Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I'm the sperg doing spergy analysis for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Greyhawk posted:

Should we crowdfund the next Edward Snowden? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 19 hours ago by 8nam

Rather than waiting until after someone has taken the scary step of coming forward, maybe we can entice insiders. For a prospective whistle-blower, knowing that one might be able to count on some form of "reward" might just be the difference between coming forward or not.

Granted, we'd need to instill plenty of trust in order to attract donations. Maybe we could use an M-of-N address controlled by a number of well-known figures - Glenn Greenwald, Julian Assange, maybe even Edward Snowden himself. Perhaps we'd use lighthouse.

Regardless of the mechanics (which are paramount), do you think this could this work?

publicly enticing treason is a really really good, well thought out idea i hope they go forward with it

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
your honor, my client was just the ideas guy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

filthy regex posted:

your honor, that flag has a gold fringe, which is a naval flag, which makes this court an admiralty court and I'm going to need to see some proof of your right to "captain" the "vessel" of this court room

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Greyhawk posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > Buttcoin: Regardless of the mechanics (which are paramount), do you think this could this work?

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

[–]7badgers 1 point a minute ago
True believers in freedom, liberty and the trustless nature of the protocol will mind their own business.
Only "regulators" need to ask such questions.
lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
berth certificate is my favorite thing

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
signed by the doc(k)

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
berthed by a gold minged slag

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Magic Underwear posted:

publicly enticing treason is a really really good, well thought out idea i hope they go forward with it

don't worry, bitcoin is practically anonymous so the only way anyone could trace them would be if there were some kind of mass government surveillance program, perhaps run by an agency that had a particular reason to be concerned about major leaks.

and really, what are the odds of that?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

hi fishmech

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

>eat "regulator"

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Greyhawk posted:

[–]7badgers 1 point a minute ago
True believers in freedom, liberty and the trustless nature of the protocol will mind their own business.
Only "regulators" need to ask such questions.

whats that? you want transparency and accountability? sounds like something a regulator might say. mind your own business. :smug:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ElectricMucus posted:

>eat "regulator"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ElectricMucus posted:

>eat "regulator"

goty 2014

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

FrozenVent posted:

thanks

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

quote:

Bitcoin Price Manipulation On Centralized Exchanges Seems Coordinated

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-price-manipulation-centralized-exchanges-seems-coordinated/

The Centralized Bitcoin exchanges seem to coordinate their prices across continental divides. One goes down – they all go down. The question is why the public tolerates their scam. If they were useful or desirable, they’d consider the very people who sustain the Bitcoin network, namely Bitcoin miners who, below $400, likely operate at a loss. Exchange clients and miners get whatever is happening in the busiest exchange. The exchanges’ arbitrage-bots equalize prices between one another. Miners – you’re the backbone of this innovation. Cryptomonkeys – you think you’re trading – but your centralized exchange rides you bare-back.

Centralized Exchanges Counting the Days

Central Bank, Central Government, Central Exchange. I’ve been stomping their foot in this column for a while now without any response. Of course, the centralized exchanges Bitstamp, BitFinex, BTC-e, BTC-China, Huobi, etc. won’t respond – they have no retort. They’re hoping no-one will notice, and suckers will just keep depositing bitcoins in their vulnerable, corruptible coffers. Proof-of-solvency. Proof-of-reserve. Proof-of-existence. Proof-of-brain-bamboozle.

What is a centralized exchange?

Bit-namex, legitimate “Western business institution” shopfront, a girlie secretary, AML, a slap on the back of their local centralized bank, slick color-coded website… you know the deal. It’s properly described as “legit”, like when you walk in the high-street bank, obediently provide your government papers, and surrender your hard-earned fiat to a uniformed lady for a fee – just to open the account. Then they charge you monthly for the service. Nice. You’re the patsy, my sucker citizen.
BitFinex Centralized Exchange

BitFinex says they’re based in Hong Kong.The British in Hong Kong are respectable and responsible, right? Yet, BitFinex has no license to show for their operation in Hong Kong.

BeeTeeCeeEee Centralized Exchange

BTC-e. Exactly who is behind this exchange operating from Bulgaria without an address, email or public management structure? The Bitcoin Foundation members helped put DPR behind bars for smack and blow – nothing strange, incidentally, to Wall Street or Silicon Valley whom the Bitcoin Foundation are backside-licking for investment and regulation – yet, let’s ask the Bitcoin Foundation who exactly BTC-e is?

No answer because these centralized buccaneers talk respectable on the one hand but are riding the Bitcoin phenomenon as far as the public will allow them on the other. Put your bitcoins in an exchange, and you no longer control them. Buy and sell your bitcoins in the centralized public exchanges, and they’ll give you some pittance. Go buy and sell via Bitcoin OTC and you’ll be shocked what the exchanges and those in-the-know really get for their bitcoins.

