Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Welp, having lots of fun. Unlocked Cain by getting the dollar and Lazarus entirely by accident, and I just got three Guppy items, so thats gonna be fun.

On the other hand, Zero-G + Little Planet makes the game HARD AS gently caress, never picking those two up together again.

Edit: Man, that Guppy item run was loving bizarre. Got the Bible, killed mom with it to get the halo (my first mom kill), and somehow completed challange #20 (the purist) of all loving things. Anyone know why that happened?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

The game is UP on PSN and free for PS+ users.

Go get it folks!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Secret Rooms no longer need to be surrounded by three rooms?

(The room to my left is the top-secret room.)

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 4, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My first run I daddy's long legs, goat head, a bunch of HP plus items and money = power. Needless to say I unlocked Azazel and beat Mom on my first run.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Wow, Azazel is bugged in TWO ways. His black hearts don't count as regular hearts OR soul hearts, meaning getting hit doesn't take away from the X Boy achievements. I just got Basement Boy as Azazel even though I got hit like 3 times.
I got Basement Boy in spite of taking a red-heart hit as Isaac, I think it's just bugged in general.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the maps are much more complex so i doubt that secret rooms are going to be as braindead easy to find as they were before

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Just had a Devil Room that had 3 free red chests instead of deals. Huh.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
17 death and I just reached the fourth level. Any tips for newcomers?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've had devil rooms that contain any combination of: black hearts, red chests, free items, normal items. Up to three of the above.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Has anyone played this on vita yet? If so, does it run well? I love BoI and a portable version sounds amazing if it's a good port.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think I just noticed I've been playing on "hard". Is that the default mode? Whats the main difference between that and normal?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It feels nice to get to Sheol and kill Satan on your first run after killing Mom.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Aardvark Barber posted:

The game is UP on PSN and free for PS+ users.

Go get it folks!

:woop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I beat Mom taking no damage and the wall exploded, revealing a crevice that led to a Sheol-like room with 4 endgame-ish items on it. I picked one up and the rest vanished, and then I fought 12 bosses in a row, two at a time. It was loving awesome.

edit: Wait, it's still going. I'm up to 16 now. I think they're gonna have me fight every non-mom boss in the game somehow.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Goddamn Azazel is probably my go-to in this game, both times I've played him I made it to Mom's Heart without any trouble whatsoever.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I think I just noticed I've been playing on "hard". Is that the default mode? Whats the main difference between that and normal?

Normal is the default. No idea what the difference is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infestation 2 owns so hard.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

17 death and I just reached the fourth level. Any tips for newcomers?

Distance is key to surviving encounters. Always be dodging. Play Azazel :unsmigghh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was right, they had me fight every boss in the entire game. Here are some pics of the carnage.

This game is loving incredible.

Here's what I got for my trouble:

Along with Daddy's Love (the daddy long legs one) which I missed a screencap of.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 4, 2014

iodine
Jul 26, 2001

This is the first game in a long time that I've bought day one of it being on sale, and oh man, it's good. If you liked anything about the original Binding of Isaac or roguelikes in general this is pretty much a magnum opus of the genre. And it runs like silk.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just got home from work and on the 2nd run. Thought this was cool

You can see the effects of the Toothpicks even behind the mask!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

vandiar posted:

Anyone find out what the key donation machines pay out? I imagine the reward has to be amazing for that high of a cost

I found a key-begger who pooped out 2 grey chests for the 6 keys I had to give him.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Trip Report:

-Beat Mom's Heart AND Satan on my 2nd run. Defeating Satan DOES NOT count as a Mom kill.

-Orbital Planet can go die in hell. Makes it absoluetly impossible to aim and lord help you if you get Range ups. Still managed to make it to the womb but drat.

-Purple Heart trinket (description:Challenge Mode) raises every enemy in the room to their strongest form or the one from the next floor on. So for example if a room had Leeches, they'll all be white or Bomb Leeches.

The whole no mouse support is from some Tyrone person on Nicalis, I recall seeing them say "Almost no one wants to play this without a controller anyway" or something stupid like that.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Let's play a little game: can you guess what made this run overpowered ?

get this game

I also went on a trip in the all boss fight room unscathed with this.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Found a really weird room configuration on Basement 1. It had the Infestation in it... except it was completely surrounded by Metal blocks. Seems like no one but Azazel could possibly pick this up.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

vandiar posted:

Anyone find out what the key donation machines pay out? I imagine the reward has to be amazing for that high of a cost

Yeah, I gave all four of my keys to one of those guys, and he spit out a locked chest. What a oval office.

Anyways, to be clear: I know basically none of the kewl secrets about BoI that many people find basic knowledge to play, and find it really hard where others think it's super easy. Just got my second Mom win ever by walking into a... dice room? Random room? I have no idea what happened, but I ended up like this.

I moved my laser star all over the damned place, killing poo poo left and right, it wasn't even fair. I think I know what people are talking about when they say you can get OP combos in BoI; I've never seen one before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

you need to calm down. i am sure it will be fixed. right now you're being petulant and unreasonable. sometimes bugs happen but it shall be fixed without this level of hyperbole.

I eagerly await the day when digital consumer rights hit the same level as physical ones. I want I just return this non-functioning game and get my money back. I'll pick it back up later down the road when it's actually working. As it stands now, I have to contact steam support and wait 12-36 hours between replies and probably provide the same information 3 or 4 times over because their little copy-pasted flow chat responses require it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Aw man, my first run and I was shooting tears bigger than Isaac's head at machine-gun speeds. Of course it had to end on the Mom fight.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

jivjov posted:

I eagerly await the day when digital consumer rights hit the same level as physical ones. I want I just return this non-functioning game and get my money back. I'll pick it back up later down the road when it's actually working. As it stands now, I have to contact steam support and wait 12-36 hours between replies and probably provide the same information 3 or 4 times over because their little copy-pasted flow chat responses require it.

why not just wait until it gets patched instead of burning your one guaranteed steam refund on a bug that doesn't affect everyone and will likely be fixed in 24 hours?

Luceid fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 4, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just me or are secret rooms much weaker in this one? I keep getting 2 bombs or 2 keys instead of cash or collectibles.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!
First run, just about ready to take on Mom, I hunt for hearts, which naturally is disasterous since my items are a bit mediocre. I end up finding a double-locked door with two chests, I unlock one, step in the middle... and holy poo poo every single item is changed. My inventory is a mixture of really odd items like Mitre, Wafer, that Monstro-style charge spread attack with poison, two familiars including Rainbow Baby.

I knew this game would have a lot more added, but it was an actual shock to stumble upon that room.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

dis astranagant posted:

Is it just me or are secret rooms much weaker in this one? I keep getting 2 bombs or 2 keys instead of cash or collectibles.

They're about the same for me as they always were so far.

Has anyone gotten Little Brimstone yet? What a good pal he is.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
loving Marowaks! :argh:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
First run and I beat mom. Second run pitch black challenge, got max damage, laser tears, homing tears, path of tears, laser eye baby, bloody tear baby, blood trail baby, beat mom.

Stop making me feel like I'm good at video games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ain't it great when an "improved" remake of a game is actually, legitimately improved?

Man, this owns.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The brimstone wall spiders in the Womb are perhaps the worst new enemy in the game.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Anyone else playing this on a Mac? My screen goes black every time one of the boss characters lands after a jump... I assume there's supposed to be some sort of earthquake effect that isn't working.

From a while ago, but yes, this happens to me with Monstro and some other boss. However, trying to fight Mom's Heart has the black screen the entire fight. So I quit out of the game hoping that I can pick that playthrough again when it's fixed.

Using a retina screen for what it's worth. Might pick up the game on my desktop PC running Windows 7 to finish off that fight.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I got a Tanuki suit. Getting no damage will be a lot easier with it - you can just turn to stone and let your orbitals/daddy long legs do the work for you.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Those cubone motherfuckers may be my least favorite new enemy so far, as well as the walking turret guys. So many deaths :gonk:

Just got my first win against Basic Mom (as Cain). Found some space-bar item that did damage to everything in the room for 1 cent and just spammed it, since I had a ton of cash. My Evil was really high and I had a ton of dark hearts, so things were pretty smooth even though I only had one red heart anymore.

Also, this may just be some weird cognitive bias, but it feels like Luck actually makes a difference in this game, which I'm enjoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kaethela posted:

Normal is the default. No idea what the difference is.

You sure about this? I'm pretty sure my copy defaulted to hard.

Incidentally, if you choose hard, when you actually start the game, it flips back to normal just as the screen fades out. I don't know if it's resetting the actual difficulty, or if it's just a visual thing, but it's a bit odd.

e: Hard. Mine defaulted to hard.