Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

So, my advice would be "buy what you want when you can and backlogs be damned" unless you're comfortable with the idea of possibly waiting several years for your next shot at it.

I hear what you're saying and don't entirely disagree but that line of thinking is how I ended up with 300 kits filling what was supposed to be a guest bedroom in five years. If you're actually building at the same speed you acquire then good, but be ready to put the brakes on if you start slowing your build rate.

I could probably stop now and die before clearing my backlog unless I significantly speed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
More Rex progress - I had to stop before attaching the cheek armor and rear ladder piece to take some stuff out of the oven and play League of Legends, but three or four more pieces will complete the head.

The jowl radiators are Alclad pale burnt metal, the blue eyes are just regular clear blue over Tamiya chrome silver, and the pipes are Tamiya chrome silver. I gotta touch that one up.

The Alclad isn't even the metallizer, requiring careful attention paid to the gloss base coat and just barely enough metallizer - it's just one of the metallic paint colors over regular ol' white Alclad primer. These pictures don't to justice. That's just one moderate coat of the stuff. Just one coat, with the singular cheapest airbrush/compressor combo, pressure set by dead reckoning alone.

That one ugly nub will be covered up by the jowl armor.

I feel like I should do something to those little circle bits next to the blue eyes - open to thoughts. Maybe a bit of red with Vallejo metallic medium? Or a really sharp light electric/neon green? I dunno, not sure how it'd look with the blue and silver. Don't wanna overdo the raw metals given that the kneecap launchers are bronze.

I should also note those little pinkish parts are tiny shiny stickers - they came on the kit already. How nice of Kotobukiya!

MJP fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 4, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

I consider the fact I lugged both of these to and from a meeting without anything breaking to be me cheating physics.

EDIT: Holy poo poo this picture looks like crap.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 4, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person in the world that likes the look of non-transformed Unicorn more than the transformed one?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MJP posted:

Am I the only person in the world that likes the look of non-transformed Unicorn more than the transformed one?

I'm happy to report that you're probably in the majority! :)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Gotta be honest, I don't really care much for it in either mode. Normal mode is just boring because it's solid white all over, and Destroy Mode just looks weird to me. It might be because I've never seen the OVA, but I just don't really get the appeal of the suit in an aesthetic sense. :shrug:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The thread title reminded me of a neat service I found recently. Do you want a webshop exclusive but don't want to pay/wait for GG Infinite? I guess you could e-mail the guy running Gentei Kits and hope he picks it up, but you could also just use Yokatta Web.

These guys are basically the most convenient middleman around. For a measly 700 yen per every three items (with some restrictions based on if the item is in limited supply), these guys will place an order and then ship it to you. Service is fast, there's a bunch of extra bells and whistles, and shipping options are very flexible. Paypal and Western Union are both accepted.

Only weird thing about them is that the prices they list on their on-site list of available pre-orders are a little off. I think they're factoring in shipping?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Yes, Yokatta's prices also factor in domestic shipping and the bank fees. The 700 yen is just their personal service fee and also covers their initial warehouse fees because space is hard to come by in Japan.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MJP posted:

I like green psychoframe Unicorn more than the red frame, but Unicorn mode is a close second. Hell, if I get drunk and order a Master Grade Unicorn that'll be the mode it'll stay in since otherwise it'll fall apart at the drop of a hat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TARDISman posted:

I like green psychoframe Unicorn more than the red frame, but Unicorn mode is a close second. Hell, if I get drunk and order a Master Grade Unicorn that'll be the mode it'll stay in since otherwise it'll fall apart at the drop of a hat.

Yeah this is what I'm planning on doing when I get around to that part of my "Look at these dope UC Gundams and their red space nazi counterparts" shelf, but I have a bit. At least two more kits before I get there, if not 4, depending on if I do the RX and Char's Zaku sooner or later.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
From the other thread:

TaurusOxford posted:

Bandai cancelled five AGE Master Grades. AGE sucked THAT bad.

I know of the Garfran, AGE-3 and AGE-FX, but what were the other two?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AGE-3 O and F. It was never announced, but technically AGE-1 FG got canceled too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Not yet topcoated (I'm thinking about going high-gloss, what's wrong with me?!) but the Abigor is pretty well finished aside from a few minor touch-ups here and there.

