Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I was about to say something about Gundam X Maoh and Crossbone Maoh probably not counting but I was saved by remembering to preview.

I'd like to vote in Komachi, which should take the remaining cost to 6.0.

Edit: I mean 3.5. Previewing can't save me from everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Komachi's a 2.5, the count's at 5.5.

EDIT: v I swear to god, if you guys make me go through this chapter without Keine... :argh:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 4, 2014

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Star to reach 4.0.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't read the update yet but i'll throw you a bone. Let's bring Keine.

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't read the update yet but i'll throw you a bone. Let's bring Keine.

Which leaves 1.5 for Rumia

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Three Fairies are the best and must be used in every map.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KnoxZone posted:

The Three Fairies are the best and must be used in every map.

This is true.

Might as well start giving them all the WP Blitzblast.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

BlitzBlast posted:

The missing fairies are unceremoniously dumped into my lap, and they all kind of suck. You can get some mileage out of the Three Fairies with their combination attack and their default PS (accuracy/evasion buffs to surrounding units), but that's overkill for this chapter.

Please don't disrespect the three fairies, they are the 2nd best units in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
And this is the precise moment of the game where it starts throwing characters at you. Three more fairies! It's not so bad for now, but they just keep piling up over time, unlike E which maintained a pretty focused cast. I mean, it's not even a problem in terms of deploying your favorites every map, but it makes the dialog a slog sometimes because every single person has to chime in on every conversation. Well, that's just my opinion as someone who skipped over most it; maybe it was all hilarious.

Anyway, a filler chapter for a filler boss. We were just obligated to fight Hina at some point, for necessarily contrived reason since she's a generally nice person. Fun fact: she's technically more like a youkai than a god since she feeds off of misfortune instead of faith. Which makes Reimu's exchange with her during the spellcard declaration conversation sort of interesting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

FMW1 kept the cast low to make a And Then There Were None joke in the final chapter. You end the game with ten characters, just like the rhyme.

FMW is actually pretty good about having a huge cast of characters. They don't really flood the conversation with repetitive reactions a la Golden Sun, it usually just goes Main Dialogue Relevant Characters Participate In > Random Tangent The Other Characters Focus On > Relevant Characters Rerail Conversation. The ridiculous amount of boss conversations helps characterize everyone too, which is a huge step up from actual SRW games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just find it funny that you end up with the entire population of Gensokyo following you around everywhere. But the "random tangents" that you mentioned just started to annoy me after a while, possibly because translating is more tiring than reading, even if it's just in my head. You always have that core group of people (fairies) who have no idea what's going on and are just following you because, so the game giving them stuff to say just makes things take longer. Then again, irreverent conversations are very Touhou, and they do do a good job of continuously characterizing everyone even when you have 56 characters to deploy by the final chapter of FMW I, not even counting the people who join in the middle of battle a la Sakuya in E.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Then again, irreverent conversations are very Touhou,

It's the difference between a couple snappy lines across seven stages in a shmup and then bloating that text into a full-blown SRPG. At this point I just skip most of the dialogue just feels like it's there to pad the word count, hell in FMW E I am pretty sure every single line of Touhou 6 shows up.

I imagine someone who didn't play the shmups wouldn't feel like it's just a really elongated retelling though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't play the Touhou games and in fact know practically nothing about Touhou, so I've been quite enjoying reading the conversations, if occasionally baffled.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lots of people jumping into the conversation is pretty much the norm for SRWs, which even now have a far larger cast then this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, personally I really enjoy the spellcard declaration dialog, where they kinda sorta explain why it's called what it's called, but there's only so much "fairies dicking around" that I can take before I burn out on it. In general though, I have a soft spot for retelling the Touhou stories as actual stories so I like the fact that they tried. Even if I mostly just skip to the villain dialog.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, it doesn't feel too different from the dialogue in SRW games, at least from the LP's i've read. But I still can't pay attention through all of the meaningless side-character conversations, in both games. There's a lot of it and I can get the gist of the conversation even if I skip every third line or so.

On another note, this update has reminded me that I should try and track down the ost's that came with the three fairies stories. I really like all of their themes in this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How hard is it to not kill the boss first? I suppose weathering her attacks is kind of a pain but it seems like that's not something you can accidentally do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"Beat the boss last" is basically free WP, yeah. You'll usually only run into problems if the boss has a particularly crazy danmaku field and you forgot an enemy on the other side of the screen or something.

*cough* Mystia in FMW3 *cough*

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Along with "capture all spellcards" it's one of the bonuses they put in when they don't have better ideas.

"Don't use bombs" is when they have some fun danmaku effect they want you to suffer through.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I missed voting and I am very disappointed we didn't go with an All Fairy Party.

