Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

americong posted:

I've always ended up damaging plastic utensils I try to use with a cast iron skillet.

Just get a decent metal tool (or several), it's easier to use them anyways because they're stiffer and you don't have to worry about damaging a nonstick coating.
It melted a bit off the old lovely one I got for like a buck 15 years ago, the nylon one held up fine. Still I can get a metal spatula for cast iron funtimes. I've used the skillet several times since getting it. Fried some chicken Monday that turned out awesome. One of these days I'll get some genuine lard and do it that way. Preferably on a weekend where I don't have to move for the next several hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SubponticatePoster posted:

It melted a bit off the old lovely one I got for like a buck 15 years ago, the nylon one held up fine. Still I can get a metal spatula for cast iron funtimes. I've used the skillet several times since getting it. Fried some chicken Monday that turned out awesome. One of these days I'll get some genuine lard and do it that way. Preferably on a weekend where I don't have to move for the next several hours.

Get a fish turner, preferably an 8" model unless you only cook huge meals. It will change your life.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Indolent Bastard posted:

I tried it as well, we found it was too much bread, not enough everything else. I'm going to take another run at it, but mix the ingredients into the bread and add cheese on top post baking. That and drop the temperature.

Add me to the list of making these over the weekend. I left out the pepperoni and just used extra garlic, cheese. I actually put the cheese in the food processor and diced it up into small pieces and mixed it in with the dough just like they did with the pepporoni, that way it got all over not just on top. Added some homemade marinara and they were a big hit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

niss posted:

Add me to the list of making these over the weekend. I left out the pepperoni and just used extra garlic, cheese. I actually put the cheese in the food processor and diced it up into small pieces and mixed it in with the dough just like they did with the pepporoni, that way it got all over not just on top. Added some homemade marinara and they were a big hit.

That looks pretty goddamn legit.

Anyone have any more good recipes or things outside the obvious that work out well?

Thank you for reminding me of the joys cast iron brings, thread!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I made a mistake in buying my first cast iron skillet last week.

The mistake was not buying two. None of my dinners make it to the plate together because I end up eating them piecemeal while cooking.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That looks pretty goddamn legit.

Anyone have any more good recipes or things outside the obvious that work out well?

Thank you for reminding me of the joys cast iron brings, thread!

Dutch babies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Dutch babies.

Dutch Babies are the best kind of thing to cook in your skillet. But you might have better luck obtaining a Chinese or Russian one.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?
Alright, so after reading all of this and seeing the delicious things coming out of these pans, I have decided that it is in my best interest to purchase one. Question is, is it worthwhile to buy an old (smooth) Griswold or Wagner rather than just getting a cheap Lodge? I am not concerned with the time/effort of properly seasoning it either way, and I should be good to use that hipster flaxseed oil since I have walked past it in my local grocery every week for the past 4 years and always thought, "What the hell is flaxseed oil for, anyway?" Share your wisdom, sages of the skillet.

americong
May 29, 2013

The Marauder posted:

Alright, so after reading all of this and seeing the delicious things coming out of these pans, I have decided that it is in my best interest to purchase one. Question is, is it worthwhile to buy an old (smooth) Griswold or Wagner rather than just getting a cheap Lodge? I am not concerned with the time/effort of properly seasoning it either way, and I should be good to use that hipster flaxseed oil since I have walked past it in my local grocery every week for the past 4 years and always thought, "What the hell is flaxseed oil for, anyway?" Share your wisdom, sages of the skillet.

Lodges are fine and you aren't missing out on something cosmic by skipping one, especially if you want a huge size like I use.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Marauder posted:

Question is, is it worthwhile to buy an old (smooth) Griswold or Wagner rather than just getting a cheap Lodge?

Find a flea market, scrap metal recycling place, or garage sale outside of biking range of hipsters. Ask, "Does anyone have any cast iron skillets?" Buy the heaviest, oldest one you can that preferably has USA stamped on it and does not have holes rusted through. Buy it for like 12 dollars. Go to your favorite Lowes or Home Depot or Ace and get a sandpaper block. Sand the poo poo out of your new best friend. Follow these directions.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107614

It's like an hour of work, a few hours of keeping the oven or grill on. Then you have a new best cooking friend, that will quickly multiply into many new best friends as decades old cast iron is a cheap cooking high when you live in a world of flea markets and grandmas.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Find a flea market, scrap metal recycling place, or garage sale outside of biking range of hipsters. Ask, "Does anyone have any cast iron skillets?" Buy the heaviest, oldest one you can that preferably has USA stamped on it and does not have holes rusted through. Buy it for like 12 dollars. Go to your favorite Lowes or Home Depot or Ace and get a sandpaper block. Sand the poo poo out of your new best friend. Follow these directions.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107614

It's like an hour of work, a few hours of keeping the oven or grill on. Then you have a new best cooking friend, that will quickly multiply into many new best friends as decades old cast iron is a cheap cooking high when you live in a world of flea markets and grandmas.

