Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeonseung exclusively survives through other people making giant mistakes or just not caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think Dongmin just cemented his place as the best all around player this season. I'm totally ok if he wins.

Shakugan posted:

Yeonseung made such a stupid decision in rejecting Dongmin's plan. Dongmin had the whole game planned out, and the only reason things didn't go exactly to plan was because he managed to underestimate Yeonseung's stupidity. Yeonseung, who clearly gets targeted by other players because no one likes him, who has no alliance of his own, who could have filled the vacuum left by Hweejong.

That was odd and I kinda hoped he'd get destroyed by Sujin instead of choosing that one girl who's a complete pushover. He even had a reason to justify it (she was the first to screw him in the racing game).

But then again I don't think Dongmin will really go through with his revenge plan, it seems counterproductive now that he lost allies... Calling it now, the last episode will be Dongmin VS Yeonseung, the ultimate enemies :getin:

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
Yeonseung getting constantly sent to deathmatches by Dongmin and winning every time like some weird-haired grim reaper would make them a lot more entertaining.

It wasn't the smartest choice from a game point of view, but from an entertaining tv show point of view, it was more interesting than anyone except maybe picking Junghoon?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If the ending isn't Hyunmin and Dongmin someone hosed up at some point

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonseung sucks so much

I think we can all agree that you are the one that, and I quote, "sucks". :colbert:

That was a fun episode with a fun main match, yay.

Dongmin and Hyunmin are way smarter than everyone else, it's almost painful. Plus, now they know it too, as the main match showed us. Hyunmin wasn't willing to make an enemy out of Dongmin, even if it meant backstabbing a team member. Those two are my favorites right now and unless they gently caress up real hard, they're guaranteed top 4 or 5. Hyunmin should tattoo "we can make X last" after this show is done.

Finally, we get a main match that isn't a simple team game. I missed those, I really did. Bombs or diamonds having a tell was a given, and I was quite impressed Dongmin got there before anyone else - turns out he didn't, but still. Team Goofus almost figuring it out but not quite was a highlight. Team Goofus, you're so endearing :3:. Although, to be fair, you might've been able to notice a different texture depending on how the minerals were manufactured. The triple bomb play fooled me at first, I only suspected something was up after I saw Hyunmin's bet - no way the dude's that ballsy without being 99% sure of the results. Nice acting, guys. Ahyoung is getting more and more unhinged every episode and I love it, I'm hoping she keeps teaming up with Dongmin until the end of time :allears:.

MENTALITY KING didn't make the brightest of decisions pissing off Dongmin, but it wasn't that terrible either. He's right in assuming he'll be the one strung along in any plans Dongmin might have, and surviving the deathmatch would mean striking a blow to Dongman's (typing the same name a thousand times gets old, okay?) alliance. If Hyunmin decides to make a play against his main rival, Yeonseung will be a good ally. Of course, I'd be more wary of Hyunmin than Dongmin...The deathmatch was poo poo, mostly because of the game. It being decided on an egregious mistake didn't help matters either, of course. Why, Sujin, why. :smith: I can only hope that's the last we see of Double-Sided Poker. Hell, do some Hap Gyul next week, I'd take that repeat over Double-Sided Poker again.

Next week's main match sounds cool and could lead to some interesting combos. Wonder who Hyunmin will make come last.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
E: oops phone hosed up and reposted my previous post for some reason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought that team three's plan was going to be Dongmin would separate the bomb from the rest in the mine, then everyone would just pull all the other cubes out. I thought it would be awesome for someone to completely empty the mine of everything except the bombs.

An easy way to test this for anyone who can't immediately tell is place two cubes on your fingertips and use them as scales (and yes, you can do this one handed if you have any flexibility in your thumb).

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I'm actually one one here probably who likes the poker game then...

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Nexal posted:

It's seems like a good idea conceptually, but it seems like a very slow paced game and some bad luck can really screw you over. There really needed to be more of a deterrent to betting on both sides. As the game is now, it comes down to who can find an opportunity to pull that off first and then ride the momentum the rest of the way.