Surely we could have afforded all of them as well as Keine.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

And it looks like I've caught up! I was mostly interested in the alterations to the SRW gameplay, because I know very little about Touhou. But these two games (and probably the third as well) are crafted with so much passion and look so fun that I'm enjoying the story and character bits anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So that's ~450 lines? Yep that sure is ~450 lines.

Here's a sneak peak of how the Lunatic run ended up:

(this is the casualties list)

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

So that's ~450 lines? Yep that sure is ~450 lines.

Here's a sneak peak of how the Lunatic run ended up:

(this is the casualties list)

15500 point heal list, that's a lot.

And did you really get Meiling shot down? As expected of Lunatic, bringing down the wallest of walls.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Grashbar posted:

15500 point heal list, that's a lot.

And did you really get Meiling shot down? As expected of Lunatic, bringing down the wallest of walls.

Meiling is actually unupgraded here since this is Reimu's route and characters with no upgrades don't last very long on lunatic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Looks like most of Marisa's team died.

That said, the total death count doesn't seem so bad, or maybe I'm just a terrible player with low standards. I'm pretty sure I've lost more people than that to a single map spellcard and just played through it.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
In the final stage of 2 and 3 I lost everyone except for 1 or 2 units and still managed to finish. I imagine some people will reset if they lose anyone in a swr-esque game though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bam, only one month this time. Since there's almost zero interest in them, I've decided to give up on transcribing the original japanese dialogue. This has the upside of making my translations a lot faster, and the downside of... um. Man, now I'm kind of wondering why I bothered making those rough drafts in the first place.

Also Sanbondo released the final patch of FMW3, so go get v1.1.2.

------

quote:

Hakurei Shrine
Music: Secret Mission!

Full Text

quote:

We're still here.

quote:

Youkai Mountain
Music: Bizarre Smile

Full Text

quote:

So we've found Marisa's group, but Reimu is conspicuously absent. Our orders are to stop the former and to find the latter.

Here's hoping this turns out well.

quote:

Youkai Mountain
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

I am still moping around.

quote:

The Visible Path

The camera scrolls to the bottom of the waterfall.

Keine posted:

...So this is the Waterfall of Nine Heavens.

It's so big... I didn't know water could move that fast.

Woah there, don't get caught in the flow.

Stop babbling nonsense and get going.

The group starts inching up.

...*yawn* I don't see a thing.

I know, right? I want to go home and get back to writing my article.

This is cool~. We're this close, but they don't notice us.

Mwahahahaha, praise me more!

You can only talk like this thanks to me though...

Momiji posted:

Greetings, crow tengu.
You don't look very spirited. Were you really on lookout?

What's that supposed to mean?!

This is supposed to be your job, anyways. Can we go home now?

No, not until you've completed your duty. That was the order of the great tengu.

That tengu with the big sword is the one we fought during the incident last summer.

She seems skilled. Let's stay calm and keep on moving.

They do.

Now then, could you tell me what you've seen in this are- huh?

What's with that puzzled face?

...Inubashiri, is something wrong?

Yes, I smell humans. Could it be the intruders?

Shoot, she literally sniffed us out!

Oh come on, why didn't you erase our smell too?!

What do you think we are, deodorant?!

Cut it out! Let's just hurry to the other side.

Throwing caution to the wind, the group starts to sprint.

How careless. You may as well be standing in plain sight!

Momiji takes a shot,

Reimu posted:

Guh!
and hits the group dead on, dropping Sunny's field.

Usually this chapter's cost limit will let you bring in everyone but one person. Cirno, in this case.

Aaaah, she broke the effect!

Where did they- they just popped out of thin air!

I thought I'd find you'd sneaking around, Hakurei shrine maiden. I don't know what trick you used, but there's no escape from these eyes of mine!

Oh no...

This is bad, we've been caught in the middle of the enemy!

I can see that. No choice then, let's do this!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Momiji.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Alright, here we go. We're at what was well-known as a ridiculous difficulty spike in the source game.

Priority one...

is to get a secret conversation!

Hm? There's a cave hidden in the waterfall.

!

That's the Super Shogi Dojo. Approach it at your own risk!

...What?

Allow me to explain. As the name implies, Super Shogi is played on a larger board than the regular ki-

Keine, this isn't a good time for this...

Ah, you're right. I forgot the situation for a moment there. Storm the Shogi Dojo!

Sadly you do not actually steal Momiji's shogi board.

There are only two bombs on this map, and this kappa hiding at the bottom holds one. I usually have Reimu deal with both of these kappa while everyone else forms up.

Speaking of everyone else, since this is Marisa's route everybody but Reimu, Keine and technically Komachi are unupgraded. This isn't a problem on Normal, but... well, once again, there's a reason I chose to do Lunatic on Reimu's route.

