Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Nearly all of Type-Moon's stuff seems to have multiple cases of rape in them and I really wish they didn't.

Speaking of which, I just finished watching Kara no Kyoukai. I liked Future Gospel so much, it even made me like the epilogue in retrospect. I would watch more Kara no Kyoukai that was just Mana bullying Mitsuru and dragging him around to solve cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

jellycat posted:

Nearly all of Type-Moon's stuff seems to have multiple cases of rape in them and I really wish they didn't.

Speaking of which, I just finished watching Kara no Kyoukai. I liked Future Gospel so much, it even made me like the epilogue in retrospect. I would watch more Kara no Kyoukai that was just Mana bullying Mitsuru and dragging him around to solve cases.

Yeah, in each of the major properties (Tsukihime, FSN, KnK) there's a case of it. On the one hand at least the characters that suffered it have interesting (depending on how you see it) characterization and are able to live their lives apart from the trauma. And on the other hand, god loving dammit Nasu.

Future Gospel was pretty nice and I always did like the fact that Mikiya and Shiki grow up to be relatively happy compared to most TM protagonists.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

jellycat posted:

In a lot of ways Future Gospel might be my favorite KnK film, outside of maybe Paradox Spiral. It's got a very nice, almost self-contained story that still manages to serve as a far better emotional and narrative send-off to Shiki than what we got originally with the epilogue. Not to mention Alleluia which is probably my favorite Kalafina song. I guess the plot thread with Mikiya and Seo is a little lackluster compared to what Shiki gets to do though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Another year, another round of great Fate-related Halloween fan art (hey, it's October 31 here in Taiwan).

The best though was that one artist a couple years ago putting all the major Fate/zero characters in Halloween costumes.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Happy Halloween UBW, the DBZist route of them all.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Nate RFB posted:

In a lot of ways Future Gospel might be my favorite KnK film, outside of maybe Paradox Spiral. It's got a very nice, almost self-contained story that still manages to serve as a far better emotional and narrative send-off to Shiki than what we got originally with the epilogue. Not to mention Alleluia which is probably my favorite Kalafina song. I guess the plot thread with Mikiya and Seo is a little lackluster compared to what Shiki gets to do though.

Paradox Spiral is easily my favorite, but Future Gospel is definitely up there. There were so many great scenes in Paradox Spiral; the time-lapse with Enjou and Shiki, the fight with the puppet residents, everything with Cornelius Alba, the scene where Touko just starts going full Jojo, the sequence when Shiki comes back. I think this was even the movie where I started kind of liking Kokutou, and the bit at the end in Shiki's apartment was the first time I thought their relationship actually felt believable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, I can see that Archer is Trunks, but who is Shirou dressed as? It seems like he's wearing the same shirt he always wears, and sweat pants. ...and those DBZ shoes, so... is he the other version of Trunks, or something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He is also Trunks... they are both Trunks's... er, Trunksi.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, I can see that Archer is Trunks, but who is Shirou dressed as? It seems like he's wearing the same shirt he always wears, and sweat pants. ...and those DBZ shoes, so... is he the other version of Trunks, or something?

That's how Trunks dressed as a kid in the History of Trunks.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Which is better, Type Moon Halloween or Type Moon Christmas?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
TM April Fool's.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

T-M April Fools is just tragic, because there's always a tease about a new Melty, something that'll never happen. :smith:

But that's not relevant here:

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Am I doing this right?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Yes, you are.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
Baby it's cool outside

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It was mentioned in the main UBW thread, but they're adding a lot of new scenes will Illya. I guess she's more popular because of Prism Illya? It's too bad that UBW is the route where she bites it, though. iirc, Saber doesn't get a ton of closure either. UBW really is Shirou's show.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

It was mentioned in the main UBW thread, but they're adding a lot of new scenes will Illya. I guess she's more popular because of Prism Illya? It's too bad that UBW is the route where she bites it, though. iirc, Saber doesn't get a ton of closure either. UBW really is Shirou's show.

I believe I saw a mention that they were going to be expanding on a character who didn't get a lot of time in the original UBW route in episode 4, I guess that was Ilya, since she had the new original scene.

My guess is that beside from simply wanting to add more stuff for her since she doesn't have a lot of time in this route, there's also them wanting to piggyback off of Prilya, as well as provide a certain amount of continuation from Zero, since she's one of the few links to it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It will really help hammer home the impact of Gil ripping her heart out if they gave her as much characterization in UBW as Irisviel had in F/Z. Plus, it adds some more build up for the follow-up HF movies.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Making UBW the continuation of Zero is a really bad idea because UBW is the most self contained story of the three.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Does HF getting the movie treatment mean that it'll have a bigger budget? Because by necessity it's gonna be like four movies.

Maybe then can even get Rin's face right.

e: Due to budget cuts, every film will be animated with the Tiger Dojo caricatures.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why can't Saber go incorporeal in UBW, can she normally? Did I miss something about that? I totally don't remember from /zero, and don't care about spoilers if it is one.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 2, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
She can't since she's not actually dead. Or something like that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HellCopter posted:

Does HF getting the movie treatment mean that it'll have a bigger budget? Because by necessity it's gonna be like four movies.

