Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

EXAKT Science posted:

I definitely like the idea of voting out the lurkers first. Someone who isn't posting will also probably be incommunicado via PMs as well, and so voting them out is the only way to get their information.

Until Somber laid down his vote, this was definitely going to be my strategy; wait and see who by Wednesday hasn't really locked in, vote out the lurking fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

There's no deadline tonight? Gee I feel silly for submitting my word list already :v:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
0/0/0, yeesh.

I'll give out everything I tried to anyone who feels like talking tonight, seems silly not to.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Poque, what happens if the person you've chosen to communicate with gets voted out? Are you SOL, or are you allowed to switch? Are we allowed to declare a backup option (i.e. "Person X, unless they're voted out, in which case Person Y")?

My preference is the latter option, as it seems fairest to the people who can't be around at the deadline for a particular day (easy to get screwed by last-minute vote-switching).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm totally fine with conditional submissions for communication lines, provided the conditions are specifically around player eliminations. Nothing related to "Player X, unless they pick me"

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Why would you put your own word in your submission. You know what and where it is, you should try to figure out other words. From what people have put in the thread, and my own submissions, I am working at writing a list of words that aren't correct.

Though it's mostly so I don't guess the same words multiple times.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Strong Mouse posted:

Why would you put your own word in your submission. You know what and where it is, you should try to figure out other words. From what people have put in the thread, and my own submissions, I am working at writing a list of words that aren't correct.

Though it's mostly so I don't guess the same words multiple times.

I didn't think much of today's submission because it's guessing random seven letter words and any pings are going to be dumb luck.

I'll tell you that if I was going to guess another word it would have been "warthog", feel free to guess that on your list and see if you get anything from it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh wow, things have already kicked into gear. Hey guys, how y'all doing?

Somber, I like to think that we know each other a little given how many mafia games we've played. And I think you know me well enough to know how I'm thinking about this game. I like the way you think so far and I think we share certain opinions about how to tackle this problem. I can't promise that I'll work with you forever and I'm not going to hide the fact that I want to win but how do you feel about working together for at least a little while? I think our strategy would click pretty well.

Byers, you instantly flipped your values based on one vote from an unaligned player. Are you really running that scared? I saw your season of Awful Survivor, you're better than that. I see no reason to believe a single word you've said so far in this game.

winv, you just won the Genius. I think it should be somebody else's turn.

merk, is your codeword THBEAST?

Hal/MMM/Pecota, hey guys I know you from the mafias! How's it going?

The rest of you, I've no idea who you are but I look forward to finding out! Here's hoping for a fun game! PS. Don't believe a word Byers says, he's spouting bullshit.

##vote winvirus

My word is two words mushed together, by the way. Have fun with that!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rarity, I think alliances in this game are more tenuous than most so I don't expect you to float me through the game. If you wanna work together on the puzzle, I think that'd be fun! You offer a unique perspective to most games. I'll drop you a line.

My word is an actual word, by the by.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

You offer a unique perspective to most games.

This is a nice way of calling me an idiot, isn't it? :saddowns:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Haha, I legitimately have trouble working from your point-of-view but I don't think that makes either of us idiots. It took me a couple games lot of mafia to figure out how to read you at all.

I have to admit that I've been so focused on the social aspect that I've barely considered how to actually crack the code.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My word is also not a dictionary word. Which makes sense, if you're running this game, and you want it to be a game of psychology and logic rather than lucky guessing on a dictionary attack. That being said, I suspect Sombrero is lying about his word being "an actual word."

Rarity, I find it interesting that you put forth what a snake in the grass Byers is, and then vote for winvirus. I suppose it makes sense from a "not wanting the guy Byers wants dead to die" perspective, but really, with so few votes already cast, it seems like it would make more sense for you to vote for Byers, start a bandwagon there.

All of that being said, I think the biggest threat night 1 has nothing to do with lurkers or logic; the biggest threat night 1 is psychology. The person who gets contacted by the most people is going to be able to form the biggest alliance, and have more knowledge than anyone else (since who contacts who isn't public knowledge). From what I've seen so far, our biggest threat from that perspective is Byers, so I am going to ##vote Byers2142.

I think Byers sees this exactly the same way I do, which is why he's painted winvirus as a wild card (i.e. "don't contact that guy, he's unreliable") and Somberbrero as aggressive and offputting (though Somberbrero hasn't done himself many favors in that department). He's also made a point of making himself seem well-reasoned and calm, most likely in an effort to get as many people to contact him as possible.