Music: Trickster Girl

The three fairies make decent bait. Keine only has one Support Defend, so anything that alleviates enemy pressure is welcome.

At this point I remembered that I have Radar and Silence, so I rearranged the formation to account for them.

Reimu finishes off the kappa on enemy phase 2. You have no idea how surprised I was when she actually dodged four 35%'s in a row.

This kappa drops another Five-colored Shell, which is good because the game's not done with water yet!

Momiji and the rest of the tengu will start moving after turn 1. The main goal now is to clean up as many crows as possible so that when the two sides smash into each other there's less enemy attacks per turn.

Keine's Support Attack is a big help here, since even the fairies can get a kill with her help.

Meanwhile, Reimu starts taking the scenic route back.

Another scene plays on the third enemy phase.

There are so many tengu... can we really win...?

Nope, we're doomed~.

Hold it, if you give up it's over!

That's it! Reimu, see if you can use that device to contact Marisa's group. They should be nearby!

That transeever thing? Let me see... Marisa, can you hear me?

*static*

Hey, can you hear me?!

*static*

...No good, all I hear is a strange sound.

Tch, this is what we get for relying on something we know nothing about.

Keep trying, maybe they didn't notice you contacting them!

Music: Reinforcements - Theme of the Detestable Youkai

Aya posted:

Ayaya, looks like they're going all out.
Thanks for the translation, Hokuto.

No way, more enemies from behind!

We're totally surrounded...

Aya, you're late!

Sorry, sorry. But good job finding the hidden shrine maiden.

We saw her last time too. What was her newspaper called again...

Bunbunmaru Newspaper. That's the name of the paper you all will be on the front page of tomorrow.

Bunbunmaru literally means "Sentence Sentence Period" so nobody has ever bothered trying to translate it.

If I'm going to be a headline, I'd like to have my pictures and real name censored.

Well that depends on your endurance. If you give me a good time, I'll write a nicer article for you.

She's making fun of us.

Well then, time to do my duty and beat up some humans.

Indeed. You'll be my next offering, Hakurei shrine maiden!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Aya and Momiji.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Bonus: Defeat Momiji first.

It's harder to not get the bonus.

Since she was unfocused, Mokou grabs most of the crows' attention. Of course Keine had to bail her out once.

One of them noticed that Dai was open though.

If it weren't for the fact that Mokou has an extra life, watching her fight all four lesser tengu might have been nerve-wracking. As is, she took an unlucky hit from a crow tengu and came out the better for it thanks to Instinct Dodge.

Thankfully, Momiji goes for Luna.

Aya seemed nice, but this tengu is a little scary...

She's only like that during interviews. It'd probably be for the best if you never saw what was she's normally like.

Music: Observe, White Wolf!

Thanks to Defend and Guard, Luna took 25% damage. Running the math, it looks like Momiji was totally going to one-shot Luna otherwise.

It's at this point I remember I forgot to have Reimu cast Focus. Sure all these crows have sub 10% rates, but that's never stopped them before. And it makes fighting Aya a lot less risky; even Reimu can only get a 51% without any accuracy buffs.

Either way, she's got the south side covered.

You're as ridiculously fast as ever. Honestly, I can't even aim at you.

...But if I trust my instincts and fire wildly, I'll probably hit you!

...Attacking me instinctually? You're certainly going all out. Very well then, show me the power of the current Hakurei shrine maiden!

:sigh:

Wh-what do we do?! At this rate, we're done for!

...In the worst case scenario, we'll be annihilated. Keine, if that happens, run away by yourself.

Don't be ridiculous, I'd never do that! Reimu, have you gotten in contact with Marisa's group yet?

Whenever I try, I hear the same weird sound.

...You don't think Marisa's group ran away, do you?

Eh, what do you mean...?

It's Marisa, so maybe she got bored on the way here.

No way, that sounds like her but...

...Well, whatever. If we both went back, it wouldn't be that weird.

Wha- Reimu, are you saying what I think you're saying!?

Probably. Honestly, I don't really know why I even came here in the first place...

Mwaha, it's a nice feeling driving the shrine maiden to her limit. I wonder what the articles will be like?

"The Reporter Drove Back The Intruders By Herself!" I bet it'll be a huge hit. The papers will be flying off the presses, so show me your best moves!

...Tch! Look out behind you!

Eh!?

:siren: Music: Fantasy Maidens Appear! :siren:

This track only plays twice in the game, and only once on Reimu's route. A shame.

I have enough cost to deploy all of Marisa's group. Though lord knows I'd trade Kurumi for Cirno any day of the week.

We made it to the waterfall!

Finally. I swear, if we took one more break I was gonn-

Wait, is that-

Marisa?!

Reimu? Why are you here?

Well all sorts of things happened... but more importantly, it's good that you're here!

Marisa Kirisame?! What happened to the people we sent to intercept you?