It won't fit on a modern stand, but the one it came with is... semi-adequate? It's not very well articulated, so it's not a kit that lends itself to fancy poses.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
:siren:HLJ.com is advertising that the Japanese yen is currently in the shitter, so prices are now the cheapest they've been since 2007 if you want to save some cash.:siren:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

:siren:HLJ.com is advertising that the Japanese yen is currently in the shitter, so prices are now the cheapest they've been since 2007 if you want to save some cash.:siren:

on that note,
ZOIDS HMM Series 1/72 EZ-016 Saber Tiger Schwarz Style
is getting a re-release. Formerly a limited edition item that spiked in price as soon as it sold out.
If all the other re-releases are any indication, this one should shoot up to over $100 easily as soon as sales close.
Buy it now if you think you might want it later, you can always easily sell it at a profit.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-RBT-0462-S001

Out of all the zoids, i find the cats to be the best. They have great articulation and pose well compared to the raptors that can hardly balance and have 1000 boosters and guns ready to explode off at any moment.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 4, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

UK Gunpla Goons, it seems I may have found the answer to our struggle. A store with decent prices, and especially reasonable delivery costs.

I've bought a cheap kit with cheap delivery as a dry-run to see what their service is like.

Since I recently watched War in the Pocket, I bought the HGUC Z'gok-E :allears:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

UK Gunpla Goons, it seems I may have found the answer to our struggle. A store with decent prices, and especially reasonable delivery costs.

I've bought a cheap kit with cheap delivery as a dry-run to see what their service is like.

Since I recently watched War in the Pocket, I bought the HGUC Z'gok-E :allears:

Just stay away from build fighters, that show is like wallet Ebola in that it violently expels all it's money

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

They're... okay. I've ordered from them a few times with relative success (their cheapest delivery option uses low-rent couriers like Yodel and Hermes rather than Royal Mail which comes with a fair number of issues), but had a truly terrible experience with them the other week that has kinda sworn me off using them again.

Ordered a Build Burning Gundam and it was delivered by an absolute prick of a courier - he left it on the window ledge outside my ground-floor flat on a rainy day. That would be a fairly irritating incident on its own, but was compounded by the fact that Japan Cool had simply wrapped the kit's box in paper - no packaging box or padding/insulation. So once I got it inside, the kit box had basically been reduced to paper-mache and a couple of the runners were completely wrecked. I'll pull the photos off my phone later to show just how nightmareish the whole thing looked.

I got in touch with them to complain, and the owner was fairly apologetic and offered a free replacement with next-day delivery... Only it didn't show up for over a week. He gave me free delivery on my next order as compensation for that, but that's not much use when I'm probably never going to use them again.

As a UK Gunplar I generally find the best experience is just to order from Hong Kong eBay stores like tokyohobby and j3hobby and wait out the 10 day delivery rather than run the customs gamut from Japan or pay over-inflated UK store prices.

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 4, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cat Machine posted:

As a UK Gunplar I generally find the best experience is just to order from Hong Kong eBay stores like tokyohobby and j3hobby and wait out the 10 day delivery rather than run the customs gamut from Japan or pay over-inflated UK store prices.

I saw Japan-cool recommended on Reddit a few days ago and was going to do the comparisons and possibly try them out, still might but thanks for telling us that. I looked up the eBay stores, tokyohobby seems okay but J3 seems crazy expensive. The 00Q is over £26 there.

Does Tokyohobby get much cheaper with combined shipping? An HG and shipping looks to be about £14, half of that postage, which is actually okay overall but I figure with the postage so high it might get better.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

They're... okay. I've ordered from them a few times with relative success (their cheapest delivery option uses low-rent couriers like Yodel and Hermes rather than Royal Mail which comes with a fair number of issues), but had a truly terrible experience with them the other week that has kinda sworn me off using them again.

Ordered a Build Burning Gundam and it was delivered by an absolute prick of a courier - he left it on the window ledge outside my ground-floor flat on a rainy day. That would be a fairly irritating incident on its own, but was compounded by the fact that Japan Cool had simply wrapped the kit's box in paper - no packaging box or padding/insulation. So once I got it inside, the kit box had basically been reduced to paper-mache and a couple of the runners were completely wrecked. I'll pull the photos off my phone later to show just how nightmareish the whole thing looked.

I got in touch with them to complain, and the owner was fairly apologetic and offered a free replacement with next-day delivery... Only it didn't show up for over a week. He gave me free delivery on my next order as compensation for that, but that's not much use when I'm probably never going to use them again.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with their lovely packaging, and have moved to the Hong Kong eBay route. It's a pain in the arse, but it forces patience.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Tokyohobby get much cheaper with combined shipping? An HG and shipping looks to be about £14, half of that postage, which is actually okay overall but I figure with the postage so high it might get better.
I've never done a multi-kit order from them, so you'd probably have to ask someone else. They handle customs on your behalf, which is likely rolled into that shipping quote and explains why it's so high.

