Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

28) Fuckin' Blood Feast (1963)- "It belongs in a museum!"
:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Quite possibly my favorite Corman-directed flick, A Bucket Of Blood tells the story of Walter Paisley, a bus-boy at a beatnik cafe who wishes he could create some piece of art to make the customers respect him. An accident with a knife while working in clay results in a surprise hit at the cafe, leading Walter to craft grislier pieces to hold on to the interest people show in him.
As a neat piece of trivia, the same sets were used for Little Shop of Horrors, and there's a very similar vibe between the two films, as they both feature a protagonist who's unsure of himself and lucks into fame by way of violence. Lots of ways to interpret the story, but there's plenty of overt jokes on the beatniks' self-important posturing. A nice cap on this month's line-up for me.

Babs Johnson
Jun 26, 2006

Boise, Idaho -
get ready!

Darthemed posted:

Quite possibly my favorite Corman-directed flick, A Bucket Of Blood tells the story of Walter Paisley, a bus-boy at a beatnik cafe who wishes he could create some piece of art to make the customers respect him. An accident with a knife while working in clay results in a surprise hit at the cafe, leading Walter to craft grislier pieces to hold on to the interest people show in him.
As a neat piece of trivia, the same sets were used for Little Shop of Horrors, and there's a very similar vibe between the two films, as they both feature a protagonist who's unsure of himself and lucks into fame by way of violence. Lots of ways to interpret the story, but there's plenty of overt jokes on the beatniks' self-important posturing. A nice cap on this month's line-up for me.

I love this movie to pieces and I can't believe it was just thrown together so quickly, the script and characters are so full of life. Walter Paisley is one of the most sympathetic murderers ever portrayed. The real sick aspect of the movie is the character who knows what is going on but does nothing. And the guy playing the pretentious beat poet also wrote all of his own poetry for the movie, it's actually pretty good!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

It's not over yet! The very last Scream Stream broadcasts on Halloween! :spooky: We're doing things a little differently, mostly because, well, I do hope most people won't be able to tune in for a full showing on All Hallow's Eve. Y'all should have better things to do! (Unless you're handing out candy or something!)

So I'll be showing things that are easy to drop in and out of, which mostly means some anthologies. I'll also be starting much earlier than usual! You could conceivably have this running in the background during a Halloween party, if you're into that sort of thing. So, starting at 5 PM Eastern, Friday's features will be...

Creepshow

and

Creepshow 2

followed by

Halloween (/w Red Letter Media commentary)

and finally...

WNUF Halloween Special

I'll also be showing various SPOOOOOKY things in between each film, including episodes of

Tales From the Crypt

So if you have time, and courage, this Samhain, drop by and watch some of the SCREAM STREAM!

We're about to go live!

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo
Day 31 - Ouija

I always feel like horror movies are best experienced in a movie theater and so I figured as my last movie of Horrortoberfest I should go see something that was currently playing. I also think horror gets better when you are watching in a group but there was sadly only four other people in the theater with me for this one. Still, the scares on a big screen with loud surround sound screams tend to be a bit more effective. Which is good since Ouija tends to be a fairly middle of the road, predictable offering that has plenty of modern style but lacking in ingenuity.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TWIST ENDING!

While I'm waiting for trick or treaters I decided to do one more and watch Emotion, an experimental vampire film made by Nobuhiko Obayashi who would go on to direct House. Experimental really is the best thing to call it; this is not House with Dracula. It does show his style as you'll see glimpses of House in the imagery of the film, but it doesn't hold together. It's just a barrage of imagery to the point that Michael Bay would go, "Hey, maybe you shouldn't be cutting things this fast."

Not much horror in this one, though, beyond the horror of watching what is essentially a student film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grnegsnspm posted:

Day 31 - Ouija

I always feel like horror movies are best experienced in a movie theater and so I figured as my last movie of Horrortoberfest I should go see something that was currently playing. I also think horror gets better when you are watching in a group but there was sadly only four other people in the theater with me for this one. Still, the scares on a big screen with loud surround sound screams tend to be a bit more effective. Which is good since Ouija tends to be a fairly middle of the road, predictable offering that has plenty of modern style but lacking in ingenuity.

