Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I had no idea what BWP was when a friend handed me a burned VCD of it and said "watch this poo poo". I was very entertained but if I knew what to expect coming in/saw it in a normal movie theater I would have been disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

d0s posted:

I had no idea what BWP was when a friend handed me a burned VCD of it and said "watch this poo poo". I was very entertained but if I knew what to expect coming in/saw it in a normal movie theater I would have been disappointed

Me and my friends went and saw it in the theater when it was at the peak of its hype and it probably ruined it for me. It was ruined for my friend because he got motion sickness while watching it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

This is loving stupid.

Josh as murderer, with varying degrees of cooperation from the others, is a common theory.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Actor Josh was supposed to make it to the end and Mike was supposed to get pulled out in the middle, but Josh and Heather wound up fighting so much and so aggressively that they had to switch it up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah, part of what made editing the massive amount of footage down easier (relatively) was that they cut out almost all the conflict between Josh and Heather otherwise it would seem too much like the two dudes ganging up on her.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nipplebox posted:

Josh as murderer, with varying degrees of cooperation from the others, is a common theory.

It's still really stupid. I'm not disputing that people are idiots who want to ~solve the movie~ like it's a puzzle, I'm saying it's loving stupid.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's really stupid to think that people will watch a movie like this and not want to talk and wonder about what happened, it is also stupid to say you've solved it definitely.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

a kitten posted:

It's really stupid to think that people will watch a movie like this and not want to talk and wonder about what happened

Also not what I'm disputing. I'm saying all these fan theories that are trying to explain what happened are asinine because they miss the point: The movie's scary because, for as real as everything appears to be, there's something very Wrong going on, something inexplicable that is loving with these kids, and that's what makes it scary. That's why trying to explain it is stupid, it misses the point. It's some CinemaSins level film discussion and I hate it and everyone who defends it.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 4, 2014

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Also not what I'm disputing. I'm saying all these fan theories that are trying to explain what happened are asinine because they miss the point: The movie's scary because, for as real as everything appears to be, there's something very Wrong going on, something inexplicable that is loving with these kids, and that's what makes it scary. That's why trying to explain it is stupid, it misses the point. It's some CinemaSins level film discussion and I hate it and everyone who defends it.

You have normal reactions to things people do.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's a very fine line, really. Found Footage Films challenge you to try to solve them, or at least leave you mystified and feeling like you're missing something. That's their entire appeal. There's a certain amount of fun in seeing people trying to make sense of them, and some of them really do have explanations that you can discover if you pay attention, and it's kind of rewarding to figure it out.

On the other hand, approaching them simply as puzzles to be solved is asinine. Not even puzzles are that simplistic as experiences. Like, Tetris is simultaneously a challenging puzzle with nice mechanics, AND a visceral subjective personal experience of these mechanics. The puzzle ceases to be fun, or even an experience, when you don't embrace its second aspect. You become a tetris addict or a found footage autist and basically become another breed of the weirdo in the doc with his old film reels of Rustin Parr and his relentless search for 'the truth'.

Is there a found footage film where people's ideas of what 'the monster' is become true, and the monster slowly conforms more and more to these expectations over time?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling I'm missing something but I don't have time to watch the movie again to check:

Assuming nothing had gone wrong, what were the salient things the group was supposed to record for their documentary? Honestly, it doesn't seem like there was enough there for a student's documentary.

- Film the Cemetery scene
- Film Coffin Rock scene
- Film ???, discover rock cairns (accidentally?)
- Go home because it's the end of the weekend

The only way it makes sense that they had more to do was that only the Cemetery and Coffin Rock scenes were out-in-the-field and the rest was VO stuff, and/or they had planned on coming back next weekend to film more. Or am I missing something?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I have a feeling I'm missing something but I don't have time to watch the movie again to check:

Assuming nothing had gone wrong, what were the salient things the group was supposed to record for their documentary? Honestly, it doesn't seem like there was enough there for a student's documentary.

- Film the Cemetery scene
- Film Coffin Rock scene
- Film ???, discover rock cairns (accidentally?)
- Go home because it's the end of the weekend

The only way it makes sense that they had more to do was that only the Cemetery and Coffin Rock scenes were out-in-the-field and the rest was VO stuff, and/or they had planned on coming back next weekend to film more. Or am I missing something?

