Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Now I remember the reason why I didn't hear a lot of the incidental dialogue: my innate sense of comedic timing.

:v:"He could just go through the back door."
:gonk:"There's a back door?!"
*bat-boot to the head*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

Actually I lied, I want to talk about one thing right now. "Don't worry, Harley never was very bright." Go gently caress yourself, Rocksteady.

Clearly a woman with a Doctrate in Psychiatry (you know, the one that takes well over 8 years to become educated for, not to mind residency as well) is just a ditzy dum dum!

Her bloody profile on Wikipedia lists one of her defining qualities as being her high intelligence.

So yeah, gently caress off Rocksteady.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Harley's intelligence is pretty much always in flux depending on who happens to be writing her.

Also, she is (or was) a professional psychiatrist who let her own patient trick her into a life of crime and an abusive relationship. That's not very bright.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, you don't exactly have to be a genius to become a doctor, you just have to do a lot of school. Harley has never exactly been portrayed as a brainy character at pretty much any point, although one could speculate that her insanity just supercedes her intelligence. And she's capable of being clever at times, but she's not a criminal genius like Joker or a super genius like Batman.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You also don't have to be an idiot to make terrible life choices or become fascinated with criminals and serial killers, for example. Incredibly intelligent people go out, every day, and do incredibly stupid, self-harmful things. Harley is tragically broken character that is surrounded and overshadowed by other, also tragically broken characters, and therefore the psychotic-airhead persona she puts on for "Mistah J" becomes her only persona.

It's really too bad, because well-written Harley is really good. She's had some pretty great bits in the Injustice comic, for example.

EDIT: VVV Yeah, like that, that right there.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 3, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One thing that they have portrayed fairly consistently is that once she's out of Joker's shadow she's actually competent. But she's got some deep seated psychological issues relating to her relationship with him. Whenever she does actually succeed Joker smacks her back down because only he can beat Batman. So there's probably some self sabotage going on.

In the Injustice universe, after the Joker bombs metropolis she realizes that he's actually a psychopath and will never really love her, so she breaks off from him.

What I'm saying is Injustice Harley makes up for all the terrible things that came out of that plotline.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kurieg posted:

No Man's Land

There was a major earthquake and the Government declared Gotham lost, collapsing the bridges and blockading the island. The various criminals, Batman, and the police that got left behind carve up the island into territory and fight amongst themselves for a year before the government caves to pressure and revokes the No Mans Land decision.

Uh, that was actually what I was referring to when I said the Government declare Gotham no longer part of the US. But that was more the Government throwing there hands up and saying gently caress it rather than deliberately throwing a shitlord of criminals into their own ghetto. No Man's Land was pretty awesome, though. Especially since it gave us the best Batgirl. Who I'm going to assume is the Batgirl of the Arkhamverse, since Babs is Oracle.

RickVoid posted:

I'm the opposite. I hate catwoman's new outfit but I really dig the updated Penguin. I feel it fits the character better than the formal suit with coat-tails. Mark me as another reinstalling thanks to the LP. Apparently I erased my save data, so I get to beat it all over again. Debating between a playthrough as 70's Batman or the Beyond suit.

I'll try the Batman Inc. suit and pretend it takes place in the old DC universe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

All I can say is that I am really, really sad there was no Adam West Batman costume alternative in this game.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Samovar posted:

All I can say is that I am really, really sad there was no Adam West Batman costume alternative in this game.

There is

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TwoPair posted:

To be fair, Harley's intelligence is pretty much always in flux depending on who happens to be writing her.

Also, she is (or was) a professional psychiatrist who let her own patient trick her into a life of crime and an abusive relationship. That's not very bright.

You don't have to be stupid to be stuck in an abusive relationship, and this is much of my complaint about the way Harley is portrayed. When people DO write her as unintelligent, it often seems to be a way of saying "Look at this dumb chick! She stays with Joker even when he hurts her! What an idiot!"

