Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Personally I'm trying to figure out if I should use my code piece as a bargaining chip or if I should create an elaborate series of games, puzzles and codes that would reveal my segment if you beat them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
That sounds like fun.

I just made my guess for the day. Trying to figure out 13 seven letter words is hard. If anybody is actually able to just randomly guess a one of the code words, that would be amazing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

MildManeredManikin posted:

Personally I'm trying to figure out if I should use my code piece as a bargaining chip or if I should create an elaborate series of games, puzzles and codes that would reveal my segment if you beat them all.

That would be against the rules if you posted them in the thread:

Poque posted:

Communication in the thread is always allowed - but all posts must be able to be interpreted by all players. No encrypted messages or things of that nature.

That's why I went with the simple "Ask me questions" approach. There are facts about a word that aren't specific to the word. Is it a proper noun? Is it plural? How many syllables does it have? Is it even a freaking word, apparently?

There are things we can share as a basis of building trust without revealing the word itself, and I can say straight out that revealing the position of the word privately? The dumbest thing you can do.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I believe the encrypted messages thing meant like, no posting in code and then giving somebody else a way to break the code.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Yeah, I think games and riddles would be fine since everyone would have an equal shot. You just can't be like "my word is 73726262738484836262626 I will give you the cipher so you know I'm legit" or some poo poo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I believe the encrypted messages thing meant like, no posting in code and then giving somebody else a way to break the code.

winvirus posted:

Yeah, I think games and riddles would be fine since everyone would have an equal shot. You just can't be like "my word is 73726262738484836262626 I will give you the cipher so you know I'm legit" or some poo poo

Yeah, these posts are cool. I'm trying to avoid a situation where an alliance is made in which somebody gives somebody a way to learn the placement of their code if they're eliminated. They're free to tell somebody that outright, of course.

Basically, say somebody's code segment was APPLE and it was placed sixth.
and they told somebody something like "Let X be the number that corresponds to the first letter of my segment. The Xth number of my first post on page 5 is my code's placement." and then made their first post on page 5 "6 5 7 10 1 2 8 9" or something. I wouldn't like that, because only that person would be able to decipher it AND it's contingent on the other person's death. If somebody wants to give away their placement, it must be done while they're alive.

If somebody wants to do some kind of riddle thing and then sets up a line of communication in the following day to give away their segment/placement, that's totally cool.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

winvirus posted:

The scenario where you somehow had more information than me, which wouldn't happen, because I'm smart, social and competitive. But you're playing Day 39 Survivor when it's only Day 1, so I agree with Byers that trimming the dead weight is likely the best initial strategy.

Okay thank you ##vote winvirus.

I know you probably have some words about why this is stupid, which is fine. I don't intend to engage on it though. I do not see myself winning against anyone other than 'dead weight' so I am inclined to take as many of those players to endgame as possible. Thanks & Godbless.

I've been thinking about the role of alliances in the game. The tricky point is that like survivor, nobody wants to put themselves at an equal chance of winning with somebody else. People probably will want to manoeuvre on top. A large alliance that everybody was very committed to could give everybody in it an equal shot at winning but also isn't very realistic.

Coordinating who talks to who also feels important, you wouldn't want to waste your choice on somebody who chose you.

As for voting the two most obvious schools of thought to me are the eliminate presumed favourites or eliminate the weaker links to ensure the game is pure and not won through sandbagging.

I'm not really sure which of those I prefer. I know Winvirus is coming hot off a Genius win and all but I can't say I'd be a fan of any game where the final group is whatever players were deemed weakest.

I admire your sense of sport, I'd like to communicate with you because I'm fairly certain you'd play straight in any deals. However, the purest way to play a game is the way that makes the most sense. I think it's worth playing a game in the way that you're most likely to win, otherwise it's sort of a silly exercise.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

We could, of course, simply mass claim words, since there are what, something like 500,000,000 orderings possible? Unless my math is way off

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Okay thank you ##vote winvirus.

I know you probably have some words about why this is stupid, which is fine. I don't intend to engage on it though. I do not see myself winning against anyone other than 'dead weight' so I am inclined to take as many of those players to endgame as possible. Thanks & Godbless.

I admire your sense of sport, I'd like to communicate with you because I'm fairly certain you'd play straight in any deals. However, the purest way to play a game is the way that makes the most sense. I think it's worth playing a game in the way that you're most likely to win, otherwise it's sort of a silly exercise.