I suspect winvirus is just voting Somberbrero defensively, but if that's the case, I think he'd do himself a favor switching his vote to Byers.

I also admit to being at something of a disadvantage, this being my first mafia-style game on these forums.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I would definitely want to wait a couple of rounds before we started going after lurkers, so that we could see if they have anything to say after a vote. I don't know who to go after right now, since I have a problem of seeing an argument and agreeing with it, the seeing an opposing argument and agreeing with that one as well.

I am going to wait and see what other people's reasons for choosing somebody are before I decide who I think should go.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanatosian posted:

Rarity, I find it interesting that you put forth what a snake in the grass Byers is, and then vote for winvirus. I suppose it makes sense from a "not wanting the guy Byers wants dead to die" perspective, but really, with so few votes already cast, it seems like it would make more sense for you to vote for Byers, start a bandwagon there.

I'm happy to switch my vote to Byers but there was already a vote on winv and the impression I had was that the two of them were forming an alliance so to me a vote for one is as good as a vote for the other. And I did mean what I said about Awful Genius, winv won a huge forums game just a few weeks ago by ringleading the entire game. I don't want to see that happen again because it's boring.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Thanatosian, I know you have no reason to believe me, but I'm serious when I say that my word is an actual real word that you have seen before. I'm a little confused at the inclusion of nonsense words.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Thanatosian, I know you have no reason to believe me, but I'm serious when I say that my word is an actual real word that you have seen before. I'm a little confused at the inclusion of nonsense words.

On investigation my word is also an actual word! I just never heard it before :v:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Man, you're all posting so fast! I'm still our and about on my phone, so nothing big yet from me.

All I wanted to say was that my word is a proper noun. So... make of that what you will.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

I didn't say "oh, Somberbrero is for-sure definitely lying." Just that I suspect it.

And not a dictionary word doesn't necessarily mean "nonsense words." It could be a proper noun, a combination of two smaller words, an onomatopoeia, etc.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Mine is also a dictionary word, just a very obscure one.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Rarity posted:

Byers, you instantly flipped your values based on one vote from an unaligned player. Are you really running that scared? I saw your season of Awful Survivor, you're better than that. I see no reason to believe a single word you've said so far in this game.

I switched when I saw someone start voting in a way that immediate makes me a target. You've played in games with me before and you're not stupid; you know exactly why I reacted like I did, and you're trying to play dumb here. You've decided you're in the group I said should not vote Somber; you think you can beat him in a game of wits, and can disguise that fact. To be honest, you're probably not wrong.

Just don't hide why you're attacking winvirus and me and siding with Somber behind falsities. You see an opportunity to remove several big threats back-to-back-to-back: winvirus, me, and likely merk like Somber wants. You just feel like you need to hide what you're really doing for public appearance's sake. I saw your season of Awful Survivor, you're better than that.

Thanatosian posted:

This is a sign of how her desires are at odds with her public words. Somber's posts pushed winvirus and me into a forced grouping, and she wants to see that grouping go away because it puts her in a better position. But what she's doing in her posts is trying to paint this in a way that makes her look less selfish.

You're voting me, for instance, and you're doing so for a clearly stated reason. You think I have an edge in the game, and want to remove me before I can exploit it. That's a clear, truthful reason to vote someone. That is not how Rarity decided to play the game.

As for your vote on me, ironically I don't want a lot of people talking with me. I said before I think working with 3-5 people is optimal. Here's how:

Those 3-5 people openly share about 75% of what they know about the words. Working together, they can use their guesses once they know words to pin down between two and six word positions in a single day's guessing. This gives that small group a leg up on the rest of the players, and the 25% they've all held back is where they can race for the win. This is the optimal alliance in this game, where there's an understood element of secrecy, but all shared information is done together and done truthfully.

This is not the type of alliance players like Somber and Rarity are lining up for. Somber wants an alliance he is smarter than, Rarity thinks she can slowplay Somber. They're going into it lying.