This is truth. Going to yard sales and finding a set of 6,8,10, & 12" skillets in perfect (if sticky) condition for $10 for all four is a real joy.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That reminds me that I need to post some in-progress pics of restoring my chrome finished Griswold #8

VVVV http://www.castironcollector.com/plated.php

Mine was coated in black when I found it, but appears to be a chrome finished model with a bare iron cooking surface. If you click the "gallery" link at the bottom, mine is the third picture exactly.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 22, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chrome finished? Was there a time when people thought they needed more chrome in their diet? Or did it have a copper coating on top of that at some point?

edit: wait, chrome goes on top of copper, right? I had it turned around.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Took the griddle for a spin with some Honey Garlic Pork Tenderloin tonight.

Wasn't working too well on the stove, so put it in the oven for a bit. Love you can do that with cast iron.

Forgot the oil initially so I now have a job scrubbing those groves. Wondering if a wirebrush and reseason might be easier.

Actually, anyone found a less-than-wirebrush for burnt on food that doesnt somehow damage seasoning?

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 28, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Heners_UK posted:

Actually, anyone found a less-than-wirebrush for burnt on food that doesnt somehow damage seasoning?

Any sort of stiff plastic dish brush will work fine. And just pour some water in the thing and let it boil up - it'll soften the burned on poo poo and you can pretty much just wipe it off. Or just rinse it off and cook something else on it soon.

Who would use a metal brush? It's not a wire rack for a charcoal grill or anything.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Tried sous vide steaks in a dry cast iron pan that I preheated on a high burner for 10 mins. Steaks came out with a VERY uneven crust that was almost burnt in some parts and unbrowned in others; worse, doing so seems to have stripped some of the seasoning I had on the pan, which has a much lighter patch in the middle now. Is this because my pan hasn't seen much action and I just need to COOK MORE BACON, or am I doing something very wrong here?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KirbyJ posted:

Tried sous vide steaks in a dry cast iron pan that I preheated on a high burner for 10 mins. Steaks came out with a VERY uneven crust that was almost burnt in some parts and unbrowned in others; worse, doing so seems to have stripped some of the seasoning I had on the pan, which has a much lighter patch in the middle now. Is this because my pan hasn't seen much action and I just need to COOK MORE BACON, or am I doing something very wrong here?

You probably don't need to preheat for that long to begin with, but whatevs - it's fine.

You may not have let it sit still for long enough, generally that's what happens when stuff sticks to the pan.

How did you sear it? Safflower oil/lard for 30 seconds a side? Dry? More time? Was the steak flat or did part of it curl from the heat?

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Dry for ~60 seconds each side. I didn't notice any curling but I wasn't looking for it and it was hard to see through that much smoke (I was ready for it to smoke, but not quite that much).

americong
May 29, 2013

KirbyJ posted:

Dry for ~60 seconds each side. I didn't notice any curling but I wasn't looking for it and it was hard to see through that much smoke (I was ready for it to smoke, but not quite that much).

pans can be too hot, you know

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Took the griddle for a spin with some Honey Garlic Pork Tenderloin tonight.

Wasn't working too well on the stove, so put it in the oven for a bit. Love you can do that with cast iron.

Forgot the oil initially so I now have a job scrubbing those groves. Wondering if a wirebrush and reseason might be easier.

In the future, you're better off avoiding things with a lot of sugar in them on the griddle. The sugar will (as I'm sure you figured out) carbonize in the grooves and be a bitch to get out. I use a screwdriver to get into the grooves and scrape really well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In the future, you're better off avoiding things with a lot of sugar in them on the griddle. The sugar will (as I'm sure you figured out) carbonize in the grooves and be a bitch to get out. I use a screwdriver to get into the grooves and scrape really well.

I found chopsticks did well, but yes, it was a misguided choice.

Going to boil water in it tonight.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

KirbyJ posted:

preheated on a high burner

americong posted:

pans can be too hot, you know

I'm not sure if you're using a gas range or an electric range, and obviously all stoves and burners are different, but on my electric stove, medium is way more than enough to sear the hell out of anything I chuck in my cast iron after it's had time to heat up. High's really reserved for boiling water.

So as americong suggested, maybe try lowering the temperature to med-high or even medium next time and see if you get better results.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'm not sure if you're using a gas range or an electric range, and obviously all stoves and burners are different, but on my electric stove, medium is way more than enough to sear the hell out of anything I chuck in my cast iron after it's had time to heat up. High's really reserved for boiling water.

So as americong suggested, maybe try lowering the temperature to med-high or even medium next time and see if you get better results.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. I tried a lower temperature with oil earlier and I got better results, although it was still pretty patchy on the meat.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Are there any cast iron tools or gadgets that I can add to my Christmas list? I think I'm getting some "potholders" that are cast iron pan specific, but is there anything else that might be useful?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are there any cast iron tools or gadgets that I can add to my Christmas list? I think I'm getting some "potholders" that are cast iron pan specific, but is there anything else that might be useful?