I see this as a direct attack against the group of players that I exist in. Put simply, anyone that Somber would think he can't beat straight-up just became his hit list. He's called me and winvirus, specifically, out. I know that he holds at least merk in the same light. I'm pretty sure players like Hal would be tehre as well. Our vote today now becomes one of survival; we need to remove the threat of Somber failing his way to a win.

##vote Somberbrero

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

We could, of course, simply mass claim words, since there are what, something like 500,000,000 orderings possible? Unless my math is way off

Yes, but it takes me two days to get the exact position once I have a word, and I think with a bit of imagination I can decode two words' positions at a time. The possibilities reduce fast.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Yes, but it takes me two days to get the exact position once I have a word, and I think with a bit of imagination I can decode two words' positions at a time. The possibilities reduce fast.

That's a very good point.

I will join in for my (our) obvious survival, also.

##vote Somberbrero

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Byers2142 posted:

I see this as a direct attack against the group of players that I exist in. Put simply, anyone that Somber would think he can't beat straight-up just became his hit list. He's called me and winvirus, specifically, out. I know that he holds at least merk in the same light. I'm pretty sure players like Hal would be tehre as well. Our vote today now becomes one of survival; we need to remove the threat of Somber failing his way to a win.

##vote Somberbrero

That is completely fair Byers, and it's a great way to establish an early and effective alliance. However, my strategy isn't likely to actually work since I don't know everyone and there are bound to be some awesome dark horse players here. I'm usually really awful at the social aspect of mafia, it's rare that I can get someone killed even when I'm consistently right, so if you push for me today it will probably go through. I've been antagonistic and rude enough to start that it won't be hard.

However, that's exactly why you should keep me around. If you want to take your chances within the 'tester' circuit, by all means. It seems poor game sense to me to bring your best competitors into lategame though.

By the same token, isn't this an attack on anyone outside of your tester group? I dunno, dividing into groups like that seems as counter-productive as not.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

I will join in for my (our) obvious survival, also.

Actually, I'll go a step further than just our survival. There is one and only one group of people that should not vote for Somber today. That's people who are convinced that they can beat him heads up, but can convince him that they're incompetent at the same time.

His vote shows that he plans to eliminate anyone that he thinks can beat him. It's an implicit admission that he will only work with people he's decided he can beat, hands down, in a straight-up logic-off. So if you don't think you can beat him, you don't want him working with you ebcause he's going to be actively setting you up to fail. If you think you can beat him, and that you won't be able to hide your skill at puzzles/logic/etc., you need him gone for sheer survival.

The only way you can justify not voting him right now is if you truly believe that you can beat him, but you also believe you can fool him and hide that fact so that he will work with you and not target you. This is a game about building some form of trust and cooperation amongst a small group (say 3 to 5 players) to build out the knowledge base needed to win prior to being eliminated due to the daily vote; Somber's already fired the first salvo in creating an alliance where he and only he has the slightest chance to come out on top. So if you're cleverer than him and socially adept enough to lie, maybe you can turn the tables on him. Otherwise, his play is anathema to you winning.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You're right that you don't want to bring strong players to the end, but at the same time, if the strong players just keep eliminating strong players they won't have a majority anymore. If Byers sees me as part of his group of strong players, he would want my assistance in trimming dead weight players before turning on me or before I on him.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

That is completely fair Byers, and it's a great way to establish an early and effective alliance. However, my strategy isn't likely to actually work since I don't know everyone and there are bound to be some awesome dark horse players here. I'm usually really awful at the social aspect of mafia, it's rare that I can get someone killed even when I'm consistently right, so if you push for me today it will probably go through. I've been antagonistic and rude enough to start that it won't be hard.

However, that's exactly why you should keep me around. If you want to take your chances within the 'tester' circuit, by all means. It seems poor game sense to me to bring your best competitors into lategame though.

By the same token, isn't this an attack on anyone outside of your tester group? I dunno, dividing into groups like that seems as counter-productive as not.

I'm making an assumption that might be false; most players are going to be testers, out to actually play the game and win. You can't lump all of the testers into one big alliance, you really need to work in smaller groups. Notice the reason I said we want to remove lurkers and identified jokers; it's to free up their words from the vaults of PM. early game, everyone's number one goal should be building knowledge bases. You've just established a strategy where you keep those words locked away until anyone you think would be faster at decoding than you is gone.

