Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

edit: Quoting for usefulness

Nintendo Kid posted:

Besides selecting easy difficulty, here are some useful tips:

1) Invest as many coins into the HP increase, XP gain, and shop price decrease things first.

2) The best weapons to have are generally the X of Dancing Flames or the X of the Wisp King (since dancing flames shoots a ridiculous huge pillar of flame and the wisp king ones get you 2 HP back for every enemy you or an ally kills) If you can't afford these yet, Vampiric X (1 HP per kill) or Fire Whip X are generally good and cheap

3) This tip is broken down for each class:
Farmer: Go for pumpkin bomb as your first ability, then the pitchfork, and upgrade both until you can get cornucopia. After that, you'lll want to get the 4-way pitchfork throwing upgrade as your priority.
Warrior: Always get cleave first, nothing beats being able to hit all 8 surrounding squares at once. You'll also want to next get charge - it's very useful to get the drop on some enemies, and of course get dervish as soon as it's open.
Archer: Shoot Arrow is of course your first priority. Then you'll want to upgrade piercing shot all the way if possible, but don't forget to also do at least one instance of roll - it can be really helpful in certain situations, especially when you're boxed in by enemies.
Thief: You'll want to do Juke as your first level up thing, and then upgrading fire traps most likely. Don't forget to get backstab.
Vampire: Honestly I prefer to just have identity crisis as my auto equipped potion so I can swap in some better actions for it. But if you don't want to do that, it's usually best to get enthrall first, then drain life, then upgrade enthrall as much as possible while still getting Feeed right away when it unlocks. It's also particularly important to get your vampire good weapon and armor as soon as possible because he's stuck with mostly melee.
Wizard: Do magic missile first, then summon yeti, then teleport, then fireball. Choosing which of the first three to upgrade more is really up to you, but I'd prioritize yeti and magic missile over teleport

4) For armor you're going to find Armor of the Master Potter the most useful most likely, since you get free 3 or 4 hp healed for every pot you break with it. If you haven't found it or can't afford it yet, the armor of the Potter does the same but less hp which is still useful, and the Fireflare (pretty high chance to blast pillars of flame out in all directions when hit) and Stormguard armor (same deal as Fireflare, except with lightning attacks) are useful to have. The armors that teleport on hit can generally make melee fights hard to deal with, and the ones that just give a bunch of extra hp usually aren't worth it.

5) Always try to kill/close spawning entities first (spider nests or portal doors) in rooms with them, then focus on the creatures that came out later.

6) Always try to get a large slime, especially the dark blue/black ones that can respawn from puddles, into a hallway before you kill them. This usually means they'll only plop out 1 small slime on death which will be easier to deal with. Except for the acid slimes and the slimes whose death leaves an electrical slime area - you'll want to try to kill those in corners or centers of rooms so you can avoid needing to step through them, taking damage, to get to another room. (However if you're a wizard with teleport, an archer with roll, or a warrior with charge who can see an enemy on the other side of a pool of hurting slime, you're able to get past them without issue)

7) I find that if you can get the Key to the God's Hearts or whatever it's called, it's the best item to have equipped if you've also done the upgrade in town to ensure more prayer altars in dungeons. Being able to use each altar twice is usually much more helpful than harmful.

Good lord, that's a lot of tips, thanks.

I'm up to the fourth dungeon, clearing the first three up with the Thief now.

I went XP first, buying up cost reduction now, I figure once that's done I can start splurging and it'll get way easier.

Also discovering + is levelup on the keyboard made the game about 10x less annoying. I hate reaching for the mouse in games like this :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly I never got more than like a couple levels of XP increase/cost decrease, I don't think they're very important. Just play as warrior and use shield+cleave all the time(level 3 shield only costs 2 stamina so level that poo poo) and probably get a good ice or fire sword.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I disagree with the thief advice, pump juke and vanish as the vanish bonuses apply to the invisibility that juke procs too. Fire trap is way less useful than 10 turns of invisibility on demand.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You leave the music on in your games? :raise:

I forbid you from playing Dungeonmans :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

I forbid you from playing Dungeonmans :colbert:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

doctorfrog posted:

Bionic Dues is on sale for $2, and well worth it, in my opinion. The project is officially completed, to the point where the lead developer pretty much announced it, but the other main dev still adds features here and there, so IMO it's far from being a dead project.

https://indiegamestand.com/sale/

I want to like Bionic Dues but I hate how 95% of the time your bots die from one attack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

I want to like Bionic Dues but I hate how 95% of the time your bots die from one attack.