We beat them up and dumped them in the river. Well, it was mostly Alice and her dolls.

If you thought that was enough to stop us, you clearly underestimated us.

...Well this throws a wrench in the plan. Neither force nor intellect came through alone, so we'll just have to play it smart and crush you between us!

This might be a Gundam SEED reference of sorts? Don't remember Kira's exact quote.

Hm. I wasn't expecting to meet up like this, but it looks like you're in quite the pinch.

Pretty much. Good thing a lifeboat came just in time.

It's not what we planned, but I suppose it's the best course of action.

Everyone seems to be doing well. I'm a little tired though...

A maid should be capable of tests of endurance. Is this your first time, Lady Elly?

Alright, begin the counterattack!

The strategy is fairly clear from here. While Reimu stalls Aya, my newly reunited army will clean up the main enemy force.

Incidentally, if Reimu had some WP in her I could actually switch the positions and have her solo the top half. :allears:

Momiji has two levels of Support Defend, which makes it hard to kill things next to her. Thankfully a Support Defend won't stop a Support Attack.

It'll take another turn for Meiling to get in range to help Keine redirect damage, but at least Marisa and Alice are in position to snipe her to kingdom come.

The enemy is so heavily outnumbered now that even with Momiji supporting like crazy they won't last long.

Her field increases the activation rate of Shield Defense though, which will make the Wolf tengu a little sturdier.

You've got good eyes and a strong nose. They must be why you've been given guard duty.

Correct. Are you intimidated?

Nah, nothing like that. I just get people thanks to my job. As for me, I guess you could say I've got an "eye" that's making sure I don't miss work.

All things considered Momiji doesn't hit that hard, so as long as you're not a fairy it's okay to tank a hit or two.

...By the way, I would like to ask you a question.

Hm? What're you being so formal for?

Why are you giving your all to protect the shrine? During an incident is one thing, but why are you helping me now?

Huh? I wouldn't really say I'm giving it my all but... well, why wouldn't I help a friend?

I don't remember making friends with you.

No hesitation at all!?

You idiot, what other shrine's as comfy as yours? Everyone likes your shrine, so of course we'd lend you a hand.

...I see. If that's the case, I think I understand now.

You do?

Yeah, I understand that I don't understand you people at all.

I've been thinking really hard about the shrine and faith but... sheesh, it's such a pain!

She's back to normal...

That's right, back to normal. I'll just do whatever I want!

Reimu's character development: gently caress it, this character development thing is too hard.

Oooh~, Reimu's herself again.

Somehow, seeing her like that puts me at ease.

Now that your spirit's back, what do you plan to do?

Isn't it obvious? I'm going to hurry to Moriya shrine and finish things.

If you can't handle it, tough! I've got a grudge to settle!

That's the spirit. But you're the one who better not slow me down!

The rest of the lesser tengus should die this turn.

Rumia even picked up Fury just in time to ignore Momiji.

Komachi wasn't doing much else so I had her and Reimu smack down the last kappa.

Sunny and Star force Momiji to burn her Support Defends, and then Marisa and Alice spammed Proto Malice.

Presto. Momiji is now completely helpless. Aya is similarly stuck, as she and her helpers can't even touch Reimu.

Momiji Inubashiri! I should have known you'd stand in our way!

Indeed, I planned on confronting your group ever since I last saw you.

My first target is you. Let's see you match wits with my blade!

Momiji relies on her shield to tank. As long as the skill doesn't trigger, I can slice through her like butter.

Mokou is just 1 MP off from using her finisher, so I decide to take a risk and blow the rest of Sakuya's SP on Devote.

At first glance you seem defenseless... but that attitude. I don't think I should take you lightly.

Good intuition. This is how I fight. If you're careless, you'll get burned.

Okay...

drat it, Momiji got a critical. Keine can't trigger Support Attack if the first attacker dies.

...Good going, Komachi? Keine picks up the slack this time at least.

...I see. So this won't be enough.

How can she be this confident even after being beaten?

Looks like she's got one heck of a grudge against us.

That's right, Marisa Kirisame. Because I lost to you last summer. I had to accept Aya's help...

I was too weak! That's why, in order to clear away my shame, I have returned with a brand new fang!

Be careful, she's going to use a spellcard!

Roar, Rock-Crushing Fang! Become the fang that carries my fighting spirit!

There's a pun here; the word Momiji uses for "carry" specifically refers to carrying a virus.

quote:

Dog Sign "Rabies Bite"

The animation for Rabies Bite are some vertical bars intersecting like a jaw. Its effect lets Momiji ignore all defensive abilities; barriers, support defend, you name it.

Look who's come out to play!

I've been waiting for this moment, Marisa Kirisame! Before you tricked Nitori, and now you've invaded the mountain... your recklessness is beyond help.