Next weeks main game reminds me of a more complex scamming horse race. I like scamming horse race though so it should be pretty good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I am 100% on board with Dongmin winning this season. Incredibly smart, clever, super loyal to his teammates...you'd be stupid to not make an alliance with him immediately.

The finale needs to be him vs Hyunmin, with him winning in the ultimate triumph of good over evil.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nexal posted:

I agree with the complaints that the open information makes for a slower game, thought I think it would be improved if anyone would ever bluff. Very few players this season seem to recognize the value of disinformation, though maybe that will change next week!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Random Stranger posted:

I agree with the complaints that the open information makes for a slower game, thought I think it would be improved if anyone would ever bluff. Very few players this season seem to recognize the value of disinformation, though maybe that will change next week!

I don't care that double sided poker is played conservatively, what makes me hate it is that if I get a strong enough card and starting first I can be 'whelp I get 1/3 of your starting stack and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it'. I mean I suppose you can bluff over the top on back, but if they have a 10 they are calling you 100%. So at best you can do what has happened twice now and just call and pray that they are bluffing for some reason. I'd be wiling to be that even Yoohyun would rather play a different death match, certainly at least Indian Holdem.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Main match was dope as hell. Deathmatch uuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Main match was dope as hell. Deathmatch uuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Watch joker poker crop up at least four more times.

vvvv Thanks, fella.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 3, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Insanely good avatar my man

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tonfa posted:

He literally chose a point value in the final round that would leave him 1 point behind that other guy if their team busted out. All that was missing was a failure horn sound effect.
This is made more hilarious by Hyunmin and Dongmin both thinking that Hyunmin had to make a decision to side with his ally or Dongmin. The show played up this decision. Hyunmin and Dongmin had both assumed Yeonseung wasn't that stupid and thus thought there was an actual decision to be made. The show's editors were merciful enough not to explicitly point this out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You guys are kind of pushing me towards liking Yeonseung as a sort of Mr. Bean character but he just sucks so much.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeonseung comically slips on a banana peel and knocks over a wall, revealing the secret Garnet Repository

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Zythrst posted:

I don't care that double sided poker is played conservatively, what makes me hate it is that if I get a strong enough card and starting first I can be 'whelp I get 1/3 of your starting stack and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it'. I mean I suppose you can bluff over the top on back, but if they have a 10 they are calling you 100%. So at best you can do what has happened twice now and just call and pray that they are bluffing for some reason. I'd be wiling to be that even Yoohyun would rather play a different death match, certainly at least Indian Holdem.

The other aspect I really dislike is that a draw causes all bets to become the ante for the following round. That hands the winnings of two rounds to whoever is dealt the better card in most cases.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Danoss posted:

The other aspect I really dislike is that a draw causes all bets to become the ante for the following round. That hands the winnings of two rounds to whoever is dealt the better card in most cases.
What is even worse is when both players go all-in and tie. What is even worse than that is if they tie with the nuts (best possible hand).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The death match is poo poo because it mostly comes down to luck and opportunities for bluffing are minimised. Every card being individual makes it far too easy to remember which of the highest cards have gone and there's no option to check so players who go first with lovely cards just fold immediately, cutting off most rounds where the interesting betting would happen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

comedyblissoption posted:

This is made more hilarious by Hyunmin and Dongmin both thinking that Hyunmin had to make a decision to side with his ally or Dongmin. The show played up this decision. Hyunmin and Dongmin had both assumed Yeonseung wasn't that stupid and thus thought there was an actual decision to be made. The show's editors were merciful enough not to explicitly point this out.