So don't get hit. Bionic Dues is very much a game of playing rocket tag. +Range, +attack radius, and getting enough damage to one-shot bots are all key strategies, and pretty straightforward when playing as Meg because of her bonkers item bonuses.

Re: Sproggiwood, my strategy for beating the final boss with Vampire was to whack summoned enemies with my Dancing Flames knife and hope the flames hit the boss. Nothing else could really kill me because of Feed, but actually getting into melee with the boss itself was a bad idea. If I was getting perilously low on health, I'd Bat away and then Feed on the dazed enemies nearby.

For Thief, I agree with going Juke+Invisibility. The fire traps are a neat trick but in most scenarios they're not really any more effective than just facestabbing guys and then vanishing into the shadows.

I never saw the town upgrade for more altars in dungeons :confused: My go-to accessory was the pinecone, since combining it with a flame weapon meant I could one-shot tougher enemies right at the start of the dungeon. Agree with the Master Potter armor though.

Archer's piercing shot seems to be mostly only useful at level 1; at least, I never really saw many opportunities to shoot through walls that weren't also abusable with the normal Shoot Arrow. Then again, maybe that's a bug that'll get patched. Really, Shoot Arrow and one level of Piercing Shot and one of Roll is all you really need as an archer.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For those of you who are playing risk of rain and still relatively new to it like me, go out of your way to unlock the acrid. Holy gently caress is he fun to play as.

I also like the enforcer a lot though so my opinions might not be widely agreed with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I never saw the town upgrade for more altars in dungeons :confused: My go-to accessory was the pinecone, since combining it with a flame weapon meant I could one-shot tougher enemies right at the start of the dungeon. Agree with the Master Potter armor though.
There's two more beyond the ones you can see. Scroll down - either mousewheel down or click-and-drag up because tablet interface.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's two more beyond the ones you can see. Scroll down - either mousewheel down or click-and-drag up because tablet interface.

:monocle: I never noticed that! Hard to say how useful they'd be, but more pots would synergize nicely with the Master Potter's armor.

EDIT: vvv I went with the other one, on the theory that it should make grinding for gear faster and relying on the RNG in a roguelike is dumb.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 3, 2014

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Regarding the fifth boss' reward, is the 20% res chance as useful as it sounds or should I go with the other one?

Edit: Re: Sproggiwood

Also, I really really hate the exploding spiders, just because I can't step on top of them until they explode.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 3, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Edwhirl posted:

Regarding the fifth boss' reward, is the 20% res chance as useful as it sounds or should I go with the other one?
A 20% rez chance is only good if you are dying constantly, and a different item could perhaps prevent that.

I'm fairly certain the one which lets you use potions twice is the best misc. item in the game-2 full heals on demand that don't take up a turn is extremely powerful. Just being able to refill your stamina bar twice in a row is already really good on warrior, so you can just keep popping shield and stay invincible basically throughout whole boss fights.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

IronicDongz posted:

A 20% rez chance is only good if you are dying constantly, and a different item could perhaps prevent that.

I'm fairly certain the one which lets you use potions twice is the best misc. item in the game-2 full heals on demand that don't take up a turn is extremely powerful. Just being able to refill your stamina bar twice in a row is already really good on warrior, so you can just keep popping shield and stay invincible basically throughout whole boss fights.

That's a good point. Honestly I've just been using the coin to fish for new items and stuff. I might start using that thing soon, just because yeah I can see how that's handy.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

IronicDongz posted:

There seems to be a bug with this such that if you have a potion as your take with you item and use that double potion item, you can safely switch off the double item after that run and you still get 2 uses per health potion from then on, pretty nice.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

andrew smash posted:

For those of you who are playing risk of rain and still relatively new to it like me, go out of your way to unlock the acrid. Holy gently caress is he fun to play as.

I also like the enforcer a lot though so my opinions might not be widely agreed with.