It's a strategy of disinformation, or withheld knowledge. Why would I keep someone around who is committed to a strategy completely at odds with what I see as the best strategy to pursue?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

You're right that you don't want to bring strong players to the end, but at the same time, if the strong players just keep eliminating strong players they won't have a majority anymore. If Byers sees me as part of his group of strong players, he would want my assistance in trimming dead weight players before turning on me or before I on him.

This.

Look at it from a Survivor perspective; there will be a time when the alliances made early fall to backstabbing, but not before they do the work necessary to put the alliance members a position to win. In Survivor, it's winning challenges. Here, it's building out the known words and word positions.

In my first strategy post, I even laid out when it would be time to turn on the big threats. That betrayal is a foregone conclusion.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Byers2142 posted:

Actually, I'll go a step further than just our survival. There is one and only one group of people that should not vote for Somber today. That's people who are convinced that they can beat him heads up, but can convince him that they're incompetent at the same time.

His vote shows that he plans to eliminate anyone that he thinks can beat him. It's an implicit admission that he will only work with people he's decided he can beat, hands down, in a straight-up logic-off. So if you don't think you can beat him, you don't want him working with you ebcause he's going to be actively setting you up to fail. If you think you can beat him, and that you won't be able to hide your skill at puzzles/logic/etc., you need him gone for sheer survival.

The only way you can justify not voting him right now is if you truly believe that you can beat him, but you also believe you can fool him and hide that fact so that he will work with you and not target you. This is a game about building some form of trust and cooperation amongst a small group (say 3 to 5 players) to build out the knowledge base needed to win prior to being eliminated due to the daily vote; Somber's already fired the first salvo in creating an alliance where he and only he has the slightest chance to come out on top. So if you're cleverer than him and socially adept enough to lie, maybe you can turn the tables on him. Otherwise, his play is anathema to you winning.

Just as a point of order, my goal isn't the elimination of all superior players. That's impossible to determine and has some weird connotations. I do think that I would probably lose any kind of logic puzzle game to you, winvirus, or merk, so it seems like poor play to try and work around that. I don't know anyone else here well enough to make that kind of determination about them, but I'm willing to take my chances because I signed up for this :shobon:

I think maybe you're misconstruing what I've said for sake of some convenient rhetoric disguised as game logic, or else I'm misunderstanding and I apologize. I don't think there's anyone here who won't take the game seriously, 'lurkers and jokers' as you say, is there? Can I ask who you're thinking of? I'm also not sure where I advocated for restricting information, although I did express concerns over trusting any public information. Winvirus flip will have a code sequence, just like mine.

I just don't feel confident enough in my game to try and play next to some of the players I mentioned earlier. I'm still excited to try and puzzle my way through this, although I have to admit I don't like my chances even if I succeeded in my elimination strategy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, that's a lot of replies very quickly.

I'm half-convinced we would have been better off starting during the night, because to my mind, the private communications seem very important.

Byers has already started building an alliance, which makes him immediately dangerous, as Sombrero points out (same with winvirus). On the other hand, Byers makes some good points against Sombrero, as well. Generally speaking, I feel like the first-day vote is halfway random, anyhow, since we're making it without a lot of knowledge.

I'm withholding my vote for now, due to not wanting to commit to screwing over someone with the tiebreaker rule.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Just as a point of order, my goal isn't the elimination of all superior players. That's impossible to determine and has some weird connotations. I do think that I would probably lose any kind of logic puzzle game to you, winvirus, or merk, so it seems like poor play to try and work around that. I don't know anyone else here well enough to make that kind of determination about them, but I'm willing to take my chances because I signed up for this :shobon:

I think maybe you're misconstruing what I've said for sake of some convenient rhetoric disguised as game logic, or else I'm misunderstanding and I apologize. I don't think there's anyone here who won't take the game seriously, 'lurkers and jokers' as you say, is there? Can I ask who you're thinking of? I'm also not sure where I advocated for restricting information, although I did express concerns over trusting any public information. Winvirus flip will have a code sequence, just like mine.

I just don't feel confident enough in my game to try and play next to some of the players I mentioned earlier. I'm still excited to try and puzzle my way through this, although I have to admit I don't like my chances even if I succeeded in my elimination strategy.