Bitcoin Foundation Centralized Representative Democracy

The Bitcoin Foundation and centralized exchanges are a scam – useful as long as it benefits you, you figure. With a blockchain in place, it needn’t be. Especially if the exchanges’ price management renders the most powerful innovation of our time limp and caught in a downtrend lasting over ten months. That’s not Satoshi’s vision, nor the developers, it’s the exchanges – Bitcoin Foundation sanctioned, centralized, co-ordinated, internally arbitrated, in collusion with the biggest regulated institutional players and unable to provide a sustainable market even for the miners that decentralize and subsidize this fantastical innovation for everyone’s benefit. Why would the Bitcoin Foundation assist the FBI but fail to lobby NYDFS or its own member exchanges for mining sustainability? Think about it, and you smell the stank for what it is: they’re not pro-decentralization, but actively working to undermine it.

Look to the Bitcoin Foundation and the exchanges – not for answers to the above accusations, but for an imminent trajectory to the dustbin of history. They want to be somebodies? Decentralize yourselves and see if the majority still values you.

Bitcoin Price Manipulation

Time of analysis: 17h00 UTC

These are the price junctures where manipulation forced price in the opposite direction than that dictated by wave principle:

BTC-e Daily Chart

I’m not the first analyst to draw this conclusion, and I welcome any contribution for-or-against this Elliott Wave Principle based view.

Time of analysis: 12h00

when the price goes down on one exchange, the price goes down on other exchanges. this is obvious collusion.

quoting almost the whole thing because this paranoia feeds my soul.

i think his whole point is that everyone who likes bitcoin wants it to go up, and it'd be in their interest for it to go up, but it's not going up, so there is manipulation, probably from people who like to smell the federal reserve's farts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what causes those single data points that are so far below the rest

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
manbearpigwhales

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

TVarmy posted:

when the price goes down on one exchange, the price goes down on other exchanges. this is obvious collusion.

quoting almost the whole thing because this paranoia feeds my soul.

i think his whole point is that everyone who likes bitcoin wants it to go up, and it'd be in their interest for it to go up, but it's not going up, so there is manipulation, probably from people who like to smell the federal reserve's farts.

though it's actually really likely that exchanges are making the most off arbitrage, since they'd have priority to move dollars/bitcoins out of their system to take advantage.

probably a pretty good racket tbh

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
decentralize yourselves and face to blockchain

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Winklevoss preso at 20/20 bombs, no ETF launch in sight (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by WeGotCactus

I'm a permabull/hodler myself, and have been a little bit disappointed by the news coming in from Twitter about their presentation. Was hoping for an ETF launch announcement or something new, but it was just a pitch for Bitcoin, and a rather poor one at that which is being described as awkward and poorly tuned for the audience (7,500 payment experts).

Tweets
Miron Lulic ‏@MironLulic Feel pretty bad for the Winklevoss twins. Most of the room emptied by the end. #money2020

Erik Hess ‏@HoyaHess Wow. couldn't handle another minute of the Winklevoss presentation at the #Money2020 conference. #Fail

Eric Isham ‏@216Eric People are running for the exits. The Winklevoss twins are bombing huge! @money2020 #WTF?

Matt White ‏@FinextraMatt
Actually starting to feel sorry for the Winklevoss boys...#money2020

Scott Dueweke ‏@Scott_Dueweke
Winklevoss twins are crashing and burning with awkward and difficult presentation using the periodic table #money2020

Pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1j5CDICMAAkNEP.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1j7FVGCAAAiYz5.jpg

Next time they should send Andreas Antonopoulos.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

til gold is no more real than paper or digital

thanks WINKLEVII!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
im ddoscoin

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

croatoan

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robawesome posted:

Next time they should send Andreas Antonopoulos.

i want to see this because he is a terrible speaker/presenter/trainer/whatever the gently caress he is

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
http://ia902308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.123.0.pdf

quote:

The Stipulated Interim Order empowered Temporary Receiver to manage all assets of BFL and to manage and administer the business of BFL. Doc. #54 at §§ X(B), X(H). The order also authorized the Temporary Receiver to “begin establishing an adequate cash reserve to cover potential refund liability. In this respect and under the supervision of Temporary Receiver, the following actions may occur immediately . . . Conversion of Receivership Defendant’s substantial bitcoin holdings to cash on a systematic and reasoned basis.

IT IS ORDERED that the Temporary Receiver’s proposed Transfer Protocol containing the methodology for transferring bitcoins held in Receivership Defendant Butterfly Labs Inc. (BFL)’s Storage Wallet to a Court-controlled bitcoin wallet, Doc. #122 and Ex. A thereto, is approved

:munch:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Canadian Bitcoin Exchange CAVirtex Faces Class Action Lawsuit
http://bitcoinschannel.com/canadian-bitcoin-exchange-cavirtex-faces-class-action-lawsuit/

CAVirtex, Canada’s largest and oldest Bitcoin online exchange, is facing a potential class action lawsuit to the tune of $884,880 CAD. The alleged losses were incurred by the lawsuit-bringers after the company offered 10% of its shares for sale on the cryptocurrency-based asset exchange, Havelock Investments then stopped listing the stock by the end of 2013.