I've been giving the Engineer a lot of attention since I unlocked it, but it feels like it starts losing the edge as the enemies get faster and more numerous. I still can't get past Holy Ground :saddowns:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
play the engineer as though the harpoons were their primary attack, always use the terrain to your advantage, try to get bosses to trigger enormous stacks of mines at once, use your turrets as distractions

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Of course, having posted that I decided to do another Acrid run and ended up getting my second win. :v:

I'm a little disappointed that there aren't more things unlocked through winning the game, but considering how hard it is to actually survive to the final level I suppose it can be considered a small mercy. I've only got the Commando, Enforcer, Bandit, Sniper and Acrid unlocked so far, although I unlocked the Huntress on my laptop save. Are there any tips on getting the rest of them? I'm kind of avoiding the wiki because I don't want to spoil myself too much.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Frankosity posted:

I've been giving the Engineer a lot of attention since I unlocked it, but it feels like it starts losing the edge as the enemies get faster and more numerous. I still can't get past Holy Ground :saddowns:

I assume you mean enforcer based on your other post. All of enforcer's attacks penetrate enemies so he can start to lay down some enormous dps when lots of dudes show up. Use terrain to block your back, either a wall or the open end of a platform will work. Turn your back to it and use your shield block skill, you will soak almost all incoming damage that way as long as you don't let anything get behind you. Shield slam is useful when enemies that can do melee aoe that will hit around your shield show up. Get items that pump attack and move speed. If you find a heal drone fix it, the mushroom heal item is handy too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Some of the unlocks are kind of out there. They're more Acrid-style unlocks than Huntress or Sniper-style, level specific. And two character unlocks are based wholly on the amount of/specific items that you pick up per run. I might recommend just peeking at the wiki.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Frankosity posted:

Of course, having posted that I decided to do another Acrid run and ended up getting my second win. :v:

I'm a little disappointed that there aren't more things unlocked through winning the game, but considering how hard it is to actually survive to the final level I suppose it can be considered a small mercy. I've only got the Commando, Enforcer, Bandit, Sniper and Acrid unlocked so far, although I unlocked the Huntress on my laptop save. Are there any tips on getting the rest of them? I'm kind of avoiding the wiki because I don't want to spoil myself too much.

If you go to the in-game list of achievements, you can see how each one of them can be unlocked, but the description for some is rather obscure.

One was the acrid, that you've already found. If you'd like to know in what stage you should be looking for the others, one is in the Magma Barracks, and the other in Risk of Rain, the last level.
Beyond that you might as well read the wiki.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
binding of isaac rebirth is dropping tomorrow and it's going to be so good

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

madjackmcmad posted:

I love the debate on whether Teleglitch's graphical presentation is brilliant or total poo poo. I don't care for it personally, but I really admire how they doubled down on that style and committed to it.

Ignoring the Doom nostalgia factor (really, just put on the Doom soundtrack while playing, it's great) the deliberate low-fi presentation leaves a lot to the imagination, which is really useful when you're trying to inspire anxiety or dread. There's really only two ways I can think of to visually evoke that with a top-down game, and Teleglitch uses both - LOS restriction (with hard indicator shadows for the constantly shifting unknown) and ambiguous (but still readable) visuals.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Tollymain posted:

binding of isaac rebirth is dropping tomorrow and it's going to be so good

Is it still gonna use Flash and lag on a 3,4 GHz quad core processor?

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

SnowblindFatal posted:

Is it still gonna use Flash and lag on a 3,4 GHz quad core processor?

It sure isn't mr sassypants. It's going to be glorious! So hyped.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, they moved off of Flash for that very reason.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

andrew smash posted:

I assume you mean enforcer based on your other post.[...]

Nah, I did mean the Engineer, but thanks for the tips on playing Enforcer! The few times I've tried with it have been pretty fun, but shield-piercing attacks always get me in the end. Is it still generally the case that certain classes are really mostly viable in co-op, or are they all pretty beatable solo?

Beeme posted:

If you go to the in-game list of achievements, you can see how each one of them can be unlocked, but the description for some is rather obscure.

One was the acrid, that you've already found. If you'd like to know in what stage you should be looking for the others, one is in the Magma Barracks, and the other in Risk of Rain, the last level.
Beyond that you might as well read the wiki.

Oh, cool. With the Magma Barracks one, does it have anything to do with that pile of stones I keep seeing?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Frankosity posted:

Oh, cool. With the Magma Barracks one, does it have anything to do with that pile of stones I keep seeing?

No, it's very similar to acrid unlock

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
The Magma Barracks one is "fun" because it's only on some versions of the map and, at least before the engine rebuild(dunno now), it was buggy and would only show up some of the time even if you got the right version of the map.

