Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Confirming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
yo, Peeps, i've got my code word, and it is the grEatest code word ever. if i didN't know better, I would think that nobody could have any better word then waS given to me.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Strong Mouse posted:

yo, Peeps, i've got my code word, and it is the grEatest code word ever. if i didN't know better, I would think that nobody could have any better word then waS given to me.

You're wrong, because my code word is the best code word.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
So I thought a bit about the game over the weekend, and I think that we're going to separate the players into three groupings. First, we have the lurkers. Second, the jokers. Third, the testers.

The lurkers aren't going to be very active in the game thread, and they're not going to be very communicative with anyone they get outside communications with. They essentially become dead weight, especially since their code becomes locked away in their PM, unshared and unobtainable. These are the people we must vote off first, as their removal from the game reveals their word and (sometimes) their word's position.

The jokers are going to be more active, both in-game and in OOT communications, but they're not going to give serious help in solving the puzzle. Either they think they can solve while withholding their own, or they think it's funny having people try TITFUCK in their guesses. Either way, while you might get words from them you're not going to get real words. These people will only be revealed as their words are tested and discarded, but after the lurkers these are the next group to remove, again so we can get their true word.

That leaves the testers. These are the people that are trying to get information from others and make a play at actually solving the puzzle. These people are who we want in the game early, as there's a necessary give and take. But once we hit a point where someone has 11 correct words, or 9 words in the correct place, we need to switch voting to remove the people likely reaching a correct answer.

So that's my strategy. Remove dead weight early to get their words out in the public, remove true threats late.

As an olive branch, I will publicly answer one question about my word today, and answer truthfully. I will not answer anything too specific ("What's your word" is right out), but also won't pick a question so general as to be meaningless. Currently, the only thing we know is that there are 13 seven-letter words, which gives us an effective universe of millions. Sharing simple facts about the words is important today. Everyone give me your questions, I'll answer the first that's not unreasonable.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Hmm. Interesting. So lynching someone simply prevents them from winning the game. It's basically a popularity contest as far as lynches go.

We could always agree to no-lynch, though, right? To give everyone still a fair shot at winning?

It seems like it's just a "oh no, x is too close to a solution, we should vote him gone" instead of an information gathering tool.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

My word is ZYZZYVA, owned

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Realtalk Byers I see no reason for you to hint or reveal your word right now.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

Hmm. Interesting. So lynching someone simply prevents them from winning the game. It's basically a popularity contest as far as lynches go.

We could always agree to no-lynch, though, right? To give everyone still a fair shot at winning?

It seems like it's just a "oh no, x is too close to a solution, we should vote him gone" instead of an information gathering tool.

It's information gathering to remove people that aren't participating, as it reveals the word their lack of participation has left locked in their PM. It's survival once someone's only a few words away from the win to try and eliminate that person. Beyond those two cases, yeah, it's popularity.

Poque, what happens if no one has a vote at deadline. Do we all survive, or do you randomly remove a player?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

But yeah since it's plurality if there's no votes at all during the day would anyone be lynched? I simply don't see a reason to necessarily lynch someone before any private contact at all, or even later in the game. If anything we should only lynch even days to get both the word and the placement.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Buyers your question is

"How many letters long is your word?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

Realtalk Byers I see no reason for you to hint or reveal your word right now.

I'm trying to get other people talking as well about their words, to try and eliminate some of the possibilities. We're looking for 13 words out of millions, and short of being one of the final two there's no way to randomly guess that. I've already used my guess today to eliminate some possibilities, but I don't hold out hope to be one of the final two. Unless we talk, the only way to win is to outlast everyone else; since that's not likely to work for me, I'm trying to change the parameters and get conversation going.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alternately if you feel that one is too revealing

"Do you have a word ?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

MildManeredManikin posted:

Buyers your question is

"How many letters long is your word?"

Oh, you. :allears:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If there are no votes at deadline, one person will be removed randomly.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm phone posting right now but I'll share my thoughts when I get to a computer.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

If there are no votes at deadline, one person will be removed randomly.

Balls. This is why I'm trying to get people talking about their words, even obliquely. I'm not comfortable sitting back and hoping on a 2 in 13 shot at being in position to win at the very end.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

And yet this game is potentially unwinnable if the final two both bitterly hide their words since there are like you said millions of words that are seven letters long.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Don't have anything terribly helpful to add atm. Still trying to figure how best to make guesses. Are the words part of a theme? So far, it's a mystery.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

And yet this game is potentially unwinnable if the final two both bitterly hide their words since there are like you said millions of words that are seven letters long.

At the final two, all words are revealed.

Poque posted:

Game End:
The game ends the instant somebody submits the entire code in the correct order. Daily voting will continue until the game ends or there are two players remaining. If the game reaches two players but neither player correctly submits the code, each remaining player will have their code segment revealed and it becomes a showdown. The two remaining players will cycle through Day/Night phases as quickly as they can make their submissions - the first player to get it right will win!