My preferred characterization is that while she is definitely more than a little bit out there, she plays up her ditzyness because Joker likes her better when she isn't being smart. As Kurieg said, Harley is much more competent and dangerous when Joker isn't around, and I agree that it seems like she sabotaging herself so she doesn't show him up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a TAS episode where the punchline basically was that she got closer to offing Batman than Joker ever did - on her own?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Batman Arkham City is too long, to me there comes a time in the plot where you're going "okay, are we ready to end now?"

Which is weird, considering that I've played it through twice.

And watching you play makes me want to do it a third time.

What I'm saying is I think it's a great game and I can't wait to see all the stuff I missed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Wasn't there a TAS episode where the punchline basically was that she got closer to offing Batman than Joker ever did - on her own?

Yeah, she did - and it was one of the most depressing episodes, too. Also, she manages to out-smart Batman in this game, too!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, in "Mad Love" She was about to lower batman into a vat of Piranhas but batman talked her out of it because The Joker wouldn't believe her. Piranhas don't leave behind a recognizable body. So she calls him up to have him come watch and he's furious and he starts beating the poo poo out of her because only he's allowed to kill Batman. And she forgives him because it's obviously her fault for not understanding him better.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
On a different note, given the recent youtube changes, would you consider recording at 60fps?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

grimlock_master posted:

On a different note, given the recent youtube changes, would you consider recording at 60fps?

I've been having some bad luck both recording and viewing anything on YouTube at 60FPS so I think I'm going to have to pass on that one for the moment.

Samovar posted:

Yeah, she did - and it was one of the most depressing episodes, too.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, in "Mad Love" She was about to lower batman into a vat of Piranhas but batman talked her out of it because The Joker wouldn't believe her. Piranhas don't leave behind a recognizable body. So she calls him up to have him come watch and he's furious and he starts beating the poo poo out of her because only he's allowed to kill Batman. And she forgives him because it's obviously her fault for not understanding him better.

The moment in question, more or less: http://youtu.be/-xswOoUKcg8?t=1m7s. Joker? More like Jerker. :( Worth mentioning is that Arleen Sorkin, the VA for Harley in B:TAS and Arkham Asylum does not reprise her role here. Not sure why but it's little trivia! As for why Harley is so often misused, there's a platitude to be made about women in comic books that I won't put here but suffice to say it's not just a Harley problem.

Still, Paul Dini (who wrote this storyline and Arkham Asylum) was one of the folks along with Bruce Timm who introduced Harley to the DC universe so I'd hope she's not too out of it. Dini's contribution was enough that he's got a neat callout in both games, in the opening cinematic for Arkham Asylum there's a neon sign for Paul's Diner that I believe gets bisected by a light post just enough for it to say Paul Dini. In Arkham City one of the buildings sitting around is Dini Towers which seems like it's probably in tribute.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

dscruffy1 posted:

The moment in question, more or less: http://youtu.be/-xswOoUKcg8?t=1m7s. Joker? More like Jerker. :( Worth mentioning is that Arleen Sorkin, the VA for Harley in B:TAS and Arkham Asylum does not reprise her role here. Not sure why but it's little trivia! As for why Harley is so often misused, there's a platitude to be made about women in comic books that I won't put here but suffice to say it's not just a Harley problem.

Still, Paul Dini (who wrote this storyline and Arkham Asylum) was one of the folks along with Bruce Timm who introduced Harley to the DC universe so I'd hope she's not too out of it. Dini's contribution was enough that he's got a neat callout in both games, in the opening cinematic for Arkham Asylum there's a neon sign for Paul's Diner that I believe gets bisected by a light post just enough for it to say Paul Dini. In Arkham City one of the buildings sitting around is Dini Towers which seems like it's probably in tribute.

Wow, I didn't realise Arleen wasn't back as Harley! Props to whoever they got to replace her.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wow, I didn't realise Arleen wasn't back as Harley! Props to whoever they got to replace her.