:psyduck:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Also it didn't work properly on multiplayer, and magma barracks itself seems to hardly ever spawn anyway!

Fun!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

drink_bleach posted:

There seems to be a bug with this such that if you have a potion as your take with you item and use that double potion item, you can safely switch off the double item after that run and you still get 2 uses per health potion from then on, pretty nice.

Should be fixed in the 1.0.1 patch. (Only available on Steam at the moment)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Here's how I'd advise to approach the classes in Sproggiwood:

Farmer: Level the pumpkin bomb as fast as you can, none of the other skills really matter that much. I usually level scarecrow or cornucopia when I can't level pumpkin bomb. Any time there's one tile between you and an enemy, plop down a bomb. Do this also if you have more than one enemy around you. If you're wielding a vampiric weapon, this tactic basically guarantees that you wont die (as long as you avoid exploding jellies and other hazards you can't just mow away). For armour I usually take Stormguard or Master Potter, Stormguard is neat because it synergizes with the vampiric weapons but Master Potter is handy in case you need health and don't have a vampiric weapons.

Warrior: I always start with the shield ability because the character is most vulnerable early on, and then get cleave. I haven't really found the other two skills useful. There may be other equally valid tactics, but due to how powerful the shield ability is, using a vampiric sword and the Stormguard armour trivializes every single level no matter what the difficulty level, apart from the few boss situations where there are no smaller mobs to generate health on. Just charge right into a group of enemies, use the shield ability and attack normally until everyone is dead and you have full HP.

Thief: The most effective build I've found is to start with invisibility to ensure survival in the beginning, then get the fire trap and start leveling those two whenever you can. As with the Warrior, I don't really put points on the other two skills. Try to engage large groups of enemies at once, go invisible and lay down all 4 traps in a formation that hits the enemies as much as it can. After this just walk on the "safe" side of the mines and become visible (click the icon again), luring the enemies onto the mines. Again similarly to the Warrior, if you have a vampiric weapon this tactic practically guarantees you'll always be at maximum HP, but I didn't find this that necessary considering you have a fantastic escape mechanism at hand. Potter might be a good armour type in case you get caught off-guard; I tend to go with Stormguard or Fireflare.

Archer: As has been said before, get Shoot Arrow first, then Roll. Piercing Arrow is neat but I seldom found situations where it could really shine, so I'd advise to level Roll and Shoot Arrow to max level as top priority. Magic Arrow has never seemed all too useful to me. Once again vampiric weapons are very good for the Archer, but not necessary due to Roll. Alternatively the various fire bows are nice, since you can deal ranged AoE damage with them and more easily get back the stamina you use for Shoot Arrow. Also again Potter might be a handy armour in case health is a problem, otherwise Stormguard makes it easier to defeat enemies that get too close and cannot be killed with one attack.

Vampire: This class I struggle the most with, but the most effective build for me this far has been to start with Drain Life and then Enthrall, leveling those whenever possible but getting Feeeed as soon as it's available (what a wonderful skill!) Basically what Ninendo Kid said. Early on try to lure enemies so that they're diagonally next to you and drain -> attack, or enthrall if there's a group of enemies and you need a meat shield. Friendly creatures seem to be pretty hesitant to attack enemies, so be vary of that. Once you get Feeed, start using it on any enemies too powerful to kill in one hit, and normally attack those that you can to replenish stamina. Having a means of regenerating health when there are no easy enemies in sight (namely boss fights) is really handy, so have a Potter armour and a potion of health handy.

Wizard: I start with Magic Missile and level it whenever possible, with teleport being leveled when MM cannot. As with Warrior/Thief, the other skills don't seem to be very handy, so I usually leave them be. Try to find a staff with a fire AoE effect; spamming Magic Missile while wielding one clears levels really fast and ensures that you get your stamina back. The teleport is handy for avoiding exploding slimes and such, so try to avoid spending all your stamina. I tend to go with Stormguard armour but that doesn't really make sense or have any logic behind it; Potter is very nice for the HP it offers.

Basically to me Warrior, Thief and Wizard are the most powerful classes and I find it really hard to lose with them. Archer and Farmer are also good but might get into bad situations, and Vampire I just haven't fully figured out yet.