Believe me, it wasn't better in the theatre.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Halloween [10/30/14]:

There are some amazing shots in this film. The sound direction is totally on point. The acting is...serviceable. I can see why it's a stone cold classic. With all that out of the way, nothing really happens for most of this film. We get some incredibly tense shots of Myers out of frame as this weird, unknowable, almost even inhuman Where's Waldo, but this movie is does not justify its length.

This was the first time I'd seen the original, and I guess my viewing of it was brought down by the incredible hype and love surrounding this movie. I absolutely love Carpenter's films pre-Ghosts of Mars. I also saw the remake before this, which I kind of disliked because of all of the Myers backstory. It's a great film, but it just kind of felt both anticlimactic and a bit empty.

Trick r Treat [10/31/14]:

This was also a much-hyped film. I saw Trick R Treat with Gene Simmons last year by mistake, so I was really excited for this. It's...not for me at all. It had kind of a Holes vibe to it. The soundtrack was very children's Halloween style. Guess I was hoping for something less cheeky. Everything about this film is well-done, but I just can't enjoy anything with this type of atmosphere for some reason.

BONUS: Lords of Salem [10/31/14]:

I've already seen this a couple of times, but somebody gave me the Blu-ray for my birthday. Dissatisfied with Trick r Treat, decided to watch this again.

I really, really like this movie. It's got some strange pacing, and some really disturbing weird satanic witch poo poo in it. On my first viewing, I didn't know what the gently caress was happening and it was glorious. Rob Zombie movies always have rather dynamic, striking filming and his pool of actors just chew scenery like no other.

It's definitely not as good as Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, or Repulsion, but the imagery here is extremely strong and hits nearly as hard as Enter the Void at points. I can definitely see why this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it everytime I see it.

Final Tally: 35 movies
PA Marked Ones [9/30]/ Children of the Corn 10/1/14/ The Town / That Dreaded Sundown 10/2/14 / The Burning 10/2/14 / Murder Party 10/4/14 / Last Ride 10/4/14 / Body Parts 10/5/14 / Christine 10/6/14 / Crazies 10/7/14 / Shivers 10/8/14 / Bad Taste 10/9/14 / Invasion of the Body Snatchers [10/10/14] / Deadly Spawn [10/11/14] / The Visitor [10/11/14] / Zombie rear end [10/12/14] / Evil Dead Trap [10/13/14] / Wishmaster [10/14/14]
Anaconda [10/15/14] / Monster Squad [10/16/14] / Willow Creek [10/17/14] / In My Skin [10/18/14]
We Are What We Are [10/19/14] / Martin [10/20/14] / Nosferatu [10/21/14] / Shadow of the Vampire [10/22/14]
Abominable Dr Phibes [10/23/14] / VHS Viral [10/24/14] / Pit and the Pendulum [10/24/14] / Quartermass and the Pit [10/25/14] / Purge Anarchy [10/26/14] / Inferno [10/27/14] / Stage Fright [10/28/14] / Exorcist 3 [10/29/14] / Halloween [10/30/14] / Trick r Treat [10/31/14] / Lords of Salem [10/31/14] BONUS

Must See [13]: PA Marked Ones, The Burning, Murder Party, Christine, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Monster Creek, In My Skin, We Are What We Are, Martin, Shadow of the Vampire, VHS Viral, Quartermass and the Pit, Stage Fright, Exorcist 3, Halloween, Lords of Salem
Okay, I Guess [8]: The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Crazies, The Visitor, Wishmaster, Nosferatu, The Abominable Dr Phibes, Purge Anarchy, Inferno, Trick r Treat
Bad [5]: Body Parts, Shivers, Deadly Spawn, The Visitor, Evil Dead Trap, Pit and the Pendulum
loving Terrible [6]: Children of the Corn, Bad Taste, Zombie rear end, Anaconda, Willow Creek, Purge Anarchy

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Met my goal, but not hard mode of seeing 31 new movies.