Meh, if we're complaining now I'd like to speak with your god. Aren't they the cause of all of this? Newcomers should follow the rules. You mountain youkai should know a thing or two about that.

...An outsider like you has no basis to insult us! I've sharpened my fangs in wait for this day... my body will savor this taste!

Unfortunately for her, it's a 1-2 range attack. And I have a bunch of long range finishers.

One thing led to another, and now you stand before us as Sanae Kochiya's underling.

...What are you trying to say?

When we met at the Misty Lake, I wouldn't have expected you two to collaborate so easily. Somehow, I doubt your relationship is very comfortable.

...I follow my orders. I would never take a stand against the mountain.

Now cease your excessive interference and quietly leave!

Hmm. I thought my light bending had no weaknesses, but then you found me by my smell... Ah, I know. If I carry something that smells good, won't that cancel it out!?

...So are you saying you smell bad?

A bunch.

You're light on your feet... so you're more than just a sturdy gate.

I have to do my best in order to protect my allies. Fighting spirit alone won't provide cover.

...So you're prepared at all times to work with someone else. I can understand that way of thinking.

I was hoping Meiling and Sakuya could finish the job, but alas.

I guess I'll just have Rumia do it.

You all look the same when you come out in groups like this.

We are all the same species, but somehow hearing that annoys me. What about you? Aren't any of your friends the same speci-

What do you mean? I'm aaaall by myself~.

:toot:

Guh, why!? How could I have lost again...!?

Do you see now? A beast's fangs will never break through my gate!

...Heh. You were showing off until now, but you were struggling the entire time, weren't you? Momiji, fall back and leave them to me.

What!? I can still fight!

Don't be ridiculous, you've done more than enough. Let me clean up your leftovers.

...Understood. If you're that confident, I'll leave them to you.

Momiji retreats.

We, we beat her...

The fight's gone out of her... well in any case, looks like we're out of that pinch we were in.

It's all thanks to Marisa's group. Let's keep this up, we've already turned the tables!

Momiji drops an Oni's Fang, which may or may not be your first one if you didn't beat Flandre in the japanese version.

With the midboss out of the way, Reimu starts leading Aya north.

And then I left my game running for three hours while I went to a club meeting. I was seriously expecting the game to crash, but nope!

Here is the rule of thumb for VS Aya:

if you don't have Strike, or the SP to use Strike, you're useless.

Ayaya, a shinigami... don't tell me a tengu will die soon?

No, no, I'm off work. I'm just an escort right now.

How confusing. Everything you do is ominous, so could you please leave?

Music: Black-Winged Wind God

...probably useless.

At this point the only characters with Strike left are Komachi, Meiling and Reimu, so everyone else has to stack as many accuracy buffs as they possibly can and cross their fingers. Luna should be at the center of the formation.

I guess I can't look down on a fairy's range of activity if you made it to a place like this.

U-uh, thank you very much. Are you going to get angry now?

Well, if you were doing this by yourselves I'd probably look the other way... but if you're here as intruders, that's a different story. I'll blow you off the mountain, so just quietly go home.

Having Focus also really helps.

It looks like you use fire. Guess that makes me a bad matchup for you.

Oh?

Yup, I have the ability to manipulate wind. Extinguishing fire is child's play. My squalls will tear off your wings of fire!

As Mokou demonstrates.

Hmm, is that all you've got?

Tch, she just won't stay still...

Oh for crying out loud. All we wanted to do was head to the mountain's shrine, but people just keep getting in our way.

Speaking of that, is it true that you people and the mountain shrine don't really get along?

You could say that. They tried to take over the mountain, they keep giving us all sorts of orders... well, needless to say the tengu aren't exactly happy with them.

...So there's an even larger gap between the mountain and the shrine than we thought.

Well of course, things get awkward when newcomers don't respect seniority.

Then let us through. I told you before, we don't have any business with the tengu.

I'd like to, but no can do. The tengu patrol won't stand for it if I let you through that easily.

You tengu are a huge pain.

Belonging to a group means that sometimes, you don't get to have your way.

Now, I'll go easy on you, so come at me with all your might!

I love it when I can just copy the MoF translation. Usually Sanbondo takes some steps to slightly edit the dialogue.

quote:

Wind God "Tengu's Fall Wind"

Tengu's Fall Wind isn't that much of a threat, it just drops your evasion rates by 20%.

Much more important is the fact that it's not her only spell. Aya is the first boss in this game to have more than one spellcard, which can be a bad surprise if you were in the habit of chaining finishers as soon as you hit the spell.

Marisa and Alice's friendship + Silence + Magic Thruster + focused accuracy buff + Master Spark's innate +35% to accuracy = a 99% hit rate. For reference, that means Marisa has a base hit rate of 19%.