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Ahh, I missed that part.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

ActingPower posted:

Don't have anything terribly helpful to add atm. Still trying to figure how best to make guesses. Are the words part of a theme? So far, it's a mystery.

Poque said no theme. I tried several common seven letter words in my guess today, a few random ones, and several that were similar to my word, all were bad. That's what I'm saying, it's effectively random right now, hence pushing for talk.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi, I'm not very smart and while I think cryptography is very interesting I am too simple to have ever engaged it seriously. My initial inclination is to eliminate anyone who I think has a chance of winning this game, which would probably be winvirus or Byers.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Poque, is the thread going to remain open during night phases?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

EXAKT Science posted:

Poque, is the thread going to remain open during night phases?

Yep, it'll be open and available for talking.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Poque said no theme. I tried several common seven letter words in my guess today, a few random ones, and several that were similar to my word, all were bad. That's what I'm saying, it's effectively random right now, hence pushing for talk.

Any chance you'd post the words that didn't work? :v:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
There are no doubt several of us who, based on our code segments, are in a prime position right now.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

EXAKT Science posted:

There are no doubt several of us who, based on our code segments, are in a prime position right now.

What do you mean? People with uncommon words?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
To be a little helpful (or not) my word isn't a dictionary word.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Hi, I'm not very smart and while I think cryptography is very interesting I am too simple to have ever engaged it seriously. My initial inclination is to eliminate anyone who I think has a chance of winning this game, which would probably be winvirus or Byers.

This isn't crypto. This is something else.

I'd agree, taking out people like me, winvirus, maybe merk would make sense before the game reaches it's final form. I'm a tester, so's merk (likely), and winvirus is either going to be a joker or a tester. I know I can't win the social game, neither can a lot of people. Hence, trying to give myself a chance to win before the final two.

winvirus posted:

Any chance you'd post the words that didn't work? :v:

Nope; like I said a fair few are similar to my word. One picked randomly from the list: COLLEGE.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Strong Mouse posted:

To be a little helpful (or not) my word isn't a dictionary word.

Wouldn't that, by definition, be not a word?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Byers2142 posted:

Wouldn't that, by definition, be not a word?

It is the name of something, and that name comes from having mashed two words together.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

winvirus posted:

What do you mean? People with uncommon words?

That isn't the position I was taking in that post, but I'd be one of those as well. The word I got is seriously one of my very favorite words, isn't that lucky?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EXAKT Science posted:

That isn't the position I was taking in that post, but I'd be one of those as well. The word I got is seriously one of my very favorite words, isn't that lucky?

Well, Pokemon is a seven letter word.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Poque how is your username pronounced? This is important.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Strong Mouse posted:

It is the name of something, and that name comes from having mashed two words together.

TITFUCK confirmed

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Why should any of us trust any information anyone makes public? I know that my first inclination was to lie about the theme and content of my code segment.

Exakt, from our mafia experience I think you would have a decent social game and a good head for this stuff, but I'm weirded out by your prime position comment. And upon preview, I'm even more weirded out by you soft-claiming your code segment.

Winvirus can you convince me that there is any scenario in which we were both in the final two that you would not win?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Also if there are words that are in the solution that aren't in the dictionary that's kind of bullshit tbh

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

winvirus posted:

TITFUCK confirmed

I didn't expect anybody to get it that quickly. Welp, there goes my bargaining chip.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Why should any of us trust any information anyone makes public? I know that my first inclination was to lie about the theme and content of my code segment.

Exakt, from our mafia experience I think you would have a decent social game and a good head for this stuff, but I'm weirded out by your prime position comment. And upon preview, I'm even more weirded out by you soft-claiming your code segment.

Winvirus can you convince me that there is any scenario in which we were both in the final two that you would not win?

The scenario where you somehow had more information than me, which wouldn't happen, because I'm smart, social and competitive. But you're playing Day 39 Survivor when it's only Day 1, so I agree with Byers that trimming the dead weight is likely the best initial strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've been thinking about the role of alliances in the game. The tricky point is that like survivor, nobody wants to put themselves at an equal chance of winning with somebody else. People probably will want to manoeuvre on top. A large alliance that everybody was very committed to could give everybody in it an equal shot at winning but also isn't very realistic.

Coordinating who talks to who also feels important, you wouldn't want to waste your choice on somebody who chose you.

As for voting the two most obvious schools of thought to me are the eliminate presumed favourites or eliminate the weaker links to ensure the game is pure and not won through sandbagging.

I'm not really sure which of those I prefer. I know Winvirus is coming hot off a Genius win and all but I can't say I'd be a fan of any game where the final group is whatever players were deemed weakest.

• Locked thread