A total of 10,000 shares were sold on March 23, 2013 and continued to be traded until the end of 2013. At that time, CAVirtex announced that they would no longer be listing stock from Havelock and that they would offer to buy back their shares at an “adjusted exit price” of $30 CAD a share. At the time of the announcement, the stock was trading around $120 CAD a share.

Not only was the exit price unfair but the process for selling the shares was made complex, and many investors were left stock and as a result of this became permanent shareholders in CAVirtex. The class-action lawsuit against CAVirtex is based on the market cap at the time of the incident and takes into account the adjusted exit price offered. Those who feel they have been wronged by CAVirtex have until November 1st to submit a claim by contacting [email protected] with your name, phone number, number of shares you held, and any other relevant information. After November 1st, more details will be revealed; including, the name of the firm behind this.

This is the second time CaVirtex has been in the news this month. On October 6th, they disabled Bitcoin withdraws citing an increase in volume that lead their “hot wallet running dry.” The likelihood of CAVirtex’s actions being related to recent SEC actions increases as more news comes to light.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

CAVirtex operates a bunch of bitcoin ATM's btw

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
so much happening all of a sudden my body can't handle it

money can't be gas or radioactive
some top tier knowledge being dropped on these bankster fools

e: also i'm the butt in the top right corner that's pooping the future

Antlerhill fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 4, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

PayPal keynote happening now (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago * by nypricks

Hill Ferguson chief product officer

Bitcoin was mentioned very early.

NFC penetration with big shout outs to Google

Payments online are too cumbersome.

Consumer and identity convergence.

Pumping pay after delivery. (that'd mesh well with BTC...)

Now available in the US

Payments are sexy. No BTC announcement.

WINKLERS ARE UP

Lots of people broke for the door. They're visibly shook by that. Doing a history of money thing now. Going through the periodic table for what could be a viable money. It's awful right now.

They're trying to explain BTC strengths without saying Bitcoin.

This is torture. People are filing out. They're reading off slides verbatim. Now they're defining the Internet...

Explaining transfer of value via the Internet problem. Even this crowd has a basic BTC knowledge at this point.

Now jumping to pegged sidechains More people leaving. Very awkward and kind of falling apart on stage.

Jumped again to machine to machine transactions. No flow. Very fragmented.

I'd wager that about half of the room has left.

Now app coins enable artificial intelligence... What?
This is not what we need at a payments conference...

Futuristic speed coins that pay other cars to move out of the way. Even I'm confused. I was hoping to hear about the etf but we might as well be on Neptune at this point.

They're trying and I feel bad but this is rough

That's it! Wow what a bomb.

Hahaha I can't believe what I just saw.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robawesome posted:

Hahaha I can't believe what I just saw.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bitcoin requires emitting a fuckload of CO2 emissions so it's more like a gas than anything else

Alternatively, bitcoins are made of farts so they're still wrong

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
please let there be video

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Winkleloss

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Robawesome posted:

Canadian Bitcoin Exchange CAVirtex Faces Class Action Lawsuit
http://bitcoinschannel.com/canadian-bitcoin-exchange-cavirtex-faces-class-action-lawsuit/

CAVirtex, Canada’s largest and oldest Bitcoin online exchange, is facing a potential class action lawsuit to the tune of $884,880 CAD. The alleged losses were incurred by the lawsuit-bringers after the company offered 10% of its shares for sale on the cryptocurrency-based asset exchange, Havelock Investments then stopped listing the stock by the end of 2013.

A total of 10,000 shares were sold on March 23, 2013 and continued to be traded until the end of 2013. At that time, CAVirtex announced that they would no longer be listing stock from Havelock and that they would offer to buy back their shares at an “adjusted exit price” of $30 CAD a share. At the time of the announcement, the stock was trading around $120 CAD a share.

Not only was the exit price unfair but the process for selling the shares was made complex, and many investors were left stock and as a result of this became permanent shareholders in CAVirtex. The class-action lawsuit against CAVirtex is based on the market cap at the time of the incident and takes into account the adjusted exit price offered. Those who feel they have been wronged by CAVirtex have until November 1st to submit a claim by contacting [email protected] with your name, phone number, number of shares you held, and any other relevant information. After November 1st, more details will be revealed; including, the name of the firm behind this.

This is the second time CaVirtex has been in the news this month. On October 6th, they disabled Bitcoin withdraws citing an increase in volume that lead their “hot wallet running dry.” The likelihood of CAVirtex’s actions being related to recent SEC actions increases as more news comes to light.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

TVarmy posted:

Kramer's first name is Cosmo, not Frank. :colbert:

already pictured the one-eyed cat; too late

is there anything like that 'don't loving buy bitcoin' writeup that someone made a few threads ago with the basics of why the protocol is unscalable etc. that's vaguely up to date

I've gotten the 'what's bitcoin' question a few times (thanks cryptolocker) and want to give a real professional answer on why it's hella dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bitcoin is terrible

• Locked thread