You seem pretty confident in your speed. How about we have a match?

Oho, between a human and a crow tengu? Don't tell me you think you can match me.

Won't know till I try. I'll crush that long nose of yours!

Marisa nailed the spark, but Alice fudged the follow up.

Tch, such speed... there's no way I can surround you.

Were you trying to stop my movement with those dolls of yours?

It's a contest to see who will be caught in whose pace. Here we go, Shanghai!

But second time's the charm.

And Komachi and Meiling finish her off.

Hey, you're better than I thought.

She's flown around so much, but she's not even tired...

Well then the plan's obvious. We catch her, we win.

Oh my, you girls think you can keep up with me?

Speed alone won't win a danmaku match.

...Your arrogance is amusing. I suppose I should have expected this from the people trying to pick a fight with a god.

It's been a long time since I've shown my full speed. Everything in Gensokyo bows to the march of the tengu!

quote:

Illusionary Dominance

Illusionary Dominance pumps Aya's mobility by 40 and her move by 2. Now nobody can hit her without Strike,

assuming you don't just bomb through it.

Hey, hey, hey, hey! Didn't you see the sign? "No matter what time you come, entry to the mountain is prohibited!"

I didn't see any funny sign like that. Besides, my goal is the mountain, so I can't head back just yet.

Is that so? Well, this is the mountain.

I mean the mountain's... top?

...Oh whatever. Whatever your reason is, let me teach you why you can't pass!

This whole conversation's a reference to Sakuya's Scarlet Weather Rhapsody route. Though not gonna lie, at first I thought it was a reference to Saku Saku Tei's "Visiting Maid and Everyone" so I copied its translation. :shobon:

Sakuya was the only person in this battle with a hit rate higher than 50%, yet all three attacks landed.

Aren't you the gatekeeper of that scarlet mansion?

Oh, so you know about the Scarlet Devil Mansion?

I've been planning on covering it. Could I schedule an appointment?

Sorry, but that's not really up to me... though the mistress would probably be fine with it.

Meiling sets the stage,

and Reimu seals the deal.

Guh, so this is my limit...

Alright! It's been a while since I've had such a nice youkai extermination.

I knew I'd have to take you seriously, but you were even stronger than I expected. At this rate, maybe you could match that pain of a god.

Then will you let us through? Even the kappa dislike the shrine, so I don't see the need for you to protect them.

...Kappa? What did the kappa say about that shrine?

They don't know much about it, so they're suspicious of it. Nobody is allowed on the grounds, so there's no way to learn about it either.

(Hmm. So even the lesser youkai feel that way...)

(...)

Anyway, we beat you, so how about you show us the way to that god?

Alright.

Huh!?

I-is that okay?! I thought you were trying to send us back earlier.

I can't tell you much about it, but I can tell you how to get there. Head around that mountain trail, and keep on going. You'll hit Moriya shrine.

...What a joke. She's probably trying to trick us.

Well it was just a whim, but you can think whatever you want. Now, do your best~.

Aya zooms away.

I think it every time we meet, but she's a shrewd one.

Yeah. What's she planning, telling us how to get to Moriya shrine?

We can worry about that later. We have to leave before any more enemies come.

Since I had Dai cast Cheer, this was enough to get Reimu two levels and the Fury spirit. Aya also drops a Tengu Feather, which boosts Move by 2. Really handy on Meiling or Keine!

------

Elly, I want to be a magical girl!

Eh? Have you been reading weird books again?

Yup! Magical Girl Kurumi is an elementary school student who hails from a magical country.

Huh. But if you want to be a magical girl, you'll need two things. The first is a magical transformation staff. The second is a mascot.

Ummm, for the staff I can use this dustpan I found over there... is this an okay mascot?

...You're ninety years old!!

I guess it'll work.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Youkai Mountain
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Now what?

Stage 5.

quote:

Youkai Mountain
Music: Bizarre Smile

Full Text

quote:

Just as planned.

------

Now that the band is back together, I take the chance to catch everyone up.

The three fairies can be safely ignored because they'll suck regardless of how much I upgrade them.

Characters on the other route split will join with some extra PP, but not much.

Komachi picks up Ignore Distance at last. Support Attack too, because everybody can use Support Attack.

As for the three fairies, well this is probably a massive spoiler if you know anything at all about SRW but let's just say Sunny is the only one who should bother getting decent skills. Luna and Star just want to pump their SP.

And then everybody shuffled around their equipment so the good characters have the best stuff. In hindsight I probably should have waited until I actually knew which characters I'll bring into 22.

------

Momiji Inubashiri
All Attacks

Aya Shameimaru
All Attacks

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay here we go. You'll notice right away that on Lunatic, chapter 21 has more enemies.