Ok, so a few points:
  • Let's say you succeed in convincing people to vote out me, winvirus, and merk, but during those days you find that ActingPower is really tearing it up. He finds an algorithm to slot known words into their proper place with only a single day to test for it, he's talked with multiple people OOT and he's moved up your list of threats. You would eliminate him. Conversely, Hal's been busy, never managed to post much, isn't really talking OOT. You'd keep him around; his word is locked in his PM and because there's no sharing coming from him or flips showing his word, it removes the ability for players to learn his word. That is the what I mean when I say your strategy limits knowledge, because it keeps people in the game who are not being communicative. You're declaring that right from the start you're going to vote with the ultimate goal of allowing information to be withheld in favor of removing strong players, because you're favoring the retention of the less vocal, weaker players.
  • I can't right now say who's a lurker or a joker, but they will exist. Think about any mafia game you read, heck, any game period on SA. People sign up for games, realize they're not really interested, and then either just don't play or decide to troll. And these players might be people that are active in other games. For instance, look at winvirus. He is the king of fake cop claims in mafia because it's funny, and has sunk his team a time or two when he's decided to do something funny. He's also really good when he applies himself. Is this going to be an "applies himself" game, or is his guess list every day going to be TITFUCK? There will be lurkers and jokers, and they should be voted out to reveal their info. I don't know who that's going to be yet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Byers, I can't help but feel like you're arguing to argue!

If I think someone is about to solve the game or is much closer than I am, of course I am going to want them out of the game. Don't you feel the same way? Am I just misunderstanding your point? Why would this ever not be true?

If there are people you think won't win the game, why would it make sense to vote them out? More information will help you, but also all of your competitors, so I'm not sure why you're saying there's an advantage there. Is the idea that you're smart and social enough to do more with their flip than your other smart and social opponents?

I dunno, if you have the idea that I'm going to try my hardest to make sure the game descends into poo poo-posting, then that's not true. It's a little intense at work this week so I can't keep up with the back-and-forth and might be missing something here. Sorry!

If your name isn't Byers or winvirus and you're reading this wondering why you should vote Byers or winvirus, it's because it's a no-lose proposition for you. I have no doubt they'll contribute extensively to the puzzle. However there's already a strong de facto alliance set up, I think every successive day will make them more dangerous. As far as I can tell, Byers is actually just voting me in hopes of eliminating someone opposed to him, which is perfectly sensible and valid for Byers but not for very many other people.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Whoa, I thought there was going to be a night zero communication submission, this kinda shakes things up.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I like how you call it a "de facto alliance" when you literally forced that situation. You're targeting players like me, and Byers, and merk, and etc, through your own admissions, because you believe they're stronger or smarter than you. When you literally name multiple players you think are threats they will all fire back at you. You can't call it a de facto alliance when you've literally engineered this situation. Stop spinning garbage.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Hrm. Withholding my vote for now. I'd like to see how things shape up. I'm not a tester, a joker, or a lurker. I don't know where that leaves me, but I can't help but feel that Byers just alienated a few people, including myself. As well, I don't trust Somberbrero.

I guess I'll find out soon where the leaves me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nevermore214 posted:

Hrm. Withholding my vote for now. I'd like to see how things shape up. I'm not a tester, a joker, or a lurker. I don't know where that leaves me, but I can't help but feel that Byers just alienated a few people, including myself. As well, I don't trust Somberbrero.

I guess I'll find out soon where the leaves me.

I'm kinda curious why you'd feel alienated by what Byers said - why don't you think you'd be considered a tester?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lol somber and Byers have the same strategy just done in a different order.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Byers, I can't help but feel like you're arguing to argue!

If I think someone is about to solve the game or is much closer than I am, of course I am going to want them out of the game. Don't you feel the same way? Am I just misunderstanding your point? Why would this ever not be true?

This is not the position you started with; you're voting for people that you think you can't beat, right now. No one is close to solving the puzzle right now, but you're voting for the people you feel threatened by, which in turn allows people who will never share any information to remain. That's been my point this whole time; my first post was about eliminating people that would not share early, but your strategy is to let them linger while voting out threats.

If you're willing to target winvirus and me, especially when I was one of the people who started trying to start dialogue early, it shows you're not going to be cooperative or collaborative in any way. You'll withhold information from anyone you think might be able to beat you, and your strategy leaves similar uncooperative players in the game so you can further your "kill the clever ones" agenda.