-Spanish Dracula
-Spider Baby
-Castle of Blood
-Onibaba
-American werewolf in paris
-Torso
-Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism
-Kwaidan
The Changeling
Bride of Frankenstein
Child's Play 2
Puppet Master 3
-The Pit
-StageFright
-Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell
-Deliver us from evil
-The horror of Dracula
-Pumpkinhead
-Cat in the brain
-Phantasm II
-Night of the Demons
-All the Colors of the dark
-The Houses October Built
-Curse of Frankenstein
-Witchboard
-Brides of dracula
-Lost boys 2
Exorcist 3
-Evil of Frankenstein
-Frankenstein created woman
Gremlins 2
Halloween
WUNF Halloween Special

On top of that I watched plenty of Tales From the Crypt and Ernest the Vampire (Thanks Scream Stream!). It's been a great October and I hate to see it end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Skywalker OG posted:

There are some amazing shots in this film. The sound direction is totally on point. The acting is...serviceable. I can see why it's a stone cold classic. With all that out of the way, nothing really happens for most of this film. We get some incredibly tense shots of Myers out of frame as this weird, unknowable, almost even inhuman Where's Waldo, but this movie is does not justify its length.

Nick Castle, the person playing Myers once he's an adult and wearing a mask, is wisely listed as "The Shape" in the credits. :3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Last night I got one last new-to-me scare in, making it 37 with the stream's showing of The WNUF Halloween Special

A VHS taping of a late 80's local news special in which a reported haunted house is investigated live for reports of real activity. Interspersed on the tape are many local commercials, adding to the authenticity.

Due to the nature of the film, I'll discuss my thoughts in spoilers. This film tries hard to be a realistic seeming home taped news broadcast from over 25 years ago, despite being made last year. And they actually do a good job of making it LOOK like it came from then, but the realism doesn't work for a few reasons. For one, the "tape" gets fast forwarded several times, something I'm old enough to know that noone ever actually did when dubbing one tape to another, even to cut out comemrcials--you would pause the recording source and skip ahead. Second, they fall into the trap I see everytime someone wants to make a fake newscast look real--which is to say a lot of unprofessionalism staged--shoddy camera work, and lots of "live bloopers", both funny and serious. These just aren't very common in real life, and a single local news station might make one or two mistakes a year, not the dozens that happen over the course of an hour that these sorts of things do. On the other hand, like I said, the absolutely nail the look of local tv of that time to an amazing level. The fashions, camera quality and type of commercials are all dead accurate. Also, I do have to credit the film for the way that around half way through the film takes a turn from funny parody to growing dread, with a twist ending I totally did NOT see coming. Also I love that apparently the filmmakers, before the official release of the film, distributed it on VHS through various second hand means, like donating it to thrift stores and leaving it places like a VHS convention to create a whisper campaign. Genius.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/Five

Like I said, my tally for new-to-me horror this year hit 37 films. Also, I watched at least a dozen movies I was already familiar with, thanks to things like Lurdiaks stream, and in that stream I also watched a bunch of other things like Tales from the Crypt episodes. I would mark this season a solid success.

The Talley:
1. Half-Caste (2004)
2. Grim (1995)
3. The Host (2006)
4. Para-Norman (2012)
5. Maniac Cop II (1995)
6. The Vampire Journals (1997)
7. Alien 2: Sulla Terra (1980)
8. The Stone Tape (1972)
9. Flesh Eating Mothers (1988)
10. Two Thousand Maniacs! (1967)
11. The Church (1989)
12. Subspecies IV: Bloodstorm (1998)
13. The House Where Evil Dwells (1982)
14. Don't Look Up (2009)
15. Giallo (2009)
16. Trick R Treat (2007)
17. Aberration (1997)
18. Clive Barker's A Book of Blood (2009)
19. Decadent Evil (2005)
20. The Mummy (1959)
21. Not of This Earth (1988)
22. Xtro 2: The Second Encounter (1990)
23. The Invisible Man (1933)
24. The Baby (1973)
25. Would You Rather (2012)
26. Boardinghouse (1982)
27. American Ninja Zombies (2011)
28. Lost Boys: The Tribe (2008)
29. The Iron Rose: (1973)
30: Razorback (1983)
31: Bug (1975)
32: The Den (2013)
33: Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971)
34: The Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)
35: Don't Look Now (1973)
36: Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010)
37: The WNUF Halloween Special (2013)

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
I haven't really been posting in this thread since I 1. haven't seen as many new movies as I wanted to and 2. didn't have time to do decent reviews, but last night I capped off the Halloween season with a real winner. A restored version of Nosferatu was playing at the theater, accompanied by live musicians who had specially composed a new score for this particular showing. It was REALLY good. There was probably more laughter in the audience than the movie was supposed to inspire, given the pretty hilarious overacting of silent films, but the more suspenseful scenes were accompanied by an incredibly intense series of drum solos that completely sold the tension.