Student films are usually shorts, they probably were set to just get a crappy twenty minutes of stories over footage of the woods. One of my favorite things about the film is just how lovely a director Heather is. She's undisciplined, rude, and clueless, just like a student filmmaker would be. A lot of Blair Witch's influences, from Loaded to Symbiopsychotaxiplasm to Cannibal Holocaust are all in their ways absurd horror movies about bad directing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

One of my favorite things about the film is just how lovely a director Heather is. She's undisciplined, rude, and clueless, just like a student filmmaker would be.

It's funny that you brought that up, because Curse Of The Blair Witch has Heather's film teacher on it, and he highly praises her attitude and drive. He then says Josh is a lazy filmmaker who is only in it for the attention and fame.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

penismightier posted:

Student films are usually shorts, they probably were set to just get a crappy twenty minutes of stories over footage of the woods. One of my favorite things about the film is just how lovely a director Heather is. She's undisciplined, rude, and clueless, just like a student filmmaker would be. A lot of Blair Witch's influences, from Loaded to Symbiopsychotaxiplasm to Cannibal Holocaust are all in their ways absurd horror movies about bad directing.

Yeah, I love how she sort of talks over, rushes and leads on the people she's interviewing at the beginning.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Her narrations when reading from the history books are perfectly dopey and overwrought.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

one of my favorite bits in the movie is her line about how it shouldn't be possible to get lost in the woods in America because we've exhausted all our natural resources, because it's such a cluelessly naïve thing to come from a person who's going into the woods to shoot a movie. but unlike in 90% of other found footage movies, where these things come off as lazy idiot-plot decisions, in Blair Witch it comes off as genuine character creation.

it's somewhat hard to appraise the quality of the acting because of the weird circumstances in which the movie was shot, but Heather gives a very strong performance.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hbomberguy posted:

Is there a found footage film where people's ideas of what 'the monster' is become true, and the monster slowly conforms more and more to these expectations over time?

Book Of Shadows is probably the best example, even if it's technically a series of reenactments based on found footage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nipplebox posted:

You have normal reactions to things people do.

You make garbage posts defending stupid bullshit without managing to have the nuts to actually do so, resorting to pass agg bullshit instead, because it's safer to go "nuh uh it's fine" than to talk about why you treat movies like puzzles to be solved. Blow me, junior.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hbomberguy posted:

It's a very fine line, really. Found Footage Films challenge you to try to solve them, or at least leave you mystified and feeling like you're missing something. That's their entire appeal. There's a certain amount of fun in seeing people trying to make sense of them, and some of them really do have explanations that you can discover if you pay attention, and it's kind of rewarding to figure it out.

On the other hand, approaching them simply as puzzles to be solved is asinine. Not even puzzles are that simplistic as experiences. Like, Tetris is simultaneously a challenging puzzle with nice mechanics, AND a visceral subjective personal experience of these mechanics. The puzzle ceases to be fun, or even an experience, when you don't embrace its second aspect. You become a tetris addict or a found footage autist and basically become another breed of the weirdo in the doc with his old film reels of Rustin Parr and his relentless search for 'the truth'.

This on the other hand is a good response and I agree with all the stuff in it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SMG you are trying to trick me into watching Blair Witch 2 and that is NOT OKAY

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The kids I taught the film to a couple of years ago had an interesting discussion - at which point do you think Heather, Michael and Josh were screwed? Were they always doomed, or did they piss off the Blair Witch something fierce when they went and hosed with her stick figures and rocks and poo poo in the clearing, or was there another point that doomed them before that?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I felt it was when Josh knocked over one of the rock cairns, personally.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vagabundo posted:

The kids I taught the film to a couple of years ago had an interesting discussion - at which point do you think Heather, Michael and Josh were screwed? Were they always doomed, or did they piss off the Blair Witch something fierce when they went and hosed with her stick figures and rocks and poo poo in the clearing, or was there another point that doomed them before that?

I think they were always pretty hosed but messing with the witch signs caused poo poo to get real.

Speaking of which, I want to slide to the alternate universe where they go with their original idea of the tent chase having a reveal that their pursuer is a giant stick figure.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I feel like it was when they messed with the rocks and especially figures, since they took one of them (I love that it's not shown, just referred to in dialogue).

E: somehow forgot Josh knocked that pile over. In any case i think they'd have been OK if they hadn't stumbled across those Weird Things.

E:e: maybe

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 4, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

I feel like it was when they messed with the rocks and especially figures, since they took one of them (I love that it's not shown, just referred to in dialogue).

It's shown for like a microsecond, broken, when they go back to the tent and Josh's stuff is covered in KY.

Honestly, I didn't like that it wasn't shown that Heather took one of em. I didn't know it until the commentary and brushed it off as a in-universe goof on Josh's part and/or a sign that he was getting so crazy he was making poo poo up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 4, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

They were always screwed I think, but there's a pretty strong line of action from Josh knocks over rock pile -> goo on Josh's pack -> Josh kidnapped -> Josh gets his tongue ripped out.

weekly font posted:

Speaking of which, I want to slide to the alternate universe where they go with their original idea of the tent chase having a reveal that their pursuer is a giant stick figure.

Sometimes I think the big difference between the quality of Blair Witch and its imitators may be how many big ideas they threw away when they realized they were stupid, like those four alternate endings. This is not very good:

penismightier fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 4, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

This is the plot of the found footage episode of the X-Files.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mantis42 posted:

This is the plot of the found footage episode of the X-Files.

X-Cops is the best X-Files episode.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Book Of Shadows is actually a really good comedy and satire of 90's horror.

I 100% agree with this and also it feels strange agreeing with you and not calling you names. I... I don't know if I like this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

weekly font posted:

X-Cops is the best X-Files episode.

And the best Cops.

Well, second best. Does a drunk midget climbing a lamp post count as found footage horror?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

You make garbage posts defending stupid bullshit without managing to have the nuts to actually do so, resorting to pass agg bullshit instead, because it's safer to go "nuh uh it's fine" than to talk about why you treat movies like puzzles to be solved. Blow me, junior.

Treating the film as moving shapes of light with no meaning beyond the visceral misses the point. Like any good ghost story, it isn't explicitly supernatural, and its ambiguity spurs the imaginations of the audience. It's not about solving a puzzle but comparing the horrors we see in the dark woods. I see a supernatural time warp; others see an elaborate snuff film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hbomberguy posted:

SMG you are trying to trick me into watching Blair Witch 2 and that is NOT OKAY

I can honestly say that, especially when preceded by Shadow Of The Blair Witch, it's one of the great forgotten films of the 1990s.

Since we're on the topic of The X-Files, it's basically like a more darkly comedic version of the episodes Bad Blood and Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nipplebox posted:

Treating the film as moving shapes of light with no meaning beyond the visceral misses the point. Like any good ghost story, it isn't explicitly supernatural, and its ambiguity spurs the imaginations of the audience. It's not about solving a puzzle but comparing the horrors we see in the dark woods. I see a supernatural time warp; others see an elaborate snuff film.

Also not a thing I'm arguing. You should work on your literacy skills.

Also if your idea of deeper meaning is arguing over whether or not they went back in time or if Josh did it then I question your idea of deeper meaning.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 5, 2014

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

You're bad at this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nipplebox posted:

You're bad at this.

Says the guy who only makes a point half of the time. Come on bro, defend labeling fan theorize that only attempt to recast the events of the plot as deeper meaning. Do it. I wanna see it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

There's an episode of Supernatural which parodies the "ghost hunter" shows and features a creature that's literally born out of people's imaginations.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0763064/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

There's an episode of Supernatural which parodies the "ghost hunter" shows and features a creature that's literally born out of people's imaginations.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0763064/

X-Files did it as an episode of COPS that was filmed with an actual COPS film crew.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

So SMG, as a found footage fan, (and everyone else for that matter) do you think any of the later ones are as good Blair Witch?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

penismightier posted:

So SMG, as a found footage fan, (and everyone else for that matter) do you think any of the later ones are as good Blair Witch?

I mean I don't particularly think Blair Witch is that great as a movie to watch as opposed to being a neat thing to discuss for how ground breaking it was, but I've always thought Paranormal Activity is neck and neck with it, but only the original. I like the idea of the camera being the downfall, and suburban nightmares in the form of a demon is way more interesting toe than Ghost Woods even if the Ghost House scene is my favorite short horror film ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

penismightier posted:

REC, Chronicle, Paranormal Activity: the Marked Ones, The Last Exorcism.

• Locked thread