I was pretty clear several times, there's a point where you turn to attack the players in positions of power. You're doing it right away, trying to ensure that you're left in a game where no one but you has power. That is why I think people should vote you.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lol somber and Byers have the same strategy just done in a different order.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty bang-on summation.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

winvirus posted:

I like how you call it a "de facto alliance" when you literally forced that situation. You're targeting players like me, and Byers, and merk, and etc, through your own admissions, because you believe they're stronger or smarter than you. When you literally name multiple players you think are threats they will all fire back at you. You can't call it a de facto alliance when you've literally engineered this situation. Stop spinning garbage.

Right, I don't disagree with that assessment of the situation. De facto just indicates that, whether or not you and the other folks joined in a Formal Alliancetm, you're in the same boat together now as a result of my earlier post, apparently. I fully appreciate why I'm being voted by Byers, it only makes sense to eliminate someone who is a perceived threat. It's just a question of whether people want to vote out an outlier with a low chance of winning who lost a bunch of friends day one, or a self-professed Strong, Smart, Competitive player in a group with a couple other such players.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Somber, have you watched the Genius Game?

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm kinda curious why you'd feel alienated by what Byers said - why don't you think you'd be considered a tester?

I read into it too much. Basically, anyone who's a Tester but has middling skill can side either way (if we choose to separate ourselves by Byers v Somberbrero) and be relatively safe for the early game. I jumped the gun. Sorry, Byers.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nevermore214 posted:

I read into it too much. Basically, anyone who's a Tester but has middling skill can side either way (if we choose to separate ourselves by Byers v Somberbrero) and be relatively safe for the early game. I jumped the gun. Sorry, Byers.

The way I interpreted it is that if you're trying to win whatsoever, you're a tester. Jokers are just trying to slow others down, lurkers aren't doing anything but keeping their information guarded.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I hit 0 for 13 on my word list. Rip

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Byers2142 posted:

This is not the position you started with; you're voting for people that you think you can't beat, right now. No one is close to solving the puzzle right now, but you're voting for the people you feel threatened by, which in turn allows people who will never share any information to remain. That's been my point this whole time; my first post was about eliminating people that would not share early, but your strategy is to let them linger while voting out threats.

If you're willing to target winvirus and me, especially when I was one of the people who started trying to start dialogue early, it shows you're not going to be cooperative or collaborative in any way. You'll withhold information from anyone you think might be able to beat you, and your strategy leaves similar uncooperative players in the game so you can further your "kill the clever ones" agenda.

I was pretty clear several times, there's a point where you turn to attack the players in positions of power. You're doing it right away, trying to ensure that you're left in a game where no one but you has power. That is why I think people should vote you.

Okay, I agree that I am voting people I feel threatened by. I do not agree that I am promoting a no-information strategy. You can infer that from my posts if you want, but it's not what I'm trying to say. It's not a question of eliminating strong players and leaving weak players, that sounds kinda lovely. It's a question of eliminating the strongest players.

I don't think anything about my level of involvement indicates that I'm going to be uncooperative or collaborative. I'm personally really excited about the social aspect of this game.

Power of Pecota posted:

Somber, have you watched the Genius Game?

Nope! It looked good + cool though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

imo everybody should rally around me

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Nope! It looked good + cool though.

You're pretty much suggesting the announcer's alliance from season 2, which made the season lovely + boring

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Power of Pecota posted:

You're pretty much suggesting the announcer's alliance from season 2, which made the season lovely + boring

Aw man, but I feel like this game is already super interesting. Byers is yelling at me, people are too timid to put down votes, and there's a ton of early posting.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

The way I interpreted it is that if you're trying to win whatsoever, you're a tester. Jokers are just trying to slow others down, lurkers aren't doing anything but keeping their information guarded.

This was my intent in the post, as well.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

winvirus posted:

I hit 0 for 13 on my word list. Rip

I whiffed on everything but my personal word too :coffeepal:

I had no idea how Poque could resist using CORNCOB

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I definitely like the idea of voting out the lurkers first. Someone who isn't posting will also probably be incommunicado via PMs as well, and so voting them out is the only way to get their information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Isn't it silly to guess your personal word?

• Locked thread