To be fair, from Yeonseung's position there wasn't necessarily anything to lose from going low there. He was in a poo poo position anyway and guessed reasonably high but still also below the rest of his team (which has problems of its own but at least Yeonseung would've saved himself that way). Given Team 2 went 1-1-1-stop twice in a row and Hyunmin had such a giant lead by then that he couldn't lose outside of three people all picking the same very high number, which wasn't likely, that there was no reason to expect them to change... except! The real problem was that it was the perfect encapsulation of not realising from Hyunmin's "lucky" +50 at the triple bomb before that something else was up. Which he was not alone in; apparently everyone else is dumb as a bag of rocks too because no one thought that was a little too well timed!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

We're starting to hit the mid-game! This was a great round. As of today's game, I think the breakdown of alliances seems something like this:

Team Dongmin
Dongmin
Ahyoung

Goofy Team
Yeonjoo
Jongbeom
Yeonseung

Independent/Team Hyunmin
Hyunmin
Junghoon
Yoohyun

I think Yeonseung's rejection of Dongmin's plan was probably the best move he's made all season. He knows he's a likely target no matter how well Dongmin treats him. We've probably seen the last of the big multi-team games, so as a relatively weak player he'll always be a target in terms of diplomacy. No one would get super up in arms at choosing Yeonseung, as he's a member of a weak alliance, and not scary in the same way as Hyunmin or Yoohyun. Dongmin's offer, while nice, wouldn't be able to protect him for more than a couple rounds. Plus, everyone is generous with their garnets in the early game.

Even if Yeonseung gets sent to the deathmatch again, Dongmin will have to win to ensure that Yeonseung doesn't choose himself/Ahyoung/whoever else is on his team in retaliation if he wants to continue his protection deals. If Dongmin is specifically gunning for Yeonseung, Yeonseung can offer himself (or be coerced) as a rallying point for anyone wanting to take down Dongmin. Something every player at this point in the game should be considering. If Yeonseung would have accepted Dongmin's deal, Yeonseung would have been protecting Dongmin's alliance and further alienating himself from the non-Dongmin players. By refusing, Yeonseung pumps himself up as more of a threat, which he desperately needs having a bad track record in the major games he's played. His refusal also helps highlight Dongmin as a power player who is worth knocking out early.

So yeah, Yeonseung reaction seemed pretty impulsive, but I think he made the right choice if he can survive the next round. The question now is who Dongmin tries to ally with, and how dedicated Dongmin is to screwing Yeonseung. Perhaps he's willing to go to the deathmatch to face Yeonseung.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Verr posted:

If Yeonseung would have accepted Dongmin's deal, Yeonseung would have been protecting Dongmin's alliance and further alienating himself from the non-Dongmin players.

Besides Hyunmin, everybody else is completely incapable.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Like, "alienating himself from the non-Dongmin players" is meaningless because the only real players are Dongmin and Hyunmin. That's straight fact

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm not so sure Yoohyun, Junghoon, Yeonseung, and Ahyoung are pushovers. They all seem to be competent enough at playing the death match games, which is the real check against the power players. Dongmin's and Hyunmin's strengths seem to come from analyzing the situation more quickly than others, and then forming a team based on that info. As we run out of players, I feel the Jinho vs. Sangmin war last season shows that being able to keep a solid band of mediocre players together can and will outlast the stronger game players that can't keep a team together. Dongmin and Hyunmin can't afford to needlessly alienate players, especially bad ones, that might provide a buffer for the sake of revenge at this point.

By virtue of being the only real players Dongmin and Hyunmin paint targets on their backs. A mistake by either of them could send them to the death match with relatively little support. Yeongseung's move was the best he could have made. He'd have been dropped by Dongmin in a second for any of the other players. Dongmin is threatening Yeonseung for what Dongmin was berating Hyunmin about: Hyunmin (and Dongmin) realized at the last moment he needed to make a deal to save his teammate, but he couldn't follow through. So now Dongmin will dedicate his efforts to knocking out a weak player just to prove a point? Doesn't seem like a smart play.