I would absolutely recommend the experience to anyone who likes old horror; I've always enjoyed the movie, but watching it with drums pounding and theremins keening in your ears is a totally different experience. It really took the film to a new level. I'd also imagine you'd get a pretty different effect depending on each individual score, so if I ever get a chance to watch it again with different musicians I will jump on that so fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The score has a huge effect on these, often the musical accompaniment when these movies were new would just be whatever random stuff the musicians were into or whatever. IIRC when Metropolis came out it was unusual at the time for having a score written specifically for it. I love the 1994 score that was made for the 1926 Faust movie.

And I forget the piece, but I saw Cabinet of Dr. Caligari where the accompaniment was just one woman on a piano playing the most somber stuff ever, it was waaaay better and extremely engrossing compared to the more generic horror movie strings I had seen it with in the past.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 1, 2014

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I didn't really try to hit the 31 movie goal this year (or any year really) because I've been busy trying to play through SH4 but I did watch stuff this month.

Previously mentioned:

-Grave Encounters 2
-Friday the 13th part 3
-Friday the 13th Part 4
-Detention
-Nightbreed: the Director's Cut

-Oculus
I don't know why I waited as long as I did to watch this because I really enjoyed the hell out of "Absentia" the directors previous film. Oculus does everything I loved about Absentia with more money and known actors. If you haven't seen it, get on it good performances all around and an interesting story that doesn't spoon feed you everything.

-The Houses October Built
OH GOD loving drat IT! You know how you read a review for something and the reviewer says "All the best parts are in the trailer" and you still watch it. Yeah, that's exactly what this movie is. A found footage film about a group of Assholes looking for "the most EXTREME haunt in AMERICA!" this is a tedious hour an a half non-scares and obvious set up's to the point where you know EXACTLY who the villains are because they have better make up than everyone else. God drat it.

-Halloween
Carpenter's classic. Looks amazing on Blu-ray.

-Halloween II
An enjoyable sequel that for me at least, effectively killed Michael Meyers to the point that the bullshit they pull in part 4 to bring him back makes me kinda hate it more than I probably should (4 I mean). More gore, more Michael, more straightforward slasher too.

-Annabelle
There are times when I truly wonder why I do this to myself. I knew going into this movie it was going to be bad, and if I had realized that Gone Girl was playing at the other theater near by, I would have gone to see that instead. But I didn't so it was either Dracula Untold, this or Ouija. Annabelle is waste of time in every way imaginable. Lazy story telling, bad logic even for a horror film, and still the single worst looking prop doll I've seen in years. Seriously, I hate that doll, it was dumb in The Conjuring, and it's just as bad, if not worse in this one. Also, the Devil shows up, and that's hilarious (except it's just a demon but whatever)

-Psycho
Lucky enough to see this on a big screen again, Hitchcock's classic is such a treat on a big screen.

-The Rage: Carrie 2
WOW this is one 90's rear end 90's movie. Do you remember the late 90's because this is a nostalgia bomb of a movie. The story isn't great, and it tries way, way too hard to make you give a poo poo that it's tied to the original Carrie, to the point where a plot point made me roll my eyes so hard I almost felt them fall out. Despite that, it's not awful. Dumb, yes. 90's as gently caress, oh yes (including a random Ska song!) entertaining, strangely yes. Also, it features a badass double death involving a dude's balls getting launched into a pool. It's worth it for that alone.

-See No Evil 2
Didn't finish it, so I'm only counting it as a half. I remember next to nothing about the original other than being slightly better than I expected. Part 2 is certainly gorier and has Katherine Isabelle in it, so that's a plus. Daniel Harris is in it too and she's starting to look her age, and that's sad. Of the half of the movie I've seen, I don't hate it and I like it better than American Mary

So I finished out October with 13 and a half films. Not bad considering I didn't expect to hit that many, and it was nice to catch some classics I hadn't seen before, and sit through a couple of modern shitshows.

Seriously don't watch Houses October Built or Annabelle they are both awful.

Edit: Katherine Isabelle from Ginger Snaps, not Katherine Elizabeth who may or may not be an actual person.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 2, 2014

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
October 29th: The Boneyard Collection (2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832284/

This horror-comedy anthology was started in 2003, completed in 2008, and released on DVD in 2012. Seems like a good sign.
Full of cheesy jokes and appearances from various cult actors, it's not that good, but I've seen far worse.