If you're talking about the sleeves to put on the handles of cast iron pans, I personally them to be pretty useless.

They're only really good when you're using your pan on the stove and you want to move the handle from the left side to the right side. Other than that, they're not thick enough to be left on the handle and then try and carry the pan for any decent period of time. I just use a towel to wrap around the handle when I'm ready to move it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Indolent Bastard posted:

I sometimes find myself with a desire for a cast iron lid for my skillet. It's not frequent enough for me to buy myself, so it would make a good gift!

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 30, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I sometimes find myself with a desire for a cast iron lid for my skillet. It's not frequent enough for me to buy myself, so it would make a good gift!

Make it a gift for yourself.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

atothesquiz posted:

If you're talking about the sleeves to put on the handles of cast iron pans, I personally them to be pretty useless.

They're only really good when you're using your pan on the stove and you want to move the handle from the left side to the right side. Other than that, they're not thick enough to be left on the handle and then try and carry the pan for any decent period of time. I just use a towel to wrap around the handle when I'm ready to move it.

I use an Ove-Glove because they manage to keep out the heat long enough for you to do whatever it is you're doing. Don't get them wet though, that's a ticket to pain.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Welding gloves. They're designed to handle temps way higher than your oven can produce, have individual fingers, and are like 10 bucks a pair.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

atothesquiz posted:

I got this silicone sleeve that goes over the handle. Doesn't really transmit any heat so it's pretty effective. The only thing I wish is that it had a tighter fit...it's a bit loose so I have to be extra-careful that I have a solid grip on there.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

Ever pull a skillet/sauce pan/whatever out of the oven and soon after absentmindedly grab the handle to move it, but it your hand? I like the little handle sleeves to slip on the handles after they come out as a reminder to myself.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Butch Cassidy posted:

Ever pull a skillet/sauce pan/whatever out of the oven and soon after absentmindedly grab the handle to move it, but it your hand?

when this happens to me I grip it even tighter to teach my hand a lesson. You're in the Danger Zone, not a Day Care Center.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Butch Cassidy posted:

Ever pull a skillet/sauce pan/whatever out of the oven and soon after absentmindedly grab the handle to move it, but it your hand? I like the little handle sleeves to slip on the handles after they come out as a reminder to myself.

I'm convinced that if I grab the hot handle enough times, eventually my fingerprints won't come back, and then I will be able to get away with anything.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that I found them useful for when the pan is hot and on the stove top and you want to do a quick shake or move it around. But that's about the extent of of their usefulness.

That said, I haven't tried the silicone sleeves so I can't comment on those.

Welding gloves or a decent oven gloves are the best option in my opinion.

Edit: I thought of something that I use all the time with my cast iron pans. An infrared thermometer. I love the thing! I throw my pans on high heat and then shoot the surface to make sure the pan is up to the temp I want for the particular application. They're also useful for instantly checking for hotspots.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 3, 2014

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

atothesquiz posted:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that I found them useful for when the pan is hot and on the stove top and you want to do a quick shake or move it around. But that's about the extent of of their usefulness.

That said, I haven't tried the silicone sleeves so I can't comment on those.

Welding gloves or a decent oven gloves are the best option in my opinion.

Edit: I thought of something that I use all the time with my cast iron pans. An infrared thermometer. I love the thing! I throw my pans on high heat and then shoot the surface to make sure the pan is up to the temp I want for the partic

ular application. They're also useful for instantly checking for hotspots.

What gloves do you use? The ones I've looked at are big and bulky and I don't think I'd have good control of my iron using them. I don't think I have girly hands but maybe I do

E: yea infrared thermometer is awesome for the kitchen. Get one of you don't have one

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 4, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have an infrared thermometer but never thought to use it in the kitchen. What are some other ways to use it besides checking pans?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

I have an infrared thermometer but never thought to use it in the kitchen. What are some other ways to use it besides checking pans?

*oil temp for shallow frying.
*liquid temps where there's no vapor, like less than 170F - yogurt or milk or chocolate, too. The laser refracts off the mists instead of making it through to the actual liquid.
*Oven temp.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

door Door door posted:

Welding gloves. They're designed to handle temps way higher than your oven can produce, have individual fingers, and are like 10 bucks a pair.

As a former welder this guy is right. H*ck, go to your local shipbuilder/car shop and ask for any old welder's gloves they have, no doubt they will help you out or direct you to someone you can. I have been using welder's gloves for a while now since I used to be an apprentice welder and they are amazing for cooking sh*t.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"poo poo" I can almost understand, but "heck"?

Hell drat rear end motherfucker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Don't pick on the Mormon

• Locked thread