Combine that with the crows spamming danmaku and you get a much harder initial wave. I can't muscle through with judicious use of SP either; I'll need as many Strikes as I can for Aya.

Music: Price of Life

So instead I'll just have everyone focus, then hunker down and abuse Support Attack. Having Sunny instead of Luna would make things a little smoother, but every little bit of accuracy counts here.

Reimu lost a coin flip, so I had her get the hell out of dodge as soon as she snagged the kappa bomb. Dai should be able to heal her before Aya shows up.

This god drat crow dodged four 50%s in a row. :argh:

THAT WAS A 5%

Yeah so no way am I doing this without Reimu. Restart time.

Aya joins with some extra crow tengu this time.

With all of her defense buffs active, Keine is practically immortal. Momiji will be the only enemy who can do more than 400 damage to her.

Also I made a mistake here and had Reimu waste a Fantasy Seal on a crow. Her MP pool is large enough that this won't be an issue, but it's still really dumb.

The reinforcements are much less spectacular this time. At least Meiling and Elly have Strike for Aya.

Speaking of Aya, Reimu will be blowing all of her SP on Focus to take down the southern front. Theoretically her evade rates are good enough as is, but I think you all know what would happen if I tried to risk it.

Here's the state of the field after a meatgrinder of a turn. While the crow tengu didn't take the bait and attacked my main army, everyone else in Aya's force is dead. Now Reimu just has to delay Aya while everyone else cleans up Momiji.

Ummm, it's hard to tell who's who...

...What a rude devil. Amongst all of the tengu, only I have been entrusted with this massive sword and shield. If you can't understand that, let me carve the difference into your body!

Shield Defense is a bitch.

Elly posted:

Sorry, everyone. I'll be heading back first.

Also I forgot to have Elly focus so she just got murdered when she tried to take down a wolf tengu. :downs:

The other scythe-wielder isn't doing too hot either; Komachi's out of MP from all of the Support Attacking she's been doing.

Aya ignored Reimu too. :sigh:

Is it really okay for the teacher of the temple elementary school to be leading an invasion?

Oh, you know about me?

Yes, you teach history in the human village. I was actually planning on going there to gather data. Though, writing about just your job wouldn't be very interesting. If I knew more about you I think I could write a better article.

I'd like to talk more, but I don't think the situation allows for it...

Well better Keine than Dai.

Aya's initial field buffs enemy evade rates, which is why I wanted to keep her away from the rest of the enemies so much. Luna uses up my spare bomb to get rid of the problem.

Miraculously, Momiji didn't trigger Shield Defense.

Momiji has both Vigor and Guard, so it's really important to kill her in one turn. The AI is set to use "defensive" spirits at critical health, even though it would make more sense to start off with Guard. Not that I'm complaining.

Music: The Dashing, Falling Fall

Sheesh, this is annoying!

Eventually I get to her spell, and she immediately uses it to kill Kurumi. Oh no. :geno:

White wolf tengu are said to have keen eyes and strong noses. You'd make a nice gatekeeper.

Don't be ridiculous. I am a proud tengu, not some dog for you lot to domesticate.

How unfortunate. Still, you seem to have misunderstood. We have no need of another gatekeeper. She may not be the best, but I wouldn't accept anyone else.

:unsmith:

Sakuya's a decent spare body to trigger Support Attacks off of. She's be more useful if I could savescum Private Square, but yeah.

Meanwhile Marisa will be completely useless against Aya so it's fine to waste all her MP on Momiji.

An ice fairy, hm. You may be a fairy, but I won't treat you lightly.

Ohoho, are you the first to recognize my true strength?

To measure the capabilities of the enemy. That is the duty we were given.

Same goes for Cirno.

My earlier disgrace... today is the day I wipe it away, Hakurei shrine maiden! And you're in top form... that makes fighting you even worthwhile!
EDIT: Thanks again, Hokuto.

Top form...? Actually, now that I think about it, you ambushed us last time too.

Remembering that moment ticks me off. I'll exterminate you quickly and head to Moriya Shrine!

And Reimu nails the finish.

With one boss down, I quickly rearrange the formation so Aya will have zero chance of killing anyone.

Then another formation shift to something that can take her down.

Aya is harmless now so I could theoretically regenerate all of my MP then try for a kill. But unfortunately her evasion is so high that without save scumming it isn't feasible. So I'll have to cheese it.

But first, I have to beat her first lifebar. Sakuya had a pretty decent hit rate so I had her kamikaze. Sadly, no luck.

My apologies, but I must fall back.

Hm, so a fairy came all the way to Youkai Mountain...

Hey! If you're calling me an idiot, you'll be sorry!

No, no, I was just thinking about how fairies do the most interesting things. But then, I suppose that's their nature.

I hoped Cirno could land a Freeze at some point, but she missed every single time.