October 30th: Skinner (1993)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114466/

Ted Raimi is a serial killer who skins people and wears said skin. Also starring Traci Lords and Ricki Lake.
A gory B-movie of the most enjoyable kind. Raimi's performance is the highlight, but the rest of the cast does a fine job as well.

October 31st: Burnt Offerings (1976)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074258/

I finished the month with a movie I haven't seen since I was a kid. The chauffeur was about the only thing I remembered from it.
It's a pretty creepy haunted house film, though it's a little too slow at times. The acting's great, though, so it was never too painful to sit through. It's a bit of a shame that's it's been so overshadowed by The Shining. A good end to this month.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Alright guys! This thread has run it's course. We had a great number of participants this year, and there were a lot of good movies watched and recommended. You guys really got into the spirit.

Thanks everyone for making this challenge work. I had a great Halloween, and I hope you guys did too. Scream Stream was a fun addition I wasn't expecting, and I'm glad they contributed to the mix with their sequels.

I don't know if there will be a 25 Christmas movie challenge, or if there's enough good movies out there with the bad. If anyone's interested in starting it, go for it. If there's enough people interested, I may be able to make the OP. We'll see.

Until next year, guys!

:spooky::ghost::spooky::ghost::spooky::ghost::spooky:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had a busy last couple of days but here's how I finished out my October.

44) Prowl (2010)

A decent vampire flick where a bunch of kids stumble into a trap from a nest of ruthless monsters. Its not a "knock them off" kind of movie, its really about the main girl Amber who feels lost and out of place in her town so her best friend Suzy gets their friends together to help her move to Chicago in time to get an apartment she wants (and maybe showing that Amber doesn't appreciate the friends she has). Then everything goes to hell and Amber is racked with guilt for dragging her friends into this and not really appreciating them, as she tries to save the few remaining ones she can. There's a kind of interesting twist that makes decent sense but isn't really explored that much in this film. I actually would have rather watched what followed and see how Amber adjusts to the realization of being a vampire and how Suzy copes with her best friend being a monster than the movie I did see. But it wasn't bad. The twist passed in that I didn't see it coming but when it did I remembered a lot of things that made sense with it her running to the store before her friends could drive there, her mother revealing she was adopted, her general malaise.

45) The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Another exploitation flick from the period of the genre that turned me away. Again, its a movie I kind of quote as what I don't like but never actually have seen so I figured I'd correct that. This was much less surprisingly ok than Hostel and much more of the exploitation crap that I feared it would be. In the scene where Emilie Raven is possibly raped while her sister is murdered after being sexually assaulted I really didn't want to be watching and considered turning the movie off. It was just an ugly, distasteful sequence that I don't get what anyone would get out of it. And the stuff that followed wasn't really triumphant or satisfying because the movie made two big mistakes. First, it didn't make the family terribly sympathetic or likable. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad people and I certainly am rooting for the guy to find his baby after he lost his wife but they're just not characters I'm along the ride for. The other problem is that the killers are poorly characterized. I didn't necessarily root for them to die because I wondered what kind of hell their lives were and how they got to be this way. But the movie doesn't make any effort to explore that or the weird setting of the film instead seemingly content to just let them be psycho freaks.

THIS is what turned me away from the genre for so long.

46) The Sentinel (1977)

I had been wanting to watch this for a few years after I saw it on a scary movie countdown and something struck me about it. The DVDs been sitting on my shelf for years since then and I just had never gotten around to it. It wasn't a bad film but it didn't quite live up to the wait. I actually kind of would like to see this movie re-done today with a little CGI and a darker tone to see what could be done with an interesting story. I see the criticisms of this film. Its definitely derivative of better films of the time like The Omen and Rosemary's Baby and the use of deformed people as freakshows was totally unnecessary and in poor taste. The movie never really came together for me or scared me, but I enjoyed much of it. Chris Sarandon plays an interesting character who I was never quite sure whether he was a hero or a villain and Christina Raines does decently as the victim slowly losing her mind. A problem I had was they just didn't give her enough to do and let her be more proactive in the story. She spends the entire second half of it fainting and lying down as Sarandon runs around. But that does provide a solid distraction as he seems more like the hero only for it to be revealed he actually did murder his wife at the end.