Tara Strong, the voice of many characters in TV and games, best known for being Bubbles in the Powerpuff Girls, Timmy Turner in Fairly Odd Parents and she's also in MLP too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Judge Tesla posted:

Tara Strong, the voice of many characters in TV and games, best known for being Bubbles in the Powerpuff Girls, Timmy Turner in Fairly Odd Parents and she's also in MLP too.
Yes, you can now imagine Harley Quinn and Bubbles palling around.

I don't know who would break who first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nah, I would say that I was pretty sure it wasn't Arleen, because (if I remember correctly) Quinn in the original series is supposed to have an exaggerated New Jersey accent, while in this game it is... more infantile-esque?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Worth mentioning is that Arleen Sorkin, the VA for Harley in B:TAS and Arkham Asylum does not reprise her role here.
I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think the reason is that it was getting increasingly hard for her to pull off the Harley voice. There are a few scenes in asylum where you can hear her voice crack.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Kurieg posted:

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think the reason is that it was getting increasingly hard for her to pull off the Harley voice. There are a few scenes in asylum where you can hear her voice crack.

Considering Sorkin is 59 years old, I'm not surprised she can't really do it anymore.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta admit, she got me fooled in City, I thought it was still her. Unlike some voiceswaps coughtoriginscough that one was fairly subtle.
Anyway, I don't really like Harley in the games compared to the TAS (which I - coincidentally - downloaded and watched as a result of the previous LP) where she was one of the most enjoyable characters. I think she got hit by the transition towards grimdark style and more mature audience the most - in the show she's actinbg whimsical and carefree which works as a perfect contrast to her actual situation (making the fact she's the only one who doesn't realize it that muc sadder), but here she's delegated to being a Joker#2. With boobs. And being annoying instead of funny.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Harley's a terrible character, efforts to rehabilitate and basically fully rewrite her in injustice notwithstanding. It's worth recognizing that for all the other significant strengths of BtAS, Dini and Timm designed her (and most other significant female characters on the show) as pin-up models first and characters a long second. This is basically their approach to female characters, a product of the social mores of their period of primacy in comics.

Quinn was designed from the ground up to be a sex object, useful idiot and punching bag to counterbalance Joker- while the efforts to read or write something better into her character are commendable, I'd frankly she prefer that she disappear and the industry and fandom focus on other, better female characters who were more exempted from this design approach, like Renee Montoya (ma'am not appearing in this game).

The depiction of gender is the massive, massive weakspot of the arkham series.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 4, 2014

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I like Harley. Her first comic series was pretty good, depicting her as a very competent, if ditzy crime boss, expanding her psychology studies background, and having fun adventures with her pal Poison Ivy.

All other Batman villains are about revenge or tragedy. Harley's only reason to be a villain is because of her love for the Joker, and her adventures were mad, villanous capers that were all kinds of fun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Harley's a terrible character, efforts to rehabilitate and basically fully rewrite her in injustice notwithstanding. It's worth recognizing that for all the other significant strengths of BtAS, Dini and Timm designed her (and most other significant female characters on the show) as pin-up models first and characters a long second. This is basically their approach to female characters, a product of the social mores of their period of primacy in comics.

Quinn was designed from the ground up to be a sex object, useful idiot and punching bag to counterbalance Joker- while the efforts to read or write something better into her character are commendable, I'd frankly she prefer that she disappear and the industry and fandom focus on other, better female characters who were more exempted from this design approach, like Renee Montoya (ma'am not appearing in this game).

I won't deny that Timm and Dini's approach to female characters and their designs are, on the whole, overtly sexualised and I don't think that is good; however, I would argue that Batman's villians are usually designed to be archetypes of particular mental disorders in general, and with that in mind, Quinn in herself isn't a 'terrible' character becasue Two Face, or the Riddler, or the Ventriloquist are not 'terrible' characters.

(Not that writing people as archetypes of mental illnesses isn't good in the first place).

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 4, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Detective Montoya.

EDIT: I am a moron, Montoya was mentioned in the post before I edited it out of what I was quoting. Move along.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 4, 2014

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Harley Quinn is a good, fun character and nowhere near where I would start with feminist concerns for the Batman universe.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Ivy's man-eater sexuality, Barbara being fridged, and cat woman in general are all better starting points.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RickVoid posted:

Detective Montoya.