By the way, I picked up a copy of your paper once. The rain smudged all the ink though, so I couldn't understand it at all.

...I don't think you would have been able to read it anyways.

Ugh, this is all Sunny's fault!

Luna slightly tapped Aya then died. In hindsight I shouldn't have sacrificed Silence, but eh.

Stop dodging Fantasy Seal drat it, it's the only move that actually should be hitting you!

Oh and for some reason Aya's dodge animation breaks against Fantasy Seal. Her sprite doesn't shift to the "dodge" one until after she finishes dodging the whole thing.

I blow my final bomb and then pile on again.

Guh, I can't hold on any longer...!

Or rather I tried to, but Reimu is the only person with a reasonable hit rate and Aya keeps dodging anyways. :argh:

Sorry, but I'm going to go relax in the back.

At this point only close range melee attacks have a chance of hitting, and indeed after a couple misses

Mokou strikes gold.

And then I sat around for six turns straight.

All of my dolls are broken. I'll have to repair them...

I am physically incapable of capturing Aya's last two spells, but this situation is exactly why timing out exists!

You're, you're the person from before at the lake. The really fast tengu...

Oh, so even fairies remember my speed. This might be fate. How about I go to your place for an interview?

Pl-please don't! I think Cirno could tell you more than I can...

Losing Aya's item drop is a shame, but my characters are so buffed up it doesn't matter much.

:toot:

Somebody checked the code and found out that FMW2 doesn't actually penalize you for losing units. It's strange, but again I'm not complaining.

------

The game has been paused. Please take a break.

...At long last, they've arrived at the enemy base, the Moriya shrine. Sanae Kochiya meets them with the utmost seriousness. In order to settle things with Reimu, she has accumulated a vast amount of faith.

But we have all of our friends. We can't lose to a single girl!

Now then, please have fun playing Chapter 22 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "Faith is From the Transient People"!

-----

Available cost: 23.0

Available units:
Marisa
Alice
Sakuya
Meiling
Keine
Mokou
Komachi
(Reimu is force deployed)

Cirno
Elly
Kurumi

Rumia
Daiyousei
Sunny
Luna
Star

As always I'm forcing Marisa and Alice, so you've got 18.0 to work with.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 11, 2015

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

BlitzBlast posted:

Losing Aya's item drop is a shame, but my characters are so buffed up it doesn't matter much.

Not capturing every spell on lunatic is just shameful. :colbert:
As punishment I'm sticking you with Kurumi every chance i get.
Down to 16.0

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The realy picked the completely wrong thing to have Reimu mope about.

Anyway, Sunny.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Ryza posted:

As punishment I'm sticking you with Kurumi every chance i get.

Then Elly gets to come along with her. 12.5 counting Sunny

And did Reimu just make her entire characterization for the past forever useless like that?

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.

Rumia For a remaining 11.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irisize posted:

Then Elly gets to come along with her. 12.5 counting Sunny

And did Reimu just make her entire characterization for the past forever useless like that?

Only for the past few chapters of this game. And suddenly deciding to stop caring about everything other than beating people up is rather in-character for her.

Edit: ignore me I missed that you were forcing Marisa. Komachi it is bringing the total to 8.5

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 13, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I nominate Meiling, my favorite tank, bringing the total to 6.0.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Sakuya is the best, so she clearly needs to come along. 3.5 left.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Mokou.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm one of those reading your translations, and liking them, so thanks for the effort.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlitzBlast posted:

"The Reporter Drove Back The Intruders By Herself!" I bet it'll be a huge hit. The papers will be flying off the presses, so show me your best moves!

This bird fits that line much better :v:

BlitzBlast posted:

Illusionary Dominance pumps Aya's mobility by 40 and her move by 2. Now nobody can hit her without Strike,

assuming you don't just bomb through it.

I guess her dominance really was illusionary. I'd say "better luck next time", but it seems everything's going as Aya wants it to. Just like actual Touhou.

Eeepies posted:

I'm one of those reading your translations, and liking them, so thanks for the effort.

Me too. Keep it on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I really like Momiji for some reason. Probably because she's not being reduced to a joke dog character here. For what it's worth, her basic attacks are "no-slash", where "no" is a Japanese character (の). So basically it's Z-slash or X-slash, except more Japanese.

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it really okay for the teacher of the temple elementary school to be leading an invasion?

In case anyone's confused about this, this doesn't actually mean there's a temple in Gensokyo (yet). It's a historical thing where Buddhist temples founded the first schools available to non-nobility, and the name stuck around even when the temples stopped being involved. Or maybe no one else was confused and I was the only one who even noticed this because someone yelled at me about it before.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Only for the past few chapters of this game. And suddenly deciding to stop caring about everything other than beating people up is rather in-character for her.

This isn't the end of her shrine maiden doubt.

• Locked thread