Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Today, a vendor asked me to test logging into their site and the site wouldn't even load. After a little troubleshooting, I realized that the GPO we rolled out to address POODLE a few weeks ago was blocking the site, because the site only supports SSL3.

I reported back to the vendor the explanation on why I couldn't test, and raised questions on why they were behind the curve on this, specially when they are holding sensitive medical information. I said "I'll be happy to test once your server supports TLS 1.0 or greater". They typically respond within an hour, and it's been 3 hours without a response :ohdear:

I'm far from godly when it comes to security, but I saw coverage on this pretty much everywhere without even trying. I'm not sure whether to accept that they have neglected this until now. Blargh :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

FISHMANPET posted:

So reach for the stars when applying for jobs etc etc, but if a job asks for a specific cert, but I don't have that cert (but am willing to get that cert and it's on my mental road map anyway), how should I spin that?

Tell them what you told us.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

Would it be better just have it as a tax write-off as opposed to getting a stipend?

It'd probably be best to get a stipend for almost anyone.

If you get $20 a month stipend for your phone, that's $240 a month. I don't know if that's taxed though.

$60 a month in tax deductions would just reduce your taxable income by $720 and unless you're making more than $180K a year, it'll be worth less than the stipend.

This is going to depend on the actual dollar amounts though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Would it be better just have it as a tax write-off as opposed to getting a stipend?

It's always better to receive any amount of money as cash/debit than as a tax writeoff. At best a tax writeoff gets you something around 39% of that writeoff from the taxes you have to pay - as such just getting the money always comes out ahead.

Unless you're super rich and you're receiving write offs as part of an elaborate accountant managed scheme that also involves shell corporations and offshore accounts, of course.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh yeah, it would be a lot better to have it as a stipend. But that ain't happening.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My ShoreTel phones keep taking a poo poo, seemingly randomly around campus. It's happening at 8 or 9 minutes after the hour, 6 hours apart. Except for when it doesn't match that pattern, maybe 10% of the time, hence the confusion.

Our theory is that there's some device out there that was connected last week causing this, but we haven't been able to track it down. It doesn't seem to affect anything else, and the phones just freeze-- they still display the user's name and other details, but when you pick it up there's no dial tone. Shortly after, the phone will display No Ethernet. A hard reset will fix it, so today we affixed 120v timers to every Power Injector on campus to force a reboot at 6am every day. We've got WireShark running on a few laptops at known failure locations, so hopefully reviewing logs tomorrow will turn up something.

It's such a strange problem and I have so little information that I doubt anyone here will have answers, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
Wasn't there a problem where a single bad Ethernet adapter took down LAX?

Yes, there was...

I hate problem like this, granted it feels great once you figure it out but the meantime is terrible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CloFan posted:

My ShoreTel phones keep taking a poo poo, seemingly randomly around campus. It's happening at 8 or 9 minutes after the hour, 6 hours apart. Except for when it doesn't match that pattern, maybe 10% of the time, hence the confusion.

Our theory is that there's some device out there that was connected last week causing this, but we haven't been able to track it down. It doesn't seem to affect anything else, and the phones just freeze-- they still display the user's name and other details, but when you pick it up there's no dial tone. Shortly after, the phone will display No Ethernet. A hard reset will fix it, so today we affixed 120v timers to every Power Injector on campus to force a reboot at 6am every day. We've got WireShark running on a few laptops at known failure locations, so hopefully reviewing logs tomorrow will turn up something.

It's such a strange problem and I have so little information that I doubt anyone here will have answers, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

What type of PoE switches are you using? Only time I've seen "no ethernet" was on a burnt port on a switch. Means the phone is still receiving power but the link was disestablished.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

mewse posted:

What type of PoE switches are you using? Only time I've seen "no ethernet" was on a burnt port on a switch. Means the phone is still receiving power but the link was disestablished.

The switches are no problem; that is, we've written an automated script to reset the port when it goes down. It's the buildings without PoE switches that are the problem, the Power Injectors are just passthrough devices with no monitoring or management capability.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God, I get so much work done when my boss and coworker aren't around. I think I need to move to another place in the office where I can be completely by myself.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

psydude posted:

I'm required to put my cell phone in my email despite not being reimbursed, so I'm writing off 100% of it on taxes because.

"I don't have a cell phone."

"This? No, this isn't mine. I'm carrying it for a friend."

mewse
May 2, 2006

CloFan posted:

The switches are no problem; that is, we've written an automated script to reset the port when it goes down. It's the buildings without PoE switches that are the problem, the Power Injectors are just passthrough devices with no monitoring or management capability.

If the power is continuous but the data side goes down then surely the problem is not with the power injectors?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

mewse posted:

If the power is continuous but the data side goes down then surely the problem is not with the power injectors?

The power injector needs to pass data through and could fail to do so, but I think he's doing that mainly to reset the phone, not the power injector.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

AlternateAccount posted:

"I don't have a cell phone."

"This? No, this isn't mine. I'm carrying it for a friend."

