Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im actually surprised ibm doesnt release 7 in x86

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes that is the point

smf fixed the rc system without the need to break logging, replace init, set up a system dbus etc etc
how can you avoid replacing init in this when it has the exclusive privilege of adopting orphaned processes (e: and therefore detecting their termination 100% reliably)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

how can you avoid replacing init in this when it has the exclusive privilege of adopting orphaned processes

well, step 1 is writing a gigantic manifesto about forking debian

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

I remember when I was in college and I thought c/c++ development was the most noble calling.

What I'm saying is I was p. loving stupid when I was young.

It's more noble than being a UNIX cj which is only a bit more noble than windows janitorial services.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

how can you avoid replacing init in this when it has the exclusive privilege of adopting orphaned processes (e: and therefore detecting their termination 100% reliably)

the solaris equivalent of cgroups, "process contracts," takes care of this

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's more noble than being a UNIX cj which is only a bit more noble than windows janitorial services.

uhh no its unix janitor -> switch janitor -> storage janitor -> tape janitor -> windows janitor

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the solaris equivalent of cgroups, "process contracts," takes care of this

so you're saying that instead of using the existing PID 1 orphaned process reaping functionality of the Linux kernel, systemd should have implemented an entirely new orphaned process reaping system in the Linux kernel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

so you're saying that instead of using the existing PID 1 orphaned process reaping functionality of the Linux kernel, systemd should have implemented an entirely new orphaned process reaping system in the Linux kernel

cgroups should have included that feature, yes

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 3, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and this is somehow systemd's fault

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
cgroups does include that feature.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

It's funny to see you guys arguing about systd and solaris and whatever a cgroup is.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

cgroups does include that feature.

not really, it has a "this group is now empty" notification, but not a "the one PID that actually matters because it is the master server process and not just some worker has died" notification

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

and this is somehow systemd's fault

systemd + linux are a system, they were designed together. systemd is not portable. there have already been kernel patches only for systemd.

so yeah i expect them to have consciously designed the thing, not just hack around however it currently works

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you still haven't explained why doing it in PID 1 is bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at describing aix or hp-ux in the present tense
yeah ..... lol

I'm just gonna sit here and sob gently ok

(actually I think we're finally going to retire the last hpux server next year. rip bespoke database embodying the finest principles of early 1980s design)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
youre not using nonstop? lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Old systems never die, they just get virtualized

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Though not at amazon, I mean everything has been virtualized but they take a Douglas Adams approach to os obselescence. They announce a date on a mailing list that you're supposed to just know about and any system running an old os after that just gets shut off by ops, unless it has a special dispensation. I guess that's why they're not running the os they started with (hpux)

They handle just p much every aspect of IT policy this way, only os upgrades involve summary shutoff, otherwise you're just told when you go to scale your systems that you can't have that anymore

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 3, 2014

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Look at thos fuking UPS pilot clowns. Pilot? more like Long haul truckers of the sky.

last place I worked was a consultancy with profit sharing that enabled me to earn an ungodly amount of money. We took turns cleaning the office restroom and one guy had the messiest shits. Who cares if you are scrubbing the poo poo off a toilet or the poo poo bits off a server as long as you make enough to let you do what you want outside of work.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

keyvin posted:

Look at thos fuking UPS pilot clowns. Pilot? more like Long haul truckers of the sky.

last place I worked was a consultancy with profit sharing that enabled me to earn an ungodly amount of money. We took turns cleaning the office restroom and one guy had the messiest shits. Who cares if you are scrubbing the poo poo off a toilet or the poo poo bits off a server as long as you make enough to let you do what you want outside of work.

drat u r seriously cool as hell. :drat:

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

keyvin posted:

alienated_labor.txt

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
btw nerds, should I be using KDE or GNOME nowadays?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Greed is eternal posted:

dwm

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Greed is eternal posted:

no

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Greed is eternal posted:

osx

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

can you use kde or gnome on osx

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

quote:

KDE does not currently provide binary downloads for Mac OSX. Instead you need to build KDE software for yourself from source. The easiest way to do this is to use one of the Mac build systems which will automatically resolve all the dependencies for you. Unfortunately, this can be a very long process, taking up to 2 or more days. As at December 2012 MacPorts is currently recommended as it is the most up-to-date.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Greed is eternal posted:

i recommend you build your own desktop environment by picking a good window manager like fvwm2 or openbox and then adding things like a panel and applets to taste (xfce's panel is quite good). tie it all together with a simple ~/.xinitrc and you're set!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

use icewm for that windows 95 vibe

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Greed is eternal posted:

both of these are piss garbage (but KDE is better because despite being a janky neon collection of sperg bait, it's at least usable). Mate and XFCE are relatively stable and are designed for mouse and keyboard use, not some fictional linux tablet that will never exist, use one of those.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Soricidus posted:

i recommend you build your own desktop environment by picking a good window manager like fvwm2 or openbox and then adding things like a panel and applets to taste (xfce's panel is quite good). tie it all together with a simple ~/.xinitrc and you're set!

Are you from the past??!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Greed is eternal posted:

just build linux from scratch and you'll give up before you get there and not have to worry about it.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

quote:

MATE
lol how the gently caress is this real. GNOME 2 lmao

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Soricidus posted:

:agreed:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome 3 is epically ftw

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

gnome 3 is epically ftw

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Greed is eternal posted:

Are you from the past??!

probably recommends arch linux for everyday use also

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

it took me 15 minutes to configure xsession for my snowflake wm, i don't use bad linuxes though

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i don't want to know what xsession even is thank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

probably recommends arch linux for everyday use also