Eugh, sorry, this became quite a wall of text! :ohdear:

TL; DR: Leech life off enemies

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 3, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Warrior should really have 1 level of Charge for dealing with summoners. Something that isn't noted in the tooltips is which actions take time and which don't -- it turns out that Charging takes zero time, which means you can Charge a nasty enemy and then smack them normally (or use Cleave) and they'll probably be dead without getting a chance to respond.

For me, Farmers only need Pumpkin Bomb and Cornucopia, almost literally. Bombs are better than throwing pitchforks thanks to the AoE, and Cornucopia just gives you fantastic resilience.

Thieves with Juke and Invisibility investment can pretty much attack enemies with no chance for the enemy to counterattack. Clearly people are getting mileage out of the minetraps, though, so it's great that there's two viable builds for the class.

The main uses for Piercing Arrow that I've found are a) fighting enemies in corridors, and b) dealing with those goddamned flying goldfish, since it's your only predictable AoE attack. Unfortunately, getting them to line up for it is nontrivial.

Wizards should plunk a point into Fireball. Sometimes you just need to make entire swathes of the map go boom. You're pretty-well guaranteed to get the stamina cost back as long as you fling it into a crowd.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Warrior should really have 1 level of Charge for dealing with summoners. Something that isn't noted in the tooltips is which actions take time and which don't -- it turns out that Charging takes zero time, which means you can Charge a nasty enemy and then smack them normally (or use Cleave) and they'll probably be dead without getting a chance to respond.

For me, Farmers only need Pumpkin Bomb and Cornucopia, almost literally. Bombs are better than throwing pitchforks thanks to the AoE, and Cornucopia just gives you fantastic resilience.

Thieves with Juke and Invisibility investment can pretty much attack enemies with no chance for the enemy to counterattack. Clearly people are getting mileage out of the minetraps, though, so it's great that there's two viable builds for the class.

The main uses for Piercing Arrow that I've found are a) fighting enemies in corridors, and b) dealing with those goddamned flying goldfish, since it's your only predictable AoE attack. Unfortunately, getting them to line up for it is nontrivial.

Wizards should plunk a point into Fireball. Sometimes you just need to make entire swathes of the map go boom. You're pretty-well guaranteed to get the stamina cost back as long as you fling it into a crowd.

Yeah the juke/invis thief build works really well for everything except twinning lampreys. If you can line them up it's possible to take them out with a fire proccing weapon but honestly i tend to just run away from them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also in the right situations dervish is really drat good because you can keep killing stuff fast enough to endlessly stay invulnerable with shield+keep using dervish. Cleave+shield are still the most important though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Are there any good Roguelikes that have a first person perspective? I've seen Delver and Eldritch but are there any good first person dungeon crawlers out there?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Are there any rougelikes that present a party based fps wizardry/eob/grimlock world? I kinda want to make that.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Brought To You By posted:

Are there any good Roguelikes that have a first person perspective? I've seen Delver and Eldritch but are there any good first person dungeon crawlers out there?

Dungeon Hack was a shot at that, it's an older game but might scratch the itch.

http://www.abandonia.com/sr/games/28552/Dungeon+Hack.html

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Unormal posted:

Are there any rougelikes that present a party based fps wizardry/eob/grimlock world? I kinda want to make that.

Heroes of a Broken Land!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

Can personally attest to the fun contained therein. Random world, towns, dungeons. Multi-party exploration. Good times!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

madjackmcmad posted:

Heroes of a Broken Land!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

Can personally attest to the fun contained therein. Random world, towns, dungeons. Multi-party exploration. Good times!

I seriously regret buying SOTS' The Pit over Heroes of a Broken Land. Now I have to wait until the steam fall sale or something starts to work it back into my budget. :(

Goons. Don't make my mistake. Buy Heroes of a Broken Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

andrew smash posted:

I assume you mean enforcer based on your other post. All of enforcer's attacks penetrate enemies so he can start to lay down some enormous dps when lots of dudes show up. Use terrain to block your back, either a wall or the open end of a platform will work. Turn your back to it and use your shield block skill, you will soak almost all incoming damage that way as long as you don't let anything get behind you. Shield slam is useful when enemies that can do melee aoe that will hit around your shield show up. Get items that pump attack and move speed. If you find a heal drone fix it, the mushroom heal item is handy too.

The enforcer seems like he becomes worthless as soon as an elite enemy shows up. Their missiles hit through your shield, and the shield slows you down too much to dodge them. So whenever one of those orange elites is on screen you're basically forced to give up on your primary class mechanic.