When explaining to the MD how bad of an idea nuking remote access permissions and a mass password reset at the end of the day on a Friday without telling anyone was a bad idea; he asked what my number was, I said the back office line, then he asked for my personal and I just zipped my lip.

Companies can get hosed calling me unless they provide a phone and call out payment. I've only given my number to two lovely ladies I'm on great terms with who work the out of hours service in case of a big emergency.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, what's their beef with Box?

The guy is a bit paranoid and is convinced that the C level guys will upload stuff that should never leave our own machines like say drafts of annual profit reports which did end up on Box in an open to all employees folder.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

mewse posted:

Indeed, resetting the power injectors forces a phone reboot, fixing the problem. A temporary band-aid to be sure, but it works.

Last week while we were investigating this, our ShoreTel vendor/support assured us that this was not the servers acting up and that the problem was elsewhere. Being no closer to a solution after the weekend, we rebooted the ShoreTel servers last night. My boss didn't do this initially because something about it was tough to get back up (some kind of services or features don't start automatically, I'm not sure). The phones haven't gone down since. This was literally a case of, "Did you try turning it off and back on again?", unless it turns out there is a device that somehow interferes with the server, albeit not immediately.

Edit-- And, might have spoke too soon; two buildings just went down :sigh:

CloFan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

CloFan posted:

Indeed, resetting the power injectors forces a phone reboot, fixing the problem. A temporary band-aid to be sure, but it works.

Last week while we were investigating this, our ShoreTel vendor/support assured us that this was not the servers acting up and that the problem was elsewhere. Being no closer to a solution after the weekend, we rebooted the ShoreTel servers last night. My boss didn't do this initially because something about it was tough to get back up (some kind of services or features don't start automatically, I'm not sure). The phones haven't gone down since. This was literally a case of, "Did you try turning it off and back on again?", unless it turns out there is a device that somehow interferes with the server, albeit not immediately.

Edit-- And, might have spoke too soon; two buildings just went down :sigh:

We've had a problem with voicemails being garbled like entire sections of the message would get skipped, I think we've fixed it by rebooting HQ.

Our vendor's support is useless. We had a problem with our network and were trying to work it out with our provider and our vendor wanted to come in, tell us "the problem is the network" and then invoice us because it didn't involve the Shoretel equipment. We need our own support account with Shoretel to bypass those clowns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BigPaddy posted:

The guy is a bit paranoid and is convinced that the C level guys will upload stuff that should never leave our own machines like say drafts of annual profit reports which did end up on Box in an open to all employees folder.
It's not just a matter of "paranoia" surrounding intellectual property or trade secrets, there can be real regulatory compliance issues at play due to the IT controls requirements of SOX, HIPAA, and others. The laws are written so that the CEO and CFO are ultimately culpable for the contents of financial reports, but there's well-founded fears that the government may go after CIOs as well as Information Technology VPs and directors if there are poor IT controls in place.

Super Slash posted:

When explaining to the MD how bad of an idea nuking remote access permissions and a mass password reset at the end of the day on a Friday without telling anyone was a bad idea; he asked what my number was, I said the back office line, then he asked for my personal and I just zipped my lip.

Companies can get hosed calling me unless they provide a phone and call out payment. I've only given my number to two lovely ladies I'm on great terms with who work the out of hours service in case of a big emergency.
When I worked for Time Inc., we had to give our personal contact information in case of emergencies, but only the NOC was ever allowed to see the number directly. In case of an emergency, someone could call the NOC and they would put the caller through and sit on the call until a resolution or plan of action was reached. If it was a bullshit call, the caller would get reported and receive a direct reprimand. Despite being a Fortune 500 company at the time (it's since been spun off from Time Warner), it was one of the nicest IT environments I've ever worked in.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 4, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I tell my guys not to give out their cell # to clients and if they do so its at their own loving peril. After hours/emergency support calls go through me and I am the Ultimate loving Arbiter of what is and is not an emergency.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Super Slash posted:

I've only given my number to two lovely ladies I'm on great terms with who work the out of hours service in case of a big emergency.

I guess you could call that...a reBOOTY call! :tutbutt:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've never given out my cell number, but I have called clients who I know have caller ID without blocking it. Nobody has ever called my cell, but I would just tell them the same thing I tell anybody asking for it to begin with:

I don't do side work, and I don't control my own scheduling, so you need to call the office anyway.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
I told a client once you cannot call me directly, off-hours. If it's busy, call my manager or your account representative. It's company policy.

The next day my manager told me "You know tab8715, you could have gone the extra mile. I'm really disappointed in you."

Since I last worked there which is about 10 years ago the office I worked at has shrunk by half and I know for a fact at least over $250k/y of IT Services (non-sales) has gone to other companies. Not surprised.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 4, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I told a client once you cannot call me directly, off-hours. If it's busy, call my manager or your account representative. It's company policy.

The next day my manager told me "You know tab8715, you could have gone the extra mile. I'm really disappointed in you."