You're right, Dongmin and Hynmin are the big players so far. That's exactly why Yeonseung can't afford to piss off anyone that isn't Dongmin or Hyunmin. They'll both send him to the death match in a second, so he needs all the players to know he's willing to shake up the power players up to remain useful. Then he might hopefully get picked up by either anyone gunning for Hyunmin or Dongmin, or by Hyunmin and Dongmin themselves.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
That's all well and good, but maybe you know Yeonseung needs help with not losing the games constantly. Which Dongmin could help him with.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Verr posted:

. So now Dongmin will dedicate his efforts to knocking out a weak player just to prove a point? Doesn't seem like a smart play.

You would not be a fun person to watch play this game

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I guess you're right that Dongmin's team put on a good enough dog and pony show that he chalked up Hyunmin racking in 50 points as blind luck or something.

It's still funny that Dongmin and Hyunmin were convinced that the obvious 'bet big' strategy would be betting at least enough to beat Junghoon in the event of a bomb and probably thought that everyone saw through the gifting of 50 points to realize that intentional bombing was a strategy. Remember that the person in absolute last was not Yeonseung at this point. A person in absolute last that was not in collusion would be heavily incentivized to go 1 or enough to beat Junghoon, so a strategy of Yeonseung trying to go low enough to be 1 below Junghoon is absolutely ridiculous.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
It's too bad that Dongmin's team didn't test out Dongmin's ability to sense weights more carefully to clean out the mine. If they explode, they get the situation as observed in the actual gameplay, but if they succeed in maxing things out at 336 or any other close-to-clean 2-diamond (4x) result, all of the bettors still get paid out but his team gets even more. Okay, so it would have made it so that Hyunmin would no longer be in the lead and put a huge target on Dongmin's team for the deathmatch, in addition to creating more jockeying for top spot within the team, but it would have been more fun to see, I think. Strategically unsound in terms of planning, but more entertaining to view, I'd say.

Still, the main match was quite entertaining as it was, and the editing did a good job of bait-and-switching the real importance/impact of being able to sense bombs from the riches in the actual play. And the death match was just as bad as last time...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The one thing that I thought was really weird was that if only Dongmin and Hyunmin (and to a lesser extent a few people who could tell that "something" was "off") could tell that the Bombs were heavier and could tell the difference, then what the hell is everyone else doing for a solid minute when it's their turn to pull out the cubes? Person goes up, digs their hand around for 90 seconds... and pulls out one cube. What? If you can't tell the difference then you would just reach in and grab the first one you come across, otherwise you are just signalling to everyone that you CAN tell the difference since you need the time to go from cube to cube and test them out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zythrst posted:

That's all well and good, but maybe you know Yeonseung needs help with not losing the games constantly. Which Dongmin could help him with.

He's lost twice. Once in Superpower Race, and once here. It's not like Yeongsung could have played the Superpower Race any better, he was just chosen to go last because it he was the easiest to knock out. In Sword/Shield, he was just targeted instantly by double swords through dumb luck.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He was targeted because nobody cares about him because he sucks big time

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Stating the obvious, love how they roll it into the opening tune.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Will we ever hear Extreme Ways in this season? :sigh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was so sure that they would reveal that Hyunmin wagered some ridiculously high amount, like 1000000, but I guess it would have made the strategy obvious too soon.

Sujin made a ridiculously costly error, ugghhhh; I had no opinion on her prior to this game but I thought she was playing way better than Yeonseung up to that dumb dumb point and I would much rather have seen her go through.

CHiRAL posted:

Will we ever hear Extreme Ways in this season? :sigh:

They're saving it for when Bandage Man says "This week, you will be facing off against external threats."
*Door opens*
*Extreme Ways plays as Jinho and Sangmin walk in*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

I was so sure that they would reveal that Hyunmin wagered some ridiculously high amount, like 1000000, but I guess it would have made the strategy obvious too soon.

The maximum wager is 50.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Argue posted:

Also the part where the rules explicitly stated 50 was the maximum wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Ep 5. first BTS up.

Dongmin is loving hilarious.