Maybe then can even get Rin's face right.

e: Due to budget cuts, every film will be animated with the Tiger Dojo caricatures.

HF will be one movie. The first 5 minutes summarize most of the route and the rest is a lavishly, slavishly animated adaptation of just the last 2-3 days.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blhue posted:

She can't since she's not actually dead. Or something like that.

Correct. Saber isn't a full Heroic Spirit because she never actually died. This also means that Saber is the original Arturia, sent forward through time, while other Servants are more like perfect copies (with the same memories, etc.) of the original Heroic Spirit on the Throne of Heroes.

One thing I've never been clear on: What exactly is being on the Throne of Heroes like? Do Heroic Spirits even have any conscious experience there, or is the last thing a newly summoned Servant remembers his or her own death? I think EMIYA was described as doing something analogous to reading books about the experiences of copies of himself, but he's a Counter Guardian who gets summoned to do things other than fight in Holy Grail Wars; things might work differently for non-Counter Guardians (they wouldn't even have many copies to read about). I think one of the artbooks/databooks mentions Arcueid becoming Phantasmoon by breaking into Medea's literal room on the Throne of Heroes and stealing her literal magic wand, but that's obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I thought she cannot turn incorporeal because Shirou sucks.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
That was just one of the large number of lies she told Shirou.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bholder posted:

I thought she cannot turn incorporeal because Shirou sucks.

That was a lie she told (or maybe just didn't deny Rin's speculation? I can't remember), to avoid revealing the truth.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
What are people's opinions on Fate/Extra and Battle Moon Wars?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Extra is OK. It basically rides completely on the novelty of allowing you to participate in your own pseudo Holy Grail War and fight Servants and everything. The battle system is straight up just Rock-Paper-Scissors without much in the way of intelligence and there isn't much middle ground between it being too easy or hard in an annoying/frustrating way. You will die a LOT to bullshit bad luck, maybe even losing hours of progress since you can't save inside the dungeons. Also playing as Caster is really hard because she is so weak at the beginning of the game, so you kind of have to save her for NG+.

I haven't played CCC obviously but it is apparently really trashy, which is a shame because you can select Gilgamesh as one of your servants.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, Battle Moon Wars is basically just SRW in a Type-Moon skin, with a pair of stupid OCs. Map design isn't particularly good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Extra is OK. It basically rides completely on the novelty of allowing you to participate in your own pseudo Holy Grail War and fight Servants and everything. The battle system is straight up just Rock-Paper-Scissors without much in the way of intelligence and there isn't much middle ground between it being too easy or hard in an annoying/frustrating way. You will die a LOT to bullshit bad luck, maybe even losing hours of progress since you can't save inside the dungeons. Also playing as Caster is really hard because she is so weak at the beginning of the game, so you kind of have to save her for NG+.

I haven't played CCC obviously but it is apparently really trashy, which is a shame because you can select Gilgamesh as one of your servants.

CCC is actually supposed to be awesome aside of the awful not-Sakura designs.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Extra's plot not very good; it's basically Battle Network 4 (the game that gave us :moreevil:) with the Mega Man names replaced with Type-Moon ones.

CCC is probably better in terms of having an actual plot, but it seems to have the most weird sexual stuff of any Type-Moon work despite not being an 18+ game.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 3, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pureauthor posted:

Also, Battle Moon Wars is basically just SRW in a Type-Moon skin, with a pair of stupid OCs. Map design isn't particularly good.

I thought that it was fun for all the attack animations and music, though. I think it's enjoyable as long as you don't expect too much from it, and also try and just blitz through as quickly as you can.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

And with Gilgamesh as your Servant, you get one of the best scenes in the game, hands down.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gilgamesh is nuts in that game because apparently he actually is as overpowered as he's supposed to be and can beat the final boss in one go with his base loadout. Also the devs tell you not to pick him first because he figures out the whole plot from the start so he's just dropping spoilers left and right and you'll have no idea what's going on.

Gil's path from "generic rapist" in Fate to one of the most popular TM characters (I think he made like, 3rd in the male poll) has been a weird one.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I think it's largely because unlike a lot of characters in Fate, he has no real tragic backstory or anything, and is so completely sure of himself that he exudes a very popular kind of confidence in himself and what he believes.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
To me Gil is by far the most unlikeable character in FSN/FZ. A narcissistic kid, much like Shinji (in fact, Shinji's mirror image), except far more dangerous.

They both die pathetic deaths in almost every route, so there's that at least.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 3, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think more than a lot of other characters the comedic stuff has generally always treated Gil very well, whether it's hollow ataraxia or Carnival Phantasm. Like the wacky races episode where he turns out to be motorcycle geek. "I am the rules!" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gil is the super coolest because he's an arrogant rear end in a top hat, but it adds to his regality and personality unlike every other arrogant character.