choice.

I am on a temporary break from road bikes for Reasons (also because I'm mostly cycling to work), but if I think I will actually have enough time to use it, I'll pick up another track bike early next year. Probably an older GSX-R 750. Right now I don't even have enough time to get my trials bike back together, let alone go riding. :ohdear:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A Ruf CTR certainly is HOT, but it's not a hatch. :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Since you are in a place where you can get an EP3 Type R I am assuming you could also get an EK9 Type R too?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nodoze posted:

Since you are in a place where you can get an EP3 Type R I am assuming you could also get an EK9 Type R too?

They're a lot harder to get because the model is older now, a large number of them got tracked or otherwise ruined and they never made very many of them in the first place.

Would be easier to get a DC2-R because while the first two points apply they did make a tonne more of them in the first place

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dissss posted:

They're a lot harder to get because the model is older now, a large number of them got tracked or otherwise ruined and they never made very many of them in the first place.

Would be easier to get a DC2-R because while the first two points apply they did make a tonne more of them in the first place

Yes, and the DC2 is obviously the choice for anyone who wants an entertaining chassis, but I'm only looking at newer cars because I've got two kids to cart around and want that sweet, sweet NCAP rating. :gizz: The Civic Type R is a four-star car and I'm also looking at the Megane R26, which gets the full five stars.

Also, while I haven't checked, I suspect a good DC2 Type R costs more than a decent EP3. EP3s, like early Renaultsport Meganes, now go for something like £2,500 - £4,000. DC5s are literally twice that and I assume DC2s are not going to be too far off, but with bonus Sockington levels of corrosion.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

More Mazdaspeed3 speculation, again including the possibility of an AWD:

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/medium-passenger/mazda-planning-a-sporty-future-46861

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mazda 6 coupe & diesel hybrid, MS3, RX-9 are all mentioned in there. I'm not holding my breath.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Mazda 6 coupe & diesel hybrid, MS3, RX-9 are all mentioned in there. I'm not holding my breath.

I've read an article every few months for the last 2 years that makes the same claims as that one.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I'm guardedly optimistic about 2016 timing for the MS3, which Motor Trend also had a piece on a while back, since it will have been three years since a Mazdaspeed was in the lineup, but yes, as noted, it's all speculation at this point.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

versus the guys on the line that built the car in the first place who are basically NASA guys right

The Focus ST forums seem to think its not worth getting done if you haven't experienced it yet.

I'm not sure about you but my past dealer experiences, at both of my local dealerships, haven't been great. Damage or nicks to the sill, scratches on the door, worst of all moving my drat seat.

Get it done if you have a good relationship with your dealer, but if they screw something up you kind of invited it. There's several I shouldn't have stories floating around right now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

howling_mad posted:

The Focus ST forums seem to think its not worth getting done if you haven't experienced it yet.

I'm not sure about you but my past dealer experiences, at both of my local dealerships, haven't been great. Damage or nicks to the sill, scratches on the door, worst of all moving my drat seat.

Get it done if you have a good relationship with your dealer, but if they screw something up you kind of invited it. There's several I shouldn't have stories floating around right now.

I don't think the FST guys say don't get it done. I think they say if your car is affected, get it done ASAP because some of those guys have had their cars stall and die at highway speeds (pro tip, your power steering stops working if your car isn't on), or in the middle of busy intersections with through traffic coming.

Basically, (in affected cars) your wiring harness could go at any moment, at best just stranding you somewhere, and at worst causing you to get into an accident. I'm bringing my car in as soon as I get the time, personally.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I personally find having to reposition my (power) seat so irritating I'd just rather stall out on the interstate and plow into a barrier. :rolleyes:

why would you not get a recall service performed? even if they gently caress something up you go right back and say "I'm under warranty you're going to lick my dick until you get it right."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bobfather posted:

I don't think the FST guys say don't get it done. I think they say if your car is affected, get it done ASAP because some of those guys have had their cars stall and die at highway speeds (pro tip, your power steering stops working if your car isn't on), or in the middle of busy intersections with through traffic coming.

Basically, (in affected cars) your wiring harness could go at any moment, at best just stranding you somewhere, and at worst causing you to get into an accident. I'm bringing my car in as soon as I get the time, personally.

Ford recalls are usually best to get done immediately. Their history of fuckups usually involve the cars going up in flames.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I personally find having to reposition my (power) seat so irritating I'd just rather stall out on the interstate and plow into a barrier. :rolleyes:

why would you not get a recall service performed? even if they gently caress something up you go right back and say "I'm under warranty you're going to lick my dick until you get it right."

This x1000. Get it done and if they screw something up, deal with it then. It's a much better side effect than the possibility of crashing b/c of the recall.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

That may be the only comment that gets them to do something right the first time.

I'm a bit soured by my past experiences but I'll get it done once I'm done traveling for business.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Anyone with a Fiesta/ST have any luck with weathertech (or other serious) floormats? I want to pick up a set for my FiST but a few people on the fiesta forum say they hit the clutch pedal…

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Voltage posted:

Anyone with a Fiesta/ST have any luck with weathertech (or other serious) floormats? I want to pick up a set for my FiST but a few people on the fiesta forum say they hit the clutch pedal…

I have WeatherTechs in my 5spd SES and they've been great. They don't interfere with the clutch at all but this may be different for the ST.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

howling_mad posted:

This is super loving stupid top to bottom, but especially the "THE DEALER MOVED MY SEAT :qq:" poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bobfather posted:

get it done ASAP because some of those guys have had their cars stall and die at highway speeds

This happened to me after not showing any symptoms. It was unnerving. The service took about an hour fifteen keys-to-keys, book time of 1.5 hrs. No issues so far, and I have noticed that idle RPMs aren't dipping as low when I put in the clutch so I think it's probably fixed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Seriously guys. The problem is bad enough that Cobb has raised the RPM limit at idle for their tunes to 900 RPM to help guys' cars from stalling.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

howling_mad posted:

worst of all moving my drat seat.

ahahaha get the gently caress out

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The moving my seat discussion makes me realize how awesome memory seat settings are. Both of our Fords have the power seat memory features and I tied them to our keys. As soon as I unlock my car with the remote the seat and side mirrors go back to my preset. If my wife drives my car the only thing I have to change is the rear view mirror. Same when I drive her car. I totally forgot moving the seat was a thing.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Mine took about a week to get an appointment and they had to keep it over night, but they did some other TSB while it was in, so whatever.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just called today about the recall and said they'll perform it this Friday. Luckily I was already bringing my car in for an oil change, instrument cluster issues (lots of rattling), and getting new wipers (thank you Owner Rewards).

I've had some stalling before and its incredibly scary for it to happen at an intersection, hopefully this solves the issue. What do they technically do with the wiring harness anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Terrible Robot posted:

ahahaha get the gently caress out

At least you seemed to understand that was sarcasm.

But honestly, I like my seat placement. Last time I took it in I'm fairly certain they purposely changed all of the settings. That poo poo is annoying.

Move it back or fourth of you must, but screwing with the lumbar and poo poo? Come on man.