Last thing, my comments about winvirus weren't meant to denigrated him in the sense of "don't contact that guy, he's unreliable," though I see where you could take that from my comments. I was trying to get across what I mean about jokers with a concrete example, not say you shouldn't contact him. I'm not, but not because I wouldn't trust him.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Rarity, if you sincerely believe "winvirus, you just won The Genius Game, it's someone else's turn" is actually valid reasoning, then I really don't know what to say. I play games because I am competitive and it's fun to play to win. I don't win often, but if I do, it shouldn't preclude me from winning again at a totally unrelated game, because that's several magnitudes of dumb

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

And, as was previously stated by someone, very accurately, my vote on Somberbrero is defensive in nature. I am open to other candidates.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My word is an awesome real word that will kill all your words.

Also I am heading to a Nuggets game right now but I will watch up when I get home.

Also also I will work with anyone who isn't a douche.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

I switched when I saw someone start voting in a way that immediate makes me a target. You've played in games with me before and you're not stupid; you know exactly why I reacted like I did, and you're trying to play dumb here. You've decided you're in the group I said should not vote Somber; you think you can beat him in a game of wits, and can disguise that fact. To be honest, you're probably not wrong.

Just don't hide why you're attacking winvirus and me and siding with Somber behind falsities. You see an opportunity to remove several big threats back-to-back-to-back: winvirus, me, and likely merk like Somber wants. You just feel like you need to hide what you're really doing for public appearance's sake. I saw your season of Awful Survivor, you're better than that.

This is a sign of how her desires are at odds with her public words. Somber's posts pushed winvirus and me into a forced grouping, and she wants to see that grouping go away because it puts her in a better position. But what she's doing in her posts is trying to paint this in a way that makes her look less selfish.

You're really not paying attention to what I've actually said, have you? I'm not promising to go with Somber to the final 2 or be lifelong BFFs or anything. I don't even know if I can beat him or anyone in the codebreaking side of this game because we haven't had a real chance to get stuck in to it and see how it works. And you're wrong about merk, I'm open to hearing him out but he hasn't said anything yet so there's not really anything I can discuss there. And is my vote selfish? Of course it is. So is yours and so is winv's and so is Somber's. We're all here to vote in a way that will get us further in this game. I kinda thought that was so obvious it didn't need to be said.

And you clearly haven't seen my season of Awful Survivor because if you had you'd know it was actually Awful Big Brother, which just shows you're only saying words to make yourself look good without paying attention to what's actually true.

winvirus posted:

Rarity, if you sincerely believe "winvirus, you just won The Genius Game, it's someone else's turn" is actually valid reasoning, then I really don't know what to say.

It's my vote and I can do it what I want with it, Dad!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also also I will work with anyone who isn't a douche.

Aww :(

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would make an exception for you!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Not a fan of the constructed line drawing that's happened with Somber and Byers

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MildManeredManikin posted:

Not a fan of the constructed line drawing that's happened with Somber and Byers

Honestly, my plan was to vote Byers this round, and Somber next round, because I am inclined to agree.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I would have gone in the other order, but yeah.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It would be interesting if everybody divided up into groups of 3. Three is an easy alliance number because if coordinate communication then you can end up talking to both of the people in your alliance that aren't you.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Strong mouse, How are you doing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I would have gone in the other order, but yeah.
I figure Bryers is more likely to pick up more allies this round.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

And you clearly haven't seen my season of Awful Survivor because if you had you'd know it was actually Awful Big Brother, which just shows you're only saying words to make yourself look good without paying attention to what's actually true.

oh it truly does hurt when people pretend to have read your other games doesn't it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I figure Bryers is more likely to pick up more allies this round.

I was thinking about that. Winv and him already have The De Facto Alliance and he's implied merk will want to be part of it and PoP seems to like the idea as well.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I dunno Manny, you've already proposed as much as I have in drawing a line at the line drawing. You have a proposed elimination sequence, just like Byers2142 or I.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What I specifically had a problem with was the idea that people should follow either you or byers. I don't think it's something either of you directly said but it's what I felt coming across. Gave me a very two party system vibe.

More importantly it was ok when I did it because I'm me.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Ugh, all this alliance-making! Can't we all just get along? :)

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Strong mouse, How are you doing?

I'm awake. I just enjoying this back and forth that people have going. To me, it doesn't matter who we vote out (well excepting myself) it just means potentially more data. I'm taking a wait and see approach currently.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was thinking about that. Winv and him already have The De Facto Alliance and he's implied merk will want to be part of it and PoP seems to like the idea as well.

Following Byers' proposition for voting gives everyone a chance to play, following Somber's doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Following Byers' proposition for voting gives everyone a chance to play, following Somber's doesn't.

That's a very good point!

• Locked thread