I generally find Tokyo-Hobby's shipping prices quite reasonable - they work out less than ordering from the UK most of the time. For example, Tokyo-Hobby would charge you £14 for a shipped G-Self, whereas Japan:Cool would charge a minimum of £22 with basic delivery. Plus they randomly put an HG Builder Parts box in with one of my shipments so I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Generally speaking from my experience the cheaper kits (HG, SD) tend to be quite heavily marked up in price but the more expensive kits are usually about the same in price.

For some quick price comparisons:

MG Gundam X
Hobby Search: 3,230 Yen or £17.77
Hobby Link Japan: 3,040 Yen or £16.72
Japan Cool: £36.99
Gunpla.co.uk: £29.99

HG Gundam Double X
Hobby Search: 1,775 Yen or £7.95
Hobby Link Japan: 1,360 Yen or £7.48
Japan Cool: £18
Gunpla.co.uk: Not Listed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's some new pictures up for the HGBF Mock, and something about 1/100 scale in there. As far as I can tell, it's an alternate hand for holding 1/100 scale stuff? Also I don't suppose the text below the upper-left picture says "yes, it comes with the target signs" by any chance? :ohdear:.

There's also a similar pic for the Mock Armory Set showing the melee weapon handle can be swapped around so 1/100 kits can hold them, I think.

edit: Uh.. am I reading this right and it's saying the kit's a good 30cm tall?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 4, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's some new pictures up for the HGBF Mock, and something about 1/100 scale in there. As far as I can tell, it's an alternate hand for holding 1/100 scale stuff? Also I don't suppose the text below the upper-left picture says "yes, it comes with the target signs" by any chance? :ohdear:.

There's also a similar pic for the Mock Armory Set showing the melee weapon handle can be swapped around so 1/100 kits can hold them, I think.

I hope they come with the signs, because we need a GM Sniper pulling a William Tell with a sweatdrop-equipped Mock.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Box dimensions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpikeMcclane posted:

Box dimensions.

Ah, I wondered if that was the case. Actually realized that when I saw the bottom picture on the page saying it was 12.5cm tall :doh:.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

Holy poo poo I can get the 2.0 RX and Char's Zaku for like sixty bucks with shipping. Put it in me. Put it. In me.

edit and it always works out the smae by the time I figure in the fact that I have prime and would have to wait on shipping. Curse you, Japan.

e2: Is there a way to get a more specific restock estimate than just "December"?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 4, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eff da models, I'm gonna stock up on option parts. Verniers and stuff I'm not too concerned about - yay Alclad - but maybe I can score some minus molds or other photoetch detail-up parts 'n poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So after I had to divert funds to fixing my car for DMV inspections I wasn't able to place a preorder for the RG Astraea type F like I planned, am I correct in assuming that I missed the boat hard on anything resembling reasonable pricing?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

I'm not sure how to interpret this price because it comes out as either 9 or 900 dollars depending on if the comma is a decimal.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

5800 yen is $51. EMS should be about $20, so that's $71 total.

For comparison, GG Infinite is asking for $72 before shipping and the cheapest thing on ebay is like $90.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

5800 yen is $51. EMS should be about $20, so that's $71 total.

OK that explains it, for some reason google interpreted it as chinese yuan.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TARDISman posted:

TaurusOxford posted:

:shepspends: Guess I should drink a bit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What am I even looking at.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Looks like I'll be finding out. I'm not going to pay eBay scalper prices for it, and the Yen's so far in the shitter that Gentei's price + shipping is a third less than the eBay listings.

Normally, someone like tokyo-hobby on eBay is my best bet in the UK since HLJ's prices are a bit better but the shipping eats the difference. Yen's weak against the pound and the dollar; I poked at HLJ and could get for £80 (inc shipping) what would be £120 on eBay. Then again, I'm buying mostly HGs (drat you, Build Fighters). Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but mostly because I don't have much space to store a backlog.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

What am I even looking at.

The new mold whore of the Metal Build line.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

so at what point does the Gold Frame stop technically being an Astray Gundam from all the replaced parts anyway

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

so at what point does the Gold Frame stop technically being an Astray Gundam from all the replaced parts anyway

When it loses the v-fin. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

man at this point astray has got to be the most successful gundam side story ever.