Since I last worked there which is about 10 years ago the office I worked at has shrunk by half and I know for a fact at least over $250k/y of IT Services (non-sales) has gone to other companies. Not surprised.
"Putting aside company policy, you really could have gone the extra mile by increasing your workload instead of increasing my workload."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Richard Noggin posted:

I guess you could call that...a reBOOTY call! :tutbutt:

I'm stealing this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I usually ignore numbers I don't recognize after hours anyway. They can leave me a message if it's that important.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

psydude posted:

I usually ignore numbers I don't recognize after hours anyway. They can gently caress off and die (or just call the helpdesk).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

psydude posted:

I usually ignore numbers I don't recognize after hours anyway. They can leave me a message if it's that important.

That and I don't ever check my voicemail :getin:

They can send me a text / email if it's that important

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Good, I thought I was the only one who hated voicemail. Seriously I will leave that little red light blinking all loving day. If you need me, spell it out...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You guys are missing the point. It's not about what is and isn't important. It's about fulfilling the requirement while maintaining plausible deniability even though you're skirting the intent, also known as shamming.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Like 3 people here know what shamming is. Maybe just us.

Just signed up for the SANS 511 course in March because why not I want to take some more training and I'm not motivated enough right now to take GCIH; planned for summer 2015.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Best CO I ever had had a lot of side projects for us. Generally involving zombie mode in Black Ops. That's shamming.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Vague question here regarding how corporate software licenses are handled.

Say if Bob is hired and the company purchases a license for Microsoft Visual Studio so he can do some work. Later, Bob is fired. Am I correct in assuming that the company owns the license and they can give it to the next person that fills Bob's shoes without incurring additional costs? And the next and the next etc..?

I'd like to get a copy of Visual Studios at work so I can help out on a project. I'd like to avoid looking like an idiot when I walk over to the IT department and ask if they have any Visual Studio licenses lying around.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hughmoris posted:

Vague question here regarding how corporate software licenses are handled.

Say if Bob is hired and the company purchases a license for Microsoft Visual Studio so he can do some work. Later, Bob is fired. Am I correct in assuming that the company owns the license and they can give it to the next person that fills Bob's shoes without incurring additional costs? And the next and the next etc..?

I'd like to get a copy of Visual Studios at work so I can help out on a project. I'd like to avoid looking like an idiot when I walk over to the IT department and ask if they have any Visual Studio licenses lying around.

Yes if there's a developer that uses something in particular the company will buy it and the license will be owned by the company while their employee uses it. They may want to do the install, they may have licenses, they may have you have your manager request it for you and then it'll get purchased and IT will put it on your machine, but there will be a way to request specific software from IT (unless they say no).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Generally speaking, they won't have any. I can tell you if you asked me for a copy I would just install it for you and let our annual Microsoft license true-up catch it.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
I had someone ask a bit huffily if I hadn't gotten her voicemail yet. I cheerily replied that I saw her email and called her immediately. I haven't gotten a single voicemail since. :getin:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hate the telephone but I hate voicemail even more

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Through our mobile provider we get an app that looks up who is calling you from the internal company phonebook and displays it. On iPhone you have to look at the app after the call has ended, while on Android it will show who is calling while the call is incoming.

I keep an Android phone with a twin sim card in it on my desk just so I can see who is calling me directly and trying to skip the Helpdesk phone line.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
So with all this voicemail/email discussion, I have a question for those of you who receive reference calls. (about former employees/peers)

Would you rather receive (and would you respond to) an email reference request or a phone call? The email would be a quick survey you have to fill out, and the phone call would be a 5-10 minute conversation with someone like me, asking about the candidate and their skills/background.

I ask because my company is now implementing a new system for references that is totally online and takes me out of the process unless I want to do it manually. On one hand, I hate it because I feel like automating things like this is what big, transactional agencies do and it takes the "human element" out that you get when we call. On the other hand, I hate voicemails and personally would rather do email so I'm contradicting myself by wanting to make the calls as opposed to the email system.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

So with all this voicemail/email discussion, I have a question for those of you who receive reference calls. (about former employees/peers)

Would you rather receive (and would you respond to) an email reference request or a phone call? The email would be a quick survey you have to fill out, and the phone call would be a 5-10 minute conversation with someone like me, asking about the candidate and their skills/background.

I ask because my company is now implementing a new system for references that is totally online and takes me out of the process unless I want to do it manually. On one hand, I hate it because I feel like automating things like this is what big, transactional agencies do and it takes the "human element" out that you get when we call. On the other hand, I hate voicemails and personally would rather do email so I'm contradicting myself by wanting to make the calls as opposed to the email system.

Giving or receiving a reference is one of those rare situations that I think a phone call would be way better than text, for example all the implications a heavy pause can carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mewse posted:

Giving or receiving a reference is one of those rare situations that I think a phone call would be way better than text, for example all the implications a heavy pause can carry.
Implications aside, emails get missed, and this can be bad news for the candidate. This seems like a bad idea all around.