How do you do this? How do you read the post, hit quote, and respond, while actively deleting the part of my post where I say the exact thing you're responding with? :psyduck:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

How do you do this? How do you read the post, hit quote, and respond, while actively deleting the part of my post where I say the exact thing you're responding with? :psyduck:

How the gently caress did I not notice that you had her in there in the first place!?

Yeah. I'll go fix that poo poo. Carry on.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sidetracking Down the Joker/Polsy - Interview tape: Two-Face 1, character bios updated: Bane

Combat Challenge: Blind Justice/Polsy with Animated Series Batman skin

I'm fairly sure the first video finished processing. If not I'll reupload it when I get back from work.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 5, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kurieg posted:

This is also why Hamill is done voicing Joker.

Discendo Vox posted:

Out and out removing a female character is not an improvement to the way the industry currently treats female characters, and discarding a character that is not only popular in general but popular with female fans specifically would not do DC any favors. A character originally designed to be useless background decoration does not have to stay a weak character. Blame the writers, not the character, for failing to help her rise above being Joker's punching bag - especially when many writers HAVE written her better. Her having been a victim of abuse does not mean that she must be a victim in perpetuity. I find Harley an interesting character even in a purely mechanical sense as she's one of very few villainesses whose main threat is a physical one. Most villainesses are designed around seduction (Ivy) or stealth (Selina) or having minions and plans (Talia al Ghul) or superpowers (Livewire). Harley has a hammer and she will knock your block off with it.

edit - basically my point is that we shouldn't act as though we can only have one good female character at a time and we should ignore characters that don't stand the best chance of being written correctly

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 5, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Harley and I like she's like a crazy pin-up girl with a clown fetish and a penchant for homicide.

I think her outfits in the Arkham series are kind of dumb though.

Poison Ivy is cool too, kind of prefer the leaf leotard to...uh...well I won't spoil what Ivy's costume in this game is.

EDIT: All comic book characters are drawn sexy, they are basically all nude models with painted on clothes, male or female, except for Zatanna, who is the best.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot how much fun combat is to watch in this game. Just the right balance between efficient and flashy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Discendo Vox posted:

If they have Cassandra Cain as Batgirl/Blackbat in the sequel, then all would be forgiven. I mean c'mon, they're bringing in Jason Todd and they'e established Babs was Batgirl, so why not have her show up?

Edit: Also I beliee the Bat Swarm combo is based off Batman using that trick back in Batman: Year One, which was pretty much the canon origin for Batman in the comics until the reboot. :iia:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 5, 2014

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Now that they've been mentioned in the video, the quickfire gadgets and disarm and destroy technique can be annoying. While playing new game+, some enemies, who we'll not see for some time, gave me a harder time than others. These enemies also seem to have less "priority" when it comes to the disarm and destroy. The same applies to the quickfire batarang. In one combat challenge I tried throwing the batarang at an enemy about to throw a canister but kept hitting the baddie right next to him.

These are minor annoyances, but they sure do disrupt the flow of combat when you run into them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Will you also be intermittently checking up on various radio channels through the game? The GCPD dispatch, Gotham News, et. al? Do they even have different radio transmissions for progressing for the game, or is it all looped?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This is without a doubt my favorite Arkham game and honestly one of my favorite games of all time. I have a 100% save file and 0 regrets (I have to say the regret thing because I have 100% on Origins too). Glad to see it LP'd.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

Would Catwoman really not be as effective if she zipped up her top? But I guess it's important that we know she has boobs because she's a female character. :shrug:

Don't mean to start poo poo, but that's a real bummer from an otherwise great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: Also I beliee the Bat Swarm combo is based off Batman using that trick back in Batman: Year One, which was pretty much the canon origin for Batman in the comics until the reboot. :iia:

He also pulled it in the Justice League cartoon at least once (best clip I could find)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYRHgmXGSGI&t=93s

• Locked thread