The most interesting things about his film is the supporting cast. Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Walken, Jerry Orbach, Tom Berenger, Beverly D'Angelo, Sylvia Miles, William Hickey. drat near every person with a bit role in this film is a recognizable actor of the next couple of decades or the past few and combined they probably get like 10 minutes of scene time. At least Burgess Meredith got to chew the scenery for a little while and his character probably should have had a bigger role but for some pacing issues and the shift in focus from Allison to Michael. But it really is amazing how every time a new character is introduced you can pretty much name the actor immediately. The casting director deserves some kind of reward.

47) Pumpkinhead (1988)

This is one of this films I always thought I'd seen but I'm not sure I really have. Its a great little monster film. I think the poster tag calling it a "grim fairy tale" is spot on. Its a simple story with very understandable motivations. Selfishness and fear. Grief and revenge. Compassion and humanity. Its a well constructed little story with a scary monster.

I don't have much else to say about it. Its solid and fitting but not world changing. Its just very straight forward horror fare done well.

For shits and giggles I watched The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown before it.

48) Let The Right One In (2008)

This is the big one I was waiting all month to check out and it didn't disappoint. It started slow and I was a little concerned it might be a disappointment but once Eli comes into the picture there's a very foreboding feeling and mood and a lot of chilling questions left unanswered. I don't know that I really have anything much to say about it that hasn't already been said before. Its a thought provoking and chilling piece. Is Oskar truly the psycho that Eli says he is or is she just manipulating him that way? What is the nature of Eli's relationship with Hakan and is it possible it started the same way this one with Oskar is? How much humanity is there in Eli when she seems to show some remorse for killing and genuine feeling for Oskar or is that all just put on by the monster to pretend its human? What exactly did Eli mean by "I'm not a girl"? Its all very interesting and terrifying in a psychological and emotional way. Ultimately Eli feels like a monster not so much because she's a vampire but because she is basically a predator manipulating and seducing a lost and lonely child into her world and I kept wondering if it hadn't been the first time.

A worthwhile final installment to the marathon and I'm going to look into picking up the novel to answer some of my questions.

The Final Tally
Pre-October Warm Up
V/H/S (2012) / V/H/S 2 (2013) / Sinister (2012) / Quarantine 2: Terminal (2011) / State Of Emergency (2011) / We Are What We Are (2013)
Week 1: Oct 1st to 7th
1) Insidious (2010) / 2) Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) / 3) Enter Nowhere (2011) / 4) The Nurse (2013) / 5) American Mary (2012) / 6) Re-Animator (1985) / 7) The Lords of Salem (2013)
Week 2: Oct 8th to 14th
8) Paranormal Activity (2007) / 9) Trollhunter (2010) / 10) The Woman in Black (2012) / 11) 1408 (2007) /12) Dead Before Dawn (2012) / 13) ParaNorman (2012) / 14) Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
Week 3: Oct 15th to 21st
15) The Hole (2009) / 16) The Den (2013) / 17) Ravenous (1999) / 18) All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006) / 19) John Carpenter's The Ward (2011) / 20) The Devil's Pass (2013) / 21) Blood Glacier (2013) / 22) You're Next (2011) / 23) The Coed and The Zombie Stoner (2014) / 24) Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)
Week 4: Oct 22nd to 28th
25) Torment (2013) / 26) Paranormal Activity 4: Unrated Edition (2012) / 27) Ghoulies (1985) / 28) The Day (2011) / 29) The Barricade (2012) / 30) The Last Exorcism (2010) / 31) Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010) / 32) Antisocial (2013) /33) Odd Thomas (2013) / 34) Rapture-Palooza (2013) / 35) The Last Exorcism Part II (2013) / 36) House at the End of the Street (2012) / 37) Zombie Hunter (2013) / 38) Alyce Kills (2011) / 39) The Possession (2012)
End Run: Oct 29th to 31st
40) The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014) / The ABCs of Death (2012) / 42) Hostel (2005) / 43) Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010) / 44) Prowl (2010) / 45) The Hills Have Eyes (2006) / 46) The Sentinel (1977) / 47) Pumpkinhead (1988) / 48) Let The Right One In (2008)

I had an absolute blast and I want to thank everyone who recommended a film on that list.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The weirdest thing about The Hills Have Eyes remake is that it's basically the same plot, note for note (with some minor changes to the ending) so that basically the differences in the two versions are the abilities of special effects technology, and directoral decisions. I honestly don't know which has a worse sequel though, as in that case the two movies are completely different.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My top five and bottom five picks from this month, if anyone's looking for recommendations/warnings.

1st: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
2nd: Kairo (2001)
3rd: Night of the Living Dead (1968)
4th: Tesis (1996)
5th: Kwaidan (1964)
-
27th: Marker (2005)
28th: Blood of Dracula's Castle (1969)
29th: Sinthia: The Devil's Doll (1970)
30th: The Devil's Hand (1961)
31st: Terrified (1963)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

STAC Goat posted:

What exactly did Eli mean by "I'm not a girl"?.

I'd say it's on three levels.

1. She's not a human anymore - she's a monster.
2. She's not a child - in fact she's much older than any adult, probably.
3. Maybe you missed the quick cut when she was disrobed (had bathed I think, it's been a while), but "she" has castration scars.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I got all that. Especially #3. Its what makes the question interesting. Its an unanswered/unasked aspect of her that bears further question. Just a lot of things the movie had my questioning and wondering about Eli. Its a really strong more than a simple monster movie because it really has all these layers.

Like there's almost nothing in the film to support my theory that Hakan met Eli when he was about Oskar's age and his story starts much the same way but I think its an interesting idea and layer to it that is open to such questions since the movie doesn't really address Eli/Hakan's relationship or backstory beyond small morsels and hints. That's really strong storytelling to just give little morsels and get the mind racing about what exactly is going on. Maybe my theory is totally off base but I think its an interesting one that makes Eli even more of a monster. Or something of a victim since we have no idea of her backstory or motivations.

Its just a movie that makes me ask more questions the more I think about it. Which I think is very cool.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

STAC Goat posted:

No, I got all that. Especially #3. Its what makes the question interesting. Its an unanswered/unasked aspect of her that bears further question. Just a lot of things the movie had my questioning and wondering about Eli. Its a really strong more than a simple monster movie because it really has all these layers.

Like there's almost nothing in the film to support my theory that Hakan met Eli when he was about Oskar's age and his story starts much the same way but I think its an interesting idea and layer to it that is open to such questions since the movie doesn't really address Eli/Hakan's relationship or backstory beyond small morsels and hints. That's really strong storytelling to just give little morsels and get the mind racing about what exactly is going on. Maybe my theory is totally off base but I think its an interesting one that makes Eli even more of a monster. Or something of a victim since we have no idea of her backstory or motivations.

Its just a movie that makes me ask more questions the more I think about it. Which I think is very cool.

Oops, I get you - you're looking at the questions raised.

Hakan's love for and attraction to Eli, and the lengths he'll go to protect her have us pegging him as a creepy, albeit loyal, pedophile. By the end of the movie, however, we can't put him in that box anymore, and he's potentially a much more sympathetic character. The way Eli was willing to discard him when he outlived his usefulness is disturbing especially in this light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but see the "pedophile" label seems insufficient to me. Its possible Hakan is just a pedophile who hooked up with Eli in the last decade or two because he wanted to diddle an everlasting child, but its also possible that Hakan met Eli when he was Oskar's age and just sort of slipped into the pedophile role because he never stopped loving Eli. It could be a play on the old vampire/immortal story of a 20-something immortal falling in love with a 20-something human and then 30 years later having an elderly partner because one of them didn't age. But in this case it was two children and one grew up while one didn't. And the movie, I think, makes a smart call by never really consummating the Hakan/Eli relationship so its not clear if Hakan is in fact physically involved with her and avoid us having to resolve that icky surface moral dilemma.

Then there's the question of how old Eli actually is. She may look like a child but she's obviously not. Where is she emotionally and intellectually? In a way you could argue Eli is the pedophile in seducing Oskar. Especially when you bring Hakan into the mix. She's obviously the predator who is taking advantage of Oskar and looks like she took advantage of Hakan (and as you said, discarded him when he wore out his use). Its just an interesting flip on the idea with Hakan/Eli since our first instinct is to see the adult and think he's taking advantage of the child but once you think about it you realize it could be the other way around entirely.

Like I said, just a very interesting story that has question on top of question. Not from a "hey, I didn't understand this" sense but from a "makes